Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
I wouldn’t have noticed that Gidhorah was flattening Fenway Park if it weren’t for that huge Dunkin sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1072283235072311296

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Man, if Anguirus shows up in this thing, I'm gonna end up comatose under the cup holders.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So right now I think we're at about 3-2 for space/earth Ghidorah origins.

Showa: Space
Heisei: Earth
Mothra Trilogy: Space
GMK: Earth
Final Wars: Space

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

wdarkk posted:

So right now I think we're at about 3-2 for space/earth Ghidorah origins.

Showa: Space
Heisei: Earth
Mothra Trilogy: Space
GMK: Earth
Final Wars: Space

Space in the anime as well.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Heisei version, while not from space, is from the future and that's equally acceptable to me.

e: Oh, what's this:

quote:

The novelization of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah states that the Dorats themselves were engineered from the DNA found in cells recovered from the corpse of another King Ghidorah found on the surface of Venus.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 11, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rewatching the trailer a billion times and I just noticed that Godzilla is keeping up with the loving jets as he charges Ghidorah.

Big boy going fast.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Jimbot posted:

I hope that one coming out of the ground with many claws is a good guy. It's tearing up an oil pumping site and that's a good thing.

By this metric, Ghidorah is a saint for defeating the Red Sox

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rewatching the trailer a billion times and I just noticed that Godzilla is keeping up with the loving jets as he charges Ghidorah.

Big boy going fast.

I like that the jets are pretty clearly on Big G's side in this. Like, they ain't doing much, but they're charging in with him.

I'm excited to see how the monster battle lines are drawn. Like literally drawn in the ground. On top of a city. What used to be a city.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 11, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm assuming that Rodan and other Kaiju get Goji all up and active, then eco terrorist lady wakes up Ghidorah, who beats Goji in round one and he retreats to his underwater crib. ghidorah starts massacring everything so Mothra is awoken to stop KG and then Godzilla makes a last minute turn with his meltdown form to kill the giant fucker after KG blows up Mothra.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm assuming that Rodan and other Kaiju get Goji all up and active, then eco terrorist lady wakes up Ghidorah, who beats Goji in round one and he retreats to his underwater crib. ghidorah starts massacring everything so Mothra is awoken to stop KG and then Godzilla makes a last minute turn with his meltdown form to kill the giant fucker after KG blows up Mothra.

Speculation: If the Mutos wake up and cause some havok, then eco terrorist lady mistakenly wakes Gidorah causing greater problem or perhaps the mutos wake up Gidorah. If she's an eco terrorist lady maybe she's hoping the mutos wreck the oil companies like in the trailer and then wakes King Gidorah to go after energy companies. It looks like to me there's scenes of Godzilla in a volcano like area and he looks beat. I wonder if they go to Godzilla first to fight Gidorah and he gets knocked down during the city battle, then has to go to volcano to recharge and radiate up for round 2 cause there's scenes of Godzilla or something with like lava flowing off him. I wonder if Rodan is activated after the fact or around this time for support. Or I'm mistaking Rodan's body for Godzilla.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bear in mind that ecoterrorist lady's actress has said in an interview that her character's invented a sonic wave thingie that lets her communicate with the kaiju, so she's planning to wake them up - and that everyone but her realizes what a terrible idea this is.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I kinda wouldn't mind if we got a little side movie or shorts about society after Godzilla 14. Like Ron Perelman's Hannibal Chau leading betting circles underground on who wins in the fights.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
"In a time when monsters walk the Earth, humanity’s fight for its future sets Godzilla and Kong on a collision course that will see the two most powerful forces of nature on the planet collide in a spectacular battle for the ages. As Monarch embarks on a perilous mission into uncharted terrain and unearths clues to the Titans’ origins, a human conspiracy threatens to wipe the creatures, both good and bad, from the face of the earth forever."

This synopsis of Godzilla vs Kong leads me to believe MechaG could be on the table - how else would they threaten to wipe monsters from the face of the Earth? Perfect reason to team up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I say they use Kong to defend against the monsters. He's going to be used as the human's tool, perhaps set Godzilla and the others up and piss off Kong to send him off against them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I could see that. Not hard to imagine Kong being a much more publicly acceptable kaiju to most people, given that he's much more human-like in appearance and behavior.

That or this conspiracy has an idea that they've totally got under control and cannot possibly go wrong like Destroyer or SpaceGodzilla.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
If we were just going by Gareth Edward's G14 I'd definitely agree that Mecha-G is too weird and anime for this monsterverse. But I think both Kong and, from the looks of it, KotM are pushing the movies, tonally. in a direction where a giant robot wouldn't be totally outlandish. Kong is already super pulpy and it looks like we may be getting some version of the Super X in KotM, which opens up the door for scifi super weapons. It really just comes down to execution.

