Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Bibendum's post was so prophetic and perfect.

Bibendum posted:

I started writing up a big post but I don't think it will be constructive. 
Basically the jist is this: You've done a really bad thing and are making some choices that will have serious consequences. I suggest stopping here for a bit and thinking things over. Also ask lots of questions and listen to what alot of people are about to say here.

Only two things were requested; OP did neither.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

I read it. Blew my mind. Like how do you not question how i-beams work before destroying them.

If I don’t understand it, it must be simple! :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

Yes, which i'm sure is not to code, but its the only way I can accomplish what I'm trying to do.

He's so close to understanding, but yet so far

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Variable 5 posted:

If I don’t understand it, it must be simple! :v:
More like "I think I understand it, so I must understand it, because I can never be wrong. Now, let me tell you all about how :females: have too much power in the homebuying process..."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464
Link for those who want to read it.
Edit: Holy poo poo that got out of hand by the end.
I'm quoting this for the new page because this is my favorite thread from this whole forum.

edit: and this, the most important image:

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 10, 2018

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I followed that thread when it was ongoing, and I've never messed with a house with engineered I-beams before, so I had no idea what I was staring at when I saw that picture. However, I knew I wasn't staring at something that looked right. That thread taught me to stop and don't gently caress with poo poo if I don't know what I'm looking at and it's paid off time and again since.

edit: I re-read this and realize that this should be loving obvious not to mess with anything if I know nothing about it. The thing is that I had to work with my father who never really instilled that lesson in me. He would rush into things blindly, bullshit his way through and do poo poo all wrong or just plain harder than necessary, and claim victory in the end. In the last couple years, I've had to deprogram myself from that nonsense, learn from more competent people, and also teach myself how to do things right. That thread helped me learn a basic lesson that I wish I would've gotten long ago.

aperion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 10, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

joats posted:

I read it. Blew my mind. Like how do you not question how i-beams work before destroying them.

loving i-beams. How do they work?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

therobit posted:

Well it depends, sometimes it is solar energy from the yellow son released in the form of concentrated heat, other times the eye controls a tiny portal to an alternative dimension of kinetic light that leaks into our universe as a concussive beam. Other times it's just lasers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

By not being made into upside down T beams.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Look i-beams are just the original builder saving money by not using 2x6s so there can't be any harm in chopping off an inch from the top. I mean, they're so thin so they obviously can't be important.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh my God. Those OSB joists. I barely know anything about framing, but I know that's a massive gently caress up.

The most hosed up part is that the bathroom was really nice before he started.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ashcans posted:

Well it depends, sometimes it is solar energy from the yellow son released in the form of concentrated heat, other times the eye controls a tiny portal to an alternative dimension of kinetic light that leaks into our universe as a concussive beam. Other times it's just lasers.

No, no - "i"-beams, not "eye"-beams.. God, can't you people read?

edit: heh, yellow son.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464
Link for those who want to read it.
Edit: Holy poo poo that got out of hand by the end.

I took a trip down memory lane with this thread. The wife asked why I was giggling, so I explained it to her. I wish I had video of the look on her face when the phrase "cut off the top of the engineered beams" came out.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It's a little weird to see my early thread shitposting immortalized in the goldmine for that. I'm pretty sure someone also got banned in that thread, and not the OP.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Darchangel posted:

No, no - "i"-beams, not "eye"-beams.. God, can't you people read?

edit: heh, yellow son.

poo poo, i mean I-joist. Whatever basically uses the same shape to create a light structure to withstand forces. Lop off the top and that throws the compressive resistance out of wack.

Eye beams are things vampires shoot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder what the bathroom looks like now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It's a little weird to see my early thread shitposting immortalized in the goldmine for that. I'm pretty sure someone also got banned in that thread, and not the OP.

Yeah it was someone who went internet detective and (claimed to have) reported OP to local authorities for code violation

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GotLag posted:

Yeah it was someone who went internet detective and (claimed to have) reported OP to local authorities for code violation

It was me and yes I did. Sorry to kill your lulz, but that house was going to hurt someone in the next few years if nothing was done. That idiot was more concerned with arguing with strangers on the internet than fixing his death trap.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My mspaint groverhouse shops in that thread are my only goldmine contribution.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kid sinister posted:

It was me and yes I did. Sorry to kill your lulz, but that house was going to hurt someone in the next few years if nothing was done. That idiot was more concerned with arguing with strangers on the internet than fixing his death trap.

You did a good thing.

And it in no way interferes with our lulz.

