Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

dino. posted:

Unless you’ve got a very good spice purveyor, you won’t find Kashmiri saffron. It’s heart stoppingly expensive. If you can get Iranian saffron, it’s really good stuff. But whatever you do, don’t get saffron from the grocery store. Get it from either a specialty spice seller, or an ethnic market.

you mean to tell me the three threads in the sealed plastic in the glass jar that have been sitting there for months because nobody is ever going to buy them aren't top quality? :aaa:

content: Anyone have a good recipe for a quick weeknight curry? I had a chicken tikka masala recipe I liked but I felt like it had to simmer for ages to get a decent flavour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Get an instant pot, everything will take much less time to cook.

I'm serious, there's a couple Indian instant pot recipe books, too. Made chicken Tikka masala and aloo saag last week in it.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Get an instant pot, everything will take much less time to cook.

I'm serious, there's a couple Indian instant pot recipe books, too. Made chicken Tikka masala and aloo saag last week in it.

The instant pot seriously changed my Indian food in the best way.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

pretend I live in a tiny condo and have minimal (no) additional appliance space

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also chiming in to say the instant pot rules (apparently the off-brand knockoffs like EZ Pressure Cooker Delux or whatever are also good.)

If you know enough about this cuisine (probably just from casual thread reading) to understand what I'm about to say, you don't even really need a recipe book to get started: just dump some meat or legumes into the pot, fry some spices, dump em on top, and then add whatever liquid. Press buttan and you get a reasonably good, extremely low effort curry with no further fiddling less than an hour later.

poo poo if you're organized you can make chana masala in approximately an hour with approximately 5 minutes of actual effort, and I'm talking from dried peas into your belly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ChickenWing posted:

The instant pot is a better use of counter space than a toaster or slow cooker :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CommonShore posted:

The instant pot is a better use of counter space than a toaster or slow cooker :colbert:

We use our electric kettle more but no other appliance comes close to the IP.

Aaaanyway, I would make a thai curry instead to be perfectly honest, coconut milk and good curry paste can just simmer for a while and then toss some veg in and done. I found indian curries to just take a long time to come together. Again, until we got our ip.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ChickenWing posted:

The 3 quart model is small and I can easily cook like 2+ pounds of meat in it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

PSA: don't cook meat straight out the fridge. I forgot it turns it to rubber, and my bolognese is tough and awful. quickly wanted to make dinner as it was getting late, didn't give the minced meat enough time to hit room temp.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Qubee posted:

PSA: don't cook meat straight out the fridge. I forgot it turns it to rubber, and my bolognese is tough and awful. quickly wanted to make dinner as it was getting late, didn't give the minced meat enough time to hit room temp.

counterpoint: you'd have to leave meat out for hours to bring it up to room temp, and cooking it from cold is perfectly fine. Also, why is this in the Indian food thread?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So I live in India now which means I've been eating literally nothing but Indian food for months. I made a ton of Indian food before moving here so there's very little that's actually new, but there are a few things I would never make because they are too much trouble but which are pretty need. For instance, most deep-fried stuff I'd never make, because it's a pain to heat up that much oil, cool it down, filter it, etc. so I never really ate vadas and these things are great.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Qubee posted:

PSA: this has been pretty roundly proven to be an old wives tale.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008
I bought a thing of whole pigeon peas instead of split. Suggestions? I went ahead and made sambar with it already but would like more ideas.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Orange Somen posted:

I bought a thing of whole pigeon peas instead of split. Suggestions? I went ahead and made sambar with it already but would like more ideas.

This is like, the opposite of curry, but pigeon peas are used to make gray peas and bacon, a traditional Black Country dish from England.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Orange Somen posted:

They're traditional in Caribbean rice & peas. So go nuts with the allspice and chili and coconut milk

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Saffron for a Biryani, should I be looking for Kashmiri saffron? I couldn't find any at the Indian market or at Penzy's, should I just try my chances on Amazon?

I did try some Spanish saffron previously and it uh... didn't taste real good.

dunno where you are in the world, but these guys near me are legit:

http://www.cheshiresaffron.co.uk/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ages ago, I think before this thread, someone posted a link to a GWS wiki recipe for some kind of Indian pancake made from fermented yellow split peas. I can't remember wtf they were called. I think it was dino.'s recipe.

Any help? I want to make them again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CommonShore posted:

Ages ago, I think before this thread, someone posted a link to a GWS wiki recipe for some kind of Indian pancake made from fermented yellow split peas. I can't remember wtf they were called. I think it was dino.'s recipe.

Any help? I want to make them again.
http://goonswithspoons.com/Adai

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I have been making daal every day for a week. One of my employees brought me a whole sack of spices from his trip to India, and I’m loving it.

I don’t have green chiles, only red Thai. Is that a decent alternative?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

virinvictus posted:

I have been making daal every day for a week. One of my employees brought me a whole sack of spices from his trip to India, and I’m loving it.

I don’t have green chiles, only red Thai. Is that a decent alternative?
For that adai recipe, for making dal, or just generally? Do you mean dried chilies or fresh? What are we talking about?

If it's the adai recipe, you can just leave the chilies out. If they're fresh chilies, you can use them instead of the green ones, although it'll be hot as gently caress.

If it's for a dal recipe, generally you can leave the chilies out or replace them (it'll be hot as gently caress if they're fresh though). If you're replacing fresh with dried, you'll want to add the dried when you add other whole spices rather than with the aromatics.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For that adai recipe, for making dal, or just generally? Do you mean dried chilies or fresh? What are we talking about?

If it's the adai recipe, you can just leave the chilies out. If they're fresh chilies, you can use them instead of the green ones, although it'll be hot as gently caress.

