Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Looking for a good recipe and method for roasted duck. I usually just bring it to room temp and cover with salt and pepper and it's worked in the past but want to try something different this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If someone asks for a waffle iron for Christmas, do I default to Belgian or American style?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If someone asks for a waffle iron for Christmas, do I default to Belgian or American style?

I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know that if you go to slickdeals and search for "waffle" you'll find a surprising number of waffle irons of various sizes, styles, and price ranges, which may be of interest.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

I would think about the number of people they are cooking for. American-style waffles seem to be easier to split up between multiple plates, while Belgian-style always struck me as one giant waffle per plate. That's arbitrary, though, if you see a novelty wafflemaker that you know will tickle their fancy, go for it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Anyone got any good recipe blog recommendations? Looking to add some more to my rotation, serious eats is running dry for me

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Someone left ~20-30lbs of perfectly ripe kiwis on my doorstep. I love eating kiwis, but there's no way I can get through these before they go bad. A quick internet search suggested jam or chutney, but does anyone have good recipes? I guess I could always just blend and freeze them and figure out what to do with them later. What else can I do with this many foundling kiwifruit?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
My mashed potatoes sometimes have a silty texture that coats my mouth. Does anyone know what causes this? What I put in them is butter, canola oil, truffle oil, hot milk and parmesan.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

My mashed potatoes sometimes have a silty texture that coats my mouth. Does anyone know what causes this? What I put in them is butter, canola oil, truffle oil, hot milk and parmesan.

https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/cooking-questions-tips#gluey-mashed-potatoes posted:

Gluey mashed potatoes are more than just unfortunate—they're usually a lost cause. Overcooked or insufficiently drained potatoes can become sticky, as can the wrong kind of potato. But the main problem is overworked spuds. The science is simple: Boiled potatoes develop swollen starch cells. When ruptured during mashing, the cells release starch. The more cells are ruptured, the gummier the mashed potatoes. So if you use an electric mixer or food processor to mash your potatoes, you'll probably beat them mercilessly and end up with wallpaper paste. Instead, use a potato masher, or even better, pass the potatoes through a ricer or food mill before mixing them with butter and hot milk—these devices are gentler on the starch cells, and they'll also prevent lumps.

Or you could try retrograding the starch, if you have a sous vide machine.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The Glumslinger posted:

Anyone got any good recipe blog recommendations? Looking to add some more to my rotation, serious eats is running dry for me

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/
https://honest-food.net/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hong Kong egg style.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You know, in the ten years we’ve been married, I never knew you were also on SomethingAwful. I don’t mind what type of waffle iron, it’s the thought that counts

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I want this to be real.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Glumslinger posted:

Any specific cuisine you're interested in? Serious Eats is the only generalist one I use.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Glumslinger posted:

http://chinasichuanfood.com
http://thewoksoflife.com
https://minimalistbaker.com
http://www.picklesnhoney.com (kind of, uh, lifestyle-y sometimes, but good recipes)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

The Glumslinger posted:

I used to like The Kitchn but half the posts these days seem to be sponsored press releases about celebrity chefs. It has a pretty decent archive at least. The commentors are ruthless so it's easy to tell if a recipe is a keeper or not.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Rasa Malaysia is good for general Asian food. Zsuzsa is in the Kitchen is good for Ukrainian (I think? from memory) food. Maangchi, Cooking with Dog, Hungarian Kitchen, Turmeric & Saffron, GeorgianRecipes, Natasha's Kitchen, FoodWishes, Smitten Kitchen, AllNigerianRecipes, ChefSteps, the list goes on. Don't forget the GWS wiki!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Everyday Food with Sarah Carey, she makes some tasty and very approachable meals.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The recipes on this site are pretty close to what I ate in Sichuan, but I'd recommend always at least doubling the spice/aromatic components to get something more authentic. I think she's cranking it down out of a misguided "foreigners can't handle our food" thing.

justonecookbook.com is my go-to starting place for Japanese these days. justhungry.com is also good but isn't updated anymore. I believe the first one is from Osaka and the second is from Tokyo, and those two regions cook things somewhat differently so it's interesting to compare.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The recipe I follow for my red beans and rice is pretty good, but one problem I seem to consistently have is that I can't get the beans right. I either add all the stuff to the beans too early, and they're undercooked, or too late and then everything burns (and half the beans are still undercooked) (problem is the recipe I use is really vague in bean cooking time). I soak my beans at least 8 hours, do I need to soak them longer? I add more water when I cook them longer, do I need to add even more water?

