Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Maybe there's a secret Boeing contract where a flightsim for Xbox was developed that can only run on Microsoft hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

goondolences. is your cv up-to-date?

Yep, I've been here for 6 months, and extremely excited to be working with a product that wasn't Microsoft. Amazing.

Although this is just me guessing, I haven't heard rumors or anything, it's just that I think this is something Microsoft would love to have.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol how come no one told me walmart is making their own line of gaming PCs? varicolor led keyboard lighting and all

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/10/18131156/walmart-gaming-pc-overpowered-17-plus-laptop-review

surprise! theyre poo poo (verge score 5.0, which is like a -2 on a normal 1-10 scale)

FMguru fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 10, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one thing that i think both sony and microsoft are carefully avoiding saying is how much a difference it makes that they have both turned into pc oem's on that front. i have little doubt that the r&d costs have decreased *substantially*. but obviously it is important for marketing to keep the old vision of them developing hugely advanced and complicated systems for the very *discerning* shut-in nerd, rather than, for example, boxing up an amd apu on the cheap

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FMguru posted:

lol how come no one told me walmart is making their own line of gaming PCs? varicolor led keyboard lighting and all

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/10/18131156/walmart-gaming-pc-overpowered-17-plus-laptop-review

surprise! theyre poo poo (verge score 5.0, which is like a -2 on a normal 1-10 scale)

Yeah, well they're laptops in 2018, that's a given

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one thing that i think both sony and microsoft are carefully avoiding saying is how much a difference it makes that they have both turned into pc oem's on that front.

sony offloaded its pc and laptop division 5 years ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

this is just the latest generation of compal whitelable poo poo with the usual terrible hardware choices, bad design, and insufficient batteries, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

who bought it?

i guess that's why i haven't seen any vaios in some time

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

some japanese investment firm

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

The keyboard/trackpad aren't very good and a 1060 isn't enough to take advantage of the refresh rate but these are pretty common problems on tons of laptops. Support basically consisted of being able to replace the laptop if necessary, but that's basically the same as any other laptop.

So basically it's the same as an average laptop by any other company.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

graph posted:

some posts got in between; that was a comment on the (non)profitability of the xbox business, specifically why microsoft isn't clearer on the subject

as in: both the xbox one and ps4 are pretty straightforward amd apu pc's (not actual pc's, but a lot of that amounts to some not very complicated cost-cutting they do), making the r&d a lot cheaper than it used to be e.g. back when sega flamed out of the business. it would be incredibly bad marketing to have that perception spread to the actual fans though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

Maybe there's a secret Boeing contract where a flightsim for Xbox was developed that can only run on Microsoft hardware

us army bought 100000 hololenses

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

us army bought 100000 hololenses

my alma mater staked the entire future of the med school on hlolens

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

graph posted:

my alma mater staked the entire future of the med school on hlolens
i hope you provided anonymous feedback to stake the dean of med school

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

graph posted:

some japanese investment firm

that's too bad; there were some nice, well designed vaios

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

one thing that i think both sony and microsoft are carefully avoiding saying is how much a difference it makes that they have both turned into pc oem's on that front. i have little doubt that the r&d costs have decreased *substantially*. but obviously it is important for marketing to keep the old vision of them developing hugely advanced and complicated systems for the very *discerning* shut-in nerd, rather than, for example, boxing up an amd apu on the cheap

There's a reason Cerny was talking up standard features of the architecture back at the reveal in 2013 as if they were special innovations made specifically for PS4. And Microsoft is doing the same, marketing banalities like a vapor chamber cooler like it's some brand new high-tech innovation.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
My predictions: sony will improve vr support, but will not make it mandatory. Ms will make the console backwards compatible from the start and will hype the first console to be backwards compatible to 3 earlier generations. Also game pass.

And of course bigger numbers = better than

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure VR is out for the next generation. PSVR, the most popular headset, is barely selling. There's a palpable lack of interest by the public.

Both consoles will be backwards compatible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert posted:

I'm pretty sure VR is out for the next generation. PSVR, the most popular headset, is barely selling. There's a palpable lack of interest by the public.

Both consoles will be backwards compatible.

public won't care for vr until it can play real games in vr. no one cares about 30 polygon model fighters, and no console can run skyrim vr at 90 frames stable at non-laughable resolution (idk if psvr has asw)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft doesn't want to give up the livingroom. the xbox is currently too expensive to replace a roku, but I wonder if they're betting on moving to game streaming in the future to make super cheap consoles viable. alternatively they could just release new versions every 2 years and the games released run on every version going back x releases, just with different prebaked graphics settings., like theres certainly no reason the next xbox couldn't run xbox one games cause they're just newer versions of the same thing, instead of some garbage fire ppc like the 360.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i just crawled right up my own rear end found the most mindblowing revelation: during the microsoft presentation, sony representatives come to the stage and they make some kind of a crossplay pledge, where all future multiplayer games are crossplay enabled between consoles*

* (if the developer chooses to)

MISAKA
Dec 10, 2018
Isnt that the complete antithesis to the whole "console" model? Consoles are made or broken by how good the exclusives are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

i just crawled right up my own rear end found the most mindblowing revelation: during the microsoft presentation, sony representatives come to the stage and they make some kind of a crossplay pledge, where all future multiplayer games are crossplay enabled between consoles*

* (if the developer chooses to)

doubtfully, it took fortnite and all gaming press to force sony buckle on the issue

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft doesn't want to give up the livingroom. the xbox is currently too expensive to replace a roku, but I wonder if they're betting on moving to game streaming in the future to make super cheap consoles viable. alternatively they could just release new versions every 2 years and the games released run on every version going back x releases, just with different prebaked graphics settings., like theres certainly no reason the next xbox couldn't run xbox one games cause they're just newer versions of the same thing, instead of some garbage fire ppc like the 360.

