Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is Macron still in hiding? A pathetic show of leadership in a time of crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
And there we go, the usual fuckers are calling for a stop of the movement.
(might be behind a paywall)

https://www.arretsurimages.net/chroniques/le-matinaute/alors-vous-enlevez-le-gilet posted:

"Alors, vous l'enlevez, le gilet ?" Macron a à peine disparu des écrans, que les envoyés spéciaux se précipitent sur les rond-points. Là , maintenant, tout de suite, il faut délivrer son verdict, trancher, alors, oui ou non, vous repliez les tentes ?

A peine la diffusion de l'intervention terminée (elle était en différé, les rédactions ont donc pu la visionner avant tout le monde), les éditocrates, eux, ont tranché. Il y a du lourd, du substantiel, c'est un tournant, un virage, un acte deux, on ne voit pas pourquoi ils ne les enlèveraient pas, leurs gilets, il est temps de sortir de la "séquence", de passer à autre chose.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flayer posted:

Is Macron still in hiding? A pathetic show of leadership in a time of crisis.

You've got to remember that he's competing with Theresa May's stunning display of cowardice.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Llyd posted:

And there we go, the usual fuckers are calling for a stop of the movement.
(might be behind a paywall)

Pour celleux qui n'auraient pas d'abonnement @SI, l'article contient ce tweet criminel d'Apathie

Mais la palme de la plus grosse merde de France revient aujourd'hui à Kakassowitz, pour La Haine (des pauvres)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They've gone back to open contempt in less than a day

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

They've gone back to open contempt in less than a day
They were scared as gently caress. They need something to feel in charge again. Contempt is their way to do it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

Mais la palme de la plus grosse merde de France revient aujourd'hui à Kakassowitz, pour La Haine (des pauvres)

lmao what a turd

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hi, I’ve read in a few places about how macron thinks he’s a god. What’s this about and/or is it like a selected sound bite/taken out of context or something?

It’s kinda weird because up until last week I thought macron was “one of the good ones.” But my only exposure to him was him courting scientists which seems great to me. Also he fought trump’s stupid handshake and won, also a plus in my book. Why’s he considered a terrible leader?

(Just trying to educate myself but I don’t know your media so I don’t want to accidentally read some right wing conspiracy fake news website, like French Breitbart, and not know any better.)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hi, I’ve read in a few places about how macron thinks he’s a god. What’s this about and/or is it like a selected sound bite/taken out of context or something?

He compared himself to Jupiter once. I think in a book?

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s kinda weird because up until last week I thought macron was “one of the good ones.” But my only exposure to him was him courting scientists which seems great to me. Also he fought trump’s stupid handshake and won, also a plus in my book. Why’s he considered a terrible leader?

There are too many things to list (I'm phoneposting) but for a partial answer: keep in mind that he's only "good" compared to the likes of Trump. A turd versus a pile of toxic waste, to be blunt.

As for the scientists, that was a cheap publicity stunt, nothing more. He's been actively cutting funding to public research institutions at the same time.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, he's "a good one" mainly because he wasn't caught stealing and was running against a nazi.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Kassad posted:

He compared himself to Jupiter once. I think in a book?

He said in an interview during the presidential campaign, in order to distance himself from former "Normal President" François Hollande, that he wanted to be a "Jupiterian President", which is as pretentious as it sounds.

Otherwise, he ain't terrible like Trump, but he is not good either. He is yet another "There is no alternative" elitist technocrat, though he's good at international publicity - promoting the environment while not giving a poo poo about it, as mentioned promoting public research while gutting it...
The clubbing of protesters, police brutality, increased surveillance, etc. is just run of the mill French politics, as it has been the same for the last 20+ years. Alternating governments did not change much about it, which is - ironically - also why Macron won the elections: his party's campaign motto was basically "I'm not like the old parties! We want change!" while the program was actually "More of the same!"
That, plus his adversaries where either Male Thatcher or Female Trump.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 11, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Take a page from Argentina and go with secret option number 4: Que se vayan todos!

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

My only question so far is when do we get to take the bourgeoisie to the guillotine?
:thermidor:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just the 0.1% would be enough, honestly.