Maybe I should get a pressure cooker? But I have a storage room problems in my place already.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 13, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

The recipe I follow for my red beans and rice is pretty good, but one problem I seem to consistently have is that I can't get the beans right. I either add all the stuff to the beans too early, and they're undercooked, or too late and then everything burns (and half the beans are still undercooked) (problem is the recipe I use is really vague in bean cooking time). I soak my beans at least 8 hours, do I need to soak them longer? I add more water when I cook them longer, do I need to add even more water?

Maybe I should get a pressure cooker? But I have a storage room problems in my place already.

Are you using red kidney beans, or small red beans? When are you adding salt?

Honestly I think that there's so much variation within the dried bean supply chain that it throws a lot of recipes off. In this situation where the recipe is vague about cooking time, I'd start the beans cooking, and keep spooning a couple out every now and then to sample them. Don't be afraid to keep adding more water to the pot to keep them from burning if they need to go longer. Always keep the level of the liquid above the level of the beans. And don't add salt until the end - some beans toughen up when salted.

Personally, I soak my beans overnight. If I'm making a bean dish tomorrow, I'll put them on to soak just after dinner on the day before.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Weltlich posted:

Are you using red kidney beans, or small red beans? When are you adding salt?

Honestly I think that there's so much variation within the dried bean supply chain that it throws a lot of recipes off. In this situation where the recipe is vague about cooking time, I'd start the beans cooking, and keep spooning a couple out every now and then to sample them. Don't be afraid to keep adding more water to the pot to keep them from burning if they need to go longer. Always keep the level of the liquid above the level of the beans. And don't add salt until the end - some beans toughen up when salted.

Personally, I soak my beans overnight. If I'm making a bean dish tomorrow, I'll put them on to soak just after dinner on the day before.

Ah, that might be the problem. I started salting in the second hour. My first problem with the recipe was that it was too salty (it advises using Tony's Cajun spice mix but it's almost all spice, so I can't get the dish as spicy as I want using that without making it too salty, I learned, so I went to using separate pepper/cayenne and salt), so I decided to start adding it little by little earlier to try and get to where I want.

Oh and I'm using red kidney beans.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Rick posted:

Ah, that might be the problem. I started salting in the second hour. My first problem with the recipe was that it was too salty (it advises using Tony's Cajun spice mix but it's almost all spice, so I can't get the dish as spicy as I want using that without making it too salty, I learned, so I went to using separate pepper/cayenne and salt), so I decided to start adding it little by little earlier to try and get to where I want.

Oh and I'm using red kidney beans.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe.html

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Anyone have some go to weeknight recipes? I'm graduating, which means no more night classes, which also means I'll be cooking dinner again. Looking for recipes that I can prepare parts of in advance, and sous vide is a bonus.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Preferred cuisine? I'm assuming you don't have a stocked pantry yet.

Pizza night - make dough the day ahead for better flavor. Sauce is 2 Tbsp tomato paste + 1/2 cup onion or shallot + 2 smashed garlic cloves softened then 28 oz canned tomatoes and desired herbs. Parcook any meat or sliced veggies before assembling. Bake highest oven temperature you can get, for me it's 550 for 8 minutes on a preheated steel. Stone is fine, cast iron skillet too. Parchment is your friend.

Stir fry - anything you want, cooked one or two ingredients at a time in a super hot wok. Protein dredged in cornstarch before shallow frying. After other components are ready and wok is hot again, add any combination of soy sauce, fish sauce, toasted sesame oil, garlic, ginger, chiles, gochujang, black bean paste, rice wine vinegar, Chinese black vinegar, miso, sugars. After just a minute, dump everything else back in to reheat. Serve over rice with any of: scallions, roasted peanuts, toasted coconut chips, sesame seeds, sriracha. Take notes if you care about reproducing later, or just wing it. Taste and adjust for acid, salt and heat.

Oven baked butternut squash risotto - I'll dig up the recipe if it sounds good to you.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

Anyone have some go to weeknight recipes? I'm graduating, which means no more night classes, which also means I'll be cooking dinner again. Looking for recipes that I can prepare parts of in advance, and sous vide is a bonus.

Most things you would cook sous vide (with the most notable exception being eggs) can be vacuum sealed and frozen, then put strait from the freezer into the water bath.
There are some vegetables that would really need to be blanched first, but for meats you just have to give them a bit of extra time to account for the thawing process.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have like 6 or 8 pounds of carrots and I want to use them up this weekend. I’ve heard SV is good, what else can I make? any meal is fine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just cut them into sticks and roast them. If you asked me if I could eat 3 raw carrots I would think you were out of your mind, but roasted they just disappear

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I have like 6 or 8 pounds of carrots and I want to use them up this weekend. I’ve heard SV is good, what else can I make? any meal is fine.

