Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the best algorithm is a Human Gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

buy Star Citizen

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really Pants posted:

buy Star Citizen

A pre-order that is reaching Duke Nukem Forever levels of waiting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

if it wasn't for PUBG working with them in the early going, fortnite would've just been a tower defense game, and they'd be known more as a developer for abandoning paragon and unreal tournament. they had effort to go along with their luck but they were still loving lucky as poo poo.

(well that and using those internal discussions with the pubg developer to make their own pubg mode at the same time, which is why that lawsuit happened)

I'd like to see some sources that Fortnite BR came about through some kind of private discussions and not by just looking at the genre in general and going "Oh yeah let's make one of those". Most games that get so big are definitely there because of luck, but Epic has capitalized on that luck WAY more effectively than PUBG.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Wikipedia article for List of Sonic the Hedgehog video game characters is the most well-cited I’ve ever seen

quote:

E-102 Gamma (E-102ガンマ Ī-Ichi-Zero-Ni Ganma) also primarily appears in Sonic Adventure. He is a red, bulky robot[43] with a powerful gun built into his arm.[44] Gamma turns against his master after a heartfelt conversation with Amy Rose, who becomes his friend.[45][46] He offers shoot-'em-up gameplay to a largely platforming-focused game.[47] Gamma later appears as a playable character in Sonic Battle. He has garnered mixed comments from critics.[48] While Xbox World generally commended his story,[49] others criticized the slow and repetitive nature of his gameplay.[50][51][52]

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
While looking for something else I found one of those early Beyond Good & Evil interviews where the game they described was much closer to what they've recently shown for BG&E2 rather than what they actually made back then: https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/05/24/e3-2002-project-bge-interview

chumbler posted:

Speaking of indie games, the Gigabuster kickstarter's not going to make it. Only a couple days left and it's only at ~1/3 last I checked. Why can't the rest of the internet also want a new Mega Man Zero?

Can't speak for everyone but for me it's simply that I'm long past my kickstarter phase.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 12, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I never funded a single Kickstarter and every Kickstarter I DID want to fund and made their goals all never put the game out and folded after a few years

Seems like nobody wants to gamble money on vaporware anymore hmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder whyyyyyyy :thunk:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mutata posted:

I'd like to see some sources that Fortnite BR came about through some kind of private discussions and not by just looking at the genre in general and going "Oh yeah let's make one of those". Most games that get so big are definitely there because of luck, but Epic has capitalized on that luck WAY more effectively than PUBG.
It's not that they stole the idea but that they had insider knowledge that helped them develop a knockoff with competitive features, and then they rushed the game to market to beat PUBG to consoles, after initially using PUBG to advertise their engine in the first place. And Bluehole was specifically coming to Epic for engine support so that they could get to consoles, so it was basically like "oh you want to do that? well what if we also do that but we do it first?".

Wikipedia posted:

This release, which beat out Battlegrounds to consoles, caused some concern with Battlegrounds developer Bluehole, as they had been working closely with Epic for Unreal engine support in Battlegrounds, and were worried that Fortnite might be able to include planned features to their Battle Royale mode before they could release those in Battlegrounds.

International Business Times posted:

"We've had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG's development as they are the creators of UE4, the engine we licensed for the game," said Chang Han Kim, vice president and executive producer for Bluehole Inc, the team behind the shooter.

"After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known."

The statement comes after Greene (also known as PlayerUnknown) partook in a Reddit Q&A and answered a question about Fortnite Battle Royale. He said: "Other companies will, of course, enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game mode and not just make a carbon copy!"
I had played the initial BR version of Fortnite because I was already in the Save the World beta for a while and that initial version was very clearly rushed to beat Bluehole to the punch. It was nowhere near the level of polish and care that the game has now.

There's some irony in all of this because Battlegrounds started as a mod before becoming a full game, and Fortnite BR felt similarly like a quickly-made mod for Save the World, before blowing up and becoming the official brand.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 12, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fortnite has polish?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Black August posted:

I never funded a single Kickstarter and every Kickstarter I DID want to fund and made their goals all never put the game out and folded after a few years

Seems like nobody wants to gamble money on vaporware anymore hmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder whyyyyyyy :thunk:

Pick better. I've kick-started over 30 different projects and only 1 has failed to deliver. No excuse for mismanaged projects, but some research has to be done.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Fortnite has polish?
as far at battle royale games go, its by the far the most polished. read into that what you want lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Microcline posted:

The dev who made Defender's Quest did a pretty decent write-up of why making a Steam competitor is hard

https://www.fortressofdoors.com/so-you-want-to-compete-with-steam/

Essentially you have to have deep enough pockets to bribe users to use your system (and consider that people still buy games on Steam despite being able to buy the keys on GMG for about 15-25% off) and bribe developers to put content on it (the best and most expensive being exclusive content).

The scenario we're already seeing is big publishers creating their own walled garden and subscription services and Steam correspondingly lowering the cut they take and increasing the exposure they give to these publishers.

