Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

As long as you are trying to test detail orientation under pressure and pronounce the words properly I think it's just about an OK question.

Ironically making the file 100MB makes it easier as it screams trick question.

to me the point would seem to be knowing the distinction between bits/bytes since that's the sort of thing a programmer should know, and "about 10" would imply that. otherwise you're testing the ability to do mental arithmetic under pressure which isn't an obviously relevant skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Do you know how many bits in a byte

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

to me the point would seem to be knowing the distinction between bits/bytes since that's the sort of thing a programmer should know, and "about 10" would imply that. otherwise you're testing the ability to do mental arithmetic under pressure which isn't an obviously relevant skill

8 * 1 is not exactly solving a 2nd order diophantine equation under pressure

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Mb/MB distinction in transfer rate advertisement drives me loving nuts and I hate it

can't we just measure in bytes and be loving done with it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

8 * 1 is not exactly solving a 2nd order diophantine equation under pressure

meh, i wouldn't underestimate people's ability to gently caress up simple questions under pressure.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Chalks posted:

meh, i wouldn't underestimate people's ability to gently caress up simple questions under pressure.

True but answering questions under pressure is pretty much the whole point of interviewing someone

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

:capitalism:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

True but answering questions under pressure is pretty much the whole point of interviewing someone

that's why i was asking what they were trying to establish with the question. if i was interviewing and someone said "about 10" i'd be happy that they got the point but didn't do the exact calculation, and i wouldn't really give a poo poo that they hadn't.

but then again i'd probably not have asked the question in person in the first place

i mean really the point of interviewing someone is to filter out good applicants from bad ones so you'd expect the question to do something to that end.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 11, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ciaphas posted:

we used to until someone in advertising found out that there was another unit of measure that was 8x more and had the same starting letter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

graph posted:

we used to until someone in advertising found out that there was another unit of measure that was 8x more and had the same starting letter

yeah i just wish people wouldn't inflict this poo poo on each other in interviews

i get it, spotting tricks like that is important, but come the gently caress on

(edit) yes also the "1M times vs 2^20 times for mega-" thing but oh crackers i'm not doing that goddamn math

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 11, 2018

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I have been asking the question: "I have a 100Mb/s internet connection, how long will it take me to download a 100MB file?" for the last several months to candidates.

I think that question has around a 40% correct answer rate. :smith:

there’s no way this will complete in 8 seconds if you’re using tcp tho lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pretty much all tech interviews are gotcha trivia questions so it doesn't really seem different than questions about your language of choice or giving you a leetcode you've already done before or something dumb like that. See thread title.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah but i'm gonna bitch about it anyway!!!!!!!!!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i think the dispatch job is fine cuz it shows youve done difficult things that involve actual people and arent some insufferable shutin computer nerd

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I have been asking the question: "I have a 100Mb/s internet connection, how long will it take me to download a 100MB file?" for the last several months to candidates.

I think that question has around a 40% correct answer rate. :smith:

ratbert90 posted:

The amount of people that say 10 seconds is crazy though.

"8 seconds, assuming your internet connection is actually 100Mb/s, the server has >= 100Mb/s upload bandwidth available, and assuming your connection has enough upstream bandwidth to handle the acks (not a given in a world where comcast exists), and assuming your latency is low enough that you don't have to worry about it, and assuming zero packet loss, and assuming you can send the whole thing full blast from the start (ignoring e.g. tcp slow start), AND ignoring packetization/protocol overhead. so after all that probably about 10 seconds"

e: or an hour and a half if your isp is feeling fucky that day and loses half your packets on a second and half journey through mainland china or wherever the gently caress

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 11, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

TwoDice posted:

hire this man because so far he’s the only correct answer. lmfao if you think you’re getting that file in under 10 sec over any “internet” connection.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TwoDice posted:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

hire this man because so far he’s the only correct answer. lmfao if you think you’re getting that file in under 10 sec over any “internet” connection.

its extra funny because 10 seconds is probably a good wild rear end guess given normal latency and cdn speeds

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chalks posted:

do they say exactly 10 seconds or do they say about 10 seconds, 'cause what are you testing for here?

