Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Having a full sentence or two of text as the "title" looks absurd in English but maybe it doesn't read so badly in Japanese? I dunno. It's a strange trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It is definitely easier to communicate more with less characters in Japanese, but these titles are usually still taking up like half of the book cover space because they're so long.

I think it's just a trend and LN fans probably like the crazy long and detailed titles because they just keep escalating. Also the title length doesn't ultimately matter much since it will inevitably get abbreviated down to 4 characters.

I think the one about the super powerful mom is still my favorite though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's just a fad that book titles go through sometimes

These are two real english language novels

The Spectres, Or, Lord Oswald And Lady Rosa, Including An Account Of The Marchioness Of Cevetti Who Was Basely Consigned To A Dungeon Beneath Her Castle By Her Eldest Son, Whose Cruel Avarice Plunged Him Into The Commission Of The Worst Of Crimes, That Stains The Annals Of The Human Race

Argal; Or The Silver Devil, Being The Adventures Of An Evil Spirit, Comprising A Series Of Interesting Anecdotes, With Which The Demon Became Acquainted, During His Confinement In The Metalline Substance To Which He Was Condemned. Related By Himself.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The first edition of Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped had the title as Kidnapped: Being Memoirs of the Adventures of David Balfour in the Year 1751: How he was Kidnapped and Cast away; his Sufferings in a Desert Isle; his Journey in the Wild Highlands; his acquaintance with Alan Breck Stewart and other notorious Highland Jacobites; with all that he Suffered at the hands of his Uncle, Ebenezer Balfour of Shaws, falsely so-called: Written by Himself and now set forth by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

LibrarianCroaker posted:

there are too many reviews that go "this is like Goblin Slayer, but" for me to try and read this without assurance that there's no rape-genocide bullshit

I've only started on it but the main reason I can see for this happening is that one chapter starts off almost exactly like Goblin Slayer with the newbies going off to hunt goblins before getting destroyed, except without the rape and lovely stuff. I don't know if it was originally like that or something on the translator's part.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm pretty sure i was the only person here who was reading it, but avalon of five elements ended. or rather, the author cancelled it because of ill health. it had been dragging and increasingly dull for quite some time, but it's still too bad.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gourmet of Another World is pretty dope. It's one of the few web novels that I found interesting enough to stick with past the 100 chapter mark. I normally don't like pure wuxia settings but there's something inherently hilarious about a MC who straight dosen't give a gently caress about all the power level flexing. It almost reminds me of one punch man in that way.

It also has one of best characters in all of fiction, lord blacky the fat black dog who has never even come closed to being matched in the 400+ chapters I've read

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 7, 2018

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Maybe the webnovel writers got their literal title ideas from JAV titles because holy poo poo that twitter has titles I am like WTF

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I prefer literal titles more than the 1-2 word titles of most english books.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can someone help me recall some minor plot details from Honzuki ~ch 217 or so; I'm not good enough at reading that I can just scan backwards to find the answer What is Maine's progress on the printing press at this point? The woodworking guy Ingo is asking her for improvements on the existing printing press, but last I recall, she had only just demonstrated the concept of movable type the last time she'd had a meeting. And also, wasn't it Johann's job to build it? In fact she tells him to coordinate with Johann. What are the wood guys for?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I prefer literal titles more than the 1-2 word titles of most english books.
Thinking of stupidly long LN titles for English books would be a fun thread idea. I'm too lazy to participate, but I'd read it.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

'The Other World Inside The Wardrobe: -Fighting The Evil Witch With The Aid Of A Holy Lion-'

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
'My Uncle's Magic Ring Is Actually The Demon King's Secret Weakness: ~Let's All Destroy It~'

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Intergalactic Entrepreneurs Destroyed my Home and now I'm Forced to Travel with a Loony

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A Bunch of Noblemen Fight, gently caress, and Scheme While not Preparing for a Wintery Zombie Apocalypse.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Can someone help me recall some minor plot details from Honzuki ~ch 217 or so; I'm not good enough at reading that I can just scan backwards to find the answer What is Maine's progress on the printing press at this point? The woodworking guy Ingo is asking her for improvements on the existing printing press, but last I recall, she had only just demonstrated the concept of movable type the last time she'd had a meeting. And also, wasn't it Johann's job to build it? In fact she tells him to coordinate with Johann. What are the wood guys for?

