Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

duffmensch posted:

I’d get the Delta since it’s cheap as poo poo and has auto bed leveling (unless you want to spring for the Mini Pro), even if you do lose 10mm in all 3 axis.

I think that's the way to go. I appreciate the advice. Auto bed leveling is a massive quality of life thing for 3d printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

I think that's the way to go. I appreciate the advice. Auto bed leveling is a massive quality of life thing for 3d printing.

agreed, I bought one of those IR sensors from filastruder and modified my firmware to add it to my cheap JGAurora, and it's the best thing ever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The cheap Monoprice delta has a really short lifespan in my experience, but YMMV.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Mostly for the fun of it, but I decided to see how small a layer height I could go on my wanhao I3. Usually I print between 0.2 and 0.3. Printed this face on a rock at 0.08 x 0.33. Fairly happy with how it came out, but it does look like I have other little issues that lower layer height won't fix. Full size benhy for scale. Face is about 12mm tall.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
My pallette 2 gets delivered tomorrow. They released the octoprint plugin already so I should be able to get it up and running fairly quickly.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

Nothing is noisier than an open plan office. Consider this a protest. :-)

That also ties into the microplastic thing... I have two high production laser printers in the same air volume as I am in, the printer dust off of those would swamp anything off the printer.

I looked at those.. and they seem bigger than the itty bitty ones hobbyking used to sell.

This one in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU9RFNzeX04

Hey... looks, it's open source: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:701548

Hobbyking stopped selling the Fabrikator because they made a better one. The Fabrikator V2, but it seems to be frequently out of stock.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mini-fabrikator-v2-3d-printer-us-plug.html?___store=en_us

I have one and I've been using it as the small parts desktop printer. The V2 is better in pretty much every way to the V1, which I have used a few times. Notable improvements are the aluminium frame, 100mm3 build envelope instead of 80mm3, PEI build plate coating and SD Card. My only complaint was that a few of the nuts and bolts needed tightening when I received it, having come loose in shipping. If the US version isn't in stock the only difference with the other localisations is the cable for the PSU, so you can just get the AUS one for example and put a US plug on it. When I bought mine the EU one was on offer £10 less so I just bought that and threw on a spare British plug when it arrived.

Print quality is way better than a printer this price has any right to. This is basically a function of the small build platform. Smaller is stiffer, so even though it has weedy little linear components there is no resonance, wiggle or other rigidity issue that typically plagues cheap printers.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The cheap Monoprice delta has a really short lifespan in my experience, but YMMV.

What wore out on yours? My bed kept getting warped so I used a 5” mirror and haven’t had any problems beyond that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Prusa Mk3 ordered. Merry XMas to me!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

duffmensch posted:

What wore out on yours? My bed kept getting warped so I used a 5” mirror and haven’t had any problems beyond that.

The embedded stepper drivers kept dying.

Also there is no way to adjust the current if the specific one you get isn't giving enough power to one of the axis steppers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My Voron is starting to take shape. Still waiting for that specific bed probe before I can assemble the head. Then I'll have to start cabling ( :toot: )

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The embedded stepper drivers kept dying.

Also there is no way to adjust the current if the specific one you get isn't giving enough power to one of the axis steppers.

It's pretty trivial to slap a cheap ramps board in there if that happens. I'll probably do that with the one I got for $80 on Black Friday, along with some drylin bushings to replace the noisy as gently caress linear bearings on it.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I just calibrated my CR-10's e-steps / mm - the original measurements were showing that I was about 3% under-extruded.

I didn't think that 3% was a big deal until I did a print with the modified value in the firmware - noticeably, obviously more evenly extruded over the entire surface of the object.

Calibrate your extruder, kids. Worth it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I just calibrated my CR-10's e-steps / mm - the original measurements were showing that I was about 3% under-extruded.

I didn't think that 3% was a big deal until I did a print with the modified value in the firmware - noticeably, obviously more evenly extruded over the entire surface of the object.

Calibrate your extruder, kids. Worth it.
Yeah, it's amazing what just a couple of percentage points will do for extrusion. I always see people in the Facebook groups trying to force the extrusion multiplier up in software instead of doing a proper cal, and it inevitably ends in sadness and frustration. TronXY printers, which use the same hot end as the Creality machines, are also notorious for being set way too low from the factory. A quick cal smartens them right up.