I could see them doing some kind of partnership with Comcast or whatever other big ISP for that. Thin client in the house, ISP has a fat dedicated pipe back to whatever regional datacenter where the stuff runs, QoS prioritization on the last mile delivery. Would be better than their failed, inefficient set top box overlay idea

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
just you wait, you'll be calling me nasstradamus before 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I could see them doing some kind of partnership with Comcast or whatever other big ISP for that. Thin client in the house, ISP has a fat dedicated pipe back to whatever regional datacenter where the stuff runs, QoS prioritization on the last mile delivery. Would be better than their failed, inefficient set top box overlay idea

xbone as replacement for set top box would have been a good idea, but the overlay thing was so loving stupid.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

sony has had streaming for a few years with playstation now, but the latency makes it so a lot of faster paced games just don't respond fast enough. it's ok for rpgs and such but quick, action games it doesn't particularly work well, even with a fast connection.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

orange sky posted:

Hmm my company told us all to get ready for an announcement tomorrow and gave us instructions on what to do when contacted by media, there's a non 0% chance we're getting bought by Microsoft

how's working at canonical, op?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

how's working at canonical, op?

speaking of, i greatly enjoyed curling from microsoft ubuntu today

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

sony has had streaming for a few years with playstation now, but the latency makes it so a lot of faster paced games just don't respond fast enough. it's ok for rpgs and such but quick, action games it doesn't particularly work well, even with a fast connection.

eh, if there's a critical mass of people using it and they do match making that keeps them together then it will probably work. mixing those with native consoles would be a recipe for problems

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

infernal machines posted:

this is just the latest generation of compal whitelable poo poo with the usual terrible hardware choices, bad design, and insufficient batteries, right?

well it has an i7

at 2.2GHz LMFAO. also a GPU that doesn't manage to keep cool anyway

you do get 32GB RAM and a 144Hz screen though. as long as you don't ask too many questions about the component quality

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 10, 2018

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lmao, wanted to edit a word document that linux libreoffice was butchering the formatting for, so wanted to install actual office in a windows vm

clean up-to-date 64-bit windows 7 virtual machine with only 7-zip installed beyond the base OS, logged in to portal.office.com, went to download a installer, picked 64 bit because why not, i have the bits so may as well use them

the 64-bit installer crashed on launch, like "has stopped working, click here to check for solutions online", 32-bit installer working fine so far

do i need the 64-bit version? nah

should the installer crash as a way of helping me decide? lmfao no

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

found your problem

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Private Speech posted:

well it has an i7

at 2.2GHz LMFAO. also a GPU that doesn't manage to keep cool anyway

you do get 32GB RAM and a 144Hz screen though. as long as you don't ask too many questions about the component quality

I sure do love to have to hook one of those squirrel cage blowers they use on entrance doors of ski-lodges to keep my Gamer Laptop sufficiently cooled

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

i sort of presume the streaming is a strategic goal in that they'll use it to defray putting some kind of "mini"-azure-location in every major city, possibly also looking to strongarm isp's into giving them some perks because they can promise x% of the azure traffic wont use network backbones etc. building some kind of differentiation to aws

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

lmao, wanted to edit a word document that linux libreoffice was butchering the formatting for, so wanted to install actual office in a windows vm

clean up-to-date 64-bit windows 7 virtual machine with only 7-zip installed beyond the base OS, logged in to portal.office.com, went to download a installer, picked 64 bit because why not, i have the bits so may as well use them

the 64-bit installer crashed on launch, like "has stopped working, click here to check for solutions online", 32-bit installer working fine so far

do i need the 64-bit version? nah

should the installer crash as a way of helping me decide? lmfao no

no, you don't

you need the 32-bit version, which is the standard one you get if you don't go loving around with download options. the 64-bit version is for people who don't want plugins to work or are using excel as a database.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

found your problem

the second problem was trying to be too clever by half instead of just using the default option

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

no, you don't

you need the 32-bit version, which is the standard one you get if you don't go loving around with download options. the 64-bit version is for people who don't want plugins to work or are using excel as a database.

They're switching to 64 bit being the default soon.

Also, there's no reason to use the 32 bit version if you're not in some kind of crazy enterprise environment with plugins from the 90s.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i sort of presume the streaming is a strategic goal in that they'll use it to defray putting some kind of "mini"-azure-location in every major city, possibly also looking to strongarm isp's into giving them some perks because they can promise x% of the azure traffic wont use network backbones etc. building some kind of differentiation to aws

I hacked together a similar setup with aws and steam streaming in home to use a server in Frankfurt to stream to my home laptop in Copenhagen and to no surprise it was awful

or rather, the gaming part worked ok as long as you’re playing something that can tolerate 100ms input lag

the biggest issue i faced is video compression, as you’re effectively watching a stream of the game you’re playing, meaning any rapid movement on screen translates to low low quality on the receiving end. doing a 180 degree turn in an fps made any detail impossible to make out. also made it impossible to tell what I was playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

They're switching to 64 bit being the default soon.

Also, there's no reason to use the 32 bit version if you're not in some kind of crazy enterprise environment with plugins from the 90s.

it's default for office 2019 iirc. and normally i'd agree with you, but this guy can't even figure out how to get the installer to run