Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some SIGIL gameplay here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VibM9vCguc

Also, livestreaming from Romero himself: https://www.twitch.tv/theromero

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apparently Romero said SIGIL is limit removing with a Dehacked file for par times.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Negrostrike posted:

Some SIGIL gameplay here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VibM9vCguc

Also, livestreaming from Romero himself: https://www.twitch.tv/theromero

this looks fun as hell

manero
Jan 30, 2006

SIGIL looks awesome, and I hope Romero does well!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

The Kins posted:

John Romero has announced SIGIL, a free Doom 1 mod containing 9 SP maps and 9 DM maps coming in mid-February. In addition, a bonus physical release(?!) is being put up for pre-order including music by Buckethead(!) and general physical silliness.

loving preordered. Buckethead and a new Doom episode by Romero? Christ this is awesome.

Though I do kinda wish it was Blacksite to be honest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My prayers for more Romero doom levels have been answered!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBx0UbmlEOc

Doom fucken owns. This thread owns. Here's to two more decades and beyond of demon rear end kicking.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Danny should talk normally in his videos. The TV documentary intonation is very annoying.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
slapper

https://soundcloud.com/something_other/no-remorse

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, I just gave John Romero my money. Don't let me down.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I got the limited edition because I have way too much love for Doom and I really do need a pewter Romero head I mean come on

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Kins posted:

John Romero has announced SIGIL, a free Doom 1 mod containing 9 SP maps and 9 DM maps coming in mid-February. In addition, a bonus physical release(?!) is being put up for pre-order including music by Buckethead(!) and general physical silliness.

Hot Dang. I was already going to play through my Dooms again in 2019, this gives me a whole extra thing to look forward to.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Hey guys this new game called Dusk just came out, the trailer looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbqNRDPd5_k

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HolyKrap posted:

What's with those graphics? :wtc:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There's actually one in-progress on this very website, in fact: Ripping and Tearing For All Eternity -- Let's Play ~20 Years of Doom. It's probably not what you had in mind, though.

It isn't, but that's still pretty great. :v:

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
I wanted to play the original Rainbow six again so I found my disc that I bought when it came out and ran the installer on my Windows 98 machine. Unfortunately at the end of the installation it tries to install directx and this message pops up:

After I click ok it just says internal error occured:

After this the installer quits and everything is automatically uninstalled. Before the installation I had Directx 9 installed which worked just fine in other games. I then tried directx eradicator to remove directx completely but no luck with that.
Have tried googling a lot and checked archive.org for old FAQ´s on Redstorms site but no mention of this. I did try the CD in a Windows 95 machine (which have never had Directx installed) and it worked there so the CD is fine.
Anyone got any ideas for how to solve this?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Yeah, gently caress those mandatory DirectX installers forever.
I had some random Star Trek game hose an install of Windows 2000 that way once.
I'm pretty sure it installed an earlier version on top of what I had.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

What are the system requirements? Will it run on my Riva TNT?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Unlike you people who has been played already, I started Dusk today with my virgin eyes... and hey, it's great!

I'm at the sixth level right now, and more than the cultists and demons, what i'm fearing is the end of the episode title, as I'm not sure how long is the game in the first place. 9 levels per episode? more?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
10 + 1 secret level for each episode

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Are the second and third episodes notably harder? First episode is pretty easy, I will replay it on the next difficulty on the weekend.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the 'i can take it' difficulty isn't massively hard to work through, but some scenarios in the later episodes will be a bit hairy despite that and i can imagine if they're on a level above that they might be a nightmare

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Second and third episodes are definitely harder. This isn’t like a crazy hard game but some of the tougher enemy types aren’t in the first episode at all.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I guess if I could take issue with one thing, I'm not hot on DUSK dumping all of your weapons every episode. I've just never really liked games that give you like one or two maps with all the weapons then take them away.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not having all the enemies in the first episode and not letting you keep anything between episodes definitely fits in with the 90s shareware FPS aesthetic though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I like that you have to stock up on guns again every episode. It’s a deliberate pacing decision that allows each episode to build up intensity rather than throwing everything at you from the start, and the use of secrets to hide weapons means that if you are looking around well enough you get more than just a couple levels with a full arsenal.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So wait, Dusk just came out, we got the Cacowards 25th anniversary special, a cool Quake Xmas map jam, announcement of a Blood remaster and a new Romero Doom episode all within the last week? :stare:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

finding secrets definitely gets you more than a few weapons early on and lets you have a good amount of time with them. they absolutely went hard into emulating how those older games functioned, and i kind of like how the decision lets them build up each episode instead of having to balance around the idea of someone waddling in strapped to the gills at every point.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

skasion posted:

I like that you have to stock up on guns again every episode. It’s a deliberate pacing decision that allows each episode to build up intensity rather than throwing everything at you from the start, and the use of secrets to hide weapons means that if you are looking around well enough you get more than just a couple levels with a full arsenal.

The other nice thing is that it makes intruder mode (where you start each level with just sickles) totally viable. It adds a lot to the game's replayability. I'm starting back with episode 1 instead of jumping right into the new one and ciero miedo+intruder means even the easier levels still keep you on your toes while being very fair.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

So wait, Dusk just came out, we got the Cacowards 25th anniversary special, a cool Quake Xmas map jam, announcement of a Blood remaster and a new Romero Doom episode all within the last week? :stare:

Yeah, this is pretty much the best week for classic FPS games. :toot:

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Convex posted:

didnt hear about the blood remaster thats pretty cool

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Convex posted:

Don't forget Eviternity

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Retro gaming finally came full circle and now it's just gaming again

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Don't forget Eviternity

Wow I hadn't heard about that, is it good?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Gobblecoque posted:

The other nice thing is that it makes intruder mode (where you start each level with just sickles) totally viable. It adds a lot to the game's replayability. I'm starting back with episode 1 instead of jumping right into the new one and ciero miedo+intruder means even the easier levels still keep you on your toes while being very fair.

I'm half-way through episode 3 and I can't wait for it to end so I can go through the whole game again in Intruder mode.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I realize it was deliberate. I get more annoyed if the weapon reacquisition is paced the same so you get all the weapons at similar points through each episode. DUSK can get you back up to shape within a level or two, so it doesn't even bug me that much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

episode 3 even has a neat assortment of weapons starting out and delays giving you some of the more 'traditional' ones until a little bit in. having the sword, crossbow and mortar as your main arsenal for a bit is pretty cool, and the moment they finally give you the super shotgun is pretty well planned out.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah it was kinda neat how you get a different starting lineup than you'd expect.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

treat posted:

I'm half-way through episode 3 and I can't wait for it to end so I can go through the whole game again in Intruder mode.

Yeah it's a blast. It changes the dynamic of every level in a cool way and really makes you appreciate the level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Convex posted:

Wow I hadn't heard about that, is it good?

Yes.