Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i see it a little bit differently, and i think this veers into conspiracy theory. understandable enough. but here's my take:

you are correct that U.S. imperialism is short-sighted and opportunistic, and it is constantly "tilting" and "signaling" around, with the principle goal in the middle east of (a) hostility to iran and (b) creating markets for weapons, investments, and keeping various countries dependent on the united states made possible via courting influence in political parties, key industries, military branches and intelligence agencies.

immediately before the gulf war, the U.S. did not see saddam as no longer useful. on the contrary, the U.S. opted to hedge closer to iraq, considering the fact that saddam had been weakened by the iran war and was himself willing to reach some kind of closer partnership with the united states, which also didn't want to rely too much on the saudis (again, better to have a generalized atmosphere of "chaos" which opens up pathways for the flow of weapons, investments, superpower dependencies that make U.S. imperialism possible...).

you are also aware of how before the iraqi invasion of kuwait, the U.S. ambassador to iraq was telling them that their border issue with kuwait was none of "our" concern. but i think this overture to saddam basically blew up in the bush administration's face; they didn't expect him to actually invade a U.S. ally. the ambassador would later say "we never expected they would take all of kuwait." i believe she was telling the truth. you know -- we'll let you revise the border a bit, to stop the horizontal drilling, etc.

that was the "signal" to saddam that the U.S. was willing to pay that price for his dependency.

this is kissinger diplomacy. which is natural enough, because the bush administration staffed itself with his people from kissinger, associates. the goal is "mutually-assured destabilization." no war but no peace. no winner or loser. just maximum "realpolitik." and saddam's refusal to play a lot with the tilt-and-signal game, or misinterpreting the U.S. "signal" as a green light, is why he was punished.

fair enough, that makes sense. it was definitely america’s misstep too, as we thought saddam hussein wouldn’t misread our “signals” so badly (saddam had aspergers, my new Medium article). so we could have prevented the war if we had made it extremely clear that any attack on kuwait was unacceptable, but we can’t say what we mean in diplomacy because we gotta be cute and coy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

HerraS posted:

like most things in the middle east this thread went to poo poo immediately after an israeli touched it lol

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

HerraS posted:

like most things in the middle east this thread went to poo poo immediately after an israeli touched it lol

goddamn lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HerraS posted:

congrats

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused here. So lets say hypothetically, for the sake of argument, that Saddam took power in a coup in which he forced half of the sitting MP's to execute the other half on allegations of a treasonous plot, immediately invaded Iran in a war of conquest for the glory of Iraq, and upon its failure, immediately declared another for Kuwait, all the while persecuting the hell out of Kurdish and Shia minorities. Were that to be the case, how should we, the working class, react to what would amount to fascism trying to gain more power in the world? Since the US is obviously not in any of your visions for a solution to such things, I don't see any need to mention that country in your responses, tia.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Volkerball posted:

I'm confused here. So lets say hypothetically, for the sake of argument, that Saddam took power in a coup in which he forced half of the sitting MP's to execute the other half on allegations of a treasonous plot, immediately invaded Iran in a war of conquest for the glory of Iraq, and upon its failure, immediately declared another for Kuwait, all the while persecuting the hell out of Kurdish and Shia minorities. Were that to be the case, how should we, the working class, react to what would amount to fascism trying to gain more power in the world? Since the US is obviously not in any of your visions for a solution to such things, I don't see any need to mention that country in your responses, tia.

what if satan just rose from the goddamn ground and took over iraq? would you drat liberals be ok with invading then? i bet you wouldnt. despicable.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

who the hell let volkerball in here

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Muscle Wizard posted:

what if satan just rose from the goddamn ground and took over iraq? would you drat liberals be ok with invading then? i bet you wouldnt. despicable.

if you don't have an answer please wait patiently for others who are smarter than you to do so, thanks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

we need a strong leader like hillary clinton to keep middle east tyrants in check imo

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Volkerball posted:

if you don't have an answer please wait patiently for others who are smarter than you to do so, thanks

:jerkbag:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

nah man, what IF this happened, minus all the context that happened around it.

yeah. bet you didn't think of that. maybe next time you'll realize you gotta break some eggs to make an omlette. QED.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

we already had a solution to Iraqi saddam style islamofascism

thank you president boosh

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
and they lived happily ever after

