Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Team Hunger question: is there a way to devour someone's soul in a dreamscape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
The dream gun is loaded with gel rounds, right? Shoot her in the stomach, then hear her out.

BLAM "Yeah, what?"

Or, more sensibly, hear her out then shoot her. "Alright, that was everything then?" BLAM.

Either way, after the poo poo she pulled subverting Edward and endangering Sasha (both from his perspective) and forcing him into that standoff with Fuzzy, there's exactly zero chance in hell of this ending without him shooting her at least once. I'm just voting to also hear her out of possible.

jagadaishio fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 9, 2018

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Listen suspensionly. Safety off. Try to pry info about what else she can do in our dream, besides talking. Don't shoot yet - because starting a fight when at disadvantageous position is not smart.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Draw dreamgun on her then tell her to talk.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Wait - can we try to dream a little bigger? Even if not dream-duel, at least be in a nicer place than ACHE?

Also - did nothing of note happened in the rest of the day? Canceled our plans?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
apply bullets to forehead.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
listen, then shoot

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
A wrinkle in the whole "shoot her" plan is she's already intercepted Kenji's efforts to naturally grab the gun.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Dr Subterfuge posted:

A wrinkle in the whole "shoot her" plan is she's already intercepted Kenji's efforts to naturally grab the gun.

You forget this is Kenji and this is his dream. He's got a holdout pistol. Also just turn the gun and briedly depress the trigger. Or flip your hand, grab a finger, twist until tears happen, then grab the gun and put one in her forehead.

There is no reason why he shouldn't react immediately with violence. None at all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Listen. He's not Edward, she can't control him.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Listen. Then shoot, maybe.
Fact remains that Kenji's whole existence is still at Edward's mercy. If there's even a possibility that Kenji can make himself un-deleteable, or even better take complete control, it's worth pursuing.

Then if we don't like what Marie is saying we can shoot her.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gun Jam posted:

Wait - can we try to dream a little bigger? Even if not dream-duel, at least be in a nicer place than ACHE?

Also - did nothing of note happened in the rest of the day? Canceled our plans?

The answer is yes!

When I was younger, I experimented with lucid dreaming. It took me about a month to get my first one. You look for what is called a "dream sign", or at least that what it was called wjem I read in the book. People who shouldn't be there, fantastic things that don't make sense, a strange moon in the sky that is too big, clocks that don't possess numbers, cards too. Anything with numbers, really. Our brains have a hard time making numbers and letters in dreams. So we can see a clock or a book, but the numbers and words will not make sense. It was like constantly sanity checking yourself to the point where you'd do it in dreams too. Then you become aware in the dream. Often times this means you wake up, but what I did was spin in a circle in the dream and that tended to do the trick. Don't know why. Just did.

So if you want to go elsewhere, you find a door and go through it. Sane architecture doesn't work so well in dreams. If you go through a door you can end up in the next room, but you're more likely to end up somewhere random. However, Marie is experienced with dreams and Kenji isn't. Sasha would have a chance in dealing with her (she's got the spell and know how dream logic works), but Kenji on his own would have problems.

If Kenji was experienced like Sasha, he could just make things appear in the dream. However, he can't, so he would have to look for something where it would make sense. He could even fly with practice. I never managed that trick. I could do the Yoshi thing where I could pump my legs and hover, though I could do it indefinitely.

So as far as dreams go, I know what I'm talking about. If you ever want to do lucid dreaming I suggest Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge. If you're diligent you should be able to start within a month or two. It can be fun to explore. Explore the inside of your own mind, have sex with people (this got old fast), learn to fly (never got old, even Yoshi hovering) and gain some sort of control over your dreams. It's pretty neat. Small disclaimer is that if you have frequent nightmares I don't know what to do about that. Also it can take time to stop lucid dreaming. You need to break the habit of looking for dream sign.

super sweet best pal posted:

Team Hunger question: is there a way to devour someone's soul in a dreamscape?

