Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm putting together an LP for Diablo II. The plan is to get through all three difficulties with all seven classes. I'm playing on Battle.net ladder and am doing magic find runs (by following a bot around in a public game and leveling up a bit and picking up their scraps) in between certain points just for convenience. I have recorded videos of all of normal difficulty with a Zeal paladin so far.

Is there anyone that likes talking about video games in a recorded format and just loving loves Diablo II and can get together once a week-ish?

You can reach me at Star Man#4508 on Discord if you want to get in touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
anyone have 4os sword and/or shield? doesn't have to be ethereal or exceptional/elite.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I dicked around with a Fire Ball sorceress in single player with perfect equipment. It's doable, but I have to aim Fire Ball to hit several targets. I can just be lazy with Chain Lightning and it will do the work for me.

Lightning sorceress supremecy :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm putting together an LP for Diablo II. The plan is to get through all three difficulties with all seven classes. I'm playing on Battle.net ladder and am doing magic find runs (by following a bot around in a public game and leveling up a bit and picking up their scraps) in between certain points just for convenience. I have recorded videos of all of normal difficulty with a Zeal paladin so far.

Is there anyone that likes talking about video games in a recorded format and just loving loves Diablo II and can get together once a week-ish?

You can reach me at Star Man#4508 on Discord if you want to get in touch.
I'm up for trying this. I added you on discord, watlok#I don't know but you'll see the friend request. D2 is a difficult game to get into, or back into, in 2018 but once you get rolling again it's still pretty fun. Just there's this whole window of "dear god this game sucks more than I remember" until you acclimate.

I've been playing d2 classic since the reset on slashdiablo. I greatly prefer that server due to no bots and nodrop chance being 0% (8 players or 7 players is around 1% on officials, so it's pretty much like 8 player drops all of the time). If we did a let's play it'd be a nice play to do it in my opinion, but I'm down for officials as well.

I think I have working key sets, and I could for sure get an install that works on real bnet if that's where you want to play. I think the reset on bnet is soon. I'd even be up for hardcore at some point because it's exciting.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 30, 2018

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I would also be down to shoot the poo poo regarding D2. I can't do anything Tuesday or Thursday nights since I raid in WoW.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm gonna start playing this again for no particular reason. I have a zealot and I want to do some Hell pit/ancient tunnel runs. Yeah it isn't the best build for that but whatever, I'm okay with not being efficient. Should I keep my Smoke chest piece (mainly for the +50 resist all) and Shako, or should I swap out those pieces for Griswold's chest and helm? I assume I should socket the helm with two perfect topazes but I'm not sure what I should put in the chest piece.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I got on to slash diablo but its empty :/ My play hours are off peak so that isn't helping. Anyone mess with Path of Diablo?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My kingdom for a loving Sol rune.

Also, the crafted amulet says so much about life in just two words.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I crazy for wanting to make a bowazon that has twenty points each in Strafe, Valkyrie, Penetrate, Cold Arrow, and Freezing Arrow?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
holy crap I gound a -4/+5 lightning facet. I have no idea what I could trade this thing for this early in the season.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 12, 2018

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Iirc Strafe's damage doesn't actually scale much with additional points. I never tried the Freeze arrow version of the build, but Strafe/Multi was a lot of fun.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Strafe is like zeal, extremely satisfying to use. You just lay out a million blows against anything you see. Also like zeal, it gets crippled when you block or dodge. Even with your crazy attack speed, if you block or dodge during the attack animation, the rest of your hits will miss. It "breaks" the animation. You prevent damage to yourself, but lose a lot of DPS. Strafe is best used if your mercenary and valkyrie can hold down monsters while you shoot from the back row. If you build for strafe, you want to stay out of combat, and equip as many "%chance to cast" items as you can. A bow with runeword: Brand is great, you will poo poo out bone spears. Runeword: Ice is good for that too, although the %chance will cast frost nova centered on YOU instead of where the arrow lands a hit.

As an extreme version of the this: I have played a melee zeal amazon (weapon must be runeword: Passion) to the end of hell difficulty twice. It's a fun challenge if you're still in a D2 mood but burned out on regular character classes. When you don't take any bow or javelin skills, you put a lot into the passive tree, and gain a lot of dodge% chances. This leads to your dodge "breaking" your zeal damage after you successfully dodge which is very often., If you want to play a zeal zon, you have to have runeword: Passion in your weapon to be able to zeal. The second most important item is a runeword: Delirium helm. You will constantly cast confuse on enemies. They will attack each other instead of you, so you can land your full set of zeal strikes, hopefully bloated with crushing blow, critical hits, and critical strikes. It is far from optimal, and in the very late game you will clear things slowly.