Combat Pretzel posted:

My Voron is starting to take shape. Still waiting for that specific bed probe before I can assemble the head. Then I'll have to start cabling ( :toot: )

That's gorgeous, can't wait to see how it prints! I don't neeeeeed another printer, but that's a tempting looking build. What's the cost so far, if you don't mind me asking?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just crossed the 1500€ (two Prusa kits).

Probably some money to be saved by going with cheaper extrusions than pre-tapped and -drilled Misumi ones, a cheaper source of screws than eBay (hardware stores are notoriously poo poo over here), the dual RAMPS from the BOM instead of Einsy Rambos, and sticking to 12V as the default instead of 24V for cheaper parts. A lot of things came from AliExpress, but I shopped also a bunch in Europe, that pushed the price a bit.

The price includes the enclosure, for ABS and such, altho I went with PC instead of acryl as per BOM.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I got Palette 2 last night. Here is my 2nd print. 1st print using canvas online slicer didn’t come out right. I used Simplify 3D and Chroma (the desktop app) on 2nd print and worked really well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ClassH posted:

I got Palette 2 last night. Here is my 2nd print. 1st print using canvas online slicer didn’t come out right. I used Simplify 3D and Chroma (the desktop app) on 2nd print and worked really well.

Awesome! What printer are you running?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's pretty trivial to slap a cheap ramps board in there if that happens. I'll probably do that with the one I got for $80 on Black Friday, along with some drylin bushings to replace the noisy as gently caress linear bearings on it.

That is literally more time/effort than its worth for me

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

mattfl posted:

Awesome! What printer are you running?

Ender 3.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

ClassH posted:

Ender 3.

Digging mine - my first two prints were crap, then I realized my version of Cura had a lovely Ender 3 config. After updating my benchy was pretty good. Also in hindsight buying black filament then trying to take pics to share wasn't the best of ideas.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Am I right in thinking that there's a bump or catch in the z axis travel that is likely causing the horizontal lines visible here?

Some notes:

- CR-10, stock firmware
- Was present before and after I installed a second Z-axis leadscrew and motor
- Printed in Vase mode, 1mm nozzle @ .6 layer height
- 45 mm/s, 4200mm/s acceleration limit, 15 mm/s jerk limit
- lines were present before I calibrated e-steps (when this was taken) but are STILL present after e-steps calibration
- happens on multiple prints with multiple filaments

As a test, I stretched the model 200% along Z and reduced 50% along X and Y to create a tall, skinny version of this - when I printed it, and placed the two models side by side, the lines still matched up. They appear to be regularly repeating themselves up the length of the print every 29-ish mm or so.

Since the lines are not moving relative to the model, but instead stayed in place relative to the printer, am I right in thinking that this is perhaps some sort of physical issue that is displacing the print head slightly as it travels up the Z axis?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Am I right in thinking that there's a bump or catch in the z axis travel that is likely causing the horizontal lines visible here?

Some notes:

- CR-10, stock firmware
- Was present before and after I installed a second Z-axis leadscrew and motor
- Printed in Vase mode, 1mm nozzle @ .6 layer height
- 45 mm/s, 4200mm/s acceleration limit, 15 mm/s jerk limit
- lines were present before I calibrated e-steps (when this was taken) but are STILL present after e-steps calibration
- happens on multiple prints with multiple filaments

As a test, I stretched the model 200% along Z and reduced 50% along X and Y to create a tall, skinny version of this - when I printed it, and placed the two models side by side, the lines still matched up. They appear to be regularly repeating themselves up the length of the print every 29-ish mm or so.

Since the lines are not moving relative to the model, but instead stayed in place relative to the printer, am I right in thinking that this is perhaps some sort of physical issue that is displacing the print head slightly as it travels up the Z axis?
Just a stab in the dark, but maybe check that the Z wheels and rails they ride in are clean and smooth, no flat spots, dents etc?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

peepsalot posted:

Just a stab in the dark, but maybe check that the Z wheels and rails they ride in are clean and smooth, no flat spots, dents etc?

I think that's a fair shout, I checked the right-hand side during installation of the second Z leadscrew but didn't want to mess with the left side yet.