Probably not through normal means. Also doing that on purpose does drive the eaters insane. Marie is many things, but she's not toxic or a blood mage.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 9, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You ever try meditating in a dream? I've always been curious about the part of Lucid dreaming where you can more easily communicate with other facets of your consciousness/subconscious

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You ever try meditating in a dream? I've always been curious about the part of Lucid dreaming where you can more easily communicate with other facets of your consciousness/subconscious

I haven't. I was more interested in exploring and talking to people in the dream. Also Yoshi hovering.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hear her out and THEN chase her off

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You lucky fuckers actually getting to see and interact with dreams. I just have faint memories of weird poo poo and never get to see or do anything in mine.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You lucky fuckers actually getting to see and interact with dreams. I just have faint memories of weird poo poo and never get to see or do anything in mine.

Same, or it's like, I have a vaguely remembered dream which is exactly like a shittier version of reality and nothing interesting happens except everyone I know is in the same place including a bunch of dead people

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Take a few milligrams of melatonin. It not only helps you get to sleep, but increases the chances of you remembering your dreams. It's over the counter and not too expensive.

I take mine with a dropper and it tastes faintly like over-sweet coconut, but you can also get it in pill form. Absolutely don't take over the recommended dose though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I lucid dream when Im really sick, and I have the same dream every time.

But in this particular dream Kenji is going to shoot the bitch in her stupid face because everything that comes out of her assmouth is a filthy twist of reality.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm down with hear her out and then shoot her. Or having Kenji make a composure roll to not shoot her.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Magdump.

We are not at home with listening to anything this bitch has to say.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

All right, time to count up what to do.

Leave immediately: Toughy

The violence option: Deadmeat5150, super sweet best pal, Boogle, Zodiac5000, Rickvoid

The listen and listen option: GreyjoyBastard, jagadaishio, Xarbala, Podima, Groetgaffel, Crazycryodude, pumpinglemma

Listen: Thatbasqueguy, Dr Subterfuge, Gun Jam, Volmarias

Blame her for problems: Hexenritter. Blaming her is definitely going to happen. Everything was fine until she started causing problems. (It wasn't fine.)

Looks like listen to her and attack wins. Kenji is going to be furious, but if she says she has vital, life or death information he'll listen just long enough to get it all before he attempts to attack her.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Ice Phisherman posted:

Blame her for problems: Hexenritter. Blaming her is definitely going to happen. Everything was fine until she started causing problems. (It wasn't fine.)

Well, if you go far enough back, it was fine before she closely guarded her super special secret agent technique.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I lucid dream when Im really sick, and I have the same dream every time.

Sick dreams are the worst. I invariably find myself trying to solve some made-up problem, but it's impossible because the actual problem is I'm loving sick.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 9, 2018

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
At least hear her out. We lose nothing and gain knowledge

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
poo poo. Shoot her in the loving mouth. This is not ok. If she wants to contact us, do it like a loving adult, not some creepy sleep demon.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

poo poo. Shoot her in the loving mouth. This is not ok. If she wants to contact us, do it like a loving adult, not some creepy sleep demon.

we should also say that about creepy sleep demons and being an adult

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

And then when she contacts us in real life, we magdump her with a real gun. Sounds good.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RickVoid posted:

And then when she contacts us in real life, we magdump her with a real gun. Sounds good.

I like the way you think

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Glad I'm not the only one who wants her to go away

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

jagadaishio posted:

Eh, kind of. Transgressing taboos can lead you down the path of being Toxic, but aside from getting access to a few new Toxic spirits/spells that doesn't actually increase your power level. Toxics are dangerous because they're deranged and willing to do horrible things, not because they're fundamentally more powerful than 'normal' mages.

Ice Phisherman posted:

As I mentioned before, I did my research on traditional shamanic practices. The breaking of taboo is often seen as a fast track towards real power. It has an allure, but it comes with serious consequences. Julie falls into a grey area where she was forced to break taboo.

Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

So, Force Lightning then? Julie can cast Force Lightning?

Ice Phisherman posted:

"See threaten you. Do not like. Seen cheat you. Do not like. Will not fight battle for you. Learn on own. Learn lesson," she said, "Fill gel round. No kill. Father beat worse, not often, but do in past. Get money back. If no give, shoot in stomach and throw over ledge into garbage. Almost garbage day. Small drop. No kill. Then Vang learn lesson."

