Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cinnamon Bear posted:

gotta kill all the poor

but drain their blood first, can't let it go to waste

You don't kill your livestock. You give it only the basic necessities of life so you can milk it when needed and hope it doesn't figure out you are food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sedisp posted:

A vampire cannot enter your home unless invited, your boomer landlord most certainly can.

Maybe in America. If my landlord tried to enter my house without 72h minimum notice in writing I would call the cops

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe in America. If my landlord tried to enter my house without 72h minimum notice in writing I would call the cops

And if you're white enough they won't shoot you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Powershift posted:

And if you're white enough they won't shoot you

Cops don't even have guns in my country. And yeah, being white helps in not getting evicted

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In all honesty this blood transfusion for wealthy but sickly older folk is a pretty fantastic idea.

*hastily scrawls 'Millennial Blood' on a bucket of bleach*

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The_Franz posted:

4K is sticking because it's not a gimmick, just another incremental evolution. 10 years ago 720p displays were phased out as 1080p became the standard and now it's going to 4K. It doesn't carry a $1000 premium like the curved displays and doesn't require everyone to wear goofy glasses like 3D did.

Remember when companies thought that people would actually do this lol:

yeah but 3d technology is just an application of an incremental evolution, super high refresh rates. the HD to 4k transition is nowhere near as striking as the SD to HD transition, nor is it accompanied by a nationwide format change. in 10 years literally everyone went from having a 4:3 CRT tv to having a 16:9 hdtv and no new technology is going to recapture that rate of adoption on its own

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

In all honesty this blood transfusion for wealthy but sickly older folk is a pretty fantastic idea.

*hastily scrawls 'Millennial Blood' on a bucket of bleach*

I mean the temptation to give them tomato juice would just be too much, right? this business idea can’t possibly hold up.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I think some nice red wine vinegar with a lemon squeezed into it. Gotta get that marination going deep to loosen up those tough, dried out old muscles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

maybe it's just because I already know how to use CAD software but a VR modeling thing sounds like a pain in the rear end

Yeah CAD and like, sculpting-based 3D software are two entirely different beasts. I'd probably be super frustrated trying to manually twiddle with the shape of things instead of going "ok rotate this specific constrained arc around this specific constrained line" etc, but I get why artists prefer to do it the other way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

yeah but 3d technology is just an application of an incremental evolution, super high refresh rates. the HD to 4k transition is nowhere near as striking as the SD to HD transition, nor is it accompanied by a nationwide format change. in 10 years literally everyone went from having a 4:3 CRT tv to having a 16:9 hdtv and no new technology is going to recapture that rate of adoption on its own

I think HD to HDR-4K is a sufficiently striking difference to get people to upgrade but the industry has applied the term "HDR" to a ton of things now so good luck having consumers figure out your HDR is not the HDR in their phone camera that makes things look kinda unreal or the HDR in their videogames or or...

Also nobody has the money to buy it this time around so lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

When did this become legal in the US?

Last I heard you had to fly to panama for this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtL1fEEtLaA

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

spacetoaster posted:

If it's a matter of state law, no surprise it would be Florida of all places to give it the good ahead.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

If it's a matter of state law, no surprise it would be Florida of all places to give it the good ahead.

I read somewhere that it might just be the higher levels of hormones in the blood that makes people "feel" better after these transfusions. So people might just need a pill rather than actually harvesting blood from poor saps.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

everything is legal if you have enough money

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool that people donate blood to be charitable and then that blood is sold for hundreds of dollars to rich people who want to RP Elizabeth Bathory.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

probably around the time Larry Ellison started lobbying for it and started a company charging $8000 for a bag of teenager blood

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shame Boy posted:

I think HD to HDR-4K is a sufficiently striking difference to get people to upgrade but the industry has applied the term "HDR" to a ton of things now so good luck having consumers figure out your HDR is not the HDR in their phone camera that makes things look kinda unreal or the HDR in their videogames or or...

Also nobody has the money to buy it this time around so lol

Also, most cheap TVs don't have real HDR because they are edge-lit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
HDR is only going to work correctly when each pixel is its own light source anyway.

so either it's OLEDs or go back to CRT :v:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
LED-TVs (Samsung calls them QLED TVs, q for quantum dot) are probably the best bet for potential future display technologies that allow for real HDR. But that's still a few years out.

OLED has way too many issues at the moment.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Sep 29, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lambert posted:

LED-TVs (Samsung calls them QLED TVs, q for quantum dot) are probably the best bet for potential future display technologies that allow for real HDR. But that's still a few years out.

OLED has way too many issues at the moment.

QLED is just a marketing trick to sell LCD tv's to people looking for OLED.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

It's cool that people donate blood to be charitable and then that blood is sold for hundreds of dollars to rich people who want to RP Elizabeth Bathory.

