Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finished Startide Rising. I still like the story and pacing, and sense of mystery, but it still felt pretty cringe-ey a lot of the time.

Finished Freeze Frame Revolution. I enjoyed it.

Trying the new Richard Morgan now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

uberkeyzer posted:

Good goal post moving from all fantasy to “genre fantasy,” which I guess means bad fantasy?

If you were interested in doing more than just trolling I’d actually be interested to hear how a genre skeptic responded to Ishiguro.

It seems pretty clear that 'genre fantasy' is what was meant in the first place, you seem to be using a definition where like the Iliad or something is fantasy because it has gods and magic and stuff like that in it. Like you're looking at content first and then saying it's fantasy based only on that, in which case fantasy is such a wide ranging term as to be meaningless.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Tonight I got a few books from my Dad as belated Hannukah presents and they were: Baru 1, The first murderbot novella, and an ancient book of Cordwainer Smith short stories. I'm 100% positive he does not read this thread or even know what this forum is so it was very weird. :tinfoil:

Oh, and The Big Time by Fritz Leiber which I know nothing about but I guess I'm reading next.

E: Worth noting that the cover of the Cordwainer Smith book is extremely good:

Hmm. I've never seen that one before and I thought I knew most of Smith's publications. *checks Amazon for contents* "No, No, Not Rogov!," "The Lady Who Sailed the Soul," "Scanners Live in Vain," "The Game of Rat and Dragon," "The Burning of the Brain," "Golden The Ship Was -- Oh! Oh! Oh!," "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard," and "Mark Elf." That's a pretty decent collection. Seems to be mostly his space travel stories -- I'm surprised they didn't include "The Colonel Came Back from Nothing-at-All" or "Drunkboat."

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

gvibes posted:

Finished Startide Rising. I still like the story and pacing, and sense of mystery, but it still felt pretty cringe-ey a lot of the time.

Finished Freeze Frame Revolution. I enjoyed it.

Trying the new Richard Morgan now.

Just chiming in to say I finished FFR too and liked it a lot, just wish it was longer

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
not sure why neal stephenson (could end here)
decided to make his next work a follow up to one of his worst books reamde and also make it a post death exploration on metaphysics in a virtual world.

i mean i'll buy it but i'll probably hate myself for it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

branedotorg posted:

decided to make his next work a follow up to one of his worst books reamde and also make it a post death exploration on metaphysics in a virtual world.

Even in the worst case, the digressions will be worth reading.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

branedotorg posted:

The publisher's summary makes it sound pretty lame, and it's 880 pages. Unless it gets rave reviews, it seems safe to skip.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

branedotorg posted:

Is it Snowcrash?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

gvibes posted:

Why is it cringey? Not disputing that it is, just haven't read it in 20+ years and a lot of stuff sailed over teenage me's head.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

A human heart posted:

It seems pretty clear that 'genre fantasy' is what was meant in the first place, you seem to be using a definition where like the Iliad or something is fantasy because it has gods and magic and stuff like that in it. Like you're looking at content first and then saying it's fantasy based only on that, in which case fantasy is such a wide ranging term as to be meaningless.

I agree that it is meaningless, more or less. Which was kind of my point in responding to your pronouncement that fantasy (not genre fantasy) was juvenile.

If you think adolescent power fantasy should be reserved for middle schoolers and that grown ups should grow the gently caress up, I don’t necessarily disagree with you. But China Mieville’s New Crobuzon books, The Book of the New Sun, and, Jo Walton’s Among Others are so different from one another and from, say, Terry Goodkind that lumping them in together as fantasy with the same “purpose” and then dismissing them makes no sense.

I’m assuming you’ve read none of these books (or The Buried Giant, or NLMG) based on your steadfast refusal to actually engage on something more interesting than a “what is genre” slap fight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

uberkeyzer, A human heart's only reason for posting is to be as abrasive as possible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

branedotorg posted:

I liked reamde :shobon:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The expanse is on sale for the first three. Worth it?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
This month's free Tor.com eBook of the Month is Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

This month's free Tor.com eBook of the Month is Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

If you haven't read this before, I can't recommend it enough. I know it's a loving tired phrase but it's ASOIAF in space. It's up there with KSR or Stephen Baxter's stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ed balls balls man posted:

If you haven't read this before, I can't recommend it enough. I know it's a loving tired phrase but it's ASOIAF in space. It's up there with KSR or Stephen Baxter's stuff.