Wow. So Min is how Kenny survived the ACHE. Not Clever, not Moms, not the Leblanc Method.

Minnie is why he made it. And she’s doing it again with her Magical Liquor store, starting her after-school program for the Blake kids.

Wonder if Kenny will ever know the depths she went to in helping him survive, because she’ll never tell him the full story.

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time

What do we do? How is Kenji feeling about meeting with Marie once again?

Gun Jam posted:

Ice Phisherman posted:

All right, time to count up what to do.

Awww, man, missed another vote.

For what it’s worth, I’m advocating for the stay awhile, and listen choice, with the addition of twisting the dreamscape to our advantage.

We’re showing Marie what it’s like to be an ACHE Delver.

Put her in the basement, as deep as we’ve ever gone, make her feel trapped and hunted, with no way out, and have her team turn on her.

Let’s see her try and pull this mind-tap thing again.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Go full Dog and act on instinct

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

CourValant posted:

For what it’s worth, I’m advocating for the stay awhile, and listen choice, with the addition of twisting the dreamscape to our advantage.

We’re showing Marie what it’s like to be an ACHE Delver.

Put her in the basement, as deep as we’ve ever gone, make her feel trapped and hunted, with no way out, and have her team turn on her.

Let’s see her try and pull this mind-tap thing again.

Trying to transport her to the Basement sounds like a lot of fun. Also sounds like it could backfire spectacularly, even if it actually works on her. I sense narrative potential.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji and Marie – In Dreams

Kenji glared at Marie as he felt a spike of fear. Her sudden appearance and her knowledge that he’d been dreaming soon coaxed him out of his uncontrolled, dreaming state. His finger tried to find the trigger of the submachinegun, but it was pointed away from him. In seconds, he decided his plan of action. He would listen to what she had to say, lull her into a false sense of security and then shoot her. He had no idea if it would work, but it was his dream.

“This is really creepy you know,” he said, acidly, “You pop in unannounced into my head and offer me gifts. What, do you have a puppy that I can see if I just get into your panel van? Or is it free candy?”

Neither of the two in the dream looked their real age. Kenji looked just over ten and Marie looked like she was in her late teens. She tried to recoil, but kept her hand over his hand and the gun. This made her jerk back and forth involuntarily and Kenji smiled in triumph.

“You’re very vicious you know,” said Marie, reproachfully.

“I’m a product of my environment,” he responded, “And only around people I don’t trust. What do you want?”

He remembered riding along with Fuzzy in the ambulance. In his opinion she didn’t need it and he was dubious about the emergency counseling, but Julian was probably feeling overprotective. He vaguely remembered getting into a waiting room and that’s probably where he’d nodded off. The crisis was over and only now was he beginning grasp just how emotionally frayed he was. He realized he was falling back on his old, well-worn grooves in his personality- Anger, violence and manipulation. He didn’t pull away from them. This was Marie LeBlanc and he would need that older part of himself to deal with her.

“If I pull my hand away, can I go?” he asked.

“Are you asking me if you’re free to go?” she responded, with a slight smirk, “You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve heard that.”

He remembered the dream he’d been having and looked down at himself. He was young again and Marie had responded to his words. So he decided to drop any pretense of being a child, but he’d use the look to his advantage.

“There’s a mini fridge in the corner,” he said, “If I’m going to deal with you I want a beer.”

She frowned at him but nodded after a few seconds. Slowly, they both took their hands away from the weapon. He’d give her that weapon. It didn’t matter. Clever’s place was full of weapons. He stalked past comfortable looking couches and into the mini-kitchen. Clever must have been expecting a party when he’d remembered this because the mini fridge was fully stocked. With a smirk, he grabbed two beers. She’d wanted a peace offering, so he came back with two green bottles with a red and white label, heavy with condensation. He couldn’t read what they were called. It was one of the strange effects of dreams, but Kenji had always known it as Clever’s beer.

He watched her as Kenji approached with two beers and her feelings warred between reproach and relief. He sat back down at the table and instead of sharing with, kept both and so he dashed any hopes she’d had that this would be a friendly talk. It was petty, but he was in a dark mood.

