Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've been replaying the Mass Effect trilogy and remembering how much I love these games. While I know Andromeda is well below them, is there enough in it that it would be worth checking out on sale, or will it just make me sad?

Probably sad. There are moments of that old ME feeling, but they are fleeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've been replaying the Mass Effect trilogy and remembering how much I love these games. While I know Andromeda is well below them, is there enough in it that it would be worth checking out on sale, or will it just make me sad?
Depends on how much you're paying. I bought it for $10 and it was worth it. If you need something to play, then it might be a good choice.

The good: It's more Mass Effect which was nice. It's a long game and there is a lot to do. A lot of powers to choose from.

The bad: It's basically the same story as ME1. The animation is horrible. A lot of the side quests are the same exact thing over and over again. The characters aren't as good. You can tell the developers didn't care as much. It's also clear they aren't going to make a sequel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Hydronium posted:

I had a decent amount of fun with it but it's mostly in spite of itself. If you liked multiplayer though just replay 3, there's somehow still a community and it's significantly better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re literally describing how every person and rideable animal in every 3D game works. But suddenly, because SotC is immune to criticism, it makes someone an idiot to want a horse that works like that, and to try and use a horse like that?

So I'm supposed to play these games one way but then the other game has me do it another way? You expect me to constantly evaluate the outcome of my actions and then adjust my actions in order to get the outcome I desire? And I'm an idiot if I don't? All the other porcelain flushing devices I've ever used work how I expect, but I take one poo poo in a urinal and suddenly I'm the huge dumbass? That's how it works now? In 2018?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha I’m not saying that. I was responding to the part where people who try and use an analogue stick to control the direction of where something is going are apparently idiots?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't like the voice acting in DQXI

i'll cut their jacobs off, i will

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

Its always going to be subjective but it made me very sad. The single player was beyond dull, the characters largely annoying and/or bland (gently caress the gently caress off, Liam, come back when you've grown a personality) and they somehow hosed up the multiplayer after the gold of ME3 MP.

Avoid until it's literally free, then drop it as soon as you've placed your hands on a controller and the thought crosses your mind "does it get better?" because the answer is "no" but at least you've tried it for yourself for zero investment.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 11, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Once again I wish there was a Mass Effect Trilogy on the Ps4

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Samuringa posted:

You can probably safely bet on their being a "remastered" Mass Effect trilogy released sometime in the next 2-3 years. THey'll probably use that to drum up hype and roll it into announcing the "next" Mass Effect game that'll probably actually be pretty good.

Basically, they'll follow the Dragon Age 2> DA:I route of "we know DA2 sucked, so we'll actually try really hard on DA:I this time".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Akuma posted:

Its always going to be subjective but it made me very sad. The single player was beyond dull, the characters largely annoying and/or bland (gently caress the gently caress off, Liam, come back when you've grown a personality) and they somehow hosed up the multiplayer after the gold of ME3 MP.

Avoid until it's literally free, then drop it as soon as you've placed your hands on a controller and the thought crosses your mind "does it get better?" because the answer is "no" but at least you've tried it for yourself for zero investment.

I was going to say also, there's actually a very lengthy demo on the store that covers basically everything the game is all about, I never even finished it despite *LOVING* ME1/2/3. So I'd just download that first and try it out as IIRC it's one of those ones where you can make a save and then use it in the full game if you go for it.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You can probably safely bet on their being a "remastered" Mass Effect trilogy released sometime in the next 2-3 years. THey'll probably use that to drum up hype and roll it into announcing the "next" Mass Effect game that'll probably actually be pretty good.

Basically, they'll follow the Dragon Age 2> DA:I route of "we know DA2 sucked, so we'll actually try really hard on DA:I this time".

I don't think you can safely bet on Bioware existing in 2-3 years.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

Their next game Anthem has like no hype and it comes out in February.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know what Anthem is other than DestinyHalo in a jungle and I don't care

e: maybe they'll put battle royale in it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just bought my ps4 over black friday. Are there any great earlyish games that came out for the console that I should look at getting? Right now I own
Spiderman
God of war
Mlb show 18
Last of us
Detroit
Horizon
I'll probably get shadow of the colossus, bloodborne, and maybe beyond: 2 souls on the holiday sale. Did infamous second son age well?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Anthem...does not look good. And EA's whole model of "we want every game to be this incredible Live Service that brings players back every week and gets them to drop a dozen hours into our title and hopefully ~*spend spend spend*~" is self-cannibalizing. You can't have multiple games per genre that do that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you like story/adventure style games, Until Dawn was a really interesting early PS4 game and is probably cheapo by now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just bought my ps4 over black friday. Are there any great earlyish games that came out for the console that I should look at getting? Right now I own
Spiderman
God of war
Mlb show 18
Last of us
Detroit
Horizon
I'll probably get shadow of the colossus, bloodborne, and maybe beyond: 2 souls on the holiday sale. Did infamous second son age well?

Until Dawn is the most underrated PS4 exclusive, just a great schlocky horror game with branching narratives.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Until Dawn is truly great, especially if you like horror movies even a little bit. It's a good 'un

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If you liked Detroit you should love Until Dawn, especially if you like horror movies. It really nails the tone of them and is a great couples game, trying to make the decisions together.