It's better than that! I have never enjoyed either of those dudes and I found this one to be great reading - inventive, great characters, and the concept of having to pay for your oxygen on the Moon is wonderfully horrific and realistic.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah that series is great and the last book in the trilogy is due out in a few months. I think McDonald is probably the best prose stylist in contemporary SF. He also writes really, really great setpieces - the coup/uprising/war that spreads across the moon in the second book, initially told from the POV of a character who's isolated and cut off and not quite sure what's happening, is superbly put together.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

I liked it too, up to the point where Stephenson got bored.

Some great action scenes, though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

reamde was the Neal Stephenson book with the ultra-smug protagonists responsible for 90% of the deaths in the book and a literal deus-ex cougar.
Wouldn't recommend reamde to anyone, even Neal Stephenson fans.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Stephenson has the distiction of being the only author whose books I've failed to finish twice. I could not get through Reamde or Snowcrash. They both bored me to tears.

Like even when I hate a book I'll usually press through, to mock it if nothing else (see also: everything Rothfuss writes). I couldn't even hateread his poo poo. It was so dull I can't even muster up contempt for the story or quality of the prose.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

R. Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing Learned

I suppose not everyone has been introduced to R. Scott Bakker’s Prince of Nothing novels by having the “black demon seed” scene quoted at them. This is the delightful sequence in the second part of the trilogy, where Bakker describes the horror of a man, his wife, and his child being raped by a demon and the setting’s resident subhuman scum (Orcs, but less talkative). The phrase “raper’s thrust” is used. The defences offered was, first, that Bakker’s writing is good outside of the creepy sex stuff, and second, that the rape by demon/orc was actually a brilliant philosophical counterpoint to the moral-ethical pretensions that drive conflicts in the story.

The latter defence is of course misses the point that Bakker’s writing is terrible.

The first defence comes from the fannish mindset where problems in the text are to be tolerated instead of confronted. It is also the same defence as afforded to Japanese visual novels.

It is a befitting introduction, because the overriding mode of Bakker’s narrative is perversion – of civilization, of humanity, of trust, of religion. There is nothing in The Darkness that Comes Before, first in an interminable saga, that is not overshadowed or at least overcast by dread. The thrill of this dread is what draws in the reader, and it is where Bakker’s meagre talent as a storyteller lies. Throughout the novel he displays a skill for catching the twinge of anxiety and dread within the reader, even with his amateurish prose. And being such an effective yet observably bad writer, Bakker’s novel is the very definition of hackwork. Much of the novel is concerned with a reimagining of the First Crusade, given a nihilistic bent and names that sound like somebody slurring through Tolkien’s elf-languages. Bakker likewise offers familiar genre clichés, just more vicious and with worse named.

In The Darkness that Comes Before, Anälsybarite Killhöuse receives telepathic summons bidding him to join his exiled father. Killhöuse comes from an isolated monastic community whose members are rendered superhuman by their postgraduate philosophy degrees, and upon reaching civilization finds himself a godlike manipulator among so many sheeple. In the meantime, great conflict brews between the great religions of the Mediterranean. The Pope preaches a Crusade against the Muslim conquerors of the Holy Land, while nobles and wizards intrigue, barbarians roam, and minions of the Dark Lord lurk in the shadows and fringes of the world.

While this sounds eventful, this introductory part of a multivolume chronicle is occupied mostly with extended political and geographical manoeuvres: a disquieting amount of time is spent on the cast getting somewhere. Add in Conan the Bisexual Barbarian, the prose stylistics of Guy Gavriel Kay, the horror sensibilities of Clive Barker, just a little bit of rape and other atrocities, and you have something like RSB’s hodgepodge. Despite these diverse elements, Bakker’s writing is characteristically flat in the manner of countless genre authors. Usually he is content with an unremarkable half-realist mode that genre authors shotgun wed to the imaginative potential of fantasy and science-fiction. Central to this is the imposition of modern psychological realism on a world that is neither modern nor realist, and emphasis on extended dialogues of short exchanges that are intercut with brief, lifeless descriptions and snatches of internal monologue. This is ubiquitous to genre writing, and one can hardly differentiate authors in this mode save for the style of their silly names:

