Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What I do is get acid barreling from my oil factory, and use bots to haul those acid barrels to my nuclear refinery area. All my trains are loco + 2 cargo wagons, so my nuclear train is one cargo and one fluid wagon. I unbarrel the acid and put it into the fluid wagon, but use circuit conditions to stop when it hits 5000 acid. Then my condition to leave the station is 0 uranium ore and acid is greater than or equal to 5000. Then at my uranium mine I pump everything into the miners, and set a condition of "cargo wagon is full of uranium" or "fluid wagon is empty." It cycles a couple of times because I play RSO and the uranium fields can hold 10k or 15k acid, but eventually it spends most of its time just waiting. When I drain a uranium patch I've got plenty of capacity to pump the leftover acid back into the wagon so I can set it to the next uranium mine (I've never needed more than one uranium mine at once).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just have a dedicated acid train that's sent to mines once in a while

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's easy to get that IDEA but then knowing when to use them is the hard part (the puzzle)
Maybe next session I'll get far enough to start playing around and asking questions. I'm at the point where I made blue science and exhausted the tech options but now yellow is going to be a headache, completely impossible to do with my belt strats. Have to actually use the math machines.

Put chain signals leading in to places where you don't want trains to get stuck. Put normal signals at the exits to these spots.

So all the entrances to an interchange or what ever are chain signals. All the exits to the interchange are normal signals.

Then maybe just watch the signals at the interchange as trains drive through to get an intuition.

I hope I got that right.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Hadn't occurred to me to just load some barrels on the ore train. Frankly, I forgot barrels even exist. I like that idea, thanks!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Now that I think about it barreling acid makes alot of sense from an efficiency standpoint. You can figure out how much acid you need per wagonload's worth of ore, minus the space in the wagon for the full barrels out & again for the empty barrels back, lock the wagon's inventory to prevent overstocking one item, and you have a copyable wagon blueprint you can scale up. Only problem is it doesn't account for increased mining productivity from techs, and that nobody ever needs enough uranium to make it worthwhile to put this much effort into optimising it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

All my trains are loco

I’m on my phone and I couldn’t post a screenshot for some reason, but this is exactly where awful.app wrapped your post

Content: I’m on my final push to finally launch a rocket. I’m just finally getting into carting ore in via rail. I should also probably start nuclear power as well.

Once I launch a rocket, I’ll start filling in the fish-shaped lake where I stupidly built my base nearby... and play with artillery :black101:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Nevets posted:

Now that I think about it barreling acid makes alot of sense from an efficiency standpoint. You can figure out how much acid you need per wagonload's worth of ore, minus the space in the wagon for the full barrels out & again for the empty barrels back, lock the wagon's inventory to prevent overstocking one item, and you have a copyable wagon blueprint you can scale up. Only problem is it doesn't account for increased mining productivity from techs, and that nobody ever needs enough uranium to make it worthwhile to put this much effort into optimising it.

One stack of barrels is one stack of ore (ignoring prod), so you'd be wasting half your space on empty barrels. A tanker is both more room efficient and makes more sense.

Misread the wiki, ignore me. But a separate tanker still makes more sense to me

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 9, 2018

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A tanker is also (I think) a slightly more novel problem to solve so it's more fun for me.

Any itch I have for setting up train conditions to move a product and its byproduct back and forth is scratched by my train that moves nuclear fuel rods to my reactor base.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No it's one stack of barrels per 10 stacks of Uranium ore discounting productivity. It's a barrel per stack, and the stack is 10 barrels.

Also barelled fluid can be moved by robots. Also they are an item so you don't need to dedicate a part of your loading or unloading station to a single purpose.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
A stack of barrels is 500 fluid, which mines 1:1 with U ore. A stack of U is 50, so for each two stacks of barrels (reserving a slot for 'fulls' and for 'emptys') you get ten stacks of ore.

A cargo wagon has 40 slots, so that's 4 fulls, 4 empties, and 32 ores, so acid eventually backs up in the mines until it fills, at which point the system jams (barrels cannot be emptied). Or 3 fulls, 3 empties, 30 ore and 4 wasted slots per wagon.

