Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ruins holidays like Kevin Hart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
American cops loving love the alt right for anyone claiming they're not all bad

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose posted:

American cops loving love the alt right for anyone claiming they're not all bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHftejWSvU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

General Dog posted:

Just by virtue of living in this society, aren't we all complicit in the police's misdeeds?

People voted over and over for "tough on crime" and the result is we have so many laws with such harsh punishments that you could lock pretty much everyone up if there were enough enforcement resources to do so, so yeah kind of.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/truth_smiley/status/1072628084040437760?s=19

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MizPiz posted:

2016 did that

our timeline diverged from the real one in 2000, the shittiness of the alternate history writer has only grown more apparent over time.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paul ryan is alive, can raise his arms, never crashed a plane, etc

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Tunicate posted:

our timeline diverged from the real one in 2000, the shittiness of the alternate history writer has only grown more apparent over time.

harry turtledove wouldn't even write this bad.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Teal posted:

In a perfect world, you'd have no use for cops; the best they can ever be is justified, necessary evil with minimized negative effects. The point of loading the attitude as by default negative is you should be always wary of them, and you should by default be prepared to face and deal with adversity from them. Of course, this negativity shouldn't be aimed at the persons of the ones who legitimately try their human, moral best. My best pal's brother is a cop, and he's real cool. It also shouldn't keep you from cooperating them in situations where it's the best option. But it should ideally keep you on your toes around them, it should keep you from needlessly snitching on people who you have no quarrel with. It should naturally make you very wary and opposed to further growth of their privilege and powers, etc.

That's my homegrown hot take of the day.

This is my take as well. As the son of a career cop, I understand their place in society. But as the son of a corrupt cop, I know they can not be trusted. They my not always be the enemy, but they are by no means allies.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ommin posted:

This is my take as well. As the son of a career cop, I understand their place in society. But as the son of a corrupt cop, I know they can not be trusted. They my not always be the enemy, but they are by no means allies.

lmao

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ommin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv_CcmRZ7zc

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ommin posted:

As the son of the Denzel Washington character in Training Day,

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ommin posted:

drat it's extremely cool that instead of saying grace at meals your dad did the Jack Nicholson speech from a few good men

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

I'd be fine with my son being gay, but I'm not sure I'd call myself a "true straight male" despite being a best described as a heterosexual cis man. I'm also part Scottish, but I'm not sure I'd call myself a true Scotsman.

I'm also happy to take away from my family traditions of two generations of fathers abandoning their sons leading to complete non-contact.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/WEP_UK/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

lot going on here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1072647688498360320?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1072772593701269505

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the theory of how to make cops better is pretty simple, make them accountable to the communities they police rather than allowing the union to protect individuals and departments from their actions

how you unwind all of the existing poo poo without bringing in the probably way chuddier national guard as a temporary solution is the real problem.

but if individual cops reported to citizens instead of former-cop administrators, you'd have a lot less dudes blasting away to close their case and get back to the car to keep their stats moving

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Community oversight is a nice patch, but won't actually solve their behavior. The problem with cops is fundamental to what they are. Their job has always been to maintain order and to protect the powerful and their property, rather than (and often counter to) achieving any kind of moral justice or peace. This is why people call for the abolition of police, rather than police "reform," because any reform sweeping enough to fix the structural problems would render the new police completely unrecognizable as the same institution.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Community oversight is a nice patch, but won't actually solve their behavior. The problem with cops is fundamental to what they are. Their job has always been to maintain order and to protect the powerful and their property, rather than (and often counter to) achieving any kind of moral justice or peace. This is why people call for the abolition of police, rather than police "reform," because any reform sweeping enough to fix the structural problems would render the new police completely unrecognizable as the same institution.

Police are never going to be good, because any organization that wields state sponsored force against citizens is going to attract fascists and corruption. That's why social programs and mental health are so important: the are able to reduce crime without force. All that said, you ultimately need some force in order to deal the inevitability of crime, and the best way to achieve just results is a highly regulated and trained organization with extensive oversight and accountability. You don't have to call them cops if you don't want, but that's more or less what they are.

And yeah to achieve a sufficiently reformed police force you'd need to basically fire every cop and start over, or spend like 30-40 years of constant political will maintaining oversight until you've had an entire generation of cops who've worked under serious regulation and oversight for their entire careers.

fool of sound has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Dec 12, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

It'd be a mistake to use the argument that there is no such thing as good police to not (try to) improve things in some of the worst cases. My home country has a police force that gets stupidly trigger-happy once the guns are out, and do come down on bad sides in any kind of civil disobedience or demonstrations, but I think things could be a lot worse still if getting to be police wasn't gated behind a 2 year university program (with reasonably stringent requirements to enter) and nowadays a mandatory psychological screening.