“Really?” she asked.

“This is my dream and this place is something of a second home for me,” said Kenji, “More than my real home in the ACHE. Gifts aren’t a peace offering when you come to my home. They’re my due. And as I recall, the last time you showed up, Christmas if I remember, you made me work to get Octo’s information so I could help her. You want hospitality? Go get your own beer.”

The bottle hissed as he twisted off the cap and he took a drink. It tasted exactly like he remembered, bitter and hoppy. It had always had a certain allure to it as it was Clever’s beer, but he had to admit now that it tasted like crap and this further fueled his bad mood. He liked that, so he drank deep.

“I apologize for my rudeness from before,” she began, “But my work was necessary.”

“You know I nearly killed myself resisting those orders that Edward put in my head?” asked Kenji, “The first time hitting my head on a rock and the second time rejecting Edward’s orders. He made me fight my friend while you did whatever to Sasha. I still don’t know. I’m sure it was all necessary. What, with manipulating my other personality that enslaved me. It was all according to plan.”

“No, it wasn’t according to plan,” she said, quietly, and she looked down.

“Of course it wasn’t!” he shouted, “What did you do to Sasha?”

“I asked her questions and she told me the truth,” whispered Marie, “She was very brave. A year earlier she wouldn’t have told me what I needed to know, but you and your friends have been a good influence on her. She made the right decision. I never laid a hand on her.”

Kenji stared at Marie and sneered. Self-loathing and anger burned inside of him and he fueled it with Clever’s beer. He wasn’t getting intoxicated by the dream beer, but the ritual helped him.

“I’m not a good influence on anyone,” he spat, “And I know weasel words when I hear them. My mouth used to be full of them. Maybe you never laid a hand on her, but you did gently caress her over.”

“Yes,” she admitted.

“Great,” said Kenji, “Fantastic. It’s about her dad doing the drug kingpin thing for the police, right?”

“He was one of many. Ares is still trying to pin it all on him and I’m trying to make sure it doesn’t stick,” she said, miserably, “I offered her a way out.”

“How generous of you to ruin my friend’s life and offer her a way out,” he mocked, “How noble you are. Tell me, did this offer come with strings?”

“Employment,” she responded, “Some apply for jobs, but some are scouted and at younger ages than you might think. She’s talented and to do what she did in the name of justice was…Well there are some jobs that are less about qualifications and more about self-selection. I don’t feel good about what I do with my life, but that doesn’t make it any less necessary.”

“Like manipulating someone into betraying their family,” said Kenji.

“It was important,” she said.

“Sure, I guess,” he said, “I just want you to know that you ruined her life. If she’d gone into the city instead of going directly to school, she would’ve gotten jumped by something like thirty gang members. They were waiting for Sasha and another friend of mine. There was a lot of luck involved with help from someone I'd never met before. Thankfully they took a safer route. I just want you to be aware that my friends are getting targeted for your justice. I think you should know what you did.”

“It was necessary,” she said.

“Yeah, so was that,” he said.

Kenji pointed to the gun and took a sip of his beer. She looked away. The silence stretched, he finished his beer and opened up a second one as he silently raged at her for setting all of this up and himself for failing. He was no friend to Ares, but Sasha had been hurt and it had happened because Edward had forced him to fight Fuzzy.

“About those gifts,” she began.

“gently caress you,” he snarled.

“About life and death. About your friends,” she said, with her voice raised.

Kenji made a face. He wanted to spit out the foul taste in his mouth. The beer had taken residence in the back of his mouth and the aftertaste was somehow worse than the initial taste. He remembered it clearly. It had all been so cool when he was a kid.

“Fine, spill,” said Kenji, “But don’t pretend this isn’t about wanting something from me. You wouldn’t have shown up otherwise.

Marie slowly nodded and took a shaky breath.

“First, I’ve been keeping tabs on you,” she said, “You might hate me for this, but there was a reason. You’ve been marked as a person of interest by Tir Tairngire intelligence.”

“I’m aware,” said Kenji.