Bakker is also fond of a sardonically understated “chronicling” style familiar from Guy Gavriel Kay, where the prose bops and bounces in a self-contented manner:

These dull stylistics are all the more condemnable for the fact that Bakker is perfectly capable of reaching beyond this: a brief prelude, set two thousand years before the events of the novel, actually manages to capture some bleak grandeur, after which the book quickly begins to deflate. It would be even good if it were not for too many silly fantasy names. Bakker is apparently working under a quota when it comes to diacritics.

The Kay connection deserves elaboration: any knowledgeable reader who grabs the introductory part of the Prince of Nothing saga will notice that Bakker’s perhaps closest literary relation is bestselling fantasist and world-class hack Guy Gavriel Kay. This is not because they both write historically-inspired fantasy, but because they write in a strikingly similar manner. Kay has a certain set of “Kayisms” that he recycles in all of his novels. One has already been mentioned above), and another is philosophizing about certain classes or types of people. At times one suspects that principal characters such as the sad wizard Drusus Achaemenes and his prostitute lover Esmeralda (‘whore’ is a word of marked prolificacy in the novel) were ghost-written by Kay. The first chapters of Kay’s The Last Light of the Sun and Bakker’s novel make for an illuminating comparison:

Here one can observe the genre preoccupation with “world-building,” and making it feel “natural”. Even Kay defaults to it, despite ostensibly writing about real cultures under different names! Yet another Kayism not foreign to Bakker is the need to underline the meaning and significance of events and portents, which always conveys a sense of desperation on the author’s part:

Both Bakker and Kay are admittedly absorbing writers in spite of their faults, or perhaps because of them. They have their differences, and the deciding one is that Kay acts out the role of pop historian with many of his novels – fascinated by the peculiarity and vitality of the past and its inhabitants – while Bakker writes like a sadist and nihilist. Kay’s adoration of common people and lionization of Great Men is offensive for its patronizing nature, but there are worse things. Kay writes badly but not unpleasantly. Bakker writes badly and unpleasantly. The bleakness of his story does not make it more truthful or insightful. His exploration of the fanatical vainglory of the First Crusade is rather perfunctory, despite occupying so much time.

Some might defend Bakker on the basis of his academic credentials, but Bakker does not write The Darkness that Comes Before like a philosopher. Philosophy is to Prince of Nothing much like science is to speculative fiction: not a tool for understanding, but an aesthetic. Aristotle, among others, is repurposed and renamed for “world-building” purposes. Bakker does not have any philosophical treatise or thesis to propose, and covers for a lack of profundity in his novel with sheer volume. In the 600-page long first part of what will at least be a septology, Bakker introduces an army of figures, factions, metaphysical concepts, and faux-Tolkien names, yet has very little of interest to say. Clevin. Mostly he offers observations of stereotypes (“Whores sell themselves,” the wizard says, nodding sagely, “and you must be the whore when the time comes”), and rebrands medieval history while genre bullshit works at the margins (“A memorable challenge!” the villain of the prologue croaks, channelling the spirits of a thousand stock baddies).

Bakker has one trick as a writer: overwhelming readers with a sense of doom and gloom. The dread of his world has superficial appeal that does not stand up to a critical eye. It is a psychologically and aesthetically sterile domain, and one seen begins to long for the levity of a postcolonial novel. His “philosophical” fiction does not teach. Umberto Eco immediately comes to mind as a legitimate alternative in the field of fiction – the abbey of The Name of the Rose is small compared to the Three Seas, but is at the centre of a vast mental universe. It is also written as to imitate pre-modern literature, despite its many compromises with the demands of modern novels, in contrast to Bakker’s banal and patronizing prose. Bakker’s novel cannot reach the expansive, speculative reaches of philosophy – even Kay breezes past him. The Darkness that Comes Before sinks for its baggage.

And since we simply can’t end things without some infernal onyx juice:

That comparison to visual novels is more felicitous than it seems: R. Scott Bakker’s Darkness that Comes Before is on the level of a Type-Moon production.