Cybernetic Vermin has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Dec 12, 2018

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

It'd be a mistake to use the argument that there is no such thing as good police to not (try to) improve things in some of the worst cases. My home country has a police force that gets stupidly trigger-happy once the guns are out, and do come down on bad sides in any kind of civil disobedience or demonstrations, but I think things could be a lot worse still if getting to be police wasn't gated behind a 2 year university program (with reasonably stringent requirements to enter) and nowadays a mandatory psychological screening.

People seriously opposed to police violence fight now for policy that would disarm and cut funding to the police and carceral state. As an example of this, in Seattle, there are 2 related movements called "Block the Bunker" and "No New Youth Jail". The former was a movement which was successful in blocking a proposed plan to build a 180 million police bunker, replete with tanks and an expanded SWAT arsenal. The latter movement currently opposes a proposed 210 million dollar jail for kids.

Rolling back the militarization of the police (or even just fighting against further consolidation of power, like what I cited above) is not going to end the oppression caused by the police, but it does mean undermining their ability to just straight up lynch people the way they can now.

To get rid of the police entirely, we would need major changes in the material conditions of our society that are not possible under capitalism. The true purpose of the police, in practical terms, is the protection of private property (most especially that of the wealthy, to whom they are most obedient), a goal directly opposed to ending capitalism. If you oppose capitalism, it is in your interest to see your enemies disarmed.

Mr. Lobe has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Dec 12, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Pushing for abolition and transformational change does not preclude working for reforms in the short term to build momentum and weaken opposition power. It's the old minimum program / maximum program thing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Goon Danton posted:

Pushing for abolition and transformational change does not preclude working for reforms in the short term to build momentum and weaken opposition power. It's the old minimum program / maximum program thing.

I don't know if this was a direct response to me or not, but if it was, I agree. I am saying we should push for reforms that undermine the harm the police can do, and generally frustrate them in their jobs as the shock troops of the wealthy.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

But will it solve racism forever?

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

Good. gently caress off.

Yet another reason to call for a general election.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

Good. gently caress off.

Yet another reason to call for a general election.

nobody ever does that

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!
I definitely believe that Sir Lord Sir Alan Sugar is a sincere man and will do what he says he will do.

To be honest, there's a chance that he will do it, but it would 1000% be for tax reasons.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

:thermidor:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Goon Danton posted:

This is the main argument for abolition - that society needs to be restructured around justice and in so doing police would become unnecessary. Police don't exist to protect individuals from crime and violence, they exist to reign in the underclass, to staunch the bleeding from exploitation, racism and alienation, and make society safe for capital. Cops are only "necessary" in authoritarian systems that insist on unequal treatment of people for the benefit of a relative handful of elites.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This is the main argument for abolition - that society needs to be restructured around justice and in so doing police would become unnecessary. Police don't exist to protect individuals from crime and violence, they exist to reign in the underclass, to staunch the bleeding from exploitation, racism and alienation, and make society safe for capital. Cops are only "necessary" in authoritarian systems that insist on unequal treatment of people for the benefit of a relative handful of elites.

yeah but what about the gang initiations where you gotta kill a white lady in a minivan

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the answer: anyone who is not very rich

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Frog Act posted:

yeah but what about the gang initiations where you gotta kill a white lady in a minivan

presumably the cops will stop doing this if you disarm them

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I already said we'd get rid of the co--

the bitcoin of weed posted:

presumably the cops will stop doing this if you disarm them

gently caress!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Honest question because I don’t actually know the answer: who would catch murderers and and rapists and the violent criminals that would still exist under any system? Certainly I agree that this isn’t the primary purpose of the cops but it does currently fall under their purview.

I guess my question in more general terms is whether the existence of a law enforcement mechanism is itself objectionable, or if it’s the current model of policing?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

There aren't, like, super rapists that only police can stop

I'm not terribly worried about violent criminals, either, because they aren't space aliens who teleport to earth to commit crimes, and then teleport away. They have roots somewhere and it's by the root that you pull them. What you still need a professional security force for, IMO, is things like hostage situations, active shooters, etc. where you absolutely need application of force, and criminal conspiracies, criminal families, blood feuds etc. where you need the intervention of outsiders. And you'd still need detectives

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

hackbunny posted:

I'm not terribly worried about violent criminals, either, because they aren't space aliens who teleport to earth to commit crimes, and then teleport away. They have roots somewhere and it's by the root that you pull them.

What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1072928981421305858?s=19