Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

jokes posted:

Racing games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Kart.

Platformers are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario.

Sports games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Tennis/Golf.

Card games (Hearthstone, M:TG) are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Picture_Poker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

jokes posted:

Racing games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Kart.

Platformers are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario.

Sports games are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them. Other than Mario Tennis/Golf.

Card games (Hearthstone, M:TG) are boring, stupid games and I'll never play any of them.

Are you an alt of Uncle at Nintendo

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

:roboluv:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

magic: the gathering is legitimately fun, but it's a game that allows for pretty brutal decks and crazy turn arounds and other fun/and/or friendship destroying things

the online games like hearthstone and eternal that won't let you properly chat with your opponent and go out of their way to balance their games around avoiding hurt feelings suck rear end and remove all the good stuff about card games like being able to look someone in the eye while you gently caress their poo poo up

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
One of my irl dota friends has his own mate called Grant, i've met him once or twice, he's the sort of guy that has one of every warhammer paint, anyway my buddy told me that Grant had some rare expensive magic card that could essentially summon an infinite amount of flying unkillable angels that couldn't be stopped unless you had this similarly rare, expensive, counter-card which caused the angels to kamikaze dive-bomb their own troops, i'm paraphrasing but that was the gist

sounded cool but also convinced me never to play Magic at the same time

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Most of the cool cards are banned for a reason. When I knew some mtg nerds, one of them built a deck for me to use around a card called contamination that made all players mana tap for only black. You could play it turn 2 if you were lucky, and so, so many color and gimmick decks were just instantly hosed.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

This is actually pretty cool because it uses actual branded parts and it can teach you how to put together a real computer without the risk and investment.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McGiggins posted:

Most of the cool cards are banned for a reason. When I knew some mtg nerds, one of them built a deck for me to use around a card called contamination that made all players mana tap for only black. You could play it turn 2 if you were lucky, and so, so many color and gimmick decks were just instantly hosed.

the only proper way to play magic is a cube draft. that way everyone gets access to the same random pool of cards. otherwise magic is a really bullshit game; whoever put more time/money into their deck is going to be the winner.

any game of magic you play with a constructed deck is basically over before it even began. the real "game" doesn't happen at the table it happens as you look over your mana curve bar graphs and build the deck

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rutibex posted:

whoever put more time/money into their deck is going to be the winner.

-literally every card game ever

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

jokes posted:

At some point between the PS1 generation and now, someone decided that the most fun part of racing games were the menus, and that players should spend as much time as possible in them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SpazmasterX posted:

-literally every card game ever

Keyforge :colbert:

e: or any of the variety of nonrandom LCGs out there

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 10, 2018

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

EvilGenius posted:

At some point between the PS1 generation and now, someone decided that the most fun part of racing games were the menus, and that players should spend as much time as possible in them.

I want arcade style racers to come back so bad. I don't wanna manage/mod/repair a car. that poo poo already sucks in real life. Lemme go fast and crash into poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

basic hitler posted:

magic: the gathering is legitimately fun, but it's a game that allows for pretty brutal decks and crazy turn arounds and other fun/and/or friendship destroying things

the online games like hearthstone and eternal that won't let you properly chat with your opponent and go out of their way to balance their games around avoiding hurt feelings suck rear end and remove all the good stuff about card games like being able to look someone in the eye while you gently caress their poo poo up

otoh you no longer have to smell your opponent

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 10, 2018

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Pokémon TCG was fun and the GB color game that let you play it was also quite fun. It had the added bonus of being able to introduce cards that relied on RNG that you couldn’t really simulate in a physical TCG

Also the soundtrack loving slapped https://youtu.be/qxfY3Gzukl8

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

Keyforge :colbert:

e: or any of the variety of nonrandom LCGs out there
:psyduck:
but Keyforge is even more random than Magic

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

timp posted:

Pokémon TCG was fun and the GB color game that let you play it was also quite fun. It had the added bonus of being able to introduce cards that relied on RNG that you couldn’t really simulate in a physical TCG

Also the soundtrack loving slapped https://youtu.be/qxfY3Gzukl8

lol what are you talking about 'couldn't simulate in a physical tcg', the pokemon card game straight-up used cards from the first set of the physical game. "flipping coins" is not some crazy digital-only thing that we have no solution for in meatspace

also the pokemon tcg was, and is, extremely fuckin' bad by basically any metric at all

e:

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
but Keyforge is even more random than Magic

man, it's almost as though randomness is not at all what i was responding to there, crazy!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
WarioWare Gold has a CCG minigame of sorts? It's pretty fun for a while.

