Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cranking up my switch like it's an early automobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Imagined posted:

I've come to realize there are a surprising number of people who buy Nintendo consoles only and literally only for the $59.99 Nintendo first-party games. During the months between those coming out the thing gathers dust.

I was like that with the Wii and skipped the Wii U entirely so I get it, but the Switch is not like them. It's a good console.

I can't entirely blame them either, there's so many great PS4/PC games worth checking out, it's impossible to keep up with all three consoles unless you're lucky enough to have huge chunks of free time :/

I like ports and indies from 2006 as much as the next goon, but I can totally see the switch being a secondary Nintendo games only device for a lot of people. A Zelda, Mario, and Smash box, basically

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Augus posted:

Which version

Classic female

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Imagined posted:

I've come to realize there are a surprising number of people who buy Nintendo consoles only and literally only for the $59.99 Nintendo first-party games. During the months between those coming out the thing gathers dust.

I was like that with the Wii and skipped the Wii U entirely so I get it, but the Switch is not like them. It's a good console.

Same, I also skipped the Wii U, but unlike their previous efforts the Switch actually has a huge amount of third-party support so there is no shortage of other games to play, it's great!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Switch has been getting practically every game that will run on the hardware which is not something you can say for any previous Nintendo console.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My proudest Katamari moment is rolling a big ol ball of mostly-plants and doing it in such a short time that i was awarded

WEED METEOR
:weed:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was it Katamari Damacy or We <3 Katamari that had that crane level?

I remember that one being drat tough :argh:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Tales of Woe posted:

Switch has been getting practically every game that will run on the hardware which is not something you can say for any previous Nintendo console.

Gonna need Dark Souls 2 & 3 on Switch.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That was We <3 Katamari. They know what the wrought with the first game, since the second had a Cow/Bear combined level. The campfire level though was super chill and had the best music track playing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

And any cross platform game - I want the Switch version. I've even stopped buying Steam games. My PC is now solely for FPS and hardcore strategy games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SettingSun posted:

That was We <3 Katamari. They know what the wrought with the first game, since the second had a Cow/Bear combined level. The campfire level though was super chill and had the best music track playing.

Was that song Baby Universe? Man, I love that song. I love the whole <3 soundtrack. I have less experience with the first, though.

EDIT: This song might've been my favourite from <3

Welp, that was the wrong video. I'll try that again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M06aDKSgK5o

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 11, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OWAGAMII

we <3 is technically a better more robust game but they left the original Katamari On The Rocks off the soundtrack so damacy will always be superior

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I never played the original Katamari to compare but am I the only one who feels like the physics in Re-roll are janky even for a katamari game? I swear I never got stuck in so many corners in any of the previous ones I've played. I had to reset a whole stage because i got stuck halfway through a standing signpost.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
When is virtual console coming back

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mr Phillby posted:

I never played the original Katamari to compare but am I the only one who feels like the physics in Re-roll are janky even for a katamari game? I swear I never got stuck in so many corners in any of the previous ones I've played. I had to reset a whole stage because i got stuck halfway through a standing signpost.

I think that's how it's always played, it's been literally 10 years since I played it on PS2 hardware though so that might just be my incorrect memory. I find myself going backwards a lot, but the more I play the better I am able to control my momentum.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

AppleDan posted:

Never

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

AppleDan posted:

When Nintendo starts "losing".

Spellman
May 31, 2011

We are way overdue now for game organization options

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My only nitpick with Smash is that I cannot earned enough gold to keep up with my fashion addiction.

All my Mii fighters have the moves I like but not the look.

Though I did just get both pieces of Isaac (Golden Sun) gear for the sword fighter so maybe I'm done.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I've started a second file in World of Light to unlock doubles of spirits I want to mulch into fighter cores

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Spellman posted:

We are way overdue now for game organization options

Also some way to interact with friends. I hate that I can’t tell friends “hey get in this discord” without having their phone numbers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spellman posted:

I've started a second file in World of Light to unlock doubles of spirits I want to mulch into fighter cores

I believe there is a NG+ option, if you haven't beaten it yet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hahah the spirit of Paz gives you a bob-omb

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mr Phillby posted:

Definitely feels jankier than I remember. Lots of clipping into geometry and just spinning while crap falls off vs I remember I would just... not be able to get into that space

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
One thing that bugs is me is it doesn't clearly convey what I can and can't pick up at times. Why am I bouncing off a soft little bush when I just picked up a taller, heftier toy right around the corner?

