Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ticket comes in:

Why yes I can deploy 5 printers to 80 computers at a DR site. Or, now here me out, the users can click the "install printer" button in our software so they only install the one they're going to use! No? Alright well I guess I'll get scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
We have some live streaming encoder appliance / service for meetings. Apparently somebody unplugged it from the network, then plugged it into the wrong portentirely the wrong network device.
I figured out the problem, got it back online before the meeting, asked the person responsible for running the meeting if everything was good, got a thumbs up, and left.

An hour after the meeting started I apparently got an email saying that poo poo is broke, but I missed it because I was parked in traffic for the last hour and a half and didn't see it until I got home. Protocol is to call the helpdesk if poo poo is hosed. Also protocol is that there is no such thing as an 'urgent meeting support ticket'.

Then I got this gem:

quote:

I request that someone who knows what they are doing be assigned to make sure the video feed works for every meetings since it seems we will be meeting in the community center for a measurable part of 2019. I need to be able to tell everyone that they have a reliable place to view meetings on the web.
CC'd was everyone up the chain, from my boss onward. I just replied "well it worked when I left, but I agree. We should probably hire a contractor to babysit your meetings." The dig here is that my whole department is already overworked. I'm not getting paid to deal with this poo poo, and I'm slated to lose almost 100 hours of vacation when the new year rolls over and really I just don't give a gently caress about this petty poo poo anymore.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

email .... see it ... home

I found the problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Methanar posted:

I found the problem.

I'm on call so I'm supposed to be watching my email this week unfortunately.
Actually, who am I kidding? I would have seen it anyway.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The dig here is that my whole department is already overworked. I'm not getting paid to deal with this poo poo, and I'm slated to lose almost 100 hours of vacation when the new year rolls over and really I just don't give a gently caress about this petty poo poo anymore.

Do you get paid in leu for that or are they stealing 12 days of wages from you?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm slated to lose almost 100 hours of vacation when the new year rolls over

Sounds to me like you've got roughly the rest of the year off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

found out that the reason a project with a vendor has not been going forward is that recently fired IT head had told the vendor it wasn't the solution we wanted

in reality it's to the point that if they can't get this one thing to work we are dropping them and going somewhere else

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bitterandtwisted posted:

Do you get paid in leu for that or are they stealing 12 days of wages from you?

well that's what my boss has promised me.
I could have him file a memo with HR to extend my vacation cutoff till the end of February, but he refused to, saying that he is trying to get it paid out instead because "we are just too busy."

On the flip side I put in for a bunch of vacation days in November and December way back in August but the majority of them got denied "because someone else has already taken that day off." The policy has always been that 2 people can take off and I didn't see a single one in the calendar so I thought I was just getting my chain jerked. I tried again recently to take a couple days off next week and was told again that we're too busy. BUT then the helpdesk guy put in for 2 of those same days and got them immediately. WHAT THE gently caress?! I want to confront my manager and boss and stand up for myself but I already know how that's going to turn out. I'll get a mix of "you're too important right now, we can't operate without you... you're irreplaceable and we need you" followed immediately by "by the way we're putting you on a performance improvement program and probation as a means to strongarm you into sitting the gently caress down and shutting the gently caress up."
I just watched 2 other people go through the same thing amidst our dept already being woefully short-staffed and 2 other people quitting.

Geemer posted:

hfgjhgjhgSounds to me like you've got roughly the rest of the year off.

Considering holidays, it's not even 80 hours left in the month. Now I have an ace up my sleeve if I wanted to really say "gently caress you" and just take off. I had a baby back in July and I've still got FMLA covering any leave I might need to take. I COULD just take off, claim FMLA and be completely covered, but I have a feeling I'd be facing months of negative performance evaluations and terrible 1 on 1 meetings and performance improvement programs.

I just need 18 more months and I get my pension. I think I'm going to start a countdown calendar.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

well that's what my boss has promised me.

Get that poo poo in writing

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just need 18 more months and I get my pension. I think I'm going to start a countdown calendar.

Ah that explains it, they're trying to rat-gently caress you into quitting before your pension kicks in. Good luck! :beerpal:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I delight in the irony of your workplace telling you to take vacation before you lose while also telling you that you can’t take vacation.

