Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Morrison government is expect­ed to formally recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s legitimate capital following a cabinet meeting today, but may delay the ­relocation of Australia’s embassy from Tel Aviv.

Senior government sources have confirmed a final decision was made by cabinet’s national securi­ty committee last night.

It is believed the option favoured by several cabinet ministers was a formal recognition of Jerusalem and a commitment to move the embassy at a later stage.
this has flicked my magic switch. i am now a true blue scomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

GotLag posted:

I went to primary school in the first half of the '90s, and what I learned at school was:
1. Aborigines were here for like, 40-50k years and have some oral historical tradition called Dreamtime
2. White people arrived in 1788
3. ???
4. There are now many white people and few aborigines

I sat the citizenship test a couple of weeks ago and the history section of the material you read for prep was basically as basic as this.
I passed btw and got my official approval from David Coleman in the post.

As there's a chance I may get to vote in the next election does anyone have a link to a good explanation of how your voting works? It's a wee bit different from what I'm used to and I've never voted for 2 houses before so voting for Senators will be a bit new.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

norp posted:

This seems like such a narrow issue with so much potential downside.

The only thing I can think of is that this pretty much just "gently caress the Muslims" dogwhistling?
Liberals want us to be America's vassal.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Helith posted:

I sat the citizenship test a couple of weeks ago and the history section of the material you read for prep was basically as basic as this.

As there's a chance I may get to vote in the next election does anyone have a link to a good explanation of how your voting works? It's a wee bit different from what I'm used to and I've never voted for 2 houses before so voting for Senators will be a bit new.

Here is a primer done by fellow goon Chicken Parmiagana. It's basically perfect, I just have two notes.

1) Senate voting works basically the same way from a voting perspective. It's a bit more complicated from the other end and crazy people who research every candidate can vote 'below the line' which is a fun way of voting where you number over a hundred boxes instead of like 10, but don't do that.

2) As per this year the 'Nice' party in the comic needs to be renamed to the Sometimes Rapists party.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Tony Burke retire bitch

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gentleman Baller posted:

Here is a primer done by fellow goon Chicken Parmiagana. It's basically perfect, I just have two notes.

1) Senate voting works basically the same way from a voting perspective. It's a bit more complicated from the other end and crazy people who research every candidate can vote 'below the line' which is a fun way of voting where you number over a hundred boxes instead of like 10, but don't do that.

2) As per this year the 'Nice' party in the comic needs to be renamed to the Sometimes Rapists party.

Perfect! Thanks.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
You should vote below the line if you can, you don't need to number every box. I think it's twelve

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Helith posted:

The AEC has some official resources: https://aec.gov.au/Voting/How_to_Vote/

In practice there will be volunteers from all major and many minor parties outside each polling place that will hand you a card that says "Number like this to vote for us". You are free (and encouraged) to ignore the cards and number from 1 (best) on down in whatever order you like

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
For the Senate you will be instructed to number 6 boxes above the line or 12 below. You can number more if you wish.

When you vote above the line (AtL) you are voting for all of that party's candidates in the order displayed. So if you vote 1 Green 2 Labor 3 Liberal you will vote for all the Greens then all the Labor candidates then all the Liberal candidates.

In the 2016 election there was a savings provision that meant you only had to vote 1 AtL or 6 BtL. I am not sure if that will be true in 2019.

Note that states elections are done with different rules. The close proximity of the NSW election to the Federal Election is going to push up the informal vote.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
oi m8 sum chav nicked the mace

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gentleman Baller posted:

I remember a few years ago for the Vic election there was a website where you could fill in your Senate ballot ahead of time and save it on your phone as a PDF. Then you can just write the numbers in to make sure Family First gets as little of your vote as possible, without having to stand at the polling booth for 20 minutes trying to remember the difference between the Democratic Liberal Party and the Liberal Democratic Party. It has links to the parties' websites and the preference deals they had made.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If I become a citizen before May I'm going to have to do so much reading up on NSW senators and Senate parties because I don't really know anything about them at the moment.
I know where my lower house votes will go though, that's easy and familiar and I know what the parties there stand for.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

The AEC really should make it easier to see your local candidates policies on their website. And if your candidate doesn't have any policies well then that's telling too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

snoremac posted:

Liberals want us to continue to be America's vassal.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LOL the US have a "Yay for coal!" party at an environmental conference and Australia was the only other country that joined in.

Also gently caress the idea of moving the Australian embassy in Israel, is Scummo that tone deaf about how it is going to piss off nations near us like Indonesia and Malaysia?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Most Australians have no idea that Muslims live in nearby Asian countries.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or the largest Muslim country in the world is also the one which contains Bali.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Gotta please Hillsong somehow.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Most australians think that Bali and indonesia are separate things.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Most Australians have no idea that Muslims live in nearby Asian countries.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well they are going to get a quick lesson when the extremists in those countries start targeting Australian tourists.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Well they are going to get a quick lesson when the extremists in those countries start targeting Australian tourists.

They blew up a pub once and no one cared in a year's time.

e: gently caress that was 2002 :corsair:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A lot more people knew 10-15 years ago when there were attacks like the Bali Bombing or the various hotel / embassy attacks from Jemaah Islamiyah.

It also lead to this amazing statement:

In 2004 Alexander Downer posted:

If the Indonesians rang us up and said there's a terrorist group in the Kimberleys who are planning to launch an attack on Kupang, and we said: 'Well, we really don't care, that's your problem, pal, and we're not going to do anything about it', and they sent an F-16 over and bombed the terrorist group, you could understand that.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

Most australians think that Bali and indonesia are separate things.