And meanwhile, what looks like a terror attack in Strasbourg, because of course.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Wow I didn’t think Castaner was so keen to divert attention from the GJs that he’d shoot up downtown Strasbourg

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Citation needed but

quote:

22h50: Le tireur devait être interpellé mardi matin par les gendarmes
Le suspect, fiché S, connu pour «des faits de droit commun», devrait être interpellé mardi matin par les gendarmes, indique une source proche du dossier à l'AF

they're gonna blame the gj

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Seems like another local got fed up with the Christmas market tourists!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think I was there a few years ago, although not during Christmas. It's right in front of the big cathedral, right? :smith:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

ridiculous to attribute it to the gilets jaunes

s'il etait un gj, il aurait frappé une mosquée

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Gonna give the French security state a good excuse for a big crackdown regardless of who did it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mila kunis posted:

Gonna give the French security state a good excuse for a big crackdown regardless of who did it

If you thibk about it macron is building the police state appararus that will be inherited by someone who is actually batshit and not macron-bot2.44

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Boris Galerkin posted:

(Just trying to educate myself but I don’t know your media so I don’t want to accidentally read some right wing conspiracy fake news website, like French Breitbart, and not know any better.)

My favourite Macron scandal: One of his senior advisors had a habit of wearing a fake riot police uniform and going out on the streets with the real police to bash protesters in the face. This was perfectly acceptable to the police and for his boss. He was caught on video and called out on it and it took several days for him to get the axe.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sulphagnist posted:

My favourite Macron scandal: One of his senior advisors had a habit of wearing a fake riot police uniform and going out on the streets with the real police to bash protesters in the face. This was perfectly acceptable to the police and for his boss. He was caught on video and called out on it and it took several days for him to get the axe.

The situation is so stupid its hilarious i mean there is no prcedent for that.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think I was there a few years ago, although not during Christmas. It's right in front of the big cathedral, right? :smith:

Yeah like 200 m away, the center is quite compact. Feels weird when poo poo like that happens where you've lived for years, your friends and fiancee getting confined for hours in bars, restaurants and shopping malls - I mean there were security controls for the Christmas market but we would joke about them being useless, nobody would bother attacking our small city, etc. Though you can never completely prevent the lone gunman I guess.
Aaaaand people are already either talking about a big government conspiracy, or blaming the GJ, or jumping on the anti-islam/laxiste bandwagon. What a bunch of idiots :downs:
Sorry for venting :v:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 12, 2018

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's even got the islamist prayer scar on the forehead.

who could have seen it coming

e:
https://twitter.com/marthyNR2/status/1072584301424898048

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 12, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
La répression policière, c'est pas sorcier

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1073114951055785984

Maybe you don't get to decide when people protest against you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wow that is shameless. :psyduck:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Exactly my thought. I hope there is a loving RIOT.

we could have both the left AND the nationalists in the streets at the same time
:eyepop:

(check the date on that post)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

unpacked robinhood posted:

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1073114951055785984

Maybe you don't get to decide when people protest against you.

Ran this through Google Translate:

The government has "at this stage not decided to ban the protests" of "yellow vests" coming Saturday, but calls to be "reasonable" after the attack in Strasbourg and "not to demonstrate," says B. Griveaux, government spokesman.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, that's it. Government of right-wing shits calls for protesters to be "reasonable" and go away :monocle:

Would probably have more teeth if they hadn't already sent riot police to shoot old ladies in the face and humiliate high school kids. What are they gonna do, maim more people?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh wait, some police officers chanced upon the guy, he drew on them and they shot him dead.

There's no more reason for protests not to go ahead, now is there.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

There's no more reason for protests not to go ahead, now is there.
"But it will hurt the economy and my feelings..." - A macronist.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Just following the protest from afar. Is there consensus on what the protesters want? Is there a way to rank the demands based on the popularity?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

tino posted:

Just following the protest from afar. Is there consensus on what the protesters want? Is there a way to rank the demands based on the popularity?

1. Macron resign
2. Worker right
3. Nationalise certain industries
4. Migrant bad

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

LeoMarr posted:

1. Macron resign
2. Worker right
3. Nationalise certain industries
4. Migrant bad

Thank you, so Brexit like demand is not high on the agenda?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Nah, they don't really say much about the EU (that I've noticed). It's pretty much all about domestic politics.

Also, you can add "tax the rich (again)" towards the top of that list.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The EU will be high on their agenda sometime around point 2 and 3 (assuming they ever get that far).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

tino posted:

Nah Not by the french mainstream, id say most french are deadset on some combo of some of the points i listed maybe 2 of the 4 depending on industry. We wont see brexit type stuff in france unless an authortarian took power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

tino posted:

People in France will blame the rise of cost of life on the Euro quite easily but at the same time will tell you they don't want to quit the Eurozone. Brexit is the result of nearly 30 years of poo poo newspapers bitching about bent bananas and euro-sausages so we won't have that kind of Brexit demand in France before one or two generations.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 15, 2018