Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sardonik posted:

Um... No????

It was good right up until (and explicitly not including) the final episode.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock was pretty good too.

It could not stand the "gritty" characterization where everybody is constantly a piece of poo poo for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

a new study bible! posted:

And it will sell a billion dollars in microtransactions lol

You honestly think there's as big a market for pretend tents and flintlock rifles as there was for pretend lambos and penthouses?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Skyrim? Do you really thing the kids today, hopped up on walkmen and cheap bathtub gin, would pay for pretend horses and swords???

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

joedevola posted:

You honestly think there's as big a market for pretend tents and flintlock rifles as there was for pretend lambos and penthouses?

I think it's about having power over the other players on the server. If everyone else is limited to throwing stones, someone will definitely pay 50 dollars for a flintlock.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
BSG was got until the nonsensical religious stuff started happening like the magical teleporting resurrected space Jesus that was Starbuck.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

joedevola posted:

So unpopular opinion: No Man's Sky is good as hell and a loving technical miracle that made a terrible first impression because Sony forced the Hello Games guy to go on the Colbert show and tell lies about what you could do.

No Man's Sky is a perfect example of why the gaming industry is forever going to poo poo freely on consumers. They released a crap broken game and lied obscenely brazenly about everything. You should be embarassed that you handed over your money for it, not sitting here telling us how awesome it is.

Over in the Fallout 76 thread everyone's talking about how Bethesda has really screwed the pooch this time and they're never going to regain customer trust and it's complete bullshit. The moment the next Elder Scrolls hits the shelves it'll make millions.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No Man's Sky is a perfect example of why the gaming industry is forever going to poo poo freely on consumers. They released a crap broken game and lied obscenely brazenly about everything. You should be embarassed that you handed over your money for it, not sitting here telling us how awesome it is.

It probably was poo poo when it was released. I bought a used copy maybe a year after release and didn't like it at all but there have been a lot of updates since then, which is surprising considering there's no ongoing monetization in it. That, to me, says the developers actually care about the game and its fans as opposed to the 'gently caress you pay us' attitude of Rockstar putting its hand in your pocket with their depressed cowboy bullet cleaning simulator.

Just touching down back in the little snowy valley where I put my first base after travelling 12 star systems away and finding that the 18 bajillian whatever planets really are persistent is amazing to me. The space combat is simple and fun and I enjoy the story, such as it is, revealing itself a little bit at a time through interacting with NPCs and alien monoliths. It's not for everyone, it can be grind-y and buggy, but I think if it had been released as it is now it would have been far more successful.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So were there any men in the sky? Its a dealbreaker for me.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mining is the dumbest mechanic, just clicking on those fuckin rocks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I really want to play games like House Flipper and PC Building Simulator but my pc is too lovely for those games i think.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mining is the dumbest mechanic, just clicking on those fuckin rocks

There's a creative mode which negates a lot of that. I'm not sure but I think in it you can just build bases and warp around looking at weird poo poo as much as you want.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is there anything sadder than not even being able to run the lovely game where you pretend you are building a gaming PC

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Shibawanko posted:

I really want to play games like House Flipper and PC Building Simulator but my pc is too lovely for those games i think.

Flip a house IRL, use the profit to build a PC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Over in the Fallout 76 thread everyone's talking about how Bethesda has really screwed the pooch this time and they're never going to regain customer trust and it's complete bullshit. The moment the next Elder Scrolls hits the shelves it'll make millions.

Why are you so mad? Cool down angry gamer.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I swear NMS was developed like it was supposed to have microtransactions and then they just never put them in. I can't think of any other reason why they would have made the game so goddamn tedious. Literally everything you do requires resources, even gathering resources requires resources. And they all require different types of resources and you get a tiny little inventory so you're constantly in the menu moving things around and freeing up space and manually adding resources to power up your suit and your ship and your gun. The gameplay loop is just use poo poo you find to refuel your stuff to help you find more poo poo to refuel it some more and absolutely nothing interesting happens inbetween.

And I played it after the major content patches came out. I can't imagine what it was like at launch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It never struck me as something that was supposed to have microtransactions. It was just a horribly half baked game and no aspect of it felt play tested to actually be fun.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shibawanko posted:

Uhh just buy it and refund if it doesn't play well. That's literally one of the standard refund reasons you can select

Also those games tend to be really low-demand, but maybe your PC is just that crappy idk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CrRoMa posted:

Twitch is the main source of entertainment in my house.

Its not so much that i find others playing games to be my favourite as much as its fatigue at all the awful tv shows people invest themselves in.

Mad men was boring, breaking bad was boring, game of thrones was boring, stranger things was boring. Westworld was offensively boring. All these shows have no substance and almost zero reason to care or be compelled from episode to episode. Utter tripe.