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

No, actually we should prioritize taking out the top sponsor of fascism in the world and invade the US first.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Volkerball, come to think of it, since you're so concerned about fascism, then why haven't you gone all urban guerilla yet?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what part of "not our problem" is so hard to understand about military intervention

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
saddam was an imminent threat

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
nothing inoculates the world against fascism like a violent militarized society periodically savaging a rotating cast of geopolitical villains all of whom were our allies until they weren't for some weird reason

THS
Sep 15, 2017

invade brazil

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
WORLD. POLICE.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know what part of "not our problem" is so hard to understand about military intervention

but what if the problem is LITERALLY HITLER

bet ya didn't think about that brain genious

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

THS posted:

invade brazil

it's not the syria or the middle east, but yea, I can dig this intervention.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
skimmed a bunch but to the guy who was saying the migrant temp worker slaves in Kuwait would've remained as such there's a reason that only the gulf oil monarchies have em and not the actual Arab countries with significant populations; they have a huge segment of their own population looking for work and hungry. They'd probably have been thrown out of the country

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

nothing inoculates the world against fascism like a violent militarized society periodically savaging a rotating cast of geopolitical villains all of whom were our allies until they weren't for some weird reason

I remember some lovely political cartoon with a weary George w bush castigating some intransigent peaceniks with "Saddam gasses his own people"

Man I wonder who supplied him with that poo poo. My memory's bad

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've no dog in the fight these last few pages except to point out Theodore "Ted" Postol is a loving crackpot nowadays. It's not that he never did worthwhile work, but he went off the deep end at some point and has been into some wild poo poo and conspiracy-mongering.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

I've no dog in the fight these last few pages except to point out Theodore "Ted" Postol is a loving crackpot nowadays. It's not that he never did worthwhile work, but he went off the deep end at some point and has been into some wild poo poo and conspiracy-mongering.

yeah unfortunately he seems to have dove full into the "pundit who is an expert in the field" but he's broadened his expertise from ballistic missiles to whatever he feels like talking about

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And even in the field of missiles, he's done poo poo like declare that Iron Dome or other systems don't work based on stuff like dark cell phone footage where he decides that the system is failing based on "Reasons." Then when confronted about it, he just throws back to stuff that hasn't been valid since the mid 1990s as evidence. Or points to things like rockets/missiles landing in open, uninhabited desert, which are areas where air defense forces generally make a conscious decision not to place resources or waste expensive interceptors.

This body armor doesn't work! How do I know? A bullet hit that berm 100 yards away!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Erdogan update: still lusting for kurd death

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1072803572994195457

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I lust for war between the US and another NATO country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

And even in the field of missiles, he's done poo poo like declare that Iron Dome or other systems don't work based on stuff like dark cell phone footage where he decides that the system is failing based on "Reasons." Then when confronted about it, he just throws back to stuff that hasn't been valid since the mid 1990s as evidence. Or points to things like rockets/missiles landing in open, uninhabited desert, which are areas where air defense forces generally make a conscious decision not to place resources or waste expensive interceptors.

I wonder if they've ever beefed with the Arms Control Wonk guys

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017

Turkey has been saying the same thing for years while occasionally occasionally firing across the border. They are removing their border wall in a few spots like they did before the Afrin invasion, so, :shrug:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

They've removed that part of the wall before though, and they've been making these threats for a long time: https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/86buh2/turkish_army_has_removed_part_of_the_border_wall/

No idea what Erdogan is actually planning. It might just be him trying to disrupt the Hajin operation

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
What if instead of Erdogan he was Erdobong, and instead of lighting up Kurdish civilians he lite up WEEEED.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurd Kush Koma

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

What if instead of Erdogan he was Erdobong, and instead of lighting up Kurdish civilians he lite up WEEEED.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erdobogart that joint

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line is that it wasn't worth going to war with Iraq and killing all those people, just to preserve the integrity of Kuwait. A country that only exists today because of the special status it got as a British protectorate. Certainly not considering all the consequences that would come a decade down the line.

Also the US enabled Saddam to start the crisis in the first place, first by giving him a new army after losing the old one to the Iranians, then by telling him Americans wouldn't intervene in Arab conflicts.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I lust for war between the US and another NATO country

idk if the Americans will stay and fight but if Turkey actually does invade northern Syria there'll be more pointless bloodshed than you can shake a stick at, you're gonna love it my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1073551817894756352?s=19

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1073531893965037569?s=19