Assuming everything is constant. It's to see if people interviewing for a programming job that requires networking knowledge understand that MegaBIT and MegaBYTE are two different things.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, if you don't accept 10s, you are the horror in this thread.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

it's an interview to find if someone fits a job, not a special forces selection week

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
hmm, what if it is a serial connection and there are 1.5 stop bits?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you still gently caress up serial at like ~3%

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lancemantis posted:

it's an interview to find if someone fits a job, not a special forces selection week

Is it possible to have a no pressure interview? The mere concept of being judged for your skills is pressure itself imo. Different people react differently under pressure even if they might be great in the day to day of a job. It's why interviewing is its own skill outside of anyone's actual job functions. And why it's garbage.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PokeJoe posted:

Is it possible to have a no pressure interview? The mere concept of being judged for your skills is pressure itself imo. Different people react differently under pressure even if they might be great in the day to day of a job. It's why interviewing is its own skill outside of anyone's actual job functions. And why it's garbage.

do a project, someone comes up and offers you a job ex nihilo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've had interviews where it was just "we just want to put a face to the name, you've already got the job" and there was still pressure, if only because i still had to judge the company i was potentially joining

(and i didn't do so hot there, tbh)

admittedly a different kind of pressure, but still valid, as anyone that's joined a poo poo company can tell you

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

yeah when youre jaded af and dont give a poo poo about getting tricksy little math questions proctored by smarmy little nerds right, interviewing is pretty low pressure

also the thing where doing bad at an interview is like 99% a legit sign that place sucks generally or specifically would suck for you

i don't want to work with insufferable nerds so failing an insufferably nerdy interview is "lol bullet dodged cya"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

obviously if you NEED a job it's a little different, but if youre a six figgie computer toucher looking for a place that will pay you more figgies to do the thing youre relatively competent and comfortable doing why sweat it

youll get the jobs that are good fits (modulus numbers game) youll definitely not get the jobs that are bad fits, just show up and be a normal competent human being adult professional and whatever happens is probably for the better

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

im literally levitating right now thats how enlightened i am

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

obviously if you NEED a job it's a little different, but if youre a six figgie computer toucher looking for a place that will pay you more figgies to do the thing youre relatively competent and comfortable doing why sweat it

youll get the jobs that are good fits (modulus numbers game) youll definitely not get the jobs that are bad fits, just show up and be a normal competent human being adult professional and whatever happens is probably for the better

this is my thought process now too when interviewing - i get to act naturally and choose what fits me instead of being desperate for something anything as was the last experience of job search

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

have an interview. tomorrow and two next week

for your information goons my resume is 3 pages and never fails to get me to at least a phone screen. and it was made with an apple pages template

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I recently got tell a Facebook recruiter I wouldn’t work for their company which felt terrific too

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

have an interview. tomorrow and two next week

for your information goons my resume is 3 pages and never fails to get me to at least a phone screen. and it was made with an apple pages template

I should also add that by the time I get to the on-site it’s obvious that my interviewers haven’t read my resume?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

I should also add that by the time I get to the on-site it’s obvious that my interviewers haven’t read my resume?

when i interview people i usually read the resume but i dont bother retaining any of what i read

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah the most correct answer i could come up with is ‘more than 8 seconds’

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

the best interview is ‘yeah i worked with them for a few years at a previous job they’re solid’

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

im doing no pressure interviewing rn and its cause my worst case is "continue to have this job i like a lot with cool people that pays a lot of money" upside being even more figgies. strange but good feeling getting a rejection letter from a company and being relieved i don't have to figure out how to tell that i really dont want to work them actually, after talking to some of the people i'd be working with

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ratbert90 posted:

The amount of people that say 10 seconds is crazy though.
Are you interviewing candidates for a hard drive manufacturer?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Certainly you mean MiB as well, or is it common MB or actual MB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

at some point I have to bluff what recruiters want to see, and they want to see microservices. they don't know that docker is for microservices, they don't know what individual AWS services are, and they don't understand that nobody makes a microservice, until one day they do

I guarantee you that most tech recruiters know what docker is, especially if the jobs they are recruiting for require docker. poo poo, I know people in marketing who know what docker is.