Emmy-award winning shows heralding what most people are describing as the golden age of television: bad

Some nerd yelling at you while he fucks around in a video game: good

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

QuarkJets posted:

Emmy-award winning shows heralding what most people are describing as the golden age of television: bad

this but unironically

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*finishes applying mustache wax and opens a crisp PBR*

Television is just so mainstream, you probably haven't heard of any of the shows that I like

*sits down to watch PewDiePie scream racial slurs while badly playing a horror game*

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CrRoMa posted:

Its not so much that i find others playing games to be my favourite as much as its fatigue at all the awful tv shows people invest themselves in.

Mad men was boring, breaking bad was boring, game of thrones was boring, stranger things was boring. Westworld was offensively boring. All these shows have no substance and almost zero reason to care or be compelled from episode to episode. Utter tripe.

buddy this is neither the "unpopular tv opinions" nor the "ITT we have bizarre brain injuries" threads

QuarkJets posted:

*finishes applying mustache wax and opens a crisp PBR*

Television is just so mainstream, you probably haven't heard of any of the shows that I like

*sits down to watch PewDiePie scream racial slurs while badly playing a horror game*

truly the only media to reach the creative zenith of *reads paper again* scrubs? and uh, lost?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

QuarkJets posted:

please don't neglect the importance of the titty streamer

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like to watch strangers stare at a screen, while I am staring at a screen, while strangers stare at me staring at a screen

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*tips rim of fedora and expertly positions his unicycle for swifter mounting* Scrubs was a great show and Cougartown is Scrubs Evolved, but the original UK series it was based on, Cougarton Abbey, is the epitome of quality television

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

The entire open world genre is in a rut and has been there since about 2001 when GTA 3 came out. To this day I can't think of a game that's actually done anything too adventurous with the formula except BOTW. Which is why that game rules.

I feel the same way. I realized it a bit too early (when I played San Andreas) and unfortunately it's affected my ability to play most open world games at all.

Occasionally a japanese title will charm me enough to push through tedium, but western open world design is dire and soulless af

CrRoMa posted:

I think the last 2 shows that really made me care about television were Scrubs and Lost

LMFBO :wow:

This post, this post is a trip.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

QuarkJets posted:

*tips rim of fedora and expertly positions his unicycle for swifter mounting* Scrubs was a great show and Cougartown is Scrubs Evolved, but the original UK series it was based on, Cougarton Abbey, is the epitome of quality television

Do not talk poo poo about Cougartown

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Why are you so mad? Cool down angry gamer.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth veni veni veni, I needed that. I just get so angry!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Never played NMS but I play a few equally tedious 4X games occasionally and it's very meditative to throw away a few hours into something like that. You can always combine it with a nice audiobook for primo relaxation, shooters can't match that poo poo. It's like gardening but with less dirt on your hands.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I wann pet that dog

https://twitter.com/bafeldman/status/1072204915211149312

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

buddy this is neither the "unpopular tv opinions" nor the "ITT we have bizarre brain injuries" threads

by all means please feel free to create these threads tho, I would contribute my own awful tv opinions

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

McGiggins posted:

Lost was loving awful after the first 2 or 3 seasons?

Same with battlestar galactica.

The final season of lost provided some of the best entertainment I've gotten out of a tv show in years.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like gardening but with less dirt on your hands.

Yeah, basically I just want to start some farms and be able to fly from place to place looking at stuff. It's relaxing.

If you look at the NMS Reddit it's mostly people posting screenshots and making mock sci-fi novel covers. Not for everyone but nothing to get angry about.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I personally find most of these prime time, emmy shows boring and meandering also but lol at all that pretention. I like king of the hill :3. Back to games. Arcade racers>racing sims.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

CrRoMa posted:

Source your quotes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

F Zero was better than Mario Kart

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Do not talk poo poo about Cougartown

I meant what I said, Cougarton is Scrubs but better

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shibawanko posted:

Unpopular but extremely correct

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

Only if you're comparing F-Zero GX to MK Double Dash. Otherwise MK wins every other comparison.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

This is such a loving stupid sentence. "oh well the award shows say its great and other people say its great so it must be riveting"

I'm not labelling a huge swath of TV as "bad". I'm saying television shows have consistently bored me. I'm not saying Game of Thrones is a poo poo product thats poorly made, its clearly not, but its beats have absolutely nothing about them that made me care. It's not a bad product and I'm not being an edgelord just because I don't want to sit and watch 60 minutes of a serialized drama. Its not a dig on any specific show its a dig on the medium in general, I just find sitting staring at a screen watching a story play out to be chronically uninteresting. By all means continue stuffing junk food in your loving face watching hours of garbage TV when you could just read the wikipedia summary spend your spare time doing something more fulfilling. Choose Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

choose life? motherfucker you said twitch is your biggest source of entertainment you incredible idiot loser, please choose death