Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They did a study, the pi isn't performance limited by heat. Don't waste your money or time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mewse posted:

Dug out my OG model b to run pihole and god drat the installer is slick :stare:

e: also this dashboard has more information and graphs than I've ever seen from actual dns servers, not hopped up ad blockers

Combined with its effectiveness, it's a thing of joy and beauty

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

doctorfrog posted:

Combined with its effectiveness, it's a thing of joy and beauty

It truly is, I've got a Pi 3 B+ and a Pi Zero running pihole as my primary and secondary DNS servers, and it's so nice to have these teeny tiny little devices just ruthlessly squashing ads on my home network. :allears:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So I can't wait to get started with raspberry pi projects!

I'm looking for projects that are super-fun and/or useful as working utility devices. What are some pi projects goons recommend and use?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Spacedad posted:

I'm looking for projects that are super-fun and/or useful as working utility devices. What are some pi projects goons recommend and use?
Mine's just a headless server for some stuff I can turn on and forget about : PiHole (with PiVPN for my phone outside the home), rtorrent with rutorrent. I liked setting up Postfix to send out emails through a Gmail account so the system can send me a message when a download completes or unattended-upgrades runs or whatever; and once I had everything configured properly backing up the SD card image and shrinking that file down to cut out the empty space on the filesystem. Also log2ram to avoid hammering your fragile SD card.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

...properly backing up the SD card image and shrinking that file down to cut out the empty space on the filesystem. Also log2ram to avoid hammering your fragile SD card.
Hello and thank you for this. Does the stock Raspbian image do a whole heck of a lot of logging? Or is this more for if you're running a web server or have a bunch of logging options on?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 7, 2018

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Spacedad posted:

So I can't wait to get started with raspberry pi projects!

Do you use IRC? ZNC

Do you have an old lovely printer that doesn't have network connectivity? CUPS

Do you torrent your jerkoff material? Transmission

Do you use Usenet for :files: ? NZBget

Do you like to watch videos on YouTube, but have a dogshit internet connection or hate ads? youtube-dl

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you have a gaming PC, but want to play games in the living room/bedroom, the Steam Link beta is available if you have a Pi 3b/3b+ https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/6/1743353164093948391/

I just tried it with my Pi 3 and an Xbox 360 wireless receiver/controller and everything worked without issue.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Inept posted:

If you have a gaming PC, but want to play games in the living room/bedroom, the Steam Link beta is available if you have a Pi 3b/3b+ https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/6/1743353164093948391/

I just tried it with my Pi 3 and an Xbox 360 wireless receiver/controller and everything worked without issue.

I was going to set mine up, too. How's the latency over wifi?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mine's running on Ethernet, but the Steam host is on wifi. I get between 20-25ms so far, but I haven't done anything too heavy on it yet, just some 2d games.

I might try it on wifi, but I'm not expecting much since the antenna on the Pi 3 is poor and you're getting 72mbps in ideal conditions, while Steam Link needs ~30mbps. The 3+ may do better since it supports ac wifi

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stuff like rocket league works remarkably well on wifi

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Stuff like rocket league works remarkably well on wifi

Rocket League has always been the one game I'm amazed works as well as it does even on real Steam Links. Most games requiring real-time input aren't great, but for some reason Rocket League plays just fine even with a bit of lag. I can feel the latency on my WiFi-connected one but it doesn't feel like it gets in the way in the same way as it does in GTA V or similar.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I found out the most recent xbox one controllers do real bluetooth and can be paired with a pi, so I built a new retropie rig with one of them. It's a little tricky to configure but very nice to play, the dpad is so much better than an xbox 360 controller.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main problem I had with the hardware steam link is that steam only handles a single xbox controller over Bluetooth. Pair a second one and the first disappears from the list.

Haven't tried the pi app yet so no info if it's the same, just putting that out there as something to look up before you buy more controllers.

Really weird limitation. :iiam:

mewse
May 2, 2006

xzzy posted:

The main problem I had with the hardware steam link is that steam only handles a single xbox controller over Bluetooth. Pair a second one and the first disappears from the list.

Haven't tried the pi app yet so no info if it's the same, just putting that out there as something to look up before you buy more controllers.

Really weird limitation. :iiam:

I was messing around with my old xbox one controller and pc wireless dongle, then wanted to update firmware on this new controller so I plugged it into my PC with a micro USB cable.