OR, use a fluid wagon and pump out however much acid you need (usually just what the mines + connecting pipes hold, no need for tanks) and fill however much is empty, getting 40 stacks of ore. (2000 ore)

OR, centrifuge on site, with a 10:1 compression and a new stack size of 100, with one* extra reserved slot for U235, for a capacity of 39,000* ore equivalent (fluid cars hold 25k acid, cargo cars (full, not double-reserved) carry 20k).

*Edit: back-of-the-envelope math says 40,000 ore averages ~280 U235, so reserve 3 slots :science:? Nope I got poo poo math nevermind

Vic posted:

No it's one stack of barrels per 10 stacks of Uranium ore discounting productivity. It's a barrel per stack, and the stack is 10 barrels.

Also barelled fluid can be moved by robots. Also they are an item so you don't need to dedicate a part of your loading or unloading station to a single purpose.

So instead of "a pump" on car 2, you need "reserved slots so product doesn't block barrels on every shared car, assemblers set to barrel and unbarrel, and error checking so that uneven barrel/unbarrel processes don't jam the entire system"

I can forgive bringing barrels to the trainyard via bot, but fluid cars are a magnitude more effective if they have to go train-distances.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 9, 2018

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chev posted:

I just have a dedicated acid train that's sent to mines once in a while

Factorio: I just have a dedicated acid train.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I built a big ol' chemical disposal/storage site before I learned that I actually had a use for oil products.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The slots aren't "wasted", they're extra room that gets gradually filled with ore as you get mining productivity. Compared with the tanker car, where you're wasting 40 slots because you can never put ore in it.

Also if you reserve all the ore slots in the train car you don't need to waste slots on reserving both barrel types separately - just put them at the end, and they'll be filled with empty barrels before the ore inserters have finished filling the ore slots.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'll just post my setup for reference:

Loading station / Unloading station

I have a single disconnected roboport at the mining site with 5/5 bots that do any repairs and haul barrels here.

(the single blue belt in the last picture is there for fitness purposes :haw:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm just getting to oil again myself. I want to kind of bootstrap myself up to advanced processing ASAP still, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so i just learned you can zoom in on the map and see anything in radar range and place blueprints

i never understood the point of construction bots after about 200 on your character, until now, playin since 0.13 :doh:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Well, to be fair, the radar zoom thing was only added pretty recently, I wanna say the last big release?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm just getting to oil again myself. I want to kind of bootstrap myself up to advanced processing ASAP still, right?

Yeah that much hasn't changed - put a tank or two each down for light/heavy oil (or make some solid fuel and/or flamethrower ammo and stockpile it) and advanced oil processing should be your first blue science research.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Unreal_One posted:

Well, to be fair, the radar zoom thing was only added pretty recently, I wanna say the last big release?

It was added in 0.15.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good to know I didn't actually miss it, then.

I've exhausted my up-to-blue science research options and need to automate Military as my next goal--easy enough. Sort of built myself into a corner because of a loving lake, though, and my own poor planning, so I'm debating how to fix it. Basically my bus ran up against the lake and on the other side I started building Solar City before I realized I was blocking myself for when I landfilled.

I could fix it a bunch of ways, but since two hours have disappeared (:psyduck:) and I need a break, I put it to you lot

- Switch direction of bus from left to right, initially using splitters, and build that direction
- Landfill through lake, deke necessary parts of Solar City
- Turn bus north instead
- Abandon old base, start anew now that I have the power of roboports; just come back for supplies until the whole place rusts from sheer entropy (e: ngl, having a rusting abandoned base in the middle of my map is somehow appealing)

Thoughts?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 10, 2018

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
You have the power of roboports and blueprints. Grab the sections of Solar City that would interfere in a blueprint. Place them down out of the way. Mark the sections that are in the way for deconstruction.

Landfill and go straight through the now clear gap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh yeah, didn't occur to me to just rebuild Solar City out of the way (to the north of the fluid pipes, maybe? above where those other solar plots are) and deke the old one using blueprints. I kinda forget how powerful that is.