If it's just plasma that's probably not from a charitable donation blood bank but from poor young people selling their plasma for food money. I don't know which is more late-capitalism

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I hope those people get hepatitis

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
anyone here got AIDS?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
speaking of AIDS https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/12/trump-quietly-shuts-hiv-cure-research-appease-religious-right/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

I have a plasma TV and aside from getting HOT on extended use I love it to death. The picture is far better than anyone's newer TV that I know

4k looks great in the store but when your source image at home is 720 or whatever it hardly matters

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I have a plasma TV and aside from getting HOT on extended use I love it to death. The picture is far better than anyone's newer TV that I know

4k looks great in the store but when your source image at home is 720 or whatever it hardly matters

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with a 2018 OLED vs an old plasma any day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah oled still has problems, but they're getting smaller with time. I just need my monitor to last ~10 years (the one I'm using now is going to be 10 years old next summer), not forever.

my psvita and htc vive have oled and it owns :v:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

That's not true at all, it's a pretty different technology from regular LCD TVs. It's also a much better technology than OLED overall, but can't be miniaturized enough at the moment.

The Bloop posted:

The big problem with Plasma TVs, ignoring burn-in for a moment, was the terrible color depth. Pretty obvious dithering really destroys any illusion of quality as soon as you're sitting close enough.

Truga posted:

Yeah oled still has problems, but they're getting smaller with time. I just need my monitor to last ~10 years (the one I'm using now is going to be 10 years old next summer), not forever.

my psvita and htc vive have oled and it owns :v:

OLED has severe burn-in problems, it would be obvious after a few months of usage with a monitor. TVs have burn-in prevention that runs after after a few hours of use to try to homogenize the picture. But they still suffer from burn-in pretty regularly. Just check any OLED phone after a while: Even though they move elements around to reduce the effect, they all suffer obvious burn-in.

Maximum brightness is also pretty low for big screens.

It's unlikely these problems will be solved soon, unless we find more durable organic material for OLEDs.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Dec 11, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lotta picture box experts in here.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elon Musk, when you're done jacking it to this thread, I will keep you as young and beautiful as you already are by cumming on your face for only $1 million a rope. I'm a young trans woman millennial, and my sperm is absolutely sterile, and filled with extra healing factors and women skin flakes, which I know you like. Again, you will not become uglier if you let me jack off on your face. No touching, no talking, and you will be blindfolded, gagged, and had your nose chemically disabled.

call me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

The big problem with Plasma TVs, ignoring burn-in for a moment, was the terrible color depth. Pretty obvious dithering really destroys any illusion of quality as soon as you're sitting close enough.

I've never had a major burn in problem. Video game HUDs sometimes get ghosty for a while after long sessions, but you can only see it if the screen is basically white and it goes away quickly.

I sit about 9' from a 55" TV as recommended, so being "too close" isn't really an issue.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lambert posted:

That's not true at all, it's a pretty different technology from regular LCD TVs. It's also a much better technology than OLED overall, but can't be miniaturized enough at the moment.

OLED has severe burn-in problems, it would be obvious after a few months of usage with a monitor. TVs have burn-in prevention that runs after after a few hours of use to try to homogenize the picture. But they still suffer from burn-in pretty regularly. Just check any OLED phone after a while: Even though they move elements around to reduce the effect, they all suffer obvious burn-in.

Maximum brightness is also pretty low for big screens.

It's unlikely these problems will be solved soon, unless we find more durable organic material for OLEDs.

That's a lotta words but the name is still just a marketing trick.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
perhaps the same could be said of all product names

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

Elon Musk, when you're done jacking it to this thread, I will keep you as young and beautiful as you already are by cumming on your face for only $1 million a rope. I'm a young trans woman millennial, and my sperm is absolutely sterile, and filled with extra healing factors and women skin flakes, which I know you like. Again, you will not become uglier if you let me jack off on your face. No touching, no talking, and you will be blindfolded, gagged, and had your nose chemically disabled.

call me

username/post :boom:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i think some of you don't "get" the capitalism.png thread

https://twitter.com/Meg_Cramer/status/1072062176859512832

other people has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Dec 11, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

I've never had a major burn in problem. Video game HUDs sometimes get ghosty for a while after long sessions, but you can only see it if the screen is basically white and it goes away quickly.

I sit about 9' from a 55" TV as recommended, so being "too close" isn't really an issue.

9 ft is quite far away, they're not great if you like to lean in close while playing video games. If you sit farther away, you won't notice.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1072151063925530624

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

transitioning to pursue new post-employment endeavors such as not having a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
The program offered eligible employees and managers up to 60 weeks of salary, bonus and benefits, depending on length of service.

god drat