Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Furia posted:

If they’re following you how do they end up ahead of you in the grocery store queue?

while i'm shopping, they wait. then they get gum for their "grandson" and write a check for 45 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Salt Fish posted:

This doesn't insulate you from the potential harms of improperly conducted surveillance and data storage. I recommend Bruce Schneier's Data and Goliath if you want to be creeped out real bad.

oh no, I'm already super creeped out by data collection and pervasive surveillance capitalism!

I just don't think product advertising is the thing to be afraid of, or that cash or bitcoins would have any use in warding off the bad effects. The stuff I worry about is much much worse than merely some ad convincing me to buy Folger's Crystals.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wait wait wait.

BITCHCOIN!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

is pepsi ok posted:

freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

It's like that scene in The Usual Suspects where Keyser Soze kills his wife and kids to demonstrate iron will, except instead of actually killing them its just their future.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
griftocurrency

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Bitcoin: A Rube Goldbug Griftocurrency

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mimesweeper posted:

If you think that's stupid you should look at our telecom infrastructure.

"Hello Govt, we need $billions to upgrade our systems!"
"OK sure that sounds great!"
*sits on $billions, implements data caps, slowly ratchets them up while raising prices, speeds still haven't caught up to the initial release of cable modems*
*colludes with other major telecom companies to divide up coverage so consumers have little or no choice*
*barely upgrades anything*

The Australian government would like you to hold its beer.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh btw, the Kodakcoin ICO went to poo poo

and their Post-Licensing Portal code is currently being held hostage by the developer, until he gets paid for the work

so, pretty on brand for Kodak in 2018

but it's ok! someone got what money there was to get

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wait...wait...wait.

Got it:

Bitcon!

:hellyeah:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So the dev was able to tools down and actually hold the product hostage? That's hella cool if so. Normally you can't do that for various reasons, and they can gently caress you over anyhow to get their product without paying you.

After months and months of not having been paid, and with being offered to be paid in the shitcoins he was building, I would have ghosted them, taken the software with me and seen if anyone else would have bought it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Furia posted:

If they’re following you how do they end up ahead of you in the grocery store queue?

Old people are actually incredibly fast and will seemingly teleport in front of you when you want to queue to pay for something. It takes a lot of energy, though, so after they teleport they are even slower at completing the payment than bitcoin.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dgolumbia/status/1072500157583945728

Worldpeacecoin, really?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I’m @worldpeacecoin0

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"WPC is a cryptocurrency that aims to route out the world poverty as well as a cryptocurrency utilizing blockchain technology."

The whitepaper is good for a laugh.
Click the archive link to access it.

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1072503226254180356

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I have bad news for the grifters who thought they could appeal to the humanitarian urges of the crypto-buying community.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

NO. MORE. EXPLOITATION.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

So what happens when all coins are mined? Do we achieve world peace?

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Waffle House posted:

NO. MORE. EXPLOITATION.

:v: "Wait so you're telling me they just GIVE YOU solar panels? Get enough of these and we could power a whole rack of ASICs... what do you mean you need these for the school? DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND BLOCKCHAIN!?"

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Someone should make a worldwar3coin.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Someone should make a worldwar3coin.

I believe that's USD.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Motronic posted:

I believe that's USD.

:wrong:

It's bottle caps

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Waffle House posted:

NO, MORE EXPLOITATION!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Finally a viable alternative to fiat world peace

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This is somehow more depressing than the altcoin whose included this:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just read that the IRS seized its first bitcoin wallet and is gonna try and sell the coins. Poor bastard who lost it is only going to get credit for what they actually sell it at...

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

sullat posted:

Just read that the IRS seized its first bitcoin wallet and is gonna try and sell the coins. Poor bastard who lost it is only going to get credit for what they actually sell it at...
Link this please! :circlefap:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that's amazing.

How did they manage to seize it? Unless they forced him to give them the details to access it, or had it written down somewhere, it should be inaccessible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McGiggins posted:

How did they manage to seize it? Unless they forced him to give them the details to access it, or had it written down somewhere, it should be inaccessible.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/21/government-forfeiture-bitcoin-auction/

quote:

To get Ulbricht’s Bitcoin, they snatched his open, unlocked laptop from under his nose while arresting him in a San Francisco library. (As for Cazes, he was logged in to an AlphaBay administrator’s account when agents rammed a car through the gate of his Thailand estate.)

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
No, this was the justice dept. seizing a laptop in a sting operation, not the IRS. Totally different.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

sullat posted:

Bet he wishes he hadn't hedl.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

McGiggins posted:

quote:

Collection officers seized the wallet ... on a device that was locked in a safe with cash. The individual gave the IRS the wallet's password...

Sorry for not finding a link, it's from a daily tax report from some place we have a subscription to at work. Basically it was seized by collections to pay off an outstanding tax liability.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sullat posted:

I couldn't find this but I did find some articles about how everyone is finally going to declare their bitcoins to the IRS in 2019 (as losses)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's hardcore.

Imagine being so smug you thought you could commit crimes in a library.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

McGiggins posted:

That's hardcore.

Imagine being so smug you thought you could commit crimes in a library.

They let Anne Coulter put a book in a library

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Apparently etherium wallets still have a number of serious unpatched vulnerabilities. This is good for etherium.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hacke...RzMLjiaRs9982Cs

quote:

A quick Shodan search shows that nearly 4,700 devices --most of which are Geth mining equipment and Parity wallets-- are currently exposing their 8545 port.

Furthermore, there are also free tools available for exploiting and automating scans and attacks on Ethereum clients via port 8545.

The article links to geth hack where the github page has an etherium wallet address for donations. :lol:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Should cattle prod anyone manufacturing products called geth and shodan.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Should cattle prod anyone in the coin markets to be honest.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

McGiggins posted:

Should cattle prod anyone in the coin markets to be honest.

I see you've heard of our upcoming ICO, ProdCoin.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, I spent all my grocery money on ProbeCoin already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Would a coin fork that requires cattle proddings to mine require less electricity than butts? My money is on no.