Indies have a bigger problem than Steam, which is that they're close to an ideal market (low barriers to entry due to small development and marketing budgets, a massive number of competitors because everyone wants to make a game, low information asymmetry due to refunds) and that makes it very difficult to profit.

yeah, valve is essentially a monopsony

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

as far at battle royale games go, its by the far the most polished. read into that what you want lmao

What about BLOPSIIII.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Fortnite has polish?
Waaaaay more polish than it had at launch. The aesthetic had not even fully been nailed down yet, and the map was still being essentially publicly playtested and there was no real weapon balancing at all, because they were grafting BR onto a co-op tower defense fps rpg

of course PUBG isn't exactly a looker either

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 12, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:thunk:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

What about BLOPSIIII.
its #2 or 3, but I haven't played that much of it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

incelus orientalis, thats my latin name

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

"ironic"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PUBG looks and plays like a 360 game from 2010 so I don't see why Epic would ever use it to advertise UE4.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'll say this about Fortnite, as someone who isn't interested in playing it at all: it has really really really good marketing. The trailer at the Game Awards for the ice... thing was very fun even if I don't want to actually play the game. The thing where objects from the game's map were being teleported out of the game and being put into the real world is such a fun thing. They know what they're doing when it comes to marketing the game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Pick better. I've kick-started over 30 different projects and only 1 has failed to deliver. No excuse for mismanaged projects, but some research has to be done.

Nah I’m happier watching them burn and sifting through the ashes for the ones that succeed and release something six years after their promised release date, and THEN buying it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

PUBG looks and plays like a 360 game from 2010 so I don't see why Epic would ever use it to advertise UE4.
mostly because it was ridiculously successful for a PC game when it launched

there's a lot of ugly poo poo made in UE regardless, but that will happen when you're the most used middleware engine

i feel like you could make a vaguely but not actually that interesting quiz show called "UE or Unity" because I think people's predispositions would lead them to answering incorrectly a lot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there is one thing that is kind of cool about fortnite and that is that they're constantly changing it, and not like for the better or necessarily for the worse, just loving it up and making it weird. like for a couple weeks there will just be a loving cube rolling around the world destroying things, and fighting near the cube gives you certain advantages, and then cube rolled into the lake and turned it into bouncy jello, before ultimately enchanting the island and making it float into the sky, and also certain areas that the cube rolled over are now cursed with shadow energy and make you temporarily invisible, and then the island broke into pieces and the pieces started slowly flying over the map, and now half the map is covered in snow and there are airplanes.

people are always talking bullshit about Games As A Service, but fortnite is the only game that justifies it with how often and how weirdly they update it

like what the gently caress is this poo poo, its so dumb but its going to be part of the game for a few weeks lmao
https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1072621959672942597

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Black August posted:

Nah I’m happier watching them burn and sifting through the ashes for the ones that succeed and release something six years after their promised release date, and THEN buying it
Again, pick better.

Just a couple weeks ago, i got a surprise steam key from a project I thought had died 2 years ago. Turns out, it's super loving dope and has a ton of love put into by 2 people.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/419130/Strength_of_the_Sword_ULTIMATE/

You can feel the love they put into the game, and that's why you should keep backing. So these kind of games can get made.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

there is one thing that is kind of cool about fortnite and that is that they're constantly changing it, and not like for the better or necessarily for the worse, just loving it up and making it weird. like for a couple weeks there will just be a loving cube rolling around the world destroying things, and fighting near the cube gives you certain advantages, and then cube rolled into the lake and turned it into bouncy jello, before ultimately enchanting the island and making it float into the sky, and also certain areas that the cube rolled over are now cursed with shadow energy and make you temporarily invisible, and then the island broke into pieces and the pieces started slowly flying over the map, and now half the map is covered in snow and there are airplanes.

people are always talking bullshit about Games As A Service, but fortnite is the only game that justifies it with how often and how weirdly they update it

like what the gently caress is this poo poo, its so dumb but its going to be part of the game for a few weeks lmao

nothing in that clip is as insane as the people whining about the sanctity of esports in the replies

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it kind of sucks for a competitive game that one player out of one hundred gets a special sword that allows them to play a completely different game than the other 99

but then, taking fortnite seriously as a competitive game is lmao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

homeless snail posted:

This is what I'm talkin about, it's cool that they are doing constantly doing things like this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's the kind of stuff that would make me never play the game, but fortnite isn't for me. So it's cool that they just do whateve r the gently caress they want with it all the time

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

How fast do you have to work to reach God Level

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

homeless snail posted:

they added the demoknight to fortnight

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They've realized esports is actually kind of a load and at most just advertisement, and for player retention making frequent noticeable changes matters more. People are going to come back for a monthly thing that drastically changes a game or buffs something they like more than a biweekly notepad document of +1 damage to something, -1 to something else. Balance is an illusion, people only care about avoiding boredom.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, I've had a similar track record too. I think part of that is adventure games seem to have a strong success rate and that's what I mostly backed alongside RPGs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

They've realized esports is actually kind of a load and at most just advertisement, and for player retention making frequent noticeable changes matters more. People are going to come back for a monthly thing that drastically changes a game or buffs something they like more than a biweekly notepad document of +1 damage to something, -1 to something else. Balance is an illusion, people only care about avoiding boredom.
I like +1/-1 patches, but fortnite is a kids game and kids probably go nuts over this poo poo on the playground (and then bug their parents for vbucks)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-_dsTlosI

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That Street Fighter 5 in-game advertising stuff is really crappy.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I've learned the top DMC4 speedrun is done entirely on a keyboard. A little hosed up if you ask me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i played through dmc4 on keyboard back in the day because the original steam release didn't have mouse support

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also if the argument "a steam competitor is going to be hard to develop because you need tons of cash to pay out to indies and studios and publishers to get them away from the currently existing platform" pretty sure the company riding the whales from the most popular video game created since minecraft are gonna be the ones with a legitimate shot at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I've learned the top DMC4 speedrun is done entirely on a keyboard. A little hosed up if you ask me.

KBAM thank you ma'am