I had a bit of a moment after doing that where I realized the wireless dongle on my pc was talking to both controllers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

mewse posted:

I found out the most recent xbox one controllers do real bluetooth and can be paired with a pi, so I built a new retropie rig with one of them. It's a little tricky to configure but very nice to play, the dpad is so much better than an xbox 360 controller.

Not sure if you like them but Dualshock 4 are drat easy to pair with phones, tablets, raspberry and PC. I own a PS4 but I still like the Xbone controller a bit more on my PC tho.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Had success with a DS4, but can't seem to pair my DS3 to either Win10 or my retropie.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone else tried steam link beta on pi?

I installed it via retropie.

It runs great for me but there's something in the software stack treating my left analog input as insane mouse input which makes games unplayable :(

e: I figured it out, I needed the xpadneo driver. It added rumble support too, it's amazing.

https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo

mewse fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 13, 2018

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What's a good cheap camera that I could attach to my Pi Zero W? Low power options would be great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If it's just for security or watching something the official Pi camera works great. It can be annoying to get it pointed at whatever you're looking at though--you might want a case that's built to hold the camera specifically.

Otherwise I'd look for a cheap USB webcam. Don't get a fancy 4k or high resolution one, the Pi is only getting data from it over a crowded USB 2.0 bus. I've used a PS3 eye toy with good results--it can do 120hz sampling at low resolution (~320x240 pixels IIRC) just fine which is great for fast motion tracking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

If it's just for security or watching something the official Pi camera works great. It can be annoying to get it pointed at whatever you're looking at though--you might want a case that's built to hold the camera specifically.

I can't recommend a lego-compatible camera case + pi case enough. It's trivial to get everything pointed how you want without getting into fabricating your own rig (though that would be a gateway into 3d printing which is loving awesome, so maybe don't go for lego).

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

AliExpress has a few Pi compatible cameras fairly cheap. Just make sure you get the right cable for the zero as there is a slight difference in the width of the connector.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That Kano kit mentioned upthread is $69 on https://meh.com/ today. Add $5 s/h if you're not a member. Not a bad deal considering there's a keyboard/mouse, HDMI cable, power supply, case, sd card and an LED ring hat thing I guess.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That Kano keyboard is legit nice, my wife bought one a while back when they were on sale at a local store

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Instead of playing :siren:video games:siren: during one day of my only two weeks off this year, I spent three hours setting up a pi-hole for myself (and one for a friend). Even with adblockers/proxies on all of my devices, in the form of ublock/dns66/youtube vanced/ghostery/etc, this is a much cleaner setup, and I'm amazed at how much traffic wasn't getting blocked. It even blocks most youtube ads on my PS4!

I feel, finally, that I can rest for a few months, hopefully without having to fiddle with things. Wireless is handled by a Ubiquiti Unifi AP, the wired is an old Netgear router with the wireless disabled and running DD-WRT, and now with the pi-hole it's finally doing everything I want it to do. The Netgear gigabit router has been rock-solid for, like, two years once I disabled the wireless (a lotta heat - bad thermal design - was crashing even with DD-WRT on lower tx settings), and handles being the AP for the Ubiquiti just fine.

Now I need to figure out what to do with this Pi Zero W. I hate the Zero W - bought it early 2017 to try to do a 3D printer - camera setup, but it is too slow and failed at that. Tried doing Pi-Hole on it, and despite everybody saying it's just fine for that (wired or on 2.4G), it was just giving me so many issues that I went out and picked up a few Pi 3 B+'s for $30 each at Fry's. The Zero W goes back into the bin I guess.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For pi-hole, do you get those stupid sites that complain about disabling your adblocker still? Is there a simple way to whitelist (notably for my wife). Is there an extension for Chrome for managing it?

Think I may do the pi-hole thing on my 3B+ that’s sitting around right now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TraderStav posted:

For pi-hole, do you get those stupid sites that complain about disabling your adblocker still? Is there a simple way to whitelist (notably for my wife). Is there an extension for Chrome for managing it?