Saying that, you jerks trying to take all your vacation in December without any preplanning is just lazy. Your bosses are also lazy to not check on your vacation Totals and let you know mid October that you need to make vacation plans now. If it came down to it, I would still let you take vacation and be understaffed over you simply losing vacation, but I would not be happy about you turning December into emergency vacation time due to year end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I delight in the irony of your workplace telling you to take vacation before you lose while also telling you that you can’t take vacation.

Saying that, you jerks trying to take all your vacation in December without any preplanning is just lazy. Your bosses are also lazy to not check on your vacation Totals and let you know mid October that you need to make vacation plans now. If it came down to it, I would still let you take vacation and be understaffed over you simply losing vacation, but I would not be happy about you turning December into emergency vacation time due to year end.

I got burned by that whole "Oh, sorry someone has already claimed that day", so I mark it out in July (they only let you go 6 months into the future to reserve days). No one else is thinking that far ahead, so I always get my days now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sickening posted:

Last year, HR Complained that our fourth quarter income was always low because people were always taking vacation time in Q4 (Due to the two holidays, yeah no poo poo) and that people were carrying upwards of 200 hours of PTO in our rollover balance. So in April they announced that people would no longer be allowed to rollover time and you needed to spend it or lose it.

Surprise surprise that Q4 was our lowest it's been in years. That said now that we can no longer rollover PTO our personnel managers have a nice, HR Branded, stick they can wield at the project leads to ensure that we actually get our time off and no more of this 'they're too vital to the project for them to leave for a week.' bullshit

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kurieg posted:

Last year, HR Complained that our fourth quarter income was always low because people were always taking vacation time in Q4 (Due to the two holidays, yeah no poo poo) and that people were carrying upwards of 200 hours of PTO in our rollover balance. So in April they announced that people would no longer be allowed to rollover time and you needed to spend it or lose it.

Surprise surprise that Q4 was our lowest it's been in years. That said now that we can no longer rollover PTO our personnel managers have a nice, HR Branded, stick they can wield at the project leads to ensure that we actually get our time off and no more of this 'they're too vital to the project for them to leave for a week.' bullshit

I love this.

Too many people are taking vacation at the end of the year! As a result, you must now burn all of your PTO in December so you don't lose it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't really understand the reasoning behind use it or lose it PTO. You have a job so clearly at least someone thinks you're providing at least as much value as what you cost as an employee.

That cost including PTO. So why is it so bad to payout PTO rather than having people use it.
Aren't your sales people selling more stuff per day than the cost of paying out 8 hours of PTO

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Methanar posted:

I don't really understand the reasoning behind use it or lose it PTO. You have a job so clearly at least someone thinks you're providing at least as much value as what you cost as an employee.

That cost including PTO. So why is it so bad to payout PTO rather than having people use it.
Aren't your sales people selling more stuff per day than the cost of paying out 8 hours of PTO

We have use it or lose it. The execs seem to think that if people don't use their PTO they will come in with a gun and start shooting. So it's required to use your PTO or you get written up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Having a policy that requires you take your PTO each year is fine. Having a policy where you lose it if you don't take it is not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Renegret posted:

I love this.

Too many people are taking vacation at the end of the year! As a result, you must now burn all of your PTO in December so you don't lose it.

Well it's better for them now, as managers can keep track of our PTO spending/accrual for the year and they get on our cases to spend down throughout. The issue is that so many of our clients literally shut down at year end so we'd either have to spend PTO or figure out some way to do work without there being someone to work for. So yes, our Q4s are always going to be low, I guess now they're just slightly less low.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

It’s a cost savings measure, plain and simple. It’s basically theft but stealing where your paycheck is less protected, your pto.

Pto that is accrued and is unused goes into the financial books and has a value. Companies that have carried that over before will have people keeping a ton of this in their books. Implementing the policy will guarantee they will steal back some of the pto for free from their employees at a huge saving the first year. It will also save them money each year after at a smaller benefit.

