Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Now, droids obviously can't feel the Force (because the Force is created by all living things and droids are obviously not truly alive; this is demonstrated in ESB when Han, Leia and Chewie are able to switch C-3PO on and off, effectively killing him and bringing him back to life repeatedly)

This doesn't detract from your larger point, but droids are unquestionably alive, as similar phenomena to this has been demonstrated in real life. And the career of R2D2 also demonstrates how the Force acts through droids. It is merely the inability of droids to recognize their contributions that makes the Force chauvinistic and undemocratic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
note that there is a distinction here between 'the force' as a broader concept of fate or destiny, which droids, jar jar binks, and basically every other character have some degree of interaction with, and 'the force' as rear end in a top hat wizard powers

part of the reason the jedi suck as much as they do is that they don't think there is a distinction here

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

ungulateman posted:

note that there is a distinction here between 'the force' as a broader concept of fate or destiny, which droids, jar jar binks, and basically every other character have some degree of interaction with, and 'the force' as rear end in a top hat wizard powers

part of the reason the jedi suck as much as they do is that they don't think there is a distinction here

Technically, you could create a droid with using artificially grown organic elements saturated with midiclorians and it would probably be able to juggle solar systems.

The closest to this we have seen is, of course, Darth Vader.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
R2 has rear end in a top hat wizard powers they're just the product of a sufficiently advanced form of technology instead of genetic mutation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

sassassin posted:

R2 has rear end in a top hat wizard powers they're just the product of a sufficiently advanced form of technology instead of genetic mutation.

Anyone else remember that webcomic that was the PT and OT as someone's pen and paper campaign?

Anyhow, the R2-D2 was the power gamer's character.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Anyone else remember that webcomic that was the PT and OT as someone's pen and paper campaign?

Anyhow, the R2-D2 was the power gamer's character.
Darths and Droids.
I never did finish reading that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Technically, you could create a droid with using artificially grown organic elements saturated with midiclorians and it would probably be able to juggle solar systems.

The closest to this we have seen is, of course, Darth Vader.

Was general grevious able to use the force, he had a bunch of organs and stuff in his body

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Sure, if you want. Or he was just a really good sword fighter before he became a cyborg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blood Boils posted:

Sure, if you want. Or he was just a really good sword fighter before he became a cyborg

Well, he wasn't a very good one after he became a cyborg. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Grievius on the operating table: Doc, will I be able to play the piano?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Part 1.

General Hux: Supreme Leader Snoke was explicit. Capture the base if we can, but destroy it if we must.

Kylo: Uh oh.

General Hux: I won't have you question my methods. My men are exceptionally trained - programmed from birth!

Kylo: I have a bad feeling about this.

General Hux: Careful, Ren, that your "personal interests" not interfere with orders from Leader Snoke.

[Kylo pauses menacingly.]

Kylo: .... Roger Roger.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Uh oh.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, poo poo's getting weird in here again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This is Kylo Ren, isn't it

His grandfather is still Darth Vader in this reality

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The nose and chest checks out, but dunno about those legs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well done with Jakku SMG

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well done with Jakku SMG

Coruscant, too. I'd watch this movie. Probably instead of the next official one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, poo poo's getting weird in here again.

[citation needed]

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

(Changes here may be more subtle, but my goal with the Jakku village is to put more emphasis on the stormtrooper side of things, even incorporating some unused shots from the trailers. Max Von Sydow's dialogue detracted from the character, and the pointless bit where Poe's X-wing popped out a tiny rear-fire cannon was pretty easily cut.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 11, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Well done with Jakku SMG

:agreed: I think this is the first time SMG made me laugh.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
What is that dumb bullshit SMG is posting?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Amethyst posted:

What are you having trouble understanding

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Actually, it’s very good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Amethyst posted:

It seems to be a fan edit of TFA posted in jpegs. At the very least it's a lot of effort.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Best thing to happen to the thread since TLJ

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Guy A. Person posted:

It seems to be a fan edit of TFA posted in jpegs. At the very least it's a lot of effort.

It's about as worthwhile as other fan edits.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i hope he makes an actual movie out of his edits

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Amethyst posted:

Turn on, you're monitor.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

To specify, I’m piecing together an ersatz ‘storyboard’ for a full-fledged alternate cut of both current ST films - beginning with the opening scene and progressing from there. I’ll see how far I can go with this.

Unlike a fan-edit, this is a ground-up re-edit. My goal is to change as much as possible, and my only limitation is the material I have to work with. (I would have liked to introduce the FN character with the helmet removal very early on, but he’s got blood on him at that point. Introducing him earlier would require an entirely different opening sequence and/or some heavy achronological storytelling.)

Amethyst posted:

It's about as worthwhile as other fan edits.

This project began when I decided to browse through Star Wars fan-edits on youtube. With the exception of the really good ‘Neon Noir’ prequel edit, each of them has an egregiously terrible cut in the first minute, often immediately after the opening crawl.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reminder! Today is is the day we get the full version of the Vader/Obi-Wan ANH duel remake. Teaser from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOPXhFensg

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To specify, I’m piecing together an ersatz ‘storyboard’ for a full-fledged alternate cut of both current ST films - beginning with the opening scene and progressing from there. I’ll see how far I can go with this.

It's a christmas miracle is what it is.

Also

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

... Star Wars fan-edits on youtube ... egregiously terrible ...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm on the bus so I can't watch it but if it's anything other then two old guys swing lightswords at each other ineffectively then I don't want it!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm on the bus so I can't watch it but if it's anything other then two old guys swing lightswords at each other ineffectively then I don't want it!!!

How dare you!

They weren't swinging, they were poking.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

teagone posted:

Reminder! Today is is the day we get the full version of the Vader/Obi-Wan ANH duel remake. Teaser from last year:

Is disney George Lucasing the OT?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

teagone posted:

I missed that this was coming.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Remember when SMG would criticize people who said what they wish the prequels were like, saying that they were just making fan fiction now?

Good times.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thrawn527 posted:

Remember when SMG would criticize people who said what they wish the prequels were like, saying that they were just making fan fiction now?

Good times.

Remember when you made a good post?

Yeah, me either.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Fwiw thrawn357 or whatever actually does make good posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Good times.

If anyone were to do what SMG is doing with TPM it would be cool

Why poo poo on interesting effortposts?