Yes. There’s a webUI with stats and easy whitelisting at http://pi.hole

Queen Combat posted:

Instead of playing :siren:video games:siren: during one day of my only two weeks off this year, I spent three hours setting up a pi-hole for myself (and one for a friend). Even with adblockers/proxies on all of my devices, in the form of ublock/dns66/youtube vanced/ghostery/etc, this is a much cleaner setup, and I'm amazed at how much traffic wasn't getting blocked. It even blocks most youtube ads on my PS4!

I feel, finally, that I can rest for a few months, hopefully without having to fiddle with things. Wireless is handled by a Ubiquiti Unifi AP, the wired is an old Netgear router with the wireless disabled and running DD-WRT, and now with the pi-hole it's finally doing everything I want it to do. The Netgear gigabit router has been rock-solid for, like, two years once I disabled the wireless (a lotta heat - bad thermal design - was crashing even with DD-WRT on lower tx settings), and handles being the AP for the Ubiquiti just fine.

Now I need to figure out what to do with this Pi Zero W. I hate the Zero W - bought it early 2017 to try to do a 3D printer - camera setup, but it is too slow and failed at that. Tried doing Pi-Hole on it, and despite everybody saying it's just fine for that (wired or on 2.4G), it was just giving me so many issues that I went out and picked up a few Pi 3 B+'s for $30 each at Fry's. The Zero W goes back into the bin I guess.

I assume your zeroW problems were with WiFi because my pihole runs fine on a Pi1B, but that’s at least got ethernet.

The ZeroW works nicely for Volumio if you want an cheap Airplay/Spotify/DLNA music player. Just add a hat or USB audio. May even work over hdmi.

(When you finally kill that Netgear thing, consider keeping it in the ubnt family with a $50 edgerouter-x)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

eddiewalker posted:

(When you finally kill that Netgear thing, consider keeping it in the ubnt family with a $50 edgerouter-x)

Seconding this, I replaced the combo unit from my cable provider with a Unifi AP and an Edgerouter X, and I couldn't be more pleased with how well everything works now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm fairly new to Linux (knew some BSD nearly two decades ago, but that's been left to rust). I have a Canakit 3B+ that I ordered a few weeks ago.

- I installed the full Raspian and was playing around with that for a bit. I then wanted to try RetroPie so followed some install instructions for that (on top of Raspbian, not as an image) and now my Pi boots into the GUI for a second then drops to a command line. How do I return to the GUI?

- The SDCard that Cana ships with seems like a nice set up with NOOBS installed. I was going to back it up (using my Windows PC, but have a Mac available) so I could return it to the original state since I don't have another 32gb lying around. It shows up as four separate drives though, and Win32 Disk Imager is only going to do one at a time. Any ideas on how to back this up? Or is there an image I can find that will replicate without needing to and I can nuke / pave without concern?

- I want to play with pihole, but is the 3B+ still powerful enough to do other tasks? Shouldn't be anything intensive as I'm mostly looking to play with some programming/compiling in a Linux environment. I wouldn't be doing double duty with RetroPie in this case.

Thanks in advance for looking at my dumb newbie questions!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Queen Combat posted:

I've had great results setting up a Zero W as a camera server with motioneye. Using the official camera with a screw-on case and a cell phone tripod, I was able to get it perched on a windowsill with a good viewing angle and just rubber band the Zero W itself to the top of the whole rig. It can capture 1080p at ~1fps all day long and I have it saving directly to a Samba shared HDD on my NAS box instead of wearing out its SD card; I assume at a lower res you could go a lot faster.

I started out using motioneyeos to do this but if you want to do anything more complicated than the options motioneye gives you (like a Samba share) then you may find it easier to start with Raspbian minimal and install motioneye on top. MotioneyeOS is very lightweight since it's based on Embedded Linux but expanding it seemed less straightforward than apt-get, and it's not like Raspbian minimal is much of an additional load even for a Zero.

TraderStav posted:

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm fairly new to Linux (knew some BSD nearly two decades ago, but that's been left to rust). I have a Canakit 3B+ that I ordered a few weeks ago.

- I installed the full Raspian and was playing around with that for a bit.
How do I return to the GUI?

- The SDCard that Cana ships with seems like a nice set up with NOOBS installed. I was going to back it up
Or is there an image I can find that will replicate without needing to and I can nuke / pave without concern?

- I want to play with pihole, but is the 3B+ still powerful enough to do other tasks? Shouldn't be anything intensive as I'm mostly looking to play with some programming/compiling in a Linux environment. I wouldn't be doing double duty with RetroPie in this case.