The public meltdown in Australia when every few years the Indonesian government floats the idea of banning alcohol is always amazing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Victorian upper house results coming in.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Fiona pattern got back in?

Edit: yup
https://twitter.com/FionaPattenMLC/status/1072332973901578242?s=19

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 11, 2018

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
So the idea got me reading up on whatever public opinion polls I could find about Australian-Indonesian relationships. This one from 2016 seems pretty comprehensive.

Indonesians hold Australia in high regards. Somehow Australia has clawed its way up in the favourability rankings to third place, with a net favourability of 77%
Australians hold Indonesia in low regards. Net favourability of negative four percent.

Seventy six percent of Australians believe Asia is the most important region for Australia's future, however, 14% of Australians could not name any country in the region, another 12% could only name one country in the region. Unsurprisingly, not a single Indonesian was incapable of naming another country in the region.

Most hilariously, 66% of Indonesians consider Australia to be a good neighbour.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gentleman Baller posted:

So the idea got me reading up on whatever public opinion polls I could find about Australian-Indonesian relationships. This one from 2016 seems pretty comprehensive.

Indonesians hold Australia in high regards. Somehow Australia has clawed its way up in the favourability rankings to third place, with a net favourability of 77%
Australians hold Indonesia in low regards. Net favourability of negative four percent.

Seventy six percent of Australians believe Asia is the most important region for Australia's future, however, 14% of Australians could not name any country in the region, another 12% could only name one country in the region. Unsurprisingly, not a single Indonesian was incapable of naming another country in the region.

What the gently caress.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gentleman Baller posted:

Low standards combined with the two sweetest words in the English language: De fault!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gentleman Baller posted:

I'm sorry but why would they not? We send more aid to Indonesia than anywhere, trade heavily, holiday there, their President in companion to the Order of Australia... Do you think Indonesians harbour some universal love for asylum seekers?

e: all the Indonesians I know give us too much credit for being free of corruption in politics as well. Indonesia can be a pretty poo poo place.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I wonder what the opinion of Balinese Indonesians are.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Western Met upper house: Cesar Melhem (Labor); Bernie Finn (Liberal); Ingrid Stitt (Labor); Kaushaliya Veghela (Labor); Catherine Cumming (Hinch).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
We have hot The Narrative Wars over property

From the smh

House price falls across Sydney and Melbourne are accelerating according to new data that shows the nation's key property markets are facing their most challenging period in a decade.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics on Tuesday reported capital city prices fell by 1.5 per cent in the three months to the end of September.

But from news Corp!

Despite dire predictions this week of a looming collapse of the property market, which would trigger economic disaster, new figures show a lift in the number of recent homebuyers.

Housing finance data released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has revealed an increase in both the number and total value of mortgages issued in October.
Throughout the month, 52,654 loans were approved, up 2.2 per cent on September, which experts say represents rare good news.

IT BEGINS

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i had a quick count through the election results on vec, i think it was 18 ALP, 1 green, 2 hinches and Fiona Patten, so they'd only need to swing two of the hinches or fiona.

Fiona's done a lot with them last term so i think she'd be on board with a lot of the alp stuff this next term. just would depend on hinch party

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

are they gonna gently caress off group tickets this term?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

JBP posted:

I'm sorry but why would they not? We send more aid to Indonesia than anywhere, trade heavily, holiday there, their President in companion to the Order of Australia... Do you think Indonesians harbour some universal love for asylum seekers?

e: all the Indonesians I know give us too much credit for being free of corruption in politics as well. Indonesia can be a pretty poo poo place.

Surely if they love Asylum seekers they must love us sending all the ones coming to Australia by boat back?

I usually use Australia's aid to Indonesia as an example of how effective aid spending actually is, we have been cutting that though. But really I am referring to stuff like Australia bugging their embassies and at least attempting to bug their President, blaming Indonesia for the Bali bombings. I don't know we kind of come off as horrible neighbors to me.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 11, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh and ajp or whatever they do

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

rip greens.

all hail the 1000 year labor reich

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gentleman Baller posted:

Surely if they love Asylum seekers they must love us sending all the ones coming to Australia by boat back?

I usually use Australia's aid to Indonesia as an example of how effective aid spending actually is, we have been cutting that though. But really I am referring to stuff like Australia bugging their embassies and at least attempting to bug their President, blaming Indonesia for the Bali bombings. I don't know we kind of come off as horrible neighbors to me.

It's an aspirational country in many ways and we are seen as a fat, rich modern democracy. They also blame us for loads of poo poo in their local papers and politics btw. It's all stuff no one cares about when they're drinking a magic mushroom sundae in Kuta or attending a full fee university in regional New South Wales.

Also they have to front up t China a lot and when China is your big radar occupier, Australia would seem like a benevolent or slightly ambivalent sometimes chum.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drunkill posted:

rip greens.

all hail the 1000 year labor reich

I hate Sustainable Australia and the fat taxi driver party being in there, but at least the Aussie Battler Party are nowhere to be seen.

Also 2 libdems :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

I hate Sustainable Australia and the fat taxi driver party being in there, but at least the Aussie Battler Party are nowhere to be seen.

Also 2 libdems :/

and that loving australia health party, the anti vaxxers.

sustainable australia were anti immigration i think?

also lol @ shooters and nats.