Good post. Thanks for writing it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Good post. Thanks for writing it.

FYI, you are citing a poster that have been kicked out of almost every thread he has participated in.

In actual thread things, McDonald is great and the Luna series is not even the best he has written.
He hits that niche that Gibson stopped doing long ago.

Also, the latest Morgan was enjoyable. While certain parts of Morgan’s writing is rather cringe-worthy I have always enjoyed his utter rage and cynicism.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cardiac posted:

FYI, you are citing a poster that have been kicked out of almost every thread he has participated in.

Yeah SA is full of oversensitive fans, tell me something I don't know.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

When BOTL actually criticizes genre books and writes posts like the one above, it’s good and funny. I completely agree with his analysis of Bakker, although I’ve read and enjoyed the series BOTL dismembers in the quoted post above. Unfortunately, BOTL prefers low effort nerd baiting that only brings drama to the forums. That’s why he’s probed 90 percent of the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

When BOTL actually criticizes genre books and writes posts like the one above, it’s good and funny. I completely agree with his analysis of Bakker, although I’ve read and enjoyed the series BOTL dismembers in the quoted post above. Unfortunately, BOTL prefers low effort nerd baiting that only brings drama to the forums. That’s why he’s probed 90 percent of the time.
I'm finding the difference mostly comes down to "do I like the book he's roasting Y/N". I mean, I like Wolfe, I think some of the points he used against him were unfair but it was pretty funny so whatever; some people will poo poo on genre fiction no matter what. Basically, don't take him seriously.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

mewse posted:

So did I! I mean, I thought it was absolute trash, in the very worst best airport-thriller style, but I really enjoyed it!
It was dumb semi-coherent pile of setpieces which read very much as though he'd taken to heart the old Chandler adage of "When you don't know what to do next, have a man burst through the door with a gun."

And sometimes that's just what I want out of a book. :shrug:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I'm finding the difference mostly comes down to "do I like the book he's roasting Y/N". I mean, I like Wolfe, I think some of the points he used against him were unfair but it was pretty funny so whatever; some people will poo poo on genre fiction no matter what. Basically, don't take him seriously.

I mostly ignore him, since he doesn't actually say anything interesting. Then I again, I don't consider literary critic as something worthwhile.
In the end a book is just a book.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

mewse posted:

Man I'm not current. I thought people kept misspelling remade and wondered how you remake a book.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How's Robert Jackson Bennett's latest? I was really looking forward to it after enjoying the whole Divine Cities trilogy but but it kinda got pushed back in my list and it doesn't seem to have come up here much.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished DWJ's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland, which is a sort of Devil's Dictionary of epic fantasy, written with the framing that all epic fantasy is, basically, a guided theme park tour of "fantasyland" (which explains its formulaic repetition and why no-one is allowed to kill the Dark Lord until they've paid for the third book tour), and this book a guide and rulebook for would-be protagonists tourists.

Like The Devil's Dictionary and The Devil's D.P. Dictionary, it runs out of amusement before it runs out of material; it's probably better read in short bursts interspersed with something else. It can be a fun game to read each entry and see if you can figure out if it's ripping on a specific book or author (and if so, which one) or just a recurring cliche or genre convention.

I've now started in on The Dark Lord of Derkholm, a novel of hers which is basically the same premise turned into a story rather than a glossary; it opens with the Generic Fantasy Council discussing (a) who has to be the Dark Lord for the upcoming tourist season, (b) how best to mitigate the damage from dozens of tourists marching through waving their magic swords and each one thinking they're the saviour of the world and (c) whether it's possible for them to exit the tourism business entirely, because it comes with a lot of collateral damage and is seriously loving up the economy.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

When BOTL actually criticizes genre books and writes posts like the one above, it's good and funny. I completely agree with his analysis of Bakker, although I've read and enjoyed the series BOTL dismembers in the quoted post above. Unfortunately, BOTL prefers low effort nerd baiting that only brings drama to the forums. That's why he's probed 90 percent of the time.

BOTL may exist solely to burst into threads about enjoying Thing in order to say "actually, Thing is Bad and you shouldn't enjoy it", but at least they sometimes put in the effort to explain why Thing is Bad. That's often interesting or funny, and has substance you can engage with if you care to.