“I’m aware that you’re aware,” she said, “It seems from the notes that you’ve caught the eye of some young noble and you’re currently being vetted for a possible betrothal to another. However, the person in question, Paladin in training Demoiselle Private Sanvi Patel…”

“Just Saanvi,” said Kenji, “She doesn't like titles.”

Marie’s mouth twisted into a frown, but she nodded.

“Very well, just Saanvi. Your special friend works for Tir intelligence. She’s not an intelligence agent, or at least not beyond paper. In fact everything about the file I’ve read speaks of a polite kidnapping. What bothers me is that she’s been sloppy in covering her tracks. This leads back to you which is bad,” she said, calmly, “Kenji, you’re playing at a level so beyond what you’re normally used to that you don’t understand how badly you and Saanvi hosed up. She left a trail of badly disguised breadcrumbs back to herself and to you.”

Ice flooded Kenji’s stomach as he thought of Saanvi being in danger. He didn’t imagine that her covering up their talks where she’d then perpetrated crime that he’d suggested would go over well. Or maybe it would. After all, she’d targeted a human supremacist stronghold and Tir as he understood it was run by elves.

“Tir Tairngire’s intelligence agency has a scary reputation,” Marie continued, “People disappear in the night and they whisper that Ghosts took them, because that’s what their death squads are called, the Ghosts. I doubt that they would be called up, but there is a reason that people don't cross Tir's intelligence community, or at least most people with sense do. For all of her grit and determination, Saanvi strikes me as someone without much life experience so it probably didn't occur to her the danger she was putting herself in. Intelligence agencies love the reputation that they're everywhere and know everything. They do everything they can to cultivate this myth and those who challenge these myths are often dealt with harshly. The truth is that they’re just smart, talented people with flexible morals, but there aren’t actually very many of them. Tir is paranoid and that makes their spies and assassins a top priority. However, that also makes their diplomatic arm a top priority as well. Diplomats and spies are just different sides of the same coin.”

She briefly closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. If Kenji hadn’t been so angry and now stunned, he would have realized that the gun was gone.

“The fact that their matrix security hasn’t had an update in six months or an overhaul in three years speaks to just how bad everything is in Tir right now,” she explained. “They can’t afford to maintain one of their most essential services. The local diplomatic office is on a skeleton crew at the moment as talented people are being recalled to Tir or flee to the private sector. It made breaking into their systems from a nearly impossible task to merely difficult. Everyone is being recalled to the military because their leaders are terrified about an invasion from Calfree and everything I read from their internal dispatches screams that they’re not prepared. This scary nation which would have blacked bagged you in the night and imprisoned Saanvi too has overlooked you because it has problems with budget any manpower. You both got lucky. I took time out of my busy day to cover Saanvi’s tracks because the automated systems found out and flagged her activity as suspicious, but not high priority. They have two deckers on matrix over watch on rotating twelve hour shifts when they should have half a dozen at the very least. They’re just too busy to get everything done, much less notice.”

“Oh,” said Kenji.

“Yeah, oh,” said Marie, testily, “Which brings me to my second gift. This Lord Paladin Sean Gilbrand. drat these stupid names, you have to learn them. Anyway, the man is a monster. After Tir Tairngire’s revolution from a fascist monarchy into a sham of a democracy with noble titles, a lot of people were able to slip through the cracks in the revolutionary chaos. His real name is Patrick Cooper and he is a real piece of work. The problem with a monarchy is that you get poor nobles who feel like they’re owed something and when you add fascism into that, you end up with a lot of angry, violent young men. A fascist state always has a place for angry, poor young men who feel like they’re owed something. They release their cruelty into the world. Patrick Cooper was given a gun, a sword, a horse, a suit of armor, a squad of similar psychopaths, state approval and a vulnerable population.”

She checked her pockets for what Kenji assumed were her notes, but she grumbled.

“I’d give you my notes, but we’re in dreams. Patrick Cooper has a triple digit civilian body count, and that’s just what’s recorded. He’s was particularly fond of sticking humans in houses, setting them on fire and then shooting them as they fled. His nickname at the time was Lieutenant Pyre. He also had a distinct taste for unwilling women as if the murder and arson wasn't enough, all of them human so far as I can tell,” she said with a sneer, “The reason I know all of this is because it was all brought up at his court martial. That’s a military trial if you didn't know. However, none of his squad went down for what they did. You want to know why he got the book thrown at him?”

