Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

how do you trigger the patrol duty event? i want those handmade plans

You just have to server hop from that location and run up to the wall of the prison hoping it triggers. Good luck getting those plans, though. I’ve run it maybe a dozen times and have probably managed to get every plan type it can give but those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm interested in getting the flamer where the heck are those blue prints?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm interested in getting the flamer where the heck are those blue prints?

I think you need the confirmed bachelor perk first.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Powershift posted:

I think you need the confirmed bachelor perk first.

Uhh I'm trying to be an aggressive power bottom wouldn't that be the lady killer perk since that's an affront to womanness? - Bloody Hedghog.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Hbomberguy posted:

Something I did for ages and regret now is I would do the over the top stuff I thought was a bit silly as a kind of ironic joke, to try and emphasise the difference between what I was going for and more standard gamer takes. Too many people just find it annoying or take it fully seriously as one of those takes, so I try to avoid that now

im glad you found space in your heart to love the pip boy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

frajaq posted:

I cannot for the life of me imagine Bethesda caring about balance in their games

Thanos will remember that.

Edit:
at the time I posted this, they have published a patch that address many balance issues. Weird or not, they do care about balance (!).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

But really where are the flamer blueprints

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I believe I saw them on a vendor in Watoga but I can’t remember if it was the one at the station or the one in the shopping plaza.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

J-Spot posted:

I believe I saw them on a vendor in Watoga but I can’t remember if it was the one at the station or the one in the shopping plaza.

Perfect. I'll be trying to get them when I get home. If a goon is feeling generous and see it, it they'll grab it for me I'll cover the cap cost.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

J-Spot posted:

It'd have to be the plaza, the station only carries raider underwear and radium rifle plans.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love FO3 and NV equally. I think they're just fun to explore in.

Hbomberguy posted:

Something I did for ages and regret now is I would do the over the top stuff I thought was a bit silly as a kind of ironic joke, to try and emphasise the difference between what I was going for and more standard gamer takes. Too many people just find it annoying or take it fully seriously as one of those takes, so I try to avoid that now

That's understandable though I thought it was funny v:v:v

Dark Souls 2 is great though you bastardman

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

have they patched in more fallout boys yet

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's never been balance to Bethesda games. Nor dor does anyone know how to balance a Bethesda game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Glenn Quebec posted:

Just do the quest for the find out what happened to the people in the chemical factory below thunder mountain. You get a legendary flamer for it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

It'd have to be the plaza, the station only carries raider underwear and radium rifle plans.

Probably. Either way you’d probably have to server hop to find them. That vendor can also have stuff like Gauss and Tesla rifle plans but there’s no guarantee. I was hoping this patch might fix vendors to have plans more consistently (and not have plans stop showing up after certain levels) but it doesn’t look like it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Siljmonster posted:

There's never been balance to Bethesda games. Nor dor does anyone know how to balance a Bethesda game.

I have already reserved a room in GDC to talk about "How unbalance in Bethesda games generate a humus of exploitability that is rich and shocking for the player".

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Tei posted:

Edit:
at the time I posted this, they have published a patch that address many balance issues. Weird or not, they do care about balance (!).

they did a real good job by helping balance the fact that most enemies are basically just bullet sponges by making it harder to find and craft bullets.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Patch Notes: https://fallout.bethesda.net/article/1EDxoSmqFye0QYa2GyQw2u/fallout-76-patch-notes-december-11-2018

They fixed the carry weight exploit. RIP.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BUGFIX: A bug in the armor system made it easier for players to have fun doing the main activity the game revolves around. This has been fixed.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Any one if they added a filter for recipes you already know?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Ariong posted:

BUGFIX: A bug in the armor system made it easier for players to have fun doing the main activity the game revolves around. This has been fixed.

It also exploded the servers, which are apparently held together with silly string and positive thoughts about the pip boy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
when people say bethesda games are Always Buggy What's The Problem they seem to not understand something super loving basic, which is that bugs that are funny or help you are fine and can be a fun thing to run into. Like when Skyrim released and the giants could hit you so hard the physics engine broke and you flew 400 miles into the air, that was a bug. but it was hilarious and didn't harm anything so it's actually a plus, right? being able to duplicate poo poo in oblivion is fine because you don't have to, but if you wanna make a bunch of money and gently caress around you can do it, it's fine. people spawning in t-pose and floating away is funny. all these things are funny.

when you have a multiplayer scenario they stop being funny because they mean other players have an advantage over you, and when you get stuck or some comical misadventure blows you up out of nowhere you can't just reload a save or something to get out of it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So last patch they nerfed workshops this patch they Nerf loot drops and events what do they want players to actually do?

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
This thread has been quite a journey for me. I've enjoyed all the reactions and responses and the back and forth. I found out in this thread that Bethesda had announced a space game, Starfield, and initially I was excited because I was still excited for ES6. Skyrim is one of my favourite games, one of the ones I've sunk the most hours into on PC. It got me into modding in general and also led me to explore the lore of the Elder Scrolls setting more widely which I loved. I spent so much time reading about the time line, major events, the crazy origins of the setting itself, etc.

