Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chumbler posted:

Haven't played either of their games.

Was The Big O the last piece of media you consumed (that's OK if so it's pretty good)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ashen looks cool and I will play it when it comes out on steam and goes on sale

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK I think fps melee sucks balls. Dark souls is strictly better than king's field.

Something king's field does better than any souls game by far is its version of trap chests where instead of just having a mimic chest, they'll have skeleton chests.

Nothing quite like opening a chest and just seeing a skeleton rise up out of it to slash you dead

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCr0fWVWYMM

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Who doesn't love Big O?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7r6A6YQdtI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I loved visiting the Big O in deus ex human revolution

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

axelblaze posted:

Don't troll friend

Anyways, there's been a further development
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1072121573371510786

Hang on I thought the poster was joke.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nier a has a witch time dodge so it's better than like 2/3rds of all combats

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety_...171610797428737

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verranicus posted:

Lol why is everything open world now
BG&E was always trying to be open world, even long before the Ubi open world got codified.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thanks drake

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ninja: Drake made saying the n-word cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chev posted:

BG&E was always trying to be open world, even long before the Ubi open world got codified.

The first BG&E used the Zelda structure- an overworld with a few things to do in it and periodic evolutions/interstitial quests, but mostly a fixed sequence of dungeons accessed at different points in that overworld.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 10, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Millions of Twitch streamers, and thousands of them are massively more interesting to watch than Ninja, and somehow this dipshit with that hair is the most popular gamer.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never heard of him, do I also have to turn in my gamer card?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
He's the guy who was all "I can't play video games with other women, it'd feel like I'm cheating on my wife" or something like that yeah?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

He's the guy who was all "I can't play video games with other women, it'd feel like I'm cheating on my wife" or something like that yeah?

Yup, well, he won’t stream with women because the chat will think he’s sleeping with them.

So he streamed Fortnite with Ellen DeGeneres.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

he’s the one that said the n word during a heated gaming moment, because that’s all of them

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Taintrunner posted:

Yup, well, he won’t stream with women because the chat will think he’s sleeping with them.

As funny as it is on the face of it, at least his logic is consistent. *points at forehead* Can't be seduced by a lesbian.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

he’s the one that said the n word during a heated gaming moment, because that’s all of them

I’m not proud to admit it, but I too have called someone a noob.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bet Ellen and ninja are fuckin

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

:frogout:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beyond good & evil 1 was good because it understood how to pace storytelling and character writing in a way that was fun and engaged you in the world and setting, nothing they've showed about beyond good & evil 2 looks appealing in the same way the first game was and honestly bringing jade and pey'j back into things is only making me expect less because now it still isn't continuing on from the first game but it also isn't giving a new cast their own story so what the gently caress is the point

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jay Rust, tell us how you ended up being put into Super Paper Mario

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

By my reckoning, everyone in this thread is a noob

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nintendo put Dead to Rights in Smash

e: but only if there's a story mode where all the other smashers say "See You In Hell, Jack Slate" at the end

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

By my reckoning, everyone in this thread is a noob

Extremely rude to call me out like that in front of a bunch of cute people.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I mean he's probably right on that but it's still a dimb reason.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rot in loving hell article that cringe was atrocious.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oh boy a misogynist racist piece of talking pigshit, who will be phased out in two years when he stops being the Cool New Thing and starts to lose revenue because he has no other plans or skills, has made an already-mainstream hobby cool!

*looks over at the horde of mouth-leaking Nazis who loudly identify as Gamers*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black August posted:

oh boy a misogynist racist piece of talking pigshit, who will be phased out in two years when he stops being the Cool New Thing and starts to lose revenue because he has no other plans or skills, has made an already-mainstream hobby cool!

You misread the article headline

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

The first BG&E used the Zelda structure- an overworld with a few things to do in it and periodic evolutions/interstitial quests, but mostly a fixed sequence of dungeons accessed at different points in that overworld.
Yeah, but that's the result of them trying and failing to be an open world. If you look at interviews and concept trailers from back then you'll see their vision was an open world with multiple planets already, it's just that now they have the tech and know how to match their ambitions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thank You Drake of the 99 Dragons

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Very forward-thinking for Keighley to give the nod to a streamer who has already dropped slurs instead of waiting for it to come out in the next couple of months.

In the meantime, PewDiePie desperately trying to keep up by now just blatantly recommending his viewers follow explicitly Nazi streamers

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Colonel posted:

the sega saturn wasn't an awful system, it's just that the vast majority of its library that was worth owning was japan-exclusive. it got a lot of arcade-perfect ports of cult classic shmups with a number of added enhancements like radiant silvergun's story mode, and in japan there was actually a decently big number of rpgs and poo poo that took advantage of its 2D capabilities really well, including some really noteworthy deep cuts from sega themselves like wachenroder, a german industrial-themed srpg with some guest music done by ian mcdonald of king crimson, because apparently ian mcdonald of king crimson was just kind of bumming around doing music in japan at the time

it's just, they completely botched the system's release in the west in the worst way physically possible which meant basically no western third parties bothered with it and no retailers wanted to stock it because sega had completely hosed a number of them over on the announcement and either they hadn't recceived stock yet or didn't know that stock was supposed to be selling right then and there. then you have the president of sega of the us at the time trying to drop the sega saturn entirely and jump straight to the dreamcast and rejecting tons of localizations of noteworthy japanese saturn games and that's why you have a system where in the west your only real options for games are panzer dragoon and mr. bones

Sega of America did this as part of an infight with the Japanese HQ because their brain child, the 32X, had to take a backseat to the big console. Long story short, the US branch produced massive losses (I kept hearing numbers around $150m in the first quarter of 96 :eyepop:) that almost sunk the whole company and got the US management replaced by SoJ.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm glad that Drake saved gaming

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm surprised Drake cares about gaming, it's way older than 15.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

Are you implying zelda games are not open world?

Most open world content is fixed. Open world is not procgen. It sounds like you're comparing zelda to a roguelike, not an open world game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

Haha

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black August posted:

Two years? I'd be surprised if he's still popular in 6 months.

Haven't heard about pewdiepie or logan paul in months, thank jeebus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you implying zelda games are not open world?

Most open world content is fixed. Open world is not procgen. It sounds like you're comparing zelda to a roguelike, not an open world game.

Breath of the Wild is open world and Between Worlds is arguable once you reach a certain point but the other Zeldas are built around gating your progress until you acquire a certain item and that's the big "this isn't open world" qualifier for me. Some open world games will gate you through the narrative but the Zelda series has different flavors of doors blocking you whether it's a literal key or a fence only a horse can jump over for some reason.