I don't know what this means, but I just printed a test cylinder, same printer, same settings, same filament, and there are NO matching lines on the cylinder.

It does have sections where a line is a micron displaced compared to the one below and above it - just not at the same heights as the boxes i sent upthread. IDK. I'll just do the needful and troubleshoot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Is anyone else doing some 3d printed holiday gifts for family or friends? My cousin's kids are going to get some of these venus boxes with ball bases in xmas colors. This prototype is in amazon basics blue PETG, but I'm doing the final ones in PLA gold, and red and green transparent PETG (one for each daughter). The girls probably will care more about getting chocolate inside the boxes but I think it'll look nice since they'll have a similar look to glass ornament balls.

I'm working on a couple of magic the gathering deck boxes and dice boxes for some of my tabletop nerd friends. The wood PLA I used earlier in the thread is turning out nicely but I need to work on staining it a bit better. Considering real wood hexagonal dice boxes are $25-40 I think it's a nice idea to print one (I'm guessing one of the companies that sell real wood ones keeps getting the design taken off thingiverse, it goes to 404 but shows up as the first result for a "dice box" search). Seems like a weird thing to try to get removed since there's a bunch of remixes of the top and the files are all over the place.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/et5v3xx7tljukfx/hex-dice-box.zip?dl=0

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Is anyone else doing some 3d printed holiday gifts for family or friends? My cousin's kids are going to get some of these venus boxes with ball bases in xmas colors. This prototype is in amazon basics blue PETG, but I'm doing the final ones in PLA gold, and red and green transparent PETG (one for each daughter). The girls probably will care more about getting chocolate inside the boxes but I think it'll look nice since they'll have a similar look to glass ornament balls.

I'm working on a couple of magic the gathering deck boxes and dice boxes for some of my tabletop nerd friends. The wood PLA I used earlier in the thread is turning out nicely but I need to work on staining it a bit better. Considering real wood hexagonal dice boxes are $25-40 I think it's a nice idea to print one (I'm guessing one of the companies that sell real wood ones keeps getting the design taken off thingiverse, it goes to 404 but shows up as the first result for a "dice box" search). Seems like a weird thing to try to get removed since there's a bunch of remixes of the top and the files are all over the place.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/et5v3xx7tljukfx/hex-dice-box.zip?dl=0

I'm doing a mix of laser cut and 3D printed stuff for gifts.

For my wargaming buddies, it's terrain bits.

For other people we were still looking for ideas. We were thinking of laser engraved tiles or coasters, especially of people's pets. One relative has a fish tank, so we were thinking an acrylic cut or engrave of one of their pets that they can put in the fish tank.

I like that dice box, we've been looking for fun dice storage. I found a laser cut version on Thingiverse we'll probably cut for ourselves.

Those venus boxes are cool, but I don't know what I would put in them as gifts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It probably depends on who's getting it. I mostly consider the box to be the main gift since it can be used for a small amount of storage and is just kind of neat. Plus with these kids their folks get them a ton of stuff every year and so they don't need much. Most of the stuff I'm making is for folks I don't usually exchange gifts with or if I do I keep it at $20 max or something. I liked Angus from Maker's Muse's idea of making puzzles with cool looking filament but I haven't decided if I'm going to make any yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRuCFI2CGQ

I was thinking about making the NASA wrench they printed on the ISS for a desk ornament for a friend who would appreciate it. I'd probably use carbon fiber PLA or something sufficiently space-y looking:

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/wrench-mis
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/3Dratchet_wrench

NASA has a few other cool 3d printable models:
https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models/printable

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My nephew gets a ticket to Gamescom next year. I printed one of those puzzle boxes to put it in so he has to work for it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Everyone in my family is getting puzzle boxes as well with cash inside. I'm printing a special one for my brother which is actually 4 puzzle pieces in one.

This one, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2410748

The one that holds a giftcard is for my wife's aunt who she says is going to loose her mind trying to figure it out lol

https://imgur.com/a/gBlhDdZ

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

mattfl posted:

Everyone in my family is getting puzzle boxes as well with cash inside. I'm printing a special one for my brother which is actually 4 puzzle pieces in one.