There are some desert-y carrot casseroles that are pretty solid.
If you have a dehydrator, you can get it into small pieces and have an instant add-in for soups.
If you get a sack of onions and some celery you could make a huge quantity of mirepoix and freeze it in mason jars or freezer bags.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Lawnie posted:

Gajar ka halwa is easy and delicious

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawnie posted:

Potage Crécy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lawnie posted:

I love me some curry carrot soup, especially in the winter.

Cut your carrots plus some onion into rough chunks, and cover with broth/stock. Simmer until they get nice and soft. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, and whatever else suits you. Stick that in a blender or, if you're lucky and own an immersion blender (HELLO SANTA ARE YOU READING THIS), purée it until smooth while adding a can of coconut cream. Add more stock or milk if it's too thick, to get your desired velvety consistency. Orange juice works a treat too, if you're looking for a little more fruity/acidity. Season to taste, etc. I like a little dollop of sour cream as a garnish.

Sorry I don't have a proper recipe, I just kinda wing that when I'm in the mood for it. (That's why I love making soup, it's so forgiving.)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I love me some curry carrot soup, especially in the winter.

Cut your carrots plus some onion into rough chunks, and cover with broth/stock. Simmer until they get nice and soft. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, and whatever else suits you. Stick that in a blender or, if you're lucky and own an immersion blender (HELLO SANTA ARE YOU READING THIS), purée it until smooth while adding a can of coconut cream. Add more stock or milk if it's too thick, to get your desired velvety consistency. Orange juice works a treat too, if you're looking for a little more fruity/acidity. Season to taste, etc. I like a little dollop of sour cream as a garnish.

Sorry I don't have a proper recipe, I just kinda wing that when I'm in the mood for it. (That's why I love making soup, it's so forgiving.)

Soup sounds great, I’ll whip up something along these lines, then try SV on the pound of multicolored carrots I have tomorrow. Thanks all.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

DasNeonLicht posted:

When people cook stews that involve sweating and cooking down vegetables, do you guys do it according to time? Or do you wait until most of the water has cooked off before you move to the next step?

I have this idea that I should cook the water off to get a little bit of a fond each time before moving on to the next step, but my tendency is to overdo things, and that most of the things I cook end up being on the heavy side flavor-wise.

I've never found time to be a reliable way to measure "doneness" when sweating or sautéing vegetables, any more than roasting meat. It's something I've always had to do by sight.

If I'm sautéing vegetables, I usually just go long enough that the vegetables are tender and the onions translucent, and not swimming in water. I'll get fond if the recipe calls for it, or if the recipe calls for a lot of browning meat and the like, but if the dish is lighter in color or flavor then huge amounts of fond aren't always desired.

I do the same with sweating (that is, cooking covered over low-ish heat until the juices come out, then evaporating as necessary) unless the recipe calls for all the juice to be added to the recipe, but I've only seen a couple of (broth) recipes that call for that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Carrot cake

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Make a ton of carrot latkes and then freeze them.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Lots of pasta recipes mix fat with pasta water to make a creamy sauce: Cacio E Pepe, Fettuccine Alfredo, Carbonara, etc. Can I do the same thing with pesto?

When I don't have time to cook, I just boil spaghetti and toss it with store bought pesto. Would there be any advantage to mixing the pesto, pasta, and pasta water in the skillet?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

yes

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Invisible Ted posted:

After a long day where I want to destress with cooking but also not take too long I always reach to sous vide chicken breasts. Usually pan fry quickly after to make a sauce with whatever I have in the fridge. Salad, wild rice or pilaf, mashed potatoes, & broiled asparagus are my go to sides.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bagheera posted:

Lots of pasta recipes mix fat with pasta water to make a creamy sauce: Cacio E Pepe, Fettuccine Alfredo, Carbonara, etc. Can I do the same thing with pesto?

When I don't have time to cook, I just boil spaghetti and toss it with store bought pesto. Would there be any advantage to mixing the pesto, pasta, and pasta water in the skillet?
In my experience you absolutely should do this because shop bought pesto is pretty dry and clumpy and doesn't properly coat pasta properly unless mixed and stirred with water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also you should just make your own pesto because it’s easy and loving delicious. :)