Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fauna posted:

i failed my diploma and now i'm trying to write five reports at once in two days while keeping myself from a nervous breakdown with more weed, the leaf got me into this situation and the leaf will get me out

You are a rare and bountiful intelligence, godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fauna posted:

the leaf got me into this situation and the leaf will get me out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BWv3ONbwkM

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
except i'm not even working on the reports because until i know whether or not i've insta-failed this class it's kind of pointless devoting any energy to it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

This is my poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fauna posted:

they also plant thousands of tiny sub-saplings at once and try to keep them all alive, which is ridiculous and mad. in this essay i will argue that lower numbers of older longstem saplings grown in flexible containers, carefully installed and strategically irrigated offer better potential outcomes in terms of

well they should be trying to keep them all alive, the whole point with mass planting is that a bunch are going to die, but a bunch more won't

irrigation is a huge issue though, mainly because it seems to almost always get underbudgeted

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvSuBBRbZQ

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3fbpfG3FlE

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they have to air ads all the time telling idiot tourists to stay the gently caress away from those horses

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they have to air ads all the time telling idiot tourists to stay the gently caress away from those horses

They tell tourists in Canada to stay away from moose and every year some tourist gets maimed by one. :(

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Furnaceface posted:

They tell tourists in Canada to stay away from moose and every year some tourist gets maimed by one. :(

Seems easier to just ban that particular tourist from the country.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

trying to pick which adjective to use (i ended up using "several") i invented the word manumerous

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it means many, but in like, a very bad way

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

ecosystem modelling is a lie. it's a total loving sham and obscene.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/yamiche/status/1072539601997316096?s=21

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

avshalemon posted:

i think the issue is with data quality and quantity rather than the concept of modeling itself

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sendung thoughts and prayers to the UK, give us JRM, the man who will deliever the no-deal brexit the people want.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

Sendung thoughts and prayers to the UK, give us JRM, the man who will deliever the no-deal brexit the people want.

Well find out by 8pm englando

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kYco2Zt-cM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
might get in to astrology in 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

might get in to astrology in 2019

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i tag along in the 2020 candidate thread and I noticed a lot of debate on who is a good leader. Can anyone recommend any books on good leaders, and what makes them?

Alternatively, if you cant think of any I will also take suggestions for books on cults and some of the more charismatic serial killers.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

avshalemon posted:

What is ecosystem modeling

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think the issue is with data quality and quantity rather than the concept of modeling itself

Though in system with feed back loops that are sensitive to initial conditions bad data means even small deviations from reality in your model assumptions will cause model outputs to rapidly diverge from observed results. You can compensate with a bayesian approach that modifies parameters based on observed outcomes but even that will tend to give you just a rough idea of what to expect in all but the simplest of systems.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

What is ecosystem modeling

doing math stuff to turtles and snowy egrets

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's for the skinniest ecosystems with the highest cheekbones, usually they look a bit like aliens.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

doing math stuff to turtles and snowy egrets

ah yea I kinda realized that as soon as I posted, dunno why it took so long think I was just tired.

I think maybe avshalemon is feeling frustrated with models though because she hasn't realized that, counter-intuitively, ecological models are not primarily for quantifying egrets and turtles.

Their real primary purpose is in social engineering. See in order to get anything done on big scales you have to deal with a bunch of assholes who hate the environment and are actively trying to destroy the ecosystem. You need something to shove in their face and say see? if you eat all the egret eggs we'll run out of egrets! I mean the egret eaters will probably just ignore you anyway but if you're up in front of a judge their much more likely to take your side if you have fancy numbers and stuff to back you up

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well really it's about finding the optimal number of egret eggs you can eat so as not to upset the population equilibrium

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Squalid posted:

Though in system with feed back loops that are sensitive to initial conditions bad data means even small deviations from reality in your model assumptions will cause model outputs to rapidly diverge from observed results. You can compensate with a bayesian approach that modifies parameters based on observed outcomes but even that will tend to give you just a rough idea of what to expect in all but the simplest of systems.

yeah, and you want the habitat you're designing to stay self sustaining for centuries/millennia/ect which are not time scales the human brain is really good at comprehending, much less planning for

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, and you want the habitat you're designing to stay self sustaining for centuries/millennia/ect which are not time scales the human brain is really good at comprehending, much less planning for
designing for millennia is nuts

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

in 2000 years if yellowstone has not popped its lid i will eat my own rear end, and where will your trees be then?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i design for the year 6000, which is well within a tree's lifespan, i'll be newly dead but the messiah may walk beneath my wattle and my turpentines

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
climate change makes all of this moot anyway

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

climate change makes all of this moot anyway
not the turpentines, they love being flooded and the heat doesn't worry them at all

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm trying an alternative to tubestock for reforestation where trees are grown to an advanced stage in habitat nurseries (basically just greenhouses where bugs aren't kill-on-sight) and interred with great ceremony at about twelve months old, the idea being that you're not planting a field of tomatoes, you're installing a building that just happens to start out as a very small building

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i now have a decent idea of the most common reforestation methods in australia and they're all hosed. they're dreamed up by white men and the only things white men can understand are machines, diesel and fields full of neat perfect rows and rows and rows of things all the way to the horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
hmm have you tried having people abandon vast amounts of land en masse to move to cities or farmlands located a good couple hundred to couple thousand miles away and waiting 50 years? that worked really good for american reforestation