Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

`Nemesis posted:

Thanks for bringing back the pull for next toggle

Same. Appreciate that you considered our opinion. I don’t really understand the anti-settings crowd and I’m a vote against it even if it makes me a bad Apple user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
+1 for the "let us disable pull for next" crowd. I don't measure my scrolls to the millimetre and often go ahead to the next page when I just want to make sure I'm at the bottom. I don't like having the whole next page marked as read when that happens.

I disabled that toggle as soon as it was available back in version whenever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Please add a button to activate this JavaScript snippet:

code:
javascript:(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > iframe').length === 0 }).hide() })()
It is quite useful for catching up with political threads.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

ratbert90 posted:

code:
javascript:(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > iframe').length === 0 }).hide() })()

Does it filter out giant tweetdumps :agesilaus:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thank you for returning the toggle to pull for next page! It's very appreciated.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I love the app but can you add the option to turn off the pull to go to the next page. I remember it used to be toggleable but now it seems like it's always on.

Edit: wow it's back. Whoops

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TraderStav posted:

Can we add a toggle in settings to disable pull for next page?

This, please. I’m sorry if this has been addressed, but I seem to recall I turned this off in the past because I don’t like that particular behavior.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This, please. I’m sorry if this has been addressed, but I seem to recall I turned this off in the past because I don’t like that particular behavior.

Update your app, it's back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shortspecialbus posted:

Update your app, it's back.

Thanks!

Funny enough, my setting was still saved from when it was there previously.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is there a way to un-ignore people within the app? I've ignored people accidentally a couple times and clicking on the Ignore button again doesn't do it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spoilers broken again :(
iOS 12.1.1, latest version of the app
iPhone 6s+

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thanks to everyone sharing why they turn off pull-for-next-page :)

GenericGirlName posted:

Spoilers broke again for me. As other people pointed out it also breaks pulling up the rap sheet. It doesn't stop me from voting in a thread. Scroll to end does behave weirdly? Clearing cache doesn't fix either. I have a recording of the scroll to end behavior if you'd like.

:shrug:

I'll take a look at the video.

Coq au Nandos posted:

They grey bar is back in the latest update. XS Max, I changed the app icon prior to updating.

:sigh: good to know. Still haven't looked into it, sorry. Always happy to +1 it on the list though.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Same. Appreciate that you considered our opinion. I don’t really understand the anti-settings crowd and I’m a vote against it even if it makes me a bad Apple user.

I want to make something that works for everyone without configuration. Sometimes that's absolutely impossible, and so we will always have settings. I'm convinced that pull-for-next-page is doable in a way that is usable without anyone triggering it accidentally. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it'd require a whole different implementation. But that's when I'm anti-settings: when it's a failure of design.

ratbert90 posted:

code:

I like it!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Funny enough, my setting was still saved from when it was there previously.

I wouldn't be that mean…

goferchan posted:

Is there a way to un-ignore people within the app? I've ignored people accidentally a couple times and clicking on the Ignore button again doesn't do it

I think this is a lil bug in the app. It should turn into an "Unignore" button if you tap the author of an ignored post. But as it's currently implemented you'd have to reload the page or go find another (now ignored) post from that user in order to see the "Unignore" action. I'll add it to my list.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

iPhone 6s+

Sorry. I still have no idea what's causing this. I haven't given up yet though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

pokeyman posted:

:sigh: good to know. Still haven't looked into it, sorry. Always happy to +1 it on the list though.

No worries mate. I’ve done a clean reinstall and that’s fixed it. I’m fairly sure it’s changing the icon that causes it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any chance of getting a shorter "Jerk detected" dialogue for ignored users? Some threads I follow have a few atrocious posters who make loads of posts and the fact the dialogue goes into at least two lines looks a bit mad sometimes.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Well good news: I'm loving with it for the nest release! :toot: Thanks though, appreciate it. It should still fix the whip-scrolling thing.

I feel very bad about this but I'm really unhappy with the changes in the latest[ish] version of the scroll for next page. On my iPad Pro 11 2018", the version I was happy with required about 2" of scroll or so to switch to the next page. This was perfect for me, since I tend to read towards the middle of the page and am constantly-ish slowly scrolling the page up in text-heavy threads. In the new version, where scroll speed is a factor, this does completely fix the whip scrolling thing and it helps in threads where I'm scrolling faster, but I'm back to missing the last post or two on the page if they're short because when you're scrolling really slow, it'll trigger now at about 1/2" of scroll or so, which isn't enough for me to catch that it's going to turn to next page out of the corner of my eye.

