Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
An episode in which I learned Doc Savage wasn't a real person/the name of the author but the main character of a series.

Doc Friedman and Collison (sic) really liked this book because it's fun and stupid.

SirSlarty fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You might want to fix that link.

It'll be a while before I can listen to the episode, but I want to say that I had a good groan at the Fear joke in the description.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I just got to the part where they talk about Doc Savage's Lobotomy Hut. Holy poo poo that's terrifying. Paid by the word, I guess.

Also that structure they read off is essentially every Dresden Files book if you've have the misfortune of reading any of that trash.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really liked the deeper dive they made on the author in this one. Made me want a dedicated pulp fiction podcast, either one where they systematically go through more popular authors or a pulp roulette kind of show where they’d randomly have to review a public domain pulp short story every episode. I don’t think it’d work with J and Chris as the hosts but someone could do it. I know there’s dedicated Lovecraft and REH podcasts but I’d like a more general pulp show.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Nicholas Sparks episode. :toot:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Highly disappointed Clsn doesn’t know about whistle tips or the sound the make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

Edit: of course when I’m done posting this I hit play and J splices it in, oh well!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Highly disappointed Clsn doesn’t know about whistle tips or the sound the make
What the hell

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I will never not smile when the Gorilla Biscuits come up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Extremely amused at Jay getting mad about cooking before describing the exact opposite way to oven cook a steak

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Honestly this episode was too heavy on the digressions, I never really got a sense of what made this particular book bad, they just rambled about a dozen other things instead.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
But it wasn't a particular bad book. It was only a bad book if you don't think older folks should be allowed to have physical relationships. Or if you need those detailed to you in voyeuristic detail.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But it wasn't a particular bad book. It was only a bad book if you don't think older folks should be allowed to have physical relationships. Or if you need those detailed to you in voyeuristic detail.

Jay and CLSN have frequently talked about how they don't like reviewers who "reject the premise." In other words, judge a book on what it's trying to do, don't just mock it because you don't like what it was trying to do. So there wasn't any hatred towards a cheesy romance novel, but they still made fun of the poor craftsmanship.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i love heavy digression episodes, the bad book is just an excuse to hear jay and collision talk for an hour as far as i'm concerned

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i love heavy digression episodes, the bad book is just an excuse to hear jay and collision talk for an hour as far as i'm concerned

Same tbh, friends having fun is why I listen to podcasts after all.

That and I'm lonely as balls :sadpeanut:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ageofbob posted:

:same:

:smith::hf::smith:

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Brother Entropy posted:

same. they also led to "Dean Koontz Shovel Chasers", which is one of the few times IDEOTV has gotten a belly laugh from me.

also, from the description it sounds like they are finally doing a Stephen King book for the next episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Apes-Ma posted:

same. they also led to "Dean Koontz Shovel Chasers", which is one of the few times IDEOTV has gotten a belly laugh from me.

also, from the description it sounds like they are finally doing a Stephen King book for the next episode.

Oh poo poo is it Pet Semetary? My guess was going to be Louis Sachar’s Holes, which is the first shovel-heavy book I pulled off the top of my head.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Louis Sachar’s Holes

X-Ray Pecs posted:

shovel-heavy
I really hope they don't try to put one of those things into the other :ohdear:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
If they are mean about Holes, I will put them on the nineteenth floor with Miss Zarves.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If they are mean about Holes, I will put them on the nineteenth floor with Miss Zarves.

but

there is no Miss Zarves

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

but

there is no Miss Zarves

Correct response!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I understand this reference.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That math puzzle book was rough.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoctorWhat posted:

but

there is no Miss Zarves

There's no nineteenth floor so

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

That math puzzle book was rough.

I read it, but read around the math problems because gently caress that poo poo.

I spent most of last year trying to convince kids to take out Someday, Angeline and now they're eating peanut butter and Jello for lunch. :3:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The shovel-related Stephen King book it's going to be is Lisey's Story.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:getin:

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2018/12/23/122-pet-sematary/

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's no nineteenth floor so

Once again, the builders were very sorry.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Len derail is going to be with me all drat day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think The Czar of Fear might be the first book that I actually want to read after an IDEOT episode on it

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Ageofbob posted:

me too...I miss having friends.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just emailed the guys about a book that is bad. Fingers crossed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If anyone is curious about Trigger Warning, the vile conservative wank-fantasy that J and Chris have adamantly refused to read, Jenny Nicholson did a fun video on it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
My parents became Parrot Heads a while back and I am champing at the bit to hear Buffet be savaged relentlessly and hopefully have one insensitive statement made thirty years ago be dredged up to infuriate Friedman.

Edit: Ah, there it is. (Obviously the Confederate apologia is disgusting and terrible. But I'm always baffled that Friedman is incensed enough to tear into a book but doesn't find an inclusion like this, or a previous action of its authorship to disqualify it from being the subject of light comic ribbing.)

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 22, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It was a while into the podcast when I realized that the whole family wasn't composed of pigs on a surreal adventure. Barley and Maple certainly didn't help.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

It was a while into the podcast when I realized that the whole family wasn't composed of pigs on a surreal adventure. Barley and Maple certainly didn't help.

100% same

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"If I had two tickets to paradise, my plus-one would probably be a cheeseburger," he casually says to his ostensible friend. Cold enough to freeze the Caribbean.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
This week’s episode is When Thief Meets Thief, a wacko pulp book by a man that inspired one of the best Futurama episodes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Keeler rules; looking forward to this. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Collision actually making an effort to finish the plot in 60 under threat has improved the episodes a not-insignificant amount.