Then again, I can see a monster like Destroyer or Biollante fitting the bill as well. I think they'll definitely want to introduce some new sort of next-level threat if this is going to be the last film in the franchise - something bigger and more novel than just another oversized animal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Something...genetically engineered and imbued by life from something from space by the hands of man in science gone too far!!!!???????

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To take down the titans, we need something on the level of a titan, but we'll need it to know right from wrong, and be controllable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

To take down the titans, we need something on the level of a titan, but we'll need it to know right from wrong, and be controllable.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #6

Godzilla is fighting Mecha-Gigan and Orga. Military is trying to also help. Things are looking grim but then...

NEXT ISSUE: PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing Mothra in action really changed my mind on the new design. I like it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would enjoy the revelation that Ghidorah is the smartest monster but also the most malevolent.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

King Ghidorah's charge at the end of the latest trailer is totally scary and badass. So much confidence and hate behind it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think my favourite shot in the trailer is actually Ghidorah dropping his heads down to street level. The fact that the monsters are not only aware of us, but actively malicious against us, is unsettling and I love it. It's like that scene in Pacific Rim where child Mako is being chased by a Kaiju showing how, even though we're ants to them, they want us loving dead.

And Ghidorah is just plain evil so it works even better.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Finally found a watchable version of the original teaser, scope the multi-legged monster. Imagine if Legendary was playing the long game with this kaiju
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVp3rV5ZrTI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just noticed that Godzilla isn't dragging his tail at all in that long shot. That's pretty rare for him. Yeah, he can swing it when he wants to and it works great as balance for a flying dropkick, but he usually drags it a little bit near the base while the whipped end flails around.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Speculation:
We know that MBB's parents are divorced and there's a sibling we don't see in a family photo. The divorce was largely caused by the sibling's death (I know I'm very far from the first person to think that), and that is what MBB was listening and reacting to on the ham radio as opposed to something kaiju-related.

If this has already been said by super-duper insiders, never mind.

BTW, I'm so happy to see the funniest trope of kaiju movies kept alive -- soldiers using small arms on monsters the size of aircraft carriers.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

BTW, I'm so happy to see the funniest trope of kaiju movies kept alive -- soldiers using small arms on monsters the size of aircraft carriers.

i mean, those bullets are only going to weigh you down while you're running otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY2mgK-1U9o

Just a couple of kaiju out for a stroll.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Hey -- you never know.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Shot Context:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nroo posted:

Shot Context:

Well-spotted !

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Got a Paradise Lost vibe from Gidorah falling from the heavens... And apparently one or more of his silver tongues puts a good lie over on our eco-terrorist.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Speculation: Every kaiju aside from Godzilla himself dies by the end of the movie. Godzilla heel-turns because he figures we're the ones who let Ghidorah out in the first place and starts wrecking poo poo. The next movie is all about humanity making a hail-mary attempt to get Kong to fight Godzilla before he wipes us from the planet. No third monster comes into play and they just focus on the marquee bout.

Note: I don't want this all that much as I'd rather Godzilla win, but I feel like Hollywood's going to side with the American monster at the end of things (even though Godzilla's cooler). Also it's really hard for me to see Kong as anything but an underdog in this fight, even knowing that he won the last time it happened.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Godzilla was the underdog the last time - he was far newer than Kong and Toho had to work their butts off to make sure it was a fitting use of the RKO character. Note it was called King Kong vs. Godzilla and not the other way around.

I'm thinking Godzilla will go from being questioned as King of the Monsters (seen in the first film near the end), to usurping the throne of the pretender Ghidorah, to passing the reigns onto Kong in some fashion for the third act, by lose or by bequeathment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speculation: Ghidorah is actually the hero of the story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speculation: the giant monster rising from the earth (not the kumonga spider) is actually Godzilla in a reference to his introduction in the original Godzilla vs Mothra/ Get: the three headed Monster films where he rose from the sand.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

The Golden Gael posted:

Godzilla was the underdog the last time - he was far newer than Kong and Toho had to work their butts off to make sure it was a fitting use of the RKO character. Note it was called King Kong vs. Godzilla and not the other way around.

In terms of branding, yeah, Kong was the favorite. I'm talking physically. Even in KKvG, where he was beefed up to Godzilla's size, Kong was portrayed pretty solidly as having to fight an uphill battle. The only thing that saved him at the end was the lightning storm.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kong better have his parachute again.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speculation: the giant monster rising from the earth (not the kumonga spider) is actually Godzilla in a reference to his introduction in the original Godzilla vs Mothra/ Get: the three headed Monster films where he rose from the sand.

Gave me Anguirius vibes even though it's not him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Man that is so freaky to watch people blown away (literally) by Rodan's airwake.