Everyone wins!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

kid sinister posted:

Honestly I think OP was a bigger danger to others with his :biotruths: and :females: incel fantasising, but that didn't come out until after your ban

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

there wolf posted:

It's in the goldmine, and you really should go back and read the whole thing some time. By the time he gets to telling an actual women goon that her idea of what a woman wants in a bathroom is just wrong it's pure :discourse:

Not just one woman but both me and Tony Brontosaurus! It was incredible!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And me and a handful of other goonettes iirc!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its in the basement now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
"It doesn't matter if I hosed something up, I can buy my way out of it... Besides I learned something. "

What an incredibly privileged way to go through life. Turning your gently caress up into a point of pride because you have money.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/NauticalOptimisticGangesdolphin.webm

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

deoju posted:

"It doesn't matter if I hosed something up, I can buy my way out of it... Besides I learned something. "

What an incredibly privileged way to go through life. Turning your gently caress up into a point of pride because you have money.

Sales engineers (lol) in a nutshell

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sales engineers (lol) in a nutshell

Sales engineers are the worst. I'll get one of them creeping around my desk, and they want me to whip up something from a couple of squares drawn on a piece of scrap paper, with some hastily scrawled notes, and they want it two days from now.

They seem to think that my cad work is some kind of magic and I can just conjure something up in 5 minutes. So a few hours later when I've got *something* they're always amazed when things don't fit, and then it goes through another 12 iterations before it works for them. At this point we get an extension, and the deadline is pushed back a week, and I don't hear a damned thing from them until 48 hours before the deadline. Repeat until something is rushed out.

Last week I got one for a massive filter array, which wended up being 1/4 of a football field with 1,200 filters. It turned out that she added zeros to the number of filters per side, and it was only 120. Luckily, this was an easy enough one to fix, but for fucks sake, there's a huge difference between 30 X 40, and 12 x 10 which we ended up with.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

goddamn I didn't even remember my grover fanfic in that thread. If I ever track down my Twas the Grover Before Christmas I'll have the beginnings of a short story anthology.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deoju posted:

My favorite part was the it was very painfully clear to anyone reading that he hadn't learned a goddamned thing, then doubled down and refused to learn anything because people weren't jacking him off while pretty-please asking him to maybe not be exactly the worst stereotype of salespeople.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Didn't that thread spawn this thread? Are we eating our own tail?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Crappy Construction Tales dates back at least to Groverhaus, I'm pretty sure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Relentless posted:

An ouroboros, but it's crawling up its own rear end

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The worst part of that whole ordeal is that when he finally came back and started posting again people were asking him just what he did to fix the glaring mistake he made. I think lots of folks were genuinely curious about it and not even in a lovely way. Then he came back with this...

bEatmstrJ posted:

Call it semantics if you want, but I'd like to clear something up.

Many of you are asking how the "mistake" was "fixed", or some variant. The short version is: there was no mistake to fix.

Now I will preface by saying that I was very naive in my understanding of joist physics and the potential dangers I imparted upon my home by cutting them. Although much of the feedback from this forum was not constructive in the least, I won't deny that without the concern of many of you, my project might have had a much less safe ending for me or my future home buyers. So for that, I thank you.

That being said, unless my rudimentary understanding of science is completely flawed, if you want to put something in the ground, you have to dig a hole. As far as I know, there's no way around that. If, in the process of digging that hole I happen to break a gas line, well, that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. But alas, no gas lines were broken.

My design called for a sunken bathtub and that's what I got. Whether it was me or the contractor, those joists were getting cut regardless, so really I just saved them some time (naively).

You can all rest assured that my design was executed appropriately by a licensed contractor, who worked with a structural engineer to develop a solution to fit my goal. The city inspector then came by and signed off on it.

The joists are still just as cut as they were a year ago.

Might as well have just said nothing at all for all the good that answer gives.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crumps Brother posted:

The worst part of that whole ordeal is that when he finally came back and started posting again people were asking him just what he did to fix the glaring mistake he made. I think lots of folks were genuinely curious about it and not even in a lovely way. Then he came back with this...

Might as well have just said nothing at all for all the good that answer gives.

The most conspicuous absence of progress and result pics ever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Assuming what he said was actually the truth, I'm betting he was just too ashamed of the fact that people who actually know what they're doing took a look, reamed him out, and then when he insisted on proceeding, they required him to sister steel beams along his worthless cut joists.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dude was a "sales engineer" which was hilarious because given his attitude and simmering sexism a couple people actually said "dude is either in sales or engineering" and it turned out to be both.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Yawgmoth posted:

My favorite part was the it was very painfully clear to anyone reading that he hadn't learned a goddamned thing, then doubled down and refused to learn anything because people weren't jacking him off while pretty-please asking him to maybe not be exactly the worst stereotype of salespeople.
My favorite part is that it got linked from threads that had zero to do with houses or DIY.

The DIY so lovely that even CineD sat up and took notice.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Dude was a "sales engineer" which was hilarious because given his attitude and simmering sexism a couple people actually said "dude is either in sales or engineering" and it turned out to be both.

WTF is a sales engineer anyways? I always assumed it was something along the same lines as calling a janitor someone who works in the custodial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Relentless posted:

It spawned the interior design thread as I recall.