Then the state of this game killed all the excitement and enthusiasm I had for ES6 and the initial excitement I had for Starfield. I just can't believe the state this game was shipped in and Bethesda's subsequent behaviour. It's quite baffling to me on so many levels. Like others have said before, it's as if they're deliberately trying to tank all the potential goodwill they had. I've not even touched the game and the state of this one brought back memories of when I bought Skyrim for the first time, on XBox 360, and I actually stopped playing because it was so buggy. It was only a year or so later when I got it cheap on PC and modded it that I fell in love with it. Crazy how good memories for a thing can overwrite bad ones for that same thing, or at least suppress them.

Still wouldn't trade the experience I had with Skyrim on PC, though.

I actually bought Fallouts 1 and 2 off GOG years ago, back when they still offered the complete package with all the extra bits, and I LOVE CRPGs and want to give these a go. Are there any recommended mods to install for these old games or is just playing vanilla through GOG just fine?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how somehow the Something Awful Dot Com forums have better code than a Bethesda game

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

So last patch they nerfed workshops this patch they Nerf loot drops and events what do they want players to actually do?

melee

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Well, the most profitable use-case for Bethesda is someone who buys the game, buys some atom stuff, and then never plays the game again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Buy poo poo in the atomic shop

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

Buy poo poo in the atomic shop

Then they should be nerfing the Atom earn rate because so far I've been able to buy everything I wanted (2 power armor skins) and still have a bunch left over without actually spending any money.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zirak posted:

This thread has been quite a journey for me. I've enjoyed all the reactions and responses and the back and forth. I found out in this thread that Bethesda had announced a space game, Starfield, and initially I was excited because I was still excited for ES6. Skyrim is one of my favourite games, one of the ones I've sunk the most hours into on PC. It got me into modding in general and also led me to explore the lore of the Elder Scrolls setting more widely which I loved. I spent so much time reading about the time line, major events, the crazy origins of the setting itself, etc.

Then the state of this game killed all the excitement and enthusiasm I had for ES6 and the initial excitement I had for Starfield.

Space has been underused everywhere in all pop culture creations. Maybe only Star Trek has done something interesting for it, and only because the writters where forced to made up poo poo every week and they themselves where bored to repeat tropes, so they where forced to invent new ones.

Pop culture have draw a straight line and explore everything in that line, but beyond that line theres a gigantic universe of ideas to explore in this setting.

A idiot writter could accidentally find himself lost in the setting and have something more interesting to say than your average space movie.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Zirak posted:

I actually bought Fallouts 1 and 2 off GOG years ago, back when they still offered the complete package with all the extra bits, and I LOVE CRPGs and want to give these a go. Are there any recommended mods to install for these old games or is just playing vanilla through GOG just fine?

Not many mods for those AFAIK, but yeah, vanilla is the way to go. Maybe for FO2 you might consider using the mod that alters the Temple of trials starting area, since that is just dire, but you can power through.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some necessary fixes in this patch, but for some of them it's embarrassing they're only being addressed a month after the game's release.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tei posted:

Space has been underused everywhere in all pop culture creations. Maybe only Star Trek has done something interesting for it, and only because the writters where forced to made up poo poo every week and they themselves where bored to repeat tropes, so they where forced to invent new ones.

Pop culture have draw a straight line and explore everything in that line, but beyond that line theres a gigantic universe of ideas to explore in this setting.

A idiot writter could accidentally find himself lost in the setting and have something more interesting to say than your average space movie.

there is literally 0% possibility that modern bethesda will do anything original

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheSwizzler posted:

It also exploded the servers, which are apparently held together with silly string and positive thoughts about the pip boy

The fact that large inventories break things is shamefully hilarious. Are player inventories actually keeping all the items instanced in the map somewhere where they have to be loaded up already, ready to be rendered? It’s not just a list?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Entropic posted:

The fact that large inventories break things is shamefully hilarious. Are player inventories actually keeping all the items instanced in the map somewhere where they have to be loaded up already, ready to be rendered? It’s not just a list?

Horse pants.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Entropic posted:

I mean, that's how it works in other Bethesda games yeah?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheSwizzler posted:

Horse pants.

At least UO’s inventory bugs were entertaining.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is what seems so weird, this game seems to put a realy central importance on every quest having a faction alliance and it goes really far out of it's way to frame a bunch of quest chains as you personally being granted membership in joinable factions. But the factions aren't actually in the game and it's unclear if it's even internally tracking what factions you are a member of beyond the quests completed log.

Doesn't seem like it tracks it very well since you can scour a place clean before a quest sends you there to trigger something specific

On the bright side, it doesn't take as long the second time since you can just magically warp there with the power of capitalism

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
F76 is a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

how's the price increase a user interface fix?