It’s also why unlimited pto is a nice shiny new toy companies play with that is a total scam. If nobody accrues days none of it is on the books. There is also nothing to pay out when an employee leaves the company in those states with higher protections. I would also assume places with unlimited pto have their employees take off less and they have this uncomfortable scenario of not being sure how many days is okay to take off.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yep, it's a tax/profit/etc accounting trick.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
It's also to protect the company from large somewhat unexpected cash outflow.

Lets say I work for a company for 30 years and never take a day of PTO. When I suddenly get hit by a bus they have to come up with the cash to pay out 30 years worth of vacation in two weeks. Even if I only accrue 2 weeks a year, that's 60 weeks of vacation, over 1 year's salary, that has to be paid out. Not many companies outside of mega-corps can handle unanticipated cash outflow of that size on short notice.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
“Oh no those poor corporations boo boo they have to scrape by all the time. We gotta protect them!”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PremiumSupport posted:

Lets say I work for a company for 30 years and never take a day of PTO. When I suddenly get hit by a bus they have to come up with the cash to pay out 30 years worth of vacation in two weeks. Even if I only accrue 2 weeks a year, that's 60 weeks of vacation, over 1 year's salary, that has to be paid out. Not many companies outside of mega-corps can handle unanticipated cash outflow of that size on short notice.

Then make a rule where you can cash out or roll over 2 weeks max? There is a middle ground to be had here.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

It’s a cost savings measure, plain and simple. It’s basically theft but stealing where your paycheck is less protected, your pto.

Pto that is accrued and is unused goes into the financial books and has a value. Companies that have carried that over before will have people keeping a ton of this in their books. Implementing the policy will guarantee they will steal back some of the pto for free from their employees at a huge saving the first year. It will also save them money each year after at a smaller benefit.

It’s also why unlimited pto is a nice shiny new toy companies play with that is a total scam. If nobody accrues days none of it is on the books. There is also nothing to pay out when an employee leaves the company in those states with higher protections. I would also assume places with unlimited pto have their employees take off less and they have this uncomfortable scenario of not being sure how many days is okay to take off.

Oh yeah unlimited PTO is total bullshit

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i have over two months of paid time off accrued that is protected by law which makes me very expensive to fire.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Then make a rule where you can cash out or roll over 2 weeks max? There is a middle ground to be had here.

Yeah, my company has a cap, but they pay out anything over the cap at the end of the year. This is not rocket science, and contrary to the protestations of corporate America, does not require loving over your employees.

My company is also pulling some bullshit with their hourly employees, though; we had a training a few weeks ago that was scheduled for the day, but they only paid the hourly employees for 6 hours of it, and didn't tell them they were doing that until after it had already happened. They're doing the same thing with half-days on Xmas and New Years eves, but at least they let people know ahead of time, this time.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 11, 2018

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

GreenNight posted:

That's what were talking about actually.

Most of the time when someone say's they have to use it or lose it for Vacation/PTO its because they're over the rollover threshold. They're not losing all of it, but they've accrued more than they can roll over. In my org you can roll over 150% of the vacation you earn in a year.

Edit: This is the proper way for companies to handle Vacation/PTO. Too bad so few do it:

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, my company has a cap, but they pay out anything over the cap at the end of the year. This is not rocket science, and contrary to the protestations of corporate America, does not require loving over your employees.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 11, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we're not allowed to rollover at all. It's bullshit.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

No way this could backfire. The solution we were given to deal with the fact that we only have 300ish gigs free on our 15tb storage is to start moving things over to our local machines. Hope nobody loses anything case vital. Nothing like penny pinching local government dictating IT. :suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

PremiumSupport posted:

I was about to post something like this at first. My father worked at his job for 34 years before retiring in typical boomer fashion, with sick time that never expired but was punishingly difficult to actually use. As a result, when he retired, he had a solid 6 months of sick time accrued that he got paid out for, and that's after he used 2 months because of surgery. However:

Johnny Aztec posted:

“Oh no those poor corporations boo boo they have to scrape by all the time. We gotta protect them!”

