Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you're just eating a Heated Fruit then yeah it's going to seem mushy and gross compared to the cool, crisp, fresh version. It's all in the preparation. A baked apple is gross, but an apple pie with whipped/ice cream is wonderful. A warm squishy strawberry by itself is awful, but strawberry sauce on your waffles... mmmmm.

:emptyquote:

e: and what a pagesnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Did anybody notice the room they fall into at the end is totally empty, with no one in the chair, and a LARGE stack of paperwork that looked like it needed to be checked?

Guys, God is dead.

Yeah, the tons of bags of mail and the overloaded bin marked "Extremely Important" definitely points to something being up:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

After 5 centuries of no new arrivals, the good-placers gave up on paperwork and descended into hedonism.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They realized all dogs go to the good place, so they're busy just playing with the dogs.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I finally remembered; the best banana preparation ever is banana brulée. Halve a ripe banana lengthwise, lay the two down with the flat sides up, sprinkle your sugar of choice across the tops, and light those bitches up with a kitchen torch until just bubbly.

Super easy, super tasty, super impressive looking if you have guests over.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Maybe they quit?

Made the threshold impossibly high then sealed themselves off in Good Place neighborhoods.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It turns out the universe is recursive and they landed in the bad good place and need to get to the good good place

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RBA Starblade posted:

It turns out the universe is recursive and they landed in the bad good place and need to get to the good good place

S4E1: Further Up and Further In

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It could be that they weren't getting any more work so they lost motivation to work on that in-pile since nothing new is gonna get added to it and unless the deadline isn't the end of the universe, there's probably no rush at that point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The fact that the only papers are in the Very Important file implies a lot depending on what they are - if they are souls that are being categorised by how important (ie how much of an impact they made) they are and that are now abandoned, it could be that rather than a sudden cutoff, as it would be if the Bad Place had started screwing with things, it was a gradual tapering for the preceding 300 years. Fewer and fewer people make it, and by the year 1400 they only have about 10 new souls, all exceptionally big people who set up enormous charities with their limitless wealth, basically buying their way into heaven while the nice humble people just couldn't keep up as an expanding world made it harder and harder to make enough of a dent to get points.

It could even be that there is no danger in the Good Place simply because it's not just quiet, but totally abandoned. Just a bunch of souls and Janets hanging around not even realising that the angels have long since left them to rot in their own bliss.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Well, someone fought to keep Mindy St. Claire out of the bad place, so completely abandoned seems off the table.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Thranguy posted:

Well, someone fought to keep Mindy St. Claire out of the bad place, so completely abandoned seems off the table.

Course, forgot about that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

enki42 posted:

Podcast spoilers:

Apparently Mike Schur confirmed they're in the actual for real Good Place during the table read.

Good. It would take a lot out of the first season's punch if they did that again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Thranguy posted:

Does real world chronology have anything to do with afterlife chronology though? The Jeremy Bearimy effect means Mindy could've gone to the medium place before heaven was abandoned.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It also adds more context for Mindy - The Good Place fought hard enough for her it caused a stalemate - they must have been desperate, finally after 480 years, someone finally earns enough points and they're gonna lose her on a technicality? I don't think so!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Does real world chronology have anything to do with afterlife chronology though? The Jeremy Bearimy effect means Mindy could've gone to the medium place before heaven was abandoned.

I think they're talking about 521 Earth years, because that's the frame of reference that makes sense for analyzing "Which humans have been dying recently and where are they going?"

The writers might cite "Jeremy Bearimy" in order to do a time travel arc, but I don't think they would use it to undermine the show's own exposition. "521 years" was meant to pique the audience's interest about a plot point. "gently caress time, when we said 521 years we meant 6 seconds, and when we said 6 seconds we meant 27 blorps" would be bad; it'd be throwing that story thread in the trash instead of resolving it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The idea that it's super hard to get points now because the things that gave you points were decided on when you could only influence a few thousand people seems pretty legit and I like it.

But Mindy St Clair and the way time works feels like it hurts the revelation of the 512 years. St Clair means the bad place can't be hacking it, it's definitely down to making points mega loving hard to earn. We know that the threshold of points goes up as you get older as well, which is why Doug is hosed.
So if the good place is abandoned like this episode seems to infer (or at least they don't care) what was going on with St Clair? They really need to explain her again now I think. I guess she has the advantage of whatever she did was "new" so that they're assigning points values to it for the first time ever, at least.

But since time doesn't exist and the guys lived for 300 years in the Bad Place how can it be that "512 years passed"? It just feels like that time bit throws it out of whack.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Taear posted:

We know that the threshold of points goes up as you get older as well, which is why Doug is hosed.

We don't know that at all. Another possibility (and the way I interpreted the joke) is that there's some fixed point goal, and 500k sounded good until he realized how little time Doug has left to hit the goal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Do points of an action change over time or over location though? Weed could be perfectly legal now and harmless when used correctly, but 30 or so years ago it could be knowingly breaking the law which is very likely a loss of points. Honour killing would be utterly reprehensible for most of the western world but for some cultures it's considered a way to 'preserve family honour'.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do points of an action change over time or over location though? Weed could be perfectly legal now and harmless when used correctly, but 30 or so years ago it could be knowingly breaking the law which is very likely a loss of points. Honour killing would be utterly reprehensible for most of the western world but for some