It's been a while since I read it but IIRC she goes through multiple iterations of printing technology before she arrives at a true Gutenburg-level machine. I think it was something along the lines of using wax or wood blocks to make prints? The sort of thing that worked, but was time consuming to prepare and would be worn down with use, unlike metal type.

But those methods use the same "press" part as in an actual printing press, a refurbished wine press thing to evenly distribute pressure across the whole page. That's a big wooden contraption and one of the main thing she needed woodworkers for.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Bakanogami posted:

Honzuki stuff But those methods use the same "press" part as in an actual printing press, a refurbished wine press thing to evenly distribute pressure across the whole page. That's a big wooden contraption and one of the main thing she needed woodworkers for.

This must be it; the way it was phrased in the chapter made me think there was an existing movable type printing press and all that was left was to make gradual improvements, but it must be referring to the woodblock stuff she was doing earlier. Didn't help that one sentence in there threw me off because she was talking about "Gutenberg's printing press" and darkgray had to point out to me that it referred to actual Johannes Gutenberg's printing press, and not her organization called Gutenberg.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1072463641771982848

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, a truly universal experience

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's time for more valhalla saga, bitches. pro-gamer einherjar tae ho becomes the master of asgard (via a plan set up by odin on this random guy, in case of ?????), allowing him to defeat ares in a climactic battle at the gates of tartarus. however, being the new all-father isn't enough to handle echidna and her subterranean monster city, so he digs deep and taps into true ultimate power: the background lore from a mmo he played. also, girl niddhogg, the matryoshka doll/dragon of the apocalypse finds a kindred spirit in the hydra, who is freed from the mountain heracles dumped on her. yes, her. the hydra is also a girl, and she also takes human form.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's time for more valhalla saga, bitches. pro-gamer einherjar tae ho becomes the master of asgard (via a plan set up by odin on this random guy, in case of ?????), allowing him to defeat ares in a climactic battle at the gates of tartarus. however, being the new all-father isn't enough to handle echidna and her subterranean monster city, so he digs deep and taps into true ultimate power: the background lore from a mmo he played. also, girl niddhogg, the matryoshka doll/dragon of the apocalypse finds a kindred spirit in the hydra, who is freed from the mountain heracles dumped on her. yes, her. the hydra is also a girl, and she also takes human form.

These book titles are getting out of hand.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

i'm sold

Does hydra girl have multiple heads or is the author a coward?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

i'm sold

Does hydra girl have multiple heads or is the author a coward?

one head in human form, sadly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Maybe she only starts with one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what kind of heads? :v

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Anyone else reading The Great Storyteller on Qidan? It's surprisingly good. Basic concept is that a high school student writes a great novel, gets famous, his life turns to poo poo, he dies homeless and alone, and gets reincarnated back to just after his novel was published. So far, at least, it's basically just him making friends, helping people, and trying not to screw up his life again. Lots of hanging out with people who love literature and talking about books, sort of like a Korean version of the Dead Poets Society.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i assumed from the title that it was another plagiarism wn. there are an awful lot of those.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i haven't bothered to read any of those, but the description of this one cracks me the heck up: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/im-really-a-great-director/

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
The whole "plagiarism" genre is a bit baffling to me. I'm pretty sure that timing is at least as important, maybe more important than, quality when it comes to popular art. Like if you lived in a world where all the popular movies and songs and stuff were completely different from Earth's - I don't think faithfully recreating Ironman or Inception is going to lead to instant fame and fortune. It's not like there's ever a shortage of "good" things being made - but it takes a special kind of lightning in a bottle to turn something "good" into something "popular".

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
In Forge of Destiny sequel news, Ling Qi trips balls and rides the mighty moon worm in a dream only uh oh it’s the Revenge aspect and instead of a nice moon rave she eats a village of peasants and gets a hell of a hangover

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cultivation.txt

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

i assumed from the title that it was another plagiarism wn. there are an awful lot of those.

It's bad enough when it's a side thing that occurs in a story look I made INSERT JAPANESE DISH in fantasy world and everyone instantly loved it.