A seriously bitter note in an otherwise amazing experience, it's happened multiple times already and is a total bummer. I had to go roll in like one or two more items before it would let me snap up items I had grabbed with ease in other runs of the same stage

Still really cool game but stuff like that and the weird jankiness is absolutely detracting from the experience

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Finally decided to say gently caress it and just get another Pro controller now and the $55 deal went away. :discourse:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

One thing that bugs is me is it doesn't clearly convey what I can and can't pick up at times. Why am I bouncing off a soft little bush when I just picked up a taller, heftier toy right around the corner?

A seriously bitter note in an otherwise amazing experience, it's happened multiple times already and is a total bummer. I had to go roll in like one or two more items before it would let me snap up items I had grabbed with ease in other runs of the same stage

Still really cool game but stuff like that and the weird jankiness is absolutely detracting from the experience

The bush has roots, dude. Ya gotta think about the whole object.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The bush has roots, dude. Ya gotta think about the whole object.

Exactly. The way I think of it is, unless I'm 110% sure, I don't bother going for some objects. And hey, if it turns out the game wants me to pick it up, bonus!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Katamari's rolling controls feel weird on a controller where the two sticks aren't horizontally aligned.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zerilan posted:

Katamari's rolling controls feel weird on a controller where the two sticks aren't horizontally aligned.

Huh, hasnt bothered me either on Switch or 360. It never occurred to me that they werent aligned.

The only truly terrible Katamari controls are the PSP "buttons-as-sticks"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Does Katamari have a joycon motion option? I don't usually go for non-aim-related motion control, but that feels like it'd be a winner.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

89 posted:

Looking to get my 5 year old something a little cooler than her Amazon Fire touch screen games. I've tried to get her in on some family games with me on the Xbox One, but it just hasn't worked well. A lot of the games are still a little too complicated and the controller is still pretty big for her hands.

I want something me & mommy can play with her.

From last page but xbox does offer a copilot mode as well, which helps out with the complex games or controller issue (she can just hammer the buttons while you move around, etc.)

https://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/accessories/copilot

Switch is also cool and good!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Huh, hasnt bothered me either on Switch or 360. It never occurred to me that they werent aligned.

The only truly terrible Katamari controls are the PSP "buttons-as-sticks"

Actually, those were still good

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I hope they port We <3 Katamari so we get an actually fun co-op mode.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My dude, just give one joy con to your friend and play single player

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I interviewed the makers of Salt and Sanctuary about the physical edition of their game that came out today for the Switch:

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/going-find-horrible-idea-james-michelle-silva-put-physical-edition-indie-hit-salt-sanctuary-store-shelves/

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Did you ask them to fix the faces??

E: Ohh the programmer is also the main artist. Mystery solved I guess.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 11, 2018

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My NES joycons shipped. You know, those controllers that can only be used in docked mode which I rarely use for those NES games I don’t ever play?

God I must hate money...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I fear the Path of Pain has become a Sisyphean task for me. I don’t remember a time I wasn’t pogoing off saw blades and dashing through minute gaps in contrived seemingly endless thorny caverns. A litany of vanquished foes has faded into distant memory. My only enemy now is myself. It has utterly consumed me.

I jest but it’s actually quite zen for me, which is weird because I absolutely balk at this kind of gameplay usually. It’s both a blessing and a curse that there are fairly regular soul statues breaking up the route; in that it makes the possibility of completion just maddeningly tangible enough to keep me going. My main concern is that until I finish it, it’s literally all I can play on my switch as I can’t quit the game and lose the progress. I made steady progress through about 4 or 5 statues last night until I hit a metaphorical and also physical wall of thorns and blades, which is where I’m still at tonight. The gradual swelling of the soundtrack with additional layers of music gives some impetus and gravitas to the slow progression. Even each failed run doesn’t feel like a loss, as I return with a slightly more honed idea of how to continue, the muscle memory incrementally more ingrained into my hands.

I don’t want to know how far I am or how much is left, I’m avoiding any guides or walkthroughs for this. I just wanted to share where I’m at with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

My NES joycons shipped. You know, those controllers that can only be used in docked mode which I rarely use for those NES games I don’t ever play?

God I must hate money...

Hey, not a total waste, you can play them in tabletop mode too.:D