“I…” began Kenji, “I don’t…”

Kenji was only now realizing just out of his depth he truly was. He wanted to disbelieve her, but he kept remembering Saanvi’s description of him, how creeped out she’d been by him, how he’d looked at Julie for the brief few moments she’d spoken to him at the docks. He wanted to be sick.

“He had sex with his commanding officer’s wife,” she said, flatly, “It wasn’t the mass murder or the arson or the rape, it was that he disrespected his commanding officer. He had an entire city to use as his sick playground and that wasn’t enough for him. He wanted more. Why I bring this up at all is that he worked in what I’ll generously call counter-insurgency. So he’s a smart monster too with a number of unsavory skills. He’s the one who is vetting you since the consulate is understaffed. You haven’t been careful and I can’t allow him to find out about you or God forbid, Edward. He seemed particularly angry about some robot last time I checked which is currently being mailed to your school and was working himself into a rage in his room and looking over your files for something to use. So as something of a spy myself, because when you worked at Lone Star at my level, the line between undercover cop and spy is thin, I’m going to burn his rear end. He thought had had a new life. He doesn’t anymore. I've quietly released who he is to a few parties. If he's not rotated out in the next twelve hours, his file goes public. Hopefully he dies in the upcoming war.”

Tears streaked down Kenji’s face. He thought he’d been so smart. He thought that the game he was playing had minor consequences, but the person in charge of Saanvi was a monster.

“There’s a particular documentary,” she mused, “It’s called Massacre at Redding. Tir took over Redding, Calfree in the 2050’s after Calfree lost a war. There was footage of him that was captured during some game…Umm…Hurling, right. It’s the one that’s like field hockey with wooden axes. At this game, the nobles from his squad shrank the heads of the insurgents, covered them in a polymer and used them as game balls after a particularly nasty uprising. The heads would burst apart every few minutes, but that didn’t matter to them. They had a lot of heads. It was a big deal at the time because Tir has an almost total information blackout but it got recorded anyway. They even got a picture of the two teams in a pose afterwards. The families of the dead were forced to watch the game from the stands to discourage further uprisings. This hit the international news and sanctions lasted for a few years after that, which made them crack down even further on information in and out of Tir. The reason I found him at all was because he earned that scar on his face at that match and the documentary talks about each person in that lineup. He never got rid of that scar. I suppose in some twisted way that he’s emotionally attached to it. Kenji, the revolution was only about a decade ago and elves live for a long time. The monsters at the top that encouraged this were deposed, but the rank and file mostly got away when the records were destroyed. Almost all of the humans in Redding fled before the war, were allowed to leave after the war so long as they left everything so Calfree could be flooded with the poor or they were exterminated. Humans used to make up sixty percent of the population. Now it’s less than three percent."

She tipped back her chair and balanced on two legs.

"Gilbrand or Cooper if you will, is not allowed to review your case. He's too competent, too dangerous and because of your involvement with Ms. Patel, too close to you," she explained, "He is a dangerous player, so I am removing him. With him gone, your file will most likely fall into the cracks. Bureaucracies need money and attention to function, and I'm removing the last of that attention as they're currently having a severe shortage of competent people. Either someone incompetent reviews your file and doesn't know what they're looking at, or someone competent but exhausted glances over your file and doesn't take you seriously. I've read the notes on you. Right now you're a potential marriage candidate for a noble family and nothing more. On paper you're boring and I want it to stay that way. Normally I wouldn't go to these lengths and expose myself like this, but I have a feeling that you're not going to run away from this girl. At least not if what you said about Dog's approval of her is to be believed. I suppose her oath of loyalty was considered undone by Dog once the military arranged her kidnapping on behalf of her parents."

He almost asked how she knew that, but then he realized that he'd been forced to tell Joyce last week. Kenji tried to look away. He wasn’t angry anymore, but emotionally exhausted. He wanted to sleep, but then he realized that he was already asleep and so he wished for unconsciousness. He now understood why Olisha hated Joyce and Krupa so much. Then he grew confused. Joyce and Krupa seemed like genuinely decent people.