gently caress his company. I don't give a poo poo, they could just plan a little bit to accommodate their staff with dozens of years of loyal service and months of time saved up as they approach retirement age. Retirement is not a surprise, the company could use that magic word called "budget" that they typically use to gently caress employees over to instead plan for something that they know is coming.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
My company first took away the ability to roll over, then a few years later implemented unlimited time off.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Methanar posted:

We're moving to unlimited PTO next year - yet they want to continue to offset weekend work with additional time off rather than paying overtime.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Exodor posted:

unlimited ... additional

Is this like an infinity of integers vs infinity of real numbers sort of thing?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

I guess this is probably correct for a lot of places, but anecdotally I've taken more time off (about an additional week) since we went to unlimited PTO this year, and I definitely spent all my PTO time the year before since we had a "use it or lose it" policy previously.

Like most stuff, it'll depend on where you work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Back when I was at Umich, they not only had lavish vacation, but a very simple rule for accumulation: if you had more than 18 months' vacation accumulated (and I think we were at 2 days PTO per month, so that's 36 days of PTO) you stopped accumulating it. So there was no arbitrary "everyone use up their PTO by 12/31" nonsense, but individuals who didn't take PTO eventually lost it. That seemed like a sufficiently fair protection for the University's financial concerns.

When I was a manager at my current gig, which has use it or lose it PTO that includes sick time, everyone naturally went in to December with at least a week of PTO left. After all, you don't want to risk getting sick at the end of the year and having to take unpaid leave. I ended up instituting a tiered vacation system for my team. Tier 1 meant you were well and truly gone. Tier 2 meant you had no responsibilities except to stay in pager range and be able to return to work in 2 hours if I paged you. That got me the leeway to put up to 1/3 of my people on tier 1 vacation and another 1/3 on tier 2, with only the remaining third in the office. My management didn't love having 2/3 of the staff out, but since I could go from 1/3 working to 2/3 working in 2 hours if we had a major incident, they allowed it.

Which is still just a good workaround for a dumb policy.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, I have an interview for an IT Helldesk position next week with another government department that still pays 15% over what I make in the data entry mill, so wish me luck~

(gently caress I need to contact my references in less than a week, I'm so dead)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I get 20 days annual leave each year. On top of that I get 18 days sick/carers leave each year. Sick leave days roll over indefinitely, so if I never took a sick day I could accumulate months/years worth and use them all at once if needed (like if I got cancer or whatever). Annual leave caps at 8 weeks so anything above that must be used or it gets paid out as salary. I can also "purchase" additional leave by taking a small paycut from my gross salary to accumulate additional leave over a 12 month period. As a long term employee I also have long service leave. This is 90 days paid leave that I got after 10 years of service. I accumulate another 7 or 9 (can't remember) days each year. I don't have to use this and it doesn't affect my other leave caps. I can cash it out if I want. Some people never take it and get a nice bonus when they retire. If I am made redundant, I am paid 6 weeks salary +1 or 2 weeks for each year of service. Additionally, all my annual, purchased and long service leave is paid out. If they fired me, I think they'd effectively have to pay me about a year's salary. Some parts of government employment are pretty good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Methanar posted:

Yeah it's kind of bullshit

mine is use-or-lose but it refills at hire anniversary we don't have everyone trying to burn it in the last quarter of the year which is nice

e: My dad has forever accruing sick leave which has suddenly come in real handy as he concussed himself very much two sundays ago and isn't really work-okay for a likely months long period. Good thing he has nearly a year of paid sick leave banked :v:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 12, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Considering holidays, it's not even 80 hours left in the month. Now I have an ace up my sleeve if I wanted to really say "gently caress you" and just take off. I had a baby back in July and I've still got FMLA covering any leave I might need to take. I COULD just take off, claim FMLA and be completely covered, but I have a feeling I'd be facing months of negative performance evaluations and terrible 1 on 1 meetings and performance improvement programs.

You don't get any negative performance evaluations if you accidentally :yotj: while on leave.

Sickening posted:

The place before last I was in moved to unlimited time off (people weren't taking it, because the place was that good to work in) and did a survey to see what people thought was appropriate. Turns out basically everyone said "about thirty days a year".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I get three weeks but quite frankly I have no idea how I could possibly take them this place would fall apart without me