Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Shes Maggie Thatcher 2.0 basically, except without the iron will to actually do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I voted Leave because doing so would remove the one personal issue I had with the E.U. and not affect me in any other way at all!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What about the welsh in all of this?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

FizFashizzle posted:

I think they voted like 80% to stay but they have a different constitutional arrangement with England than the Scots do, so they're pretty much bound to do whatever London tells them.

(Happy to be corrected on this one)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

Despite their protestations, they are Englishified as all gently caress. They will never have any popular will towards independence

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I had to double check that I didn't wander into the UK politics thread for a minute...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

CyberPingu posted:

Shes Maggie Thatcher 2.0 basically, except without the iron will to actually do anything.

Yeah, Thatcher never had May's talent for making such a loving pig's ear of anything she tried to do. As appalling as Thatcher was, she got poo poo done. It was just all terrible poo poo she got done.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What the Tories think of Ireland, by the way: "We simply cannot allow the Irish to treat us like this. This simply cannot stand. The Irish really should know their place."

I'm English (well, I've got Irish ancestors, but not recently enough to bag a passport), and I'm going "Oh, gently caress you" at that level of arrogance. If the 'precious union' really does break up entirely as a result of Brexit, I will laugh as I eat cold baked beans from a rusty tin over the body of the wasteland survivor I just clubbed to get them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

There Bias Two posted:

I had to double check that I didn't wander into the UK politics thread for a minute...

You're right, apologies for derail. Further elucidation is available in the UKMT, but would probably be better to lurk and read the OP rather than making GBS threads up this special day with questions (?). Anyway, sorry

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
poo poo that reminds me I need to apply for my Irish Passport.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

CyberPingu posted:

poo poo that reminds me I need to apply for my Irish Passport.

In the same vein, I have never been happier about my NZ passport and can-loving-not wait to get as far from this country as possible. Although the way things are going, I'll probably end up losing half my savings due to the pound crashing and burning, yay :toot:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, but I love listening to them talk. Let's let this play out.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I know we like AOC but can we show a little love for Ayanna Pressley

These women. These women are so loving inspiring. They are also sticking together and supporting one another which I...haven't really seen the Democrats do so publically, at least not with the sincerity of the new members.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 12, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pressley is legit and I’m proud to have voted for her.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

I know we like AOC but can we show a little love for Ayanna Pressley

These women. These women are so loving inspiring. They are also sticking together and supporting one another which I...haven't really seen the Democrats do so publically, at least not with the sincerity of the new members.

I think you'll find the other women are too dark or not as conventually attractive and thus...

*Listens to ear piece*

no wait, I'm being told it's not years if white media influence but instead... AOC is our first Instagram Influencer candidate so she's better at messaging or something

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AOC is just talked about more here because she does more Twitter burns

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Koalas Massacre posted:

I think you'll find the other women are too dark or not as conventually attractive and thus...

*Listens to ear piece*

no wait, I'm being told it's not years if white media influence but instead... AOC is our first Instagram Influencer candidate so she's better at messaging or something

Sad, but true KM. :(

In other news, ProPublica has a great series about how Congress is secretly gutting the IRS so their audit capacity is getting more and more limited, which means the rich get to steal more and more money from citizens by not paying tax.

https://www.propublica.org/series/gutting-the-irs

This is absolutely disgusting.

https://www.propublica.org/article/after-budget-cuts-the-irs-work-against-tax-cheats-is-facing-collapse

This article is especially damning...I wonder who would have a vested interest in making sure their dirty money couldn't be found? Hint: This has been going on for 8 years so it isn't Trump, though he does benefit.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Payndz posted:

What the Tories think of Ireland, by the way: "We simply cannot allow the Irish to treat us like this. This simply cannot stand. The Irish really should know their place."

I'm English (well, I've got Irish ancestors, but not recently enough to bag a passport), and I'm going "Oh, gently caress you" at that level of arrogance. If the 'precious union' really does break up entirely as a result of Brexit, I will laugh as I eat cold baked beans from a rusty tin over the body of the wasteland survivor I just clubbed to get them.

Please, every English person's destiny is to become a British bulter/nanny for the few years that it'll work, before you then live like its the medieval era again. Haven't you read your 90s dystopia novels? You're supposed to become Cyber Camelot!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 12, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crabtree posted:

Please, every English person's destiny is to become a British bulter/nanny for the few years that it'll work, before you then live like its the medieval era again. Haven't you read your 90s dystopia novels? You're supposed to become Cyber Camelot!