“Wait,” said Kenji, “My um…Acquaintances I guess. Joyce Sartel and Krupa Patel. Do they know any of this?”

“Who?” asked Marie.

“They’re um…They’re classmates of mine,” he said, “They seem like nice people. I don’t understand.”

She took a few seconds to think and the shook her head in disbelief.

“Yeah, okay, I remember now,” she said, disparagingly, “Sorry, they didn't seem too important. They’re what we call useful idiots or mushrooms. You keep them in the dark and feed them bullshit. At your age, someone from Tir has been raised on a steady diet of state propaganda. It’s the “We’re good and everyone else is bad” nonsense that pretends to be the news. They probably don’t know anything. They’re at your school to make connections and to sell Tir propaganda to the corporate elite of the future. Half of your classmates are wealthy, well connected elves who are deeply embedded into some of the most powerful corporations in the world. If they can get even one young person buying their crap then that’s a victory, much less score some sort of contract for a nation that’s currently desperate for money. They go to your school and peddle Tir propaganda because they’re innocent enough to believe it, because magic can’t detect lies if they believe what they’re saying. I’m sure that good people live in Tir Tairngire. They were just never told about its many atrocities for Redding was not the first nor the last. Tir's evil never makes the news and that's the point. It’s hard to feel righteous when you’re committing genocide. And Kenji, make no mistake, you’ve been scouted because that is what Mr. Sartel and Mr. Patel are there to do. Not their main goal, but still worthy. Loyalty is highly sought after by these people. The Patels are trying to marry you into their family through their black sheep, God help you.”

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 11, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Two out of three of Marie's revelations revealed. I'm going to hit the bar and then try finishing tonight.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Still want to shoot her in the face.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

“There’s a particular documentary,” she mused, “It’s called Massacre at Redding. Tir took over Redding, Calfree in the 2050’s after Calfree lost a war. There was footage of him that was captured during some game…Umm…Hurling, right. It’s the one that’s like field hockey with wooden axes. At this game, the nobles from his squad shrank the heads of the insurgents, covered them in a polymer and used them as game balls. They would burst apart every few minutes, but that didn’t matter to them. They had a lot of heads.

So, Rape of Nanking, if the soldiers then took the heads from their beheading contests and played ball with them. Wonderful.

Ice Phisherman posted:

And Kenji, make no mistake, you’ve been scouted. Loyalty is highly sought after by these people. The Patels are trying to marry you into their family through their black sheep, God help you.”

So, I'm probably in the minority here; I still don't see an issue with Kenny throwing in with the Tir.

In this world, you're either talented enough to climb the ladders with a Corp / Government, get grounded down as a 'salaryman', or, run the shadows.

Julie found a way out through T-Ville, Fuzzy and Sasha will be taking 'trouble-shooting' jobs from their Blake Island network, and Kenny was always destined for the 'cloak and dagger' world.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Two out of three of Marie's revelations revealed. I'm going to hit the bar and then try finishing tonight.

:wave: Have a good time!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Still want to shoot her in the face.

And I still want to 'basement' her, although it looks likely that Kenny is once again too 'shell-shocked' to do much of anything right now.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
And this poo poo is why people choose the Shadows over being complicit with the corps, or the Tirs, or whatever. This should also be a big reminder that Saanvi is in genuine danger. Her handler getting burned might be a bit enough upset for her to go AWOL during the scandal. Small blessings.

As usual, though, LeBlanc is saving someone's rear end and creating a mess for that someone to clean up in the same breath.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So far, so good. No twists yet.

Yet.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Tease.
Also, if you still can think about writing, clearly you didn't hit the bar hard enough. No reason to aim low.

CourValant posted:

So, I'm probably in the minority here; I still don't see an issue with Kenny throwing in with the Tir.

"They are losing", not a sufficient issue?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

CourValant posted:

Ice Phisherman posted:

Tir is still crawling with fascists and the local guy in charge is literally Joachim Peiper

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad Kenji was finally informed of the right and wrong of the situation he's found himself in.