I know that this goes against the design ideals and all, but I would really really love a toggle that lets me pick like a screen percentage of scroll required, or a toggle to go back to the behavior I really liked, or something of that sort. I understand my use case here is probably not the norm, and I may be the only one having this particular complaint, so I'll just deal with it and try to adjust if I have to. It's definitely better than it was a while back, and I suspect it's pretty good on phone-sized devices too, but just for me on a tablet with how I read, it's screwing me up again :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just 👏 put 👏 a 👏 delay

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

Just 👏 put 👏 a 👏 delay

The pull should only advance if it starts at ~100% position, after a 500ms hold! Storm the castle!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Open in YouTube doesn't seem to be working anymore. I used to tap the title of an embedded video and it would take me to the app. Now it does nothing

Hitting play just opens it in-app

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

For pull to refresh, why not have a 1/2 screen padding buffer at the end of the page?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spanky the dolphin posted:

For pull to refresh, why not have a 1/2 screen padding buffer at the end of the page?

please stop it works great

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

spanky the dolphin posted:

I've thought about the same, but I think it would break the "flow" of browsing. The current pull implementation is pretty good, but might could use a tweak or two. Right now, momentum from scrolling is stopped if the scroll hits the end of a page and that works pretty well. However, if you're reading a longer post that's last or next to last it's pretty easy to pull into the next page mid post without realizing. I personally read in the "middle" of the screen so it's not easy to notice you've hit the bottom as some of that screen real estate is reserved by my thumb scrolling up.

Occam's Razor says to just keep it as is and let clutzs like myself toggle on the no pull option.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

iPhone 6s+

Same, but on iPhone 8.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Bug report; this one's been going on for several versions but never bothered me enough to report til now.

If I filter a thread by one user's posts, then longpress on the page count and hit "last post", I'm taken to the last page of the whole thread, not the last page of that user's posts.

In contrast, the "first post" option works fine; takes me to the first page of the user's posts.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 11, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

syscall girl posted:

please stop it works great

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why not just have a config for the pull to refresh page?
Allow for shorter or longer distance and to increase/decrease the delay?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ratbert90 posted:

Why not just have a config for the pull to refresh page?
Allow for shorter or longer distance and to increase/decrease the delay?

Chrome on iOS has a great pull function for refresh, back, and forward. You get the confirmation that it's about to execute one of those after a slight delay and when you release it does so. If you didn't want to, you slid your finger back to cancel. That'd be the best of all worlds IMO. If that was implemented well I'd say we wouldn't even need to the toggle, but keep it anyway!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think instead of a pull to refresh we should have to swipe a pattern to refresh.

Maybe like a pentagram or something.

Just throwing that out there.

PS Leave it alone for gods sake it works perfectly now.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TraderStav posted:

Chrome on iOS has a great pull function for refresh, back, and forward. You get the confirmation that it's about to execute one of those after a slight delay and when you release it does so. If you didn't want to, you slid your finger back to cancel. That'd be the best of all worlds IMO. If that was implemented well I'd say we wouldn't even need to the toggle, but keep it anyway!

It's great unless you're trying to refresh a containerized single page web app and you have to hunt for the spot on the page where you can get "traction" to drag the containing div down to trigger it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Unironically think it would be cool if you had to use two fingers to pull up the refresh but really just leave it alone it’s fine

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Add a software PID-style module that allows me to tune my own motion parameters for the pull-to-refresh feature.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I get that it's fine for everyone that it's fine for, but it's really not fine for me and I'd hate to have to turn it off because I love the feature.

I do not understand this weird idea of there's only one correct way to have things and anyone who doesn't like it is wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah but it’s ok to be wrong.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The gesture based page switching someone mentioned was interesting. I don’t know many apps that support it though.

Bug talk: I occasionally get caught in “preview loops” where I can’t advance to post and keep getting put into preview. Workaround is to cancel out and hit the make post button, which brings you to the submit post page with your looped post. It’s a minor annoyance at worst, so no hurry.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Any chance of getting a shorter "Jerk detected" dialogue for ignored users? Some threads I follow have a few atrocious posters who make loads of posts and the fact the dialogue goes into at least two lines looks a bit mad sometimes.

It does look pretty goofy when you have a big pile of ignored posts, though I'm not sure it'd look much less goofy if it went down to one line?

I have wondered about replacing ignored posts with a lil centred label or something. And coalescing multiple consecutive ignored posts into a "5 ignored posts" line. But then I wonder if it's just ignoring the signs that it's a lovely thread.

shortspecialbus posted:

I feel very bad about this but I'm really unhappy with the changes in the latest[ish] version of the scroll for next page. On my iPad Pro 11 2018", the version I was happy with required about 2" of scroll or so to switch to the next page. This was perfect for me, since I tend to read towards the middle of the page and am constantly-ish slowly scrolling the page up in text-heavy threads. In the new version, where scroll speed is a factor, this does completely fix the whip scrolling thing and it helps in threads where I'm scrolling faster, but I'm back to missing the last post or two on the page if they're short because when you're scrolling really slow, it'll trigger now at about 1/2" of scroll or so, which isn't enough for me to catch that it's going to turn to next page out of the corner of my eye.