If it's for a dal recipe, generally you can leave the chilies out or replace them (it'll be hot as gently caress if they're fresh though). If you're replacing fresh with dried, you'll want to add the dried when you add other whole spices rather than with the aromatics.

Fresh. and for a dal recipe. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the advice!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For the adai, and other fermented batters like dosa/uttapam/idli, how well blended does it need to be? All I've got is an immersion blender, not sure how well it would do. Is it only dosa that needs to be super well blended since it's thin, or do all batters made with urad/black gram need it to work right?

I also remember reading somewhere that the batter is pretty funky when it's fermenting, is that accurate?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't think an immersion blender will be strong enough to blend pulses, although I've never tried. The better you blend it, the better the final texture is. I don't know what counts as "pretty funky" - anything you're fermenting is going to be funky, because that's why you're fermenting it. You're making it funky.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm making some right now. I'm going to run it once through the food processor and then take the immersion blender to it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think an immersion blender will be strong enough to blend pulses, although I've never tried. The better you blend it, the better the final texture is. I don't know what counts as "pretty funky" - anything you're fermenting is going to be funky, because that's why you're fermenting it. You're making it funky.

Ok thanks! Maybe I'll get a blender since I've stopped moving around so much. I can probably make better hummus too! And yeah, I expect some funkiness, but whoever was writing about it implied it smelled offensive rather than like an active fermentation.

Now I just need to figure out how to make a good sambar and some chutneys.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Approximately where would this vindaloo (from 660 curries) fall on the indian restaurant ordering hotness scale?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

Approximately where would this vindaloo (from 660 curries) fall on the indian restaurant ordering hotness scale?

It will depend entirely on the heat of the peppers you use. It's otherwise not hot. Cayenne are your mild option there, and the Thai peppers are going to be hotter. Out of 5 it will probably be anywhere from 2-4, but if you're worried about heat, guess 3-4. Should taste pretty good, that's a decent marinade.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jhet posted:

It will depend entirely on the heat of the peppers you use. It's otherwise not hot. Cayenne are your mild option there, and the Thai peppers are going to be hotter. Out of 5 it will probably be anywhere from 2-4, but if you're worried about heat, guess 3-4. Should taste pretty good, that's a decent marinade.

I've made it with thai chilis, it was delicious and it allowed me to transcend my mortal flesh for a few fleeting moments. I'm just calibrating in case I want to order it in a restaurant someday without embarassing myself

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's a secret: there's not an objective hotness scale that all the Indian restaurants share with each other but hide from the public. They're all just making it up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I guess the thing is that you don’t know what their 5 is. Most of the Indian restaurants near me are pretty tame with a medium spicy, but there’s a few Thai places that will absolutely murder your guts with medium.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My indian friends in school would order "indian hot" off the secret hotness menu and I was not up to the task back then

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We usually just ask for extra chilies or chili oil on the side.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Here's a secret: there's not an objective hotness scale that all the Indian restaurants share with each other but hide from the public. They're all just making it up.

Here in the UK at least I'd say vindaloo and phaal are pretty well guaranteed to be uncomfortably hot for most people. They seem to be made for people to order when they want to prove how hard they are.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

Here in the UK at least I'd say vindaloo and phaal are pretty well guaranteed to be uncomfortably hot for most people. They seem to be made for people to order when they want to prove how hard they are.

Yeah that’s a UK thing though, vindaloo elsewhere can be really hot but doesn’t have to be, it’s the vinegar that gives it a signature taste. That said I had some hot as gently caress vindaloos in Britain.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
British Indian food is too hot, even by Indian standards. The food should be spicy for sure, but you should have a balance of other flavours. It’s why so many recipes call for whole dried chilies or whole fresh chilies to go in. You’re meant to adjust to your needs at table.

Re: adai

So it’s actually contentious. I like mine blended a bit more finely than most. The amount of pulses would likely give your immersion blender a hell of a workout, but it’s been done, and was fine. Dosa is a different story. Because of how finely you have to mill it, you need a strong blender. I personally will take it down to like a coarse rice flour consistency, because I prefer mine to be thinner and more crispy. Most people will take it to somewhere between coarse rice flour, and stone ground cornmeal. Unlike dosa, adai and pesarattu need not be ground down to a fine batter. For dosa, I want to have a smooth batter like a pancake batter.

Also, because of the combination., Adai doesn’t ferment. It’s like pesarattu. You let it kind of sit for like a half hour, but it’s ready to roll once it’s all ground.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

For dosa, I want to have a smooth batter like a pancake batter.

Lovely, smelly, rotten pancake batter. :haw:

Ever since I discovered premade dosa batter in the fridge at my favorite Indian market, I haven't made my own batter once.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Lovely, smelly, rotten pancake batter. :haw:

Ever since I discovered premade dosa batter in the fridge at my favorite Indian market, I haven't made my own batter once.

I don't care for the store bought batter. It doesn't crisp up as nicely. Also, I have a loving vitamix. If I buy my batter, my ancestors will haunt me to my death.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question for you about those things Dino -

I picked up some toor daal, and it was "oiled" - it was the only kind of toor the Indian grocer had. I looked it up and rinsed the ever loving snot out of it. Any comments on or tricks for the oily daal in adai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CommonShore posted:

Question for you about those things Dino -

I picked up some toor daal, and it was "oiled" - it was the only kind of toor the Indian grocer had. I looked it up and rinsed the ever loving snot out of it. Any comments on or tricks for the oily daal in adai?

The oil is just there to preserve it longer. As long as you rinse it off before using, you can treat it like regular.