It's a fun change of pace if you've been playing for nearly 20 years, and played every "standard" build with the best synergies possible. My second zeal zon run was solo hardcore, and I was very happy with myself after wasting all that time to beat the game.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
edit: dumb

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So Median XL is releasing its new giant overhaul on Friday if anyone ever played that and wants to scratch the D2 itch. There are a whole bunch of changes https://www.median-xl.com/changelog

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Path of Diablo ladder resets Friday as well if you're looking for something closer to vanilla with some balance and QoL improvements and a fairly active online community https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofdiablo/

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Devonaut posted:

Path of Diablo ladder resets Friday as well if you're looking for something closer to vanilla with some balance and QoL improvements and a fairly active online community https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofdiablo/

I'm bummed that this patch didn't really add any new build options, but I guess they were more concerned with getting the new servers stable.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

So Median XL is releasing its new giant overhaul on Friday if anyone ever played that and wants to scratch the D2 itch. There are a whole bunch of changes https://www.median-xl.com/changelog

These changes look cool, but it's a drat shame they haven't fixed summon necro or completely revamped holy caster paladin.

Summon necro is currently usable but boring/weak, but holy caster paladins are just awful: they can't even cast their spells unless they have a certain buff up. This buff lasts 10 seconds, so you're constantly recasting it to even do anything. It's just pointless busywork made worse by the fact that, while D2 is awesome and eternal, the skill interface is super clunky compared to PoE or Grim Dawn.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What's good in median xl

That mod is confusing as gently caress

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I have no idea what's good, I've only barely dipped my toes into Median and it looks like a lot of stuff has changed. I liked the melee necromancer but it seems to have a slight damage nerf this patch. I also liked the psi-storm assassin but I don't know if its end-game viable.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.twitch.tv/nugiyen

Is streaming median

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's good in median xl

That mod is confusing as gently caress
Just make something and you can reset stuff later. Everything is decent for most classes. There was a giant list of builds pre-sigma on the forums. Maybe it's still there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Does Median (or PoD or any other mods) work on Mac? I had a look around their site but their docs seem to be non-existent.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

Does Median (or PoD or any other mods) work on Mac? I had a look around their site but their docs seem to be non-existent.
PoD should. There's a guide there. And it works on linux.

Median who knows, their new release doesn't work on xp or vista which kinda means I'm having a hard time playing because I play d2 in an xp vm.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

These changes look cool, but it's a drat shame they haven't fixed summon necro or completely revamped holy caster paladin.

Summon necro is currently usable but boring/weak, but holy caster paladins are just awful: they can't even cast their spells unless they have a certain buff up. This buff lasts 10 seconds, so you're constantly recasting it to even do anything. It's just pointless busywork made worse by the fact that, while D2 is awesome and eternal, the skill interface is super clunky compared to PoE or Grim Dawn.

If you're talking about the innate skill everyone has, that rises in duration as you level. Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what buff you're talking about.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cerepol posted:

If you're talking about the innate skill everyone has, that rises in duration as you level. Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what buff you're talking about.

Holy casters can only use their spells when they have the Solar Flare buff active, which isn't their innate skill. The buff it offers scales with points, but unless something changed it always lasts 10 seconds. The documentation even notes this: all the Holy spells say "Works only after using Solar Flare."

Unholy melee paladins have a similar ability, Terror Strike, that enables their special melee attacks. It's just bad design because the buff is big enough that you want it up at all times anyway, and making it last a few seconds rather than more or less forever like most other buffs doesn't really make the gameplay any more engaging.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What's the median xl skill that's most similar to meteor? Is it just flamestrike? I ain't a big fan of how it's a bunch of small hits instead of one gigantic explosion but maybe ill have to make do

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I'm having a lot more fun with Path of Diablo over Median. I like the itemization in Median a lot, but so much of the actual gameplay feels sloppy (e.g. gamma being blown out, noisy particle effects, pets and monsters just sort of randomly teleporting around, being unable to tell what killed you).

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

sevenflow posted:

I'm having a lot more fun with Path of Diablo over Median. I like the itemization in Median a lot, but so much of the actual gameplay feels sloppy (e.g. gamma being blown out, noisy particle effects, pets and monsters just sort of randomly teleporting around, being unable to tell what killed you).

I've absolutely loved the past few (well, until the last two days) days with PoD. It's pretty much everything I want in a game. Hopefully it comes back up soon.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

whalestory posted:

What's the median xl skill that's most similar to meteor? Is it just flamestrike? I ain't a big fan of how it's a bunch of small hits instead of one gigantic explosion but maybe ill have to make do

Yeah, flamestrike is as close as it gets. Median doesn't really have any big, meaty attacks, the big guns general involve hitting dozens of times for small amounts of damage.

There's also an o-skill that literally fills the screen with meteors (the same skill Andariel uses in the mod), but that's probably even more different from classic meteor and tied to a specific item.

sevenflow posted:

As someone who genuinely enjoys Median, this is 100% true. Outside of early Act 1 every monster has some sort of gimmick, and it gets overwhelming in a hurry.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
PoD is back and I'm really happy. Were those D2 mod threads back in the day (like Eastern Sun) in this forum or the general forum? I sort of want to start one for PoD to get more folks interested.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

As someone who genuinely enjoys Median, this is 100% true. Outside of early Act 1 every monster has some sort of gimmick, and it gets overwhelming in a hurry.

Yep, I love the itemization, skill tree, and QoL stuff. Just struggling with the gameplay a bit.

sevenflow fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 29, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sevenflow posted:

PoD is back and I'm really happy. Were those D2 mod threads back in the day (like Eastern Sun) in this forum or the general forum? I sort of want to start one for PoD to get more folks interested.
PoD is pretty much diablo 2 patch 1.18.

Despite its name, it really doesn't deviate from LoD.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Been hoping to jump back into Eastern Sun without all the messing about with downgrading and etc. Unfortunately I can't redownload all of the Goontopia (https://sites.google.com/view/goontopia/goontopia) files as the Step 2 link is apparently infected by a virus.

Does anyone have those files? Or at the very least a link to an easy to understand and up to date method for getting Eastern Sun installed on a 1.14 Battle.net installation?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Flython posted:

Been hoping to jump back into Eastern Sun without all the messing about with downgrading and etc. Unfortunately I can't redownload all of the Goontopia (https://sites.google.com/view/goontopia/goontopia) files as the Step 2 link is apparently infected by a virus.

Does anyone have those files? Or at the very least a link to an easy to understand and up to date method for getting Eastern Sun installed on a 1.14 Battle.net installation?

It is my understanding after looking into this recently that Eastern Sun is a mod for 1.10. You should be able to find .iso files for 1.10 or 1.12 and downgrade from there. There are instructions out there pretty readily available.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It works just fine with 1.13 as well. I'll host the goontopia installer somewhere at some point.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for the replies guys.

On second thought my post was awfully demanding and rather rude. Just so drat eager for Diablo.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Flython posted:

Thanks for the replies guys.

On second thought my post was awfully demanding and rather rude. Just so drat eager for Diablo.

Nah you were fine. I am at work or I'd have found them for you. If you get everything working let me know how it went because I have been wanting to play it too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I am getting back into Diablo 2 after quite a few years of not touching it. I never really took a character past level 30 in the past or worked on specific builds, but now I'm interested in doing so. I know it's a vague question but what is a solid beginner character build (any class, I'm open to suggestions) that is less gear-centric and more skill reliant? I'd like to have as much fun with a self-found character as possible.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Sorc is the go-to but early levels are somewhat tedious. Dump points into charged bolt, fill your inventory with mana potions, grab static for bosses (and telekenesis/teleport if you're sticking with CB for a while), and slay away. Respec to blizzard later, making sure to dump synergy points into ice blast because it's great to spam in between blizzards. You can also optionally respec to nova at ~14. It's even more mana intensive.

The speed runners do charged bolt -> respec nova -> respec FO. Personally, because I tend to play with 4-8 players, I tend to go cb -> blizzard. If you spam ice blast blizzard is fast enough compared to FO.

With sorc, you're going to tp to town often to buy more mana pots. You're going to chug mana pots all the time for your early levels.

Gear-wise, you want stealth armor asap on pretty much every character. Lore helm, but you can temporarily use the highest rubies you have instead which is what I do in hardcore anyway. Insight polearm on mercenary.

The problem with other classes is they don't have teleport. Trap Assassin is also pretty fast without gear.

Hammerdin, Elemental Druid are both pretty solid with poor gear also, but sorc will go through the game the quickest.

I'd avoid amazon, probably avoid necro unless you really like it. You can magic find in cows with necro, especially if you're playing on a server or slightly modded game with nodrop turned off. Which I'd highly recommend for self found.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 12, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was eye-balling a Sorc in character select last night in fact, maybe that'll be my ticket. I don't remember really doing much with Sorc before. I think the last time I played...in 2001...was either a Javazon or a Necro. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Forb makes a really good sound tho and looks cool as heck