In contrast, I'm pretty sure you could replace A human heart with a cron job that posts "book is poo poo, don't read it" to a random TBB thread once a day and it would take at least a month before anyone noticed.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

a human heart is a demon created specifically to torment me with posting about tantalizingly attractive books that are unavailable on Kindle and don’t ship to my country

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Got Luna from Tor club and the guy really knows how to write a hook. The space run that opens the book is great.

Library at Mount Char was $2 on kindle yesterday so I’ll finally be getting around to reading that too.x

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Has this thread ever brought up God's War by Kameron Hurley before? Or anything by her? I didn't realize I was missing a bug-infested sci-fi thriller until it walked into my life and told me that the main character sold her uterus in the first sentence of the book.

I'd call it more cultural-focused sci-fi than hard, as it wants to spend way more time exploring the ramifications of a society where 96% of all men are off at war, so it's women everywhere, and privileges have been flipped on their head. The author is definitely a feminist, which I'm digging.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has this thread ever brought up God's War by Kameron Hurley before? Or anything by her? I didn't realize I was missing a bug-infested sci-fi thriller until it walked into my life and told me that the main character sold her uterus in the first sentence of the book.

I'd call it more cultural-focused sci-fi than hard, as it wants to spend way more time exploring the ramifications of a society where 96% of all men are off at war, so it's women everywhere, and privileges have been flipped on their head. The author is definitely a feminist, which I'm digging.

It was a recurring thread favourite a while ago -- I think last year when her stand-alone novel The Stars Are Legion came out. Try searching for [threadid:3554972 "God's War"].

I bounced off God's War less than halfway through the book but loved TSAL.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I just finished up Vita Nostra, a translation of a novel written in Russian by Sergey and Marina Dyachenko. It's in the same genre as Harry Potter/The Magicians etc. where a girl attends a secret magic school but I think only terms of the broad plot elements. It's pretty different, "dark" is what the reviews keep saying but I'd call it grim? Or maybe stark? Stark is probably not the right word, because it's not without optimism, either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

It was a recurring thread favourite a while ago -- I think last year when her stand-alone novel The Stars Are Legion came out. Try searching for [threadid:3554972 "God's War"].

I bounced off God's War less than halfway through the book but loved TSAL.

Thanks!

Grimson posted:

I just finished up Vita Nostra, a translation of a novel written in Russian by Sergey and Marina Dyachenko. It's in the same genre as Harry Potter/The Magicians etc. where a girl attends a secret magic school but I think only terms of the broad plot elements. It's pretty different, "dark" is what the reviews keep saying but I'd call it grim? Or maybe stark? Stark is probably not the right word, because it's not without optimism, either.

What do you like about it?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ToxicFrog posted:

BOTL may exist solely to burst into threads about enjoying Thing in order to say "actually, Thing is Bad and you shouldn't enjoy it", but at least they sometimes put in the effort to explain why Thing is Bad. That's often interesting or funny, and has substance you can engage with if you care to.

I thought they existed solely for Clevin edits

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

What do you like about it?

It's way closer to the Magicians than Harry Potter, but the ways that Sasha is self centered aren't quite so hate-able and upper-middle class white boy eunni as they are with Quentin. I say this as someone who has in the past had an unfortunate amount in common with Quentin. I really love and identify with parts of The Magicians trilogy but I recognize their narrowness at the same time.

I also like that unlike lots of other books that do this thing there's a real sense of mystery about why they students are there. The place these students go is called The Institute of Special Technologies and the tasks they're given start out nonsensical, but the reason for them being there and the end goal of their "education" unfolds slowly and interestingly as the book goes on. As a reader of the genre we have a little more insight into what's happening then the students, but not that much so I kept wanting to read to understand what was going on. Sasha isn't a character whose life I identify with that closely, but none the less I really feel for the ways that she struggles.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

juliuspringle posted:

wondered how you remake a book.

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold/dp/0615508812/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been reading a lot of upbeat, optimistic sci-fi lately, but I'd like a change of pace. What are the best books that involve first contact with an alien species that maybe doesn't really go as planned? I'm sure there's tons, but the only one I've read in recent memory is Blindsight.