This one, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2410748

The one that holds a giftcard is for my wife's aunt who she says is going to loose her mind trying to figure it out lol

https://imgur.com/a/gBlhDdZ

I've printed these a couple times. They always go over great. I am actually using the openscad to generate a new maze for this round because the current maze is a little easy on the inner ones.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I installed the TH3d unified firmware on my Ender 3, and I've double triple checked that the settings are as suggested for my printer - but all of a sudden, I'm getting layer shift along the Y axis. It's repeatable, and consistent at a certain part of the baby Groot I'm printing - specifically, the free-floating hand out to the left of the body - meaning, I think, that the print head has to accelerate to that location, causing the belt to slip, maybe?

I've tightened the belt on both axes, and all that did was cause the slip to reverse directions - instead of translating the subsequent layers to the front of the printer, now it's translating them a mm to the back.

Am I right in thinking that the new firmware is causing accel to be handled differently? I'm using acceleration and jerk control in Cura - I was previously husing print accel values of 500 mm/s and travel accel of 5000 mm/s in Cura with the stock Creality Marlin, with no issues.

As soon as I upgraded to TH3d, I've gone as low as 333 mm/s for print accel and 3000 mm/s for travel accel, and it's still shifting layers along Y.

Am I thinking in the right direction, hopefully?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Turns out that (probably) my glass bed was slipping around on the heated plate, due to a clip that had popped off without me knowing.

At least it was an easy fix.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey so Makerbot's big announcement is a 7000 USD dual nozzle printer with a smallish build platform (~6in) and $79 spools of filament (can't find a word about how much filament is per spool but it looks like <1kg based on a shipping weight of 0.8kg but that might just be the PVA)

Oh sorry did I put you all to sleep

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Hey so Makerbot's big announcement is a 7000 USD dual nozzle printer with a smallish build platform (~6in) and $79 spools of filament (can't find a word about how much filament is per spool but it looks like <1kg based on a shipping weight of 0.8kg but that might just be the PVA)

:chloe:

In other news I bought an Ender 3 and it's arriving tomorrow. I haven't cleared a spot to set it up yet and I'd like to get it printing before Christmas. I've got stuff to move and shelves to assemble and I'm printing stuff on the maker select nonstop for the holidays.
:tif:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've got several well-tuned printers available right now for printable upgrades for the Ender3 I just got. Any suggestions on a "must do" list for it?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Eyes Have It posted:

Makerbot couldn't make a $2500 dual-nozzle printer worth a poo poo. Maybe the $7000 version will work as well as the $800 clone I had of the $2500 printer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

insta posted:

I've got several well-tuned printers available right now for printable upgrades for the Ender3 I just got. Any suggestions on a "must do" list for it?

I don't have mine yet but some of the lists I've seen have some good ones.
Fan cover guard (the fan points up so stuff can just drop into it):
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2935204

filament guide:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2917932

petsfang cooler:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2759439

cable guides/clips/cable chain (may not be necessary, gonna wait until I get mine to see if I want these):
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2761965
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2949858
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2920060

There's a ton of other printable mods but these are the ones that looked good to me to start with. This guy's Youtube channel has a bunch of videos about upgrading his Ender 3, some of which I've watched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq2IKp3jeaY

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Hey all, I've had my Ender 3 for a few months now, and all has been well up until recently. I'm having what I think is adhesion issues. The print seems to pop off the bed (sticking to the nozzle and making a huge mess) about halfway through print. First few layers go down great though, and it is a glass bed. I have never needed to do anything special to the bed besides clean it, and it has just worked, until recently.

The only thing I have found definitely 100% wrong was the Z-axis leadscrew had come loose from the coupler. I tightened that up, checked the bed for level, and I'm still just not having any luck.

So it certainly seems like adhesion is still not right, but I have no idea why. I still consider myself a newb and I'm out of ideas.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wiping my (PEI) bed down with acetone always cures my adhesion issues, try that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fillamentum Extrafill might be my new favorite filament.

I used their Vertigo Galaxy PLA to print this gently caress you puzzle box for my brother lol

https://imgur.com/a/RvXgDJV

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That looks really nice. Any extrusion/nozzle issues with the glittery filler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

That looks really nice. Any extrusion/nozzle issues with the glittery filler?

None at all, printed just like normal PLA at the same temp I print everything at, 210/60