At least it's normally bearable when it's I use my knowledge of technology to enlighten the world even if 99/100 the author has 0 understanding of what it would take to make said technology in that society.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah, plagiarism novels are the worst. I think my biggest objection is that they don't make any attempt to show the culture of the other world. Like, sure, you've gotten famous for performing Yesterday in a world that never knew the Beatles, but there's never any description of the hundreds of bands that got famous instead of the Beatles.

That being said, Great Storyteller is like the antithesis of a plagiarism novel. Dude's written one famous book, which he actively hates. He spends a lot of effort to avoid fame, and puts in most of his time in learning how to write something that wasn't his one famous book. It's cool.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It's bad enough when it's a side thing that occurs in a story look I made INSERT JAPANESE DISH in fantasy world and everyone instantly loved it.

At least it's normally bearable when it's I use my knowledge of technology to enlighten the world even if 99/100 the author has 0 understanding of what it would take to make said technology in that society.

But those and the different kinds of paper making were the best part of Ascendance of a Bookworm. That stuff happens way less in chapter 2 and the plot lines that took its place are way worse.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LLSix posted:

But those and the different kinds of paper making were the best part of Ascendance of a Bookworm. That stuff happens way less in chapter 2 and the plot lines that took its place are way worse.

The food making stuff sucks though. Like the fact that the peasants are ignoring a perfectly viable food source. Even if it doesn't taste very good, somebody starving is going to eat it, and presumably try and find a way to make it more palatable.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, one of my least-favorite things about Bookworm (aside from the pacing) is that some of the inventions that Maïne throws out are so obvious to the reader that it’s hard to believe that nobody’s thought of it before. Like seriously, the civilization has beer, but they don’t culture yeast for bread? How has nobody thought about writing in wax, which was something the ancient Romans did? Why hasn’t anyone tried eating the chicken feed that can apparently be easily processed into pancakes?

I can buy inventing paper, the printing press, and the little luxury things like crocheted flowers and decent clothes hangers, since those are all things that would require someone actually inventing and popularizing, but things like steaming food instead of boiling it are so obvious to the readers that it’s almost frustrating to see her always succeed at introducing new things.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

blastron posted:

Yeah, one of my least-favorite things about Bookworm (aside from the pacing) is that some of the inventions that Maïne throws out are so obvious to the reader that it’s hard to believe that nobody’s thought of it before. Like seriously, the civilization has beer, but they don’t culture yeast for bread? How has nobody thought about writing in wax, which was something the ancient Romans did? Why hasn’t anyone tried eating the chicken feed that can apparently be easily processed into pancakes?

I can buy inventing paper, the printing press, and the little luxury things like crocheted flowers and decent clothes hangers, since those are all things that would require someone actually inventing and popularizing, but things like steaming food instead of boiling it are so obvious to the readers that it’s almost frustrating to see her always succeed at introducing new things.

Steaming food seems non-obvious to me since I never do it, but Wikipedia thinks it was invented about 5,000 years ago so yeah, steaming food could have been a thing. A slightly deeper look at Wikipedia makes virtually no mention of steaming food from Western cultures aside from puddings and as far as I know it wasn't a way pre-Roman Greeks prepared food at all. Since Bookworm takes place in a vaguely western culture, are there any examples of non-modern Western recipes that called for steaming?

I agree about most of the other stuff though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The use of ovens was far more common in European cuisines. Cooking that used water was more common in Asian cuisines. Obviously the history is far more complex than just wheat vs rice, having to do with availability of fuel and a fair lot of cultural inertia, among many many other things.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's a bit in Nobunaga No Chef where he blows some lord and his chef's mind with the way he cooks. According to the manga, at the time the tenets of Japanese cuisine held that there were only three ways of cooking, roasting, boiling and steaming. So of course he pan frys, bakes au gratin, and prepares sashimi. Knowledge of this hidebound attitude might be making its way in to their stories, or they could just be poo poo writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

Steaming food seems non-obvious to me since I never do it, but Wikipedia thinks it was invented about 5,000 years ago so yeah, steaming food could have been a thing. A slightly deeper look at Wikipedia makes virtually no mention of steaming food from Western cultures aside from puddings and as far as I know it wasn't a way pre-Roman Greeks prepared food at all. Since Bookworm takes place in a vaguely western culture, are there any examples of non-modern Western recipes that called for steaming?

I agree about most of the other stuff though.

Wikipedia mentions that the second earliest example of steam cooking is found in Italy during the Bronze Age; did you miss the history section?