SpazmasterX posted:

This is actually pretty cool because it uses actual branded parts and it can teach you how to put together a real computer without the risk and investment.

We really don't get enough in the way of edutainment software these days. Mostly it's a side effect of people simulating their hobbies in obsessive detail.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rutibex posted:

whoever put more time/money into their deck is going to be the winner.

i want to win at games - but i don't want to spend money or invest actual effort. effort and money are for nerd losers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

man, it's almost as though randomness is not at all what i was responding to there, crazy!

keyforge is random as gently caress. that means the winner of the tournament is going to be the guy who spends $500 opening as many random decks as possible to get a good one. its like Magic, but somehow worse because you can't even buy individual cards.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i want to win at games - but i don't want to spend money or invest actual effort. effort and money are for nerd losers.

effort is fine, money is not. thats not a competition its a dick measuring contest. i have mad respect for chess masters

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

lol what are you talking about 'couldn't simulate in a physical tcg', the pokemon card game straight-up used cards from the first set of the physical game. "flipping coins" is not some crazy digital-only thing that we have no solution for in meatspace

also the pokemon tcg was, and is, extremely fuckin' bad by basically any metric at all

e:

There were unique cards with attacks that said something like “attacks one of your opponent’s benched Pokémon at random” in the game boy game that weren’t in the regular TCG. It’d be pretty tough to translate that to physical media without some sort of dice rolling mechanic which the Pokémon TCG definitely didn’t employ

Also I posit that YOU are extremely fuckin’ bad by basically any metric at all

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

keyforge is random as gently caress. that means the winner of the tournament is going to be the guy who spends $500 opening as many random decks as possible to get a good one.

despite what the people flipping $80 horsemen decks on ebay would have you believe, this is not how kf works in practice.

timp posted:

There were unique cards with attacks that said something like “attacks one of your opponent’s benched Pokémon at random” in the game boy game that weren’t in the regular TCG. It’d be pretty tough to translate that to physical media without some sort of dice rolling mechanic which the Pokémon TCG definitely didn’t employ

Also I posit that YOU are extremely fuckin’ bad by basically any metric at all

eh, even if some stuff like pidgeot was gameboy-only does not mean that those card effects are impossible to replicate in real games

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ChazTurbo posted:

I want arcade style racers to come back so bad. I don't wanna manage/mod/repair a car. that poo poo already sucks in real life. Lemme go fast and crash into poo poo.

This is why Burnout is the best racing series

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rutibex posted:

any game of magic you play with a constructed deck is basically over before it even began. the real "game" doesn't happen at the table it happens as you look over your mana curve bar graphs and build the deck

that isn't really true but then it's a rutibex opinion

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why people romanticize Saints Row. That's not to say I hate it. 3 was a fun game even if it wasn't really anything special, and 2 seemed alright even if I couldn't get into it because it felt super dated and lovely to play by the time I got around to it. Sr4 was a lazy pile of poo poo. But it's thematically insanely generic and the "humor" is dumber than gently caress. The open world is also pretty bland. The main thing it has going for it is tons of customization and pretty sericable, arcadey shooting and driving but it's a super unremarkable series.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get why people romanticize Saints Row. That's not to say I hate it. 3 was a fun game even if it wasn't really anything special, and 2 seemed alright even if I couldn't get into it because it felt super dated and lovely to play by the time I got around to it. Sr4 was a lazy pile of poo poo. But it's thematically insanely generic and the "humor" is dumber than gently caress. The open world is also pretty bland. The main thing it has going for it is tons of customization and pretty sericable, arcadey shooting and driving but it's a super unremarkable series.

Guess this guy just hates fun :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
saints row 2 actually has an extremely good and detailed open world. but you missed it because it was too dated, and i missed it because i tried to play it on windows 7

that said i symphatize with your plight of games looking too dated. i always piss off tons of people when i say deus ex looks too dated for me to take seriously

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played it long enough to get a taste for it. But I also played it after 3, and man the controls and gameplay just sucked in 2012 or whenever I played it. I couldn't finish it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

veni veni veni posted:

saints row 2 came out the same time as gta4, but took the opposite approach. instead of being a serious game with a whole Serious Big Boy AAA Storyline, it was goofy and fun and didn't take itself seriously. it also brought a whole bunch of mechanics that gta4 was missing.

saints row 3 I never played, that was 2011 so it was before gta5. I think it was probably a very well timed game for 2011 and everyone loved how it didn't take itself seriously

saints row 4 I didn't play either, think it was forced to market because the developers were running out of cash and needed something big, and saints row was their biggest IP so they bundled up the world they already had and made a quick tie-in

saints row 2 was a pretty great game at the time, so I think you just missed out on it when it was new and would have made you excited about the other ones