I'm excited for Agatha Christie novels to be contemporary again, that'll be nice

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/TaylorPettaway/status/1072262447396990976

Bring it home Ayanna!

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 12, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1072842278690004992

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I love her :3:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1072173435583938560
https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1072173437060374529

Here is some more good news! I hope she keeps signal boosting the loving travesty that is the Cynthia Brown case. For those of you that don't know, Cynthia Brown was a child sex-slave who shot and killed the man who purchased her. She got 51 years in prison...

quote:

Thursday's ruling came in response to a lawsuit in which Brown argues her sentence is unconstitutional, citing a 2012 opinion by the US Supreme Court that said mandatory life sentences without parole for juvenile offenders violate the US Constitution. The Tennessee Supreme Court explained in a statement that "under state law, a life sentence is a determinate sentence of 60 years. However, the sixty-year sentence can be reduced by up to 15 percent, or 9 years, by earning various sentence credits."

The system is so loving broken

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 12, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1072173435583938560
https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1072173437060374529

Here is some more good news! I hope she keeps signal boosting the loving travesty that is the Cynthia Brown case. For those of you that don't know, Cynthia Brown was a child sex-slave who shot and killed the man who purchased her. She got 51 years in prison...

2019 is the year of the Ultimate Black Girl Glow Up.

I'm really excited to see what all of these amazing women do!!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I am so loving hyped for all these Women of Color to kick rear end and take names. 2018 had so many historic elections and I am loving pumped to see what these ladies do to the white patriarchy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Pressley is legit and I’m proud to have voted for her.

i'm stuck voting for moulton :(

someone's gonna primary him in 2020 though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I'm just impressed with a system where a leader can completely debase and embarrass themselves and face the proposition of losing office within a day.

I also wonder who has the stomach to replace her right now, given she was the only one who was really interested in the job after Brexit.

Farage is out of the question because this is purely a Tory question. Votes of no confidence called by one's own party are different from those that are called by the opposition, where the whole of parliament votes on a PM versus just the ruling party AFAIK. Farage was a part of UKIP before this year, and is now Independent.

:goonsay: Normally this is the case, because the PM's party has a majority of Parliament so they all vote for whoever wins the internal party leadership election. But in this case no, because May's party lost their majority (in an election she called because polling looked like she was going to crush Labour and win a huge majority that could survive inevitable defections over Brexit), so a replacement needs some other party to support them as well.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/bbcsussex/status/1072243438593196034?s=21

Oh England :allears:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not going to be ceremonial for much longer

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Taking the mace is a maceable offense !

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not going to be ceremonial for much longer

What good is a mace if you can't swing it at folks?

Also, I'm pretty sure he was suspended for this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I love how it's mostly just "no... no no." stated politely until someone just asks him to hand them the mace so they can slowly walk it back into it's resting place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is this like the ceremonial gun in thunder ball games?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Mace represents the authority of Elizabeth II in Parliament - if it's not there, the meeting is not lawful and must be disbanded.

However, when the Parliament discusses finance bills, the Mace is placed under the table.

(Seriously)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

VitalSigns posted:

:goonsay: Normally this is the case, because the PM's party has a majority of Parliament so they all vote for whoever wins the internal party leadership election. But in this case no, because May's party lost their majority (in an election she called because polling looked like she was going to crush Labour and win a huge majority that could survive inevitable defections over Brexit), so a replacement needs some other party to support them as well.

Nope the agreement with the DUP was between the parties (more specifically the chief whips), not the leaders of each. The confidence and supply agreement doesn't change from this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If the queen actually entered, picked up the mace and said "We're not doing brexit you fuckos" that would be pretty much the end of it then?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I really, really appreciate this reference.

Has anyone posted the raw video from yesterday's exchange between Pelosi, Trump, and Schumer yet? I'd like to see the full thing.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/rebeccavallas/status/1072848717202509825?s=21

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m going to guess Brexit happens because incompetence and then they beg to join the EU in six months to a year when everything has completely gone to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

Duck_King posted:

I really, really appreciate this reference.

Has anyone posted the raw video from yesterday's exchange between Pelosi, Trump, and Schumer yet? I'd like to see the full thing.

It's out there, just google it. But it's mostly Trump talking like an rear end about "we've already built so much wall." The part where they actually argue is -- or at least seemed -- short.