- I think you want 'startx' for the regular Raspbian GUI and 'emulationstation' for the RetroPie GUI.
- You can download NOOBS and write it fresh with Etcher.
- The Pi 3B is powerful enough to work as a light desktop - web browser, text editor, small compilations, that sort of thing is no problem. It's going to be noticeably slower than any recent x86 PC if you start getting into anything serious, and the 1GB of memory will hold you back from doing a lot at once with the web browser.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 30, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

- I think you want 'startx' for the regular Raspbian GUI and 'emulationstation' for the RetroPie GUI.
- You can download NOOBS and write it fresh with Etcher.
- The Pi 3B is powerful enough to work as a light desktop - web browser, text editor, small compilations, that sort of thing is no problem. It's going to be noticeably slower than any recent x86 PC if you start getting into anything serious, and the 1GB of memory will hold you back from doing a lot at once with the web browser.

Thanks! I'll stop being married to the original card and reimage it to my needs.

For the last question, I was asking more about it serving as a pihole server AND doing some other things. I understand it won't be a desktop replacement (and don't need it to be) but it'd be nice to play around with to learn linux and experiment, as well as also to serve as a programming/development hub.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Pihole shouldn't really cause a substantial load on the system unless you have a lot of DNS clients, as far as the quadcore models go at least.

e: For anything where you're concerned about performance though, a Linux VM on the Windows/Mac machines will run rings around any model of Pi. You could also look into WSL if you have Windows 10.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 30, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would suggest downloading something like MobaXTerm (on windows) which will let you ssh into your pi from a desktop or a laptop and you can do Linux things from there without having to switch to the Pi whenever you want to use it.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

TraderStav posted:

- The SDCard that Cana ships with seems like a nice set up with NOOBS installed. I was going to back it up (using my Windows PC, but have a Mac available) so I could return it to the original state since I don't have another 32gb lying around. It shows up as four separate drives though, and Win32 Disk Imager is only going to do one at a time. Any ideas on how to back this up? Or is there an image I can find that will replicate without needing to and I can nuke / pave without concern?

Win32DiskImager will Image the entire drive if you select a partition of it. Might have to be the first one? It worked for me imaging my retropie a few days ago.

On a 3B+ I don’t think PiHole will tax it too much. Fair warning compiling might be pretty slow due to the USB2 bus and overall slower speed of SD Cards.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TraderStav posted:

Whitelisting can be challenging because it’s not as simple as whitelisting “cnn.com” because the ads on “cnn.com” aren’t actually being served from “cnn.com” but “ads-123.scumtasticcdn.com” and the only way you’d know that would be to go into the developer tools to see what was failing to load. So if your wife is experienced with that sort of thing, yes very easy.

The web ui does log every query and tell you what’s blocked so by looking through the log you can find what needs to be whitelisted. It’s not a simple thing though and you kind of have to understand how pi-hole works and the basics of DNS to be able to do it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 30, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
For whitelisting, I'll open a tab with pi.hole, and a tab with the broken page. Then, I'll reload the busted page, refresh pi.hole, and see what it's blocking. Usually it's one element with multiple requests in a row, so it's easy to spot and fix.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
This is probably a dumb question but running both pihole and ublock origin simultaneously doesn't break anything, correct? I'm thinking about throwing one together tonight but I'm wondering how it works with devices that get used on other networks (e.g. my laptop). I don't really want to have to remember to turn off ublock when I'm at home and turn it back on at work, for example.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

This is probably a dumb question but running both pihole and ublock origin simultaneously doesn't break anything, correct? I'm thinking about throwing one together tonight but I'm wondering how it works with devices that get used on other networks (e.g. my laptop). I don't really want to have to remember to turn off ublock when I'm at home and turn it back on at work, for example.
Nah, no harm -- I switched to Chrome w/o an adblock extension as my primary browser once I got my PiHole running but keep uBlock on Firefox for YouTube, etc.

Some of y'all say PiHole catches YouTube ads? Mine doesn't seem to.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Mine catches the picture but not the X button, so I still have ublock installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mine seems to catch them, but ublock and whatever the mobile Firefox has on it is probably doing some of the lifting.

Then I used ublock to eat the YouTube sidebar and comments so now it’s just the video and description.