I know that this goes against the design ideals and all, but I would really really love a toggle that lets me pick like a screen percentage of scroll required, or a toggle to go back to the behavior I really liked, or something of that sort. I understand my use case here is probably not the norm, and I may be the only one having this particular complaint, so I'll just deal with it and try to adjust if I have to. It's definitely better than it was a while back, and I suspect it's pretty good on phone-sized devices too, but just for me on a tablet with how I read, it's screwing me up again :(

Now that you mention it I think I made it more touchy than it was before, which wasn't my goal, and I can bump it up a bit without making it annoying.

Data Graham posted:

Just 👏 put 👏 a 👏 delay

Delays really frustrate me, so I'm not a huge fan of this, though I appreciate the idea!

101 posted:

Open in YouTube doesn't seem to be working anymore. I used to tap the title of an embedded video and it would take me to the app. Now it does nothing

Hitting play just opens it in-app

Good catch! I had a quick look and I'm not sure why nothing seems to happen when tapping the title. I'll add it to the list.

While poking around I did see that long-pressing the title was broken, so I fixed that for the next version. When that comes out, you'll be able to long-press the title and choose Open or Open in YouTube from the menu, which is a bit better than nothing!

jivjov posted:

Bug report; this one's been going on for several versions but never bothered me enough to report til now.

If I filter a thread by one user's posts, then longpress on the page count and hit "last post", I'm taken to the last page of the whole thread, not the last page of that user's posts.

In contrast, the "first post" option works fine; takes me to the first page of the user's posts.

Fair enough! +1 on the list for this one.

MarcusSA posted:

I think instead of a pull to refresh we should have to swipe a pattern to refresh.

Maybe like a pentagram or something.

Just throwing that out there.

PS Leave it alone for gods sake it works perfectly now.

I've actually always thought it'd be fun to make a bunch of silly gesture recognizers for things like "counter-clockwise spiral". Like the miracle casting "shortcuts" from Black & White.

Warbird posted:

The gesture based page switching someone mentioned was interesting. I don’t know many apps that support it though.

Bug talk: I occasionally get caught in “preview loops” where I can’t advance to post and keep getting put into preview. Workaround is to cancel out and hit the make post button, which brings you to the submit post page with your looped post. It’s a minor annoyance at worst, so no hurry.

This is one of those bugs that I've had happen a couple times to me, but can't manage to reproduce it when I want to actually fix it. I've had "rework how posting/previewing/image uploading works" on my todo list for awhile now (I made some bad choices when supporting state restoration, among other things), so I'm hoping I can either reproduce it or happen to fix it while I'm in there mucking about. But I have no idea when that'll happen. I can +1 it on the list though!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Last I checked when you long press the title of a video it pops up “open in awful”, “open in safari” (or maybe open in youtube, same result) and “cancel”, but an instant later another action sheet pops up over the first one. it’s cool.

I’ve gotten decent at pressing it just long enough for the first one to come up but if you get both you can just dismiss the top one

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pokeyman posted:

Delays really frustrate me, so I'm not a huge fan of this, though I appreciate the idea!

I guess what I'm thinking is, is there really a use case where a delay is not helpful? Do you ever find yourself power-scrolling down a page, reaching the bottom, and wanting to immediately pull the next page as part of the same gesture (or rapid sequence of autopilot gestures), as opposed to taking half a second to look at the last post in the page or let the scroll movement settle before wanting to intentionally pull?

Any mechanism that breaks up that gesture/scroll sequence, or disables pulling in the situation where that's what you're doing, would solve the problem IMO. Any way to differentiate that you're in the process of actively scrolling, and not allow pulling to work during that time. A delay would do that, but something else might too.

Or implement the Chrome-like behavior, either way.

I know this is not that easy to nail down "correctness", and thank you for making the game attempt.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Once we add a delay we can get some new faces in this thread humbly requesting we remove the delay.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What if the pull to page threshold was derived from the largest prime inside of (hour of day * date ^ sqrt(current year)) and was then offset by the number of OutCoins you had in your inventory** and your current xp level***

**OutCoins replenish at a rate of 3 page swipes per day but can be acquired via in-app purchases

***xp is accumulated at 2x on weekends and can be boosted with gold bars. Gold bars can be purchased with OutCoins

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Leave it as is please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

Leave it as is please

no