Don't get Beyond:Two souls. It's total garbage and wasn't worth it when it was free on plus.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Spiderman
God of war
Mlb show 18
Last of us
Detroit
Horizon

Do you have a PC? There's a lot of excellent cross platform action games (mhw, nioh, nier, doom, ds3, yakuza 0,k1,k2)

For other PS4 exclusives: Tetris effect, uncharted 4 and LL, last guardian

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y’all have got most of the best ones covered so I’ll be the mainstream boy and say Red Dead Redemption 2

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, I have a PC so I'm mainly looking for exclusives. I've played mhw, nier, and yak 0 on pc already. Until Dawn definitely looks like something I'd like so gonna pick that up. Uncharted 4 is unfortunately not on sale but the spinoff is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's good because the Uncharted spin-off is as good or better than Uncharted 4 (tho not as long)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Wow the holiday sale site sucks. It shows 12 games at a time with over 1000 results and there’s no way I can see to search or filter.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did infamous second son age well?

A lot of people really like Second Son. I thought it was okay but nothing special. I can’t imagine playing it in a world where you already own Spider-Man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's good because the Uncharted spin-off is as good or better than Uncharted 4 (tho not as long)

The shorter length is a blessing.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Kinda want Hitman 2 and EDF 5 but I already have so many games to finish :negative:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you liked Infamous at all, play 2nd Son.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I’ve been curious of Monster Hunter for a bit. My only other Monster Hunter I played was 3 on the WiiU and I fell off it really hard and felt it was very inaccecable and had a bad barrier of entry with the lack of information that was given as someone who jumped in with no previous knowledge of the games. Is the PS4 Monster Hunter any different?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

So I’ve been curious of Monster Hunter for a bit. My only other Monster Hunter I played was 3 on the WiiU and I fell off it really hard and felt it was very inaccecable and had a bad barrier of entry with the lack of information that was given as someone who jumped in with no previous knowledge of the games. Is the PS4 Monster Hunter any different?

MHW is like a game from 2010 instead of a game from 1992. It’s an improvement but a lot of the QoL stuff it got praised for was things that other games have been doing for years. It’s not bad but if it’s not your cup of tea it’s not your cup of tea.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rad Valtar posted:

It is quite different from its predecessors, and by far the most accessible of the series. It still has issues with communicating some information, particularly the finer points of a lot of the individual weapon mechanics, but as a big fan of the series since Portable 2nd, MHWorld is one of my favourites. It's the reason I never ended up getting the MH game on Switch - it's just too hard to go back to the old style.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Kinda want Hitman 2 and EDF 5 but I already have so many games to finish :negative:

Do any of those games involve saving our mother earth from any alien attack?
From giant insects who have once again come back?

I think not.

EDF! EDF!

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 11, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Rad Valtar posted:

They did a pretty poo poo job of advertising this at all, but there's a free demo today through... the 17th or 18th? Story progress is capped, but you have full access to everything that's not story-gated, you can play with people who've purchased the game, and if you do end up buying it the save will transfer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zack Ater posted:

They did a pretty poo poo job of advertising this at all, but there's a free demo today through... the 17th or 18th? Story progress is capped, but you have full access to everything that's not story-gated, you can play with people who've purchased the game, and if you do end up buying it the save will transfer.

How did they not do this at release? How do they not do this for all the MH games? The demos that are just the hunts with none of the in-between parts are always terrible.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for the opinions on Andromeda. I didn't know there was a demo, and I'll definitely see how that goes before deciding if I want to pick it up, but from the sound of it I probably want to play through my existing backlog first.

Samuringa posted:

Yeah, especially for the DLC. The PS3 version is weird in that it has the DLC for ME1 (at least the good one), all but one of the DLC for ME2, and none for ME3, so I have to pick up all the rest individually. I don't imagine that there would be a huge graphical overhaul, but the PS3 version has some rough frame rates that could be improved, and there's just a lot of PS4 QOL improvements like rest mode and the better controller that I'm realizing how much I take for granted.

In an ideal world, the godawful ME1 inventory system would be fixed as well. The rest of the combat isn't great, but I had a fine enough time with it; that inventory system is just bad by any standard, though.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 11, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

And make another terrible game?
They already made Andromeda

Lord Hydronium posted:

Thanks for the opinions on Andromeda. I didn't know there was a demo, and I'll definitely see how that goes before deciding if I want to pick it up, but from the sound of it I probably want to play through my existing backlog first.

I paid less than €10 for Andromeda and I felt ripped off. It's one of the worst, laziest, buggiest "AAA" titles I've ever played. I loved the other ME games FWIW

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Big Bidness posted:

Why would this stop EA from releasing remasters + eventually a new Mass Effect game?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

My favorite thing about Andromeda was when my save bugged out and locked me on my ship with no way to progress so I had to reset through a half hour of combat.

My second favorite thing was hunting for the monster that fell through the world so I could finish a combat encounter.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Given the lukewarm reviews for Just Cause 4, I'm really tempted to pick up the season pass for Just Cause 3 as it's on sale right now and play that instead (I never finished the original game).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man I remember maxing out health and stamina on the PS2 but I don’t remember the additional items at all.

You also get boosts for each colossus you take down, so a few NG+ runs will have more or less the same effect.

Finished Iconoclasts, which is kind of rare for a PS+ game! Solid game, I actually really liked the writing too. Only complaint is it didn’t really have enough stuff to find. Sure there were collectible materials but the trinket system seems...barely necessary at best. Amazing work considering it was a mostly one-man job though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Chomposaur posted:

My favorite thing about Andromeda was when my save bugged out and locked me on my ship with no way to progress so I had to reset through a half hour of combat.

My second favorite thing was hunting for the monster that fell through the world so I could finish a combat encounter.

Did you experience these issues before or after it was heavily patched?