First I need to actually set up Landfill production though, never got around to that :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Spend the belts and landfill to put a 90 degree bend in the bus. Now you have he second half running North and plenty of room. It’s not ~aesthetic~ but you lose nothing value wise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ciaphas posted:

Good to know I didn't actually miss it, then.

I've exhausted my up-to-blue science research options and need to automate Military as my next goal--easy enough. Sort of built myself into a corner because of a loving lake, though, and my own poor planning, so I'm debating how to fix it. Basically my bus ran up against the lake and on the other side I started building Solar City before I realized I was blocking myself for when I landfilled.

I could fix it a bunch of ways, but since two hours have disappeared (:psyduck:) and I need a break, I put it to you lot

- Switch direction of bus from left to right, initially using splitters, and build that direction
- Landfill through lake, deke necessary parts of Solar City
- Turn bus north instead
- Abandon old base, start anew now that I have the power of roboports; just come back for supplies until the whole place rusts from sheer entropy (e: ngl, having a rusting abandoned base in the middle of my map is somehow appealing)

Thoughts?

Go right. Most compact and easiest to implement. If you build a new base now you'll discover you need to build a new one again later probably.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Start anew, install the honk mod and switch to trains. :colbert:

Rebuilding solar city elsewhere may give you more options and should be pretty straightforward with bots.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
So who's in charge of the thread title? Halloween was over a month ago.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Festorio: the toy factory will expand to meet the needs of the expanding toy factory

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I just had this great idea for a christmas mod where you make presents to launch Santa's sleigh at the end. But then I imagined biters as bad children and their pulsating spawners and :psyduck:

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Vic posted:

I just had this great idea for a christmas mod where you make presents to launch Santa's sleigh at the end. But then I imagined biters as bad children and their pulsating spawners and :psyduck:

Nono, biters just become humbugs.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If a mining drill runs out of uranium underneath, does the acid it stored up flow back out of it again? Or does it not store any to begin with, like an assembly machine?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Chobayt posted:

The pollution is xmas cheer then. Brilliant

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

If a mining drill runs out of uranium underneath, does the acid it stored up flow back out of it again? Or does it not store any to begin with, like an assembly machine?
the leftover acid is treated like any other input, and is kept inside the machine. the acid is then lost forever when you remove it. rip

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

crime weed posted:

the leftover acid is treated like any other input, and is kept inside the machine. the acid is then lost forever when you remove it. rip

Acid will continue to flow through the machine. You can even pump (most) of it out. And if there's room in adjacent miners/pipes, the acid will flow out into them when you remove it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Solumin posted:

Festorio: the toy factory will expand to meet the needs of the expanding toy factory

The new title is great.

Chobayt posted:

Vic posted:

The pollution is xmas cheer then. Brilliant

A+.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Roflex posted:

Acid will continue to flow through the machine. You can even pump (most) of it out. And if there's room in adjacent miners/pipes, the acid will flow out into them when you remove it.

Yeah, the miner simply acts like another section of pipe; I think the total amount stored in the miner is equivalent to a pipe section, so it's pretty tiny. If you leave all your miners going and simply reverse your pumps, you should get all of it out. Or you lose like, ~300 acid units which is inconsequential.

Personally I always used a cargo and tanker car, with a pump direct to a tank which fed the system and a simple circuit condition to turn the pump off if over 5k in the tank or something low. You don't need a lot of acid even for huge patches of Uranium.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Roflex posted:

Yeah it continues to act as a pipe for acid to flow through, and will balance out the fluid same as everywhere else. And as with all fluids, if you remove a fluid containing object and there's room in the adjacent pipes, the fluid will flow there. So if you use a pump to pump most of the acid out of a miner system you can remove a miner (and put pipes in its place if it's in the middle) or you can start removing from the end of your pipe and everything can end up in your tanker.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Woah wait what, I thought removing a pipe full of fluid also deleted the fluid! Does that also work with storage containers?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually I think it just converts all of it to pollution.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If there is space in the network the fluid will teleport there. If there isn't a connection to available space then it just poofs out of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It should leave a shiny stain on the ground if it's oil and it should char the ground if it's acid :colbert: