Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress just noticed the battery level. Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Peabody
Dec 30, 2011

Go on funny man, make me laugh!

Sharkopath posted:

It is not a good UPF this week.

it's pretty funny that The West Formula can even make giant bomb east completely boring

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why was the Smash Bros QL 28 minutes long while Fallout 76 was over 2hours.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
do they record quick looks at the news desk? i turned on the smash ql and i think theyre all holding their controller to their mics

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

🤔

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Ben can't host anything and Jeff was a terrible choice to sit in

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

they cut off every match/mode after 20 seconds lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
danny o dwyer released a half life documentary in noclip. every one of the noclip docs are incredible and this one is cool unfortunately randy pitchford appears in it but there's a surprising guest appearance in the pope himself

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Why I gave Half Life Alphas to the Pope.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

danny o dwyer released a half life documentary in noclip. every one of the noclip docs are incredible and this one is cool unfortunately randy pitchford appears in it but there's a surprising guest appearance in the pope himself

ooh i need to watch this

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I hear Drew's patreon has taken a sizeable hit these last couple of months

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't really like cloth map that much. Like hey, did you know in Brazil they hack consoles? Insane stuff

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Cloth map would be awesome as a regular travel vlog show, but crowbar-ing videogame poo poo into every episode makes it feel super pandering.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

Cloth map would be awesome as a regular travel vlog show, but crowbar-ing videogame poo poo into every episode makes it feel super pandering.

It feels like it should be either A. a regular travel vlog that touches on games among other normal travel things or B. a more informative show about gaming in different cultures minus the personal traveling part. Right now it honestly feels like a weird VICE spinoff where a dude travels across the globe and is like “hey I want to learn more about your culture but only this one specific thing about it”

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

ArfJason posted:

this owns btw

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

this owns btw

its really great and now im gonna watch their other docs

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It feels like it should be either A. a regular travel vlog that touches on games among other normal travel things or B. a more informative show about gaming in different cultures minus the personal traveling part. Right now it honestly feels like a weird VICE spinoff where a dude travels across the globe and is like “hey I want to learn more about your culture but only this one specific thing about it”

It should be B because there are a million travelogues and excellent documentaries already in existence and the only reason people care about Drew is the giant bomb connection, but I'm not sure that B would be an interesting product if it's Drew providing like Wikipedia information about gaming in Brazil from his apartment in San Francisco or whatever

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I’m not sure if it’s just coincidence, but Drew leaving is right around when I drastically stopped paying attention to GB in general.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Only miscreants care about travelogues

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

*climbing to the summit of K2* Omg, its the legendary Far Cry 3

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RIP Drew pouring one out

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

I’m not sure if it’s just coincidence, but Drew leaving is right around when I drastically stopped paying attention to GB in general.

That combined with Dan moving east killed the west crew and they haven't recovered since

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Austin murdered giant bomb west and his own career in one brilliant stroke

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, I'm checking it less and less. I trace my declining interest to the new hires. Hiring new people should've been a shot in the arm for the site, but honestly I think they botched it. Nothing personal against Ben and Abby, but I don't think they were the right people. Abby isn't especially funny or well-informed, and Ben... Jeff is a smart guy, but sometimes I wonder what the hell he was thinking when he hired Ben to be part of a site that's "personality-driven."

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I've liked Abby in literally everything but last year's GOTY. The site could use another 4 of her.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

abby is cool, idk what happened to her in the gotys

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

She's just not a game critic.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Abby is fine, Ben is low energy and him plus Brad and Rorie (who they still bring on to things for some reason even though nobody in the audience likes him, I feel like they are just trolling the audience by just continually bringing him out at this point) ruins anything good that West tries to muster

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

imho they probably should have swung away from the “comedy/personality” focus and just hired interesting smart people. I cant listen to them talk about hotdogs and poo poo anymore

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

imho they probably should have swung away from the “comedy/personality” focus and just hired interesting smart people. I cant listen to them talk about hotdogs and poo poo anymore

The balance when Austin was there was godly bc he was both smart and personable and made everyone else talk about dumb poo poo and prodded them to remind people they actually knew what they were talking about ...I miss him

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

It's cool that it's 2018 and the West still makes "As you do" jokes

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Abby is cool and it's insane that people are still angry that she made a bad argument for the #10 spot in goty

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ben's comedy is okay but one of the things I really loved about Ryan was his ability to be funny while also directing a conversation into not actually talking about video games, like there's a reason all the best stuff in the 10 Year Bombcast had very little to do with the main stated purpose of the site

Ben is very good at quickly reacting to stuff that happens in a humorous dry manner but it feels like he needs things to happen around him to play off of and not much happens in West right now

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

Yeah, I skip the first 20 minutes of every Bombcast now. Five years ago I didn't. Nowadays when I listen to it I listen because I want to hear what's going on in video games, not what's going on in their lives.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

mp5 posted:

like there's a reason all the best stuff in the 10 Year Bombcast had very little to do with the main stated purpose of the site
That's because the non-gaming clips age better. Nobody today is eager to hear what Giant Bomb thinks of Uncharted 2, but in 2009 plenty of people did want to hear that.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Ryan actively wanted to get away from videogames and just be an entertaining show about whatever they wanted. He really was the best host the crew had.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I'm going to be honest. Neither 26 minutes nor 2 hours are quick.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

The balance when Austin was there was godly bc he was both smart and personable and made everyone else talk about dumb poo poo and prodded them to remind people they actually knew what they were talking about ...I miss him

He’s moved onto greener pastures, scoping out the hottest up-and-coming Super Smash Bros. genital mutilation fanfictions for his strung out rapist editors at Vice dot com

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Hes moved onto greener pastures, scoping out the hottest up-and-coming Super Smash Bros. genital mutilation fanfictions for his strung out rapist editors at Vice dot com

it's ok, hes making 45k a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I reached my breaking point today, where I unsubscribed from every podcast feed.