Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Pay workers fairly; treat customers well and protect their privacy; produce quality products; minimize their environmental impact; give back to the communities they operate in; commit to ethical and diverse leadership; and create abundant job opportunities.

Hit around the median on HR pay distribution charts; don't obliviously break the law or at least have good PR teams and hide it well and get user consent they barely know about; produce products; buy carbon credits; donate to the united way their executives or executive childrens sit on the board for and receive a generous compensation for; have a woman or (south) asian in what is or could be considered an executive position; sinecures for top 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Google+ is now being shut down 4 months earlier than the previously announced date, and all the APIs are now going to be shut down in 90 days.

https://www.blog.google/technology/safety-security/expediting-changes-google-plus/

"Google: even our shutdown processes get shutdown"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gregotto/status/1072185759220858880?s=20

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe this would be less of an issue if they hadn't been so eager to get everyone signed up on google+ in the first place? It's nice that they're now as excited about shutting it down as they were about pushing it before, though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i just noticed my company's new product feature jira board has the tesla logo as its icon and the slack for it is called "tesla" :nallears:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i just noticed my company's new product feature jira board has the tesla logo as its icon and the slack for it is called "tesla" :nallears:
Why imitate the Toyota production system by using words like "kanban" when you can imitate the Tesla production system and churn out buggy junk to dumb people with lots of money?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i mean you can't argue with the tesla method if you're being paid in stock that vests in the very near future i guess

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hey remember when the sec said tesla was a shell game and couldnt shitcan musk from ceo because it'd be too unfair for the investors

lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

forbes released their "just 100" list which is listing companies that

you'll be shocked to discover that this includes several of the tech collusion companies, oil companies, banks, insurance companies, and defense contractors

ms is #1 so i assume shagger wrote it

https://www.forbes.com/just-companies/#483ce4a52bf0

so accidentally kicking off a genocide and knowingly nothing to do stop your platform from contributing is apparently a bad thing i take it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

so accidentally kicking off a genocide and knowingly nothing to do stop your platform from contributing is apparently a bad thing i take it

are you referring to the #35 most just company in america, facebook?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

has microsoft created a genocide?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like that "produce quality products" and "create abundant job opportunities" are criteria, gee I wonder how those somehow weaseled their way into the american idea of what "ethics" is :allears:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i like that "produce quality products" and "create abundant job opportunities" are criteria, gee I wonder how those somehow weaseled their way into the american idea of what "ethics" is :allears:
Well if you start thinking that (for example) ethics should be about not destroying the environment, then growth isn't necessary an inherently good thing which is crazy talk.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

won this at bar trivia last night:

dare I read it

lol i feel like there must be a formula behind pumping out subtitles like that. like there's so many fuckin' airport books with that kind of second title going on.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i feel like there must be a formula behind pumping out subtitles like that. like there's so many fuckin' airport books with that kind of second title going on.

HYPER GLIDE

How One Man's Need for Anal Lubrication Led to the Wetness Revolution and the End of the Age of Vaseline

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

HYPER GLIDE

How One Man's Need for Anal Lubrication Led to the Wetness Revolution and the End of the Age of Vaseline

this is the dawning of the age of a slippery rear end

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

HYPER GLIDE

Has Chuck Tingle branched out to nonfiction?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The_Franz posted:

yeah, walmart, once a nowheresville usa staple, is actually packing up and leaving a lot of the small towns they destroyed the local businesses in 20 years ago because the populace is becoming too poor even for them, and when that happens the dollar store is usually the only thing left.

rofl nice

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
We still have our small size Walmart in my city; it was like a time warp of going to the one near my grandparents village when I was like 10

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mystes posted:

Maybe this would be less of an issue if they hadn't been so eager to get everyone signed up on google+ in the first place? It's nice that they're now as excited about shutting it down as they were about pushing it before, though.

is this the time for me to complain about having to use my real name on youtube again?

yes. yes it is.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
except i guess now i could revert without affecting... google+? gmail?

i'm not sure why i haven't reverted before.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I reverted that years ago

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

oh poo poo you can undo that?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Munkeymon posted:

oh poo poo you can undo that?

no. they know who you are. forever

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wheany posted:

is this the time for me to complain about having to use my real name on youtube again?

yes. yes it is.

I deleted my YouTube account specifically because I didn’t want my real name linked to my account name and I’m still pissed off about it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
username post heh

mystes
May 31, 2006

I assume it's now possible to comment on youtube without using your real name again but I'm afraid to even try.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wait i don't have to use my real name on youtube :confused:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why would you give google your real name in the first place

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
given the choice between "enter a name" or "not login to youtube" you don't login to youtube

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

given the choice between "enter a name" or "not login to youtube" you don't login to youtube

shaggar comes correct

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Shaggar posted:

but then how are you supposed to use features like subscriptions that have been deemphasized and don't work half the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uber: no loving poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shaggar posted:

If I don't log into youtube, how will I tell my favorite swedish funnyman how much I hate minorities???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mystes posted:

I assume it's now possible to comment on youtube without using your real name again but I'm afraid to even try.

i changed it so long ago that i no longer remember what i did, but you can see what name youre logged in as in the top right corner

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

but then how are you supposed to use features like subscriptions that have been deemphasized and don't work half the time

agreed

the way youtub dismisses old non professional channels but continues to emphasize the wretched makes it so my only interest is occasional clicking

and maybe two other things but it's not like they banned my goku acct

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

:confused: when have subscriptions ever not worked? it's literally all i use, i rarely ever just go browsing youtube at random because there's so much dumb poo poo to wade through, i just subscribe to the people i like and use the subscriptions page to see when they post new stuff and that's always worked fine...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Another day another google product shut down.

https://support.google.com/fusiontables/answer/9185417

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

:confused: when have subscriptions ever not worked? it's literally all i use, i rarely ever just go browsing youtube at random because there's so much dumb poo poo to wade through, i just subscribe to the people i like and use the subscriptions page to see when they post new stuff and that's always worked fine...

they're always jacked up for the new content alerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they're always jacked up for the new content alerts

is that what happens if you hit that bell? i've never hit it because i'm like "wait i have subscriptions that show me new videos when they're posted why do i need another mechanism for that"