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

piratepilates posted:

saints row 2 came out the same time as gta4, but took the opposite approach. instead of being a serious game with a whole Serious Big Boy AAA Storyline, it was goofy and fun and didn't take itself seriously. it also brought a whole bunch of mechanics that gta4 was missing.

saints row 3 I never played, that was 2011 so it was before gta5. I think it was probably a very well timed game for 2011 and everyone loved how it didn't take itself seriously

saints row 4 I didn't play either, think it was forced to market because the developers were running out of cash and needed something big, and saints row was their biggest IP so they bundled up the world they already had and made a quick tie-in

saints row 2 was a pretty great game at the time, so I think you just missed out on it when it was new and would have made you excited about the other ones

That's fair enough. I agree Sr3 was probably well timed. it's probably not fair to judge how good 2 actually was when games had advanced significantly by the time I played it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I think people only romanticize 2 and 3. 1 was a boring gta clone IIRC. 2 and 3 were the good ones that carved out a nice saints row niche in open world games. 4 seemed cheap, but you got to be a superhero so I'm sure theres people who still like it because you can just go and fly through the air and beat up bad guys like iron man, or whatever you do in it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think you should play either 3 or 4, but playing them both will make you think less of them. 4 is fun as hell though, it's bullshit crazy idea the video game as well as being an entirely competent ubilike.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

4 is such a dumb game, it felt dumb to play. It felt like a lovely mod where someone added superpowers, none of the abilities actually felt developed with any real decent feedback

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I see a lot of love for 4 but I thought it was pretty bad. Probably the funnest part of 3 was the car and character customization, both of those things were irrelevant in 4 because you could barely see your character since they just glow all the time, and cars were pointless. It was just the map from SR3 so it wasn't designed around the superpowers and they all felt sloppy as hell because of that. I also hated the permanent neon night style.

I know it was just a DLC, expanded and released as a standalone game, but I thought it was ridiculous to sell it as a full price sequel. Should have released it for like $25 and called it Saints Row: Heroes or something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mechwarrior 3 was the best multiplayer game ever on THE ZONE.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

dreadmojo posted:

I think you should play either 3 or 4, but playing them both will make you think less of them. 4 is fun as hell though, it's bullshit crazy idea the video game as well as being an entirely competent ubilike.

3 does some cool stuff in terms of changing portions of the world and actually makes you feel like you're progressing in the game at a pace that matches the narrative. Also I'm pretty sure that they only force you to do reach mission type once and then just make them side stuff. As opposed to GTA where you'll do forty "follow the car" missions in the first five hours.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

saints row 2 has the most progressive character creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twpe_yiCi_8&t=7s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I see a lot of love for 4 but I thought it was pretty bad. Probably the funnest part of 3 was the car and character customization, both of those things were irrelevant in 4 because you could barely see your character since they just glow all the time, and cars were pointless. It was just the map from SR3 so it wasn't designed around the superpowers and they all felt sloppy as hell because of that. I also hated the permanent neon night style.

I know it was just a DLC, expanded and released as a standalone game, but I thought it was ridiculous to sell it as a full price sequel. Should have released it for like $25 and called it Saints Row: Heroes or something.

I've played the first few hours of 3 several times and it feels bland and laboured compared to the ideas in the equivalent part of 4 - you're in a COD parody! you're disarming a nuclear missile in flight! you're the president! ALEINS ATTACK! holy poo poo the worlds exploding! you're in a 50s sitcom parody! you're in a matrix parody, butt-naked! you're destroying everything with a giant robot!! you're flying a spaceship while 80s power pop plays!

Then the game starts and it's just solid fun imo, I actually got right into upgrading the cars so you can totally do it if you want to, it's just you can leap tall buildings and run faster than a train as well.

If I'd squeezed sr3 dry first I would probably feel different, but I didn't so I loved 4.

e: plus it has the best romance scenes in any video game ever

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 11, 2018

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

whoa a dubstep gun, hahaha lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pooch516 posted:

3 does some cool stuff in terms of changing portions of the world and actually makes you feel like you're progressing in the game at a pace that matches the narrative. Also I'm pretty sure that they only force you to do reach mission type once and then just make them side stuff. As opposed to GTA where you'll do forty "follow the car" missions in the first five hours.

basically the worst thing saints row 3 did was remove the minigame where you spray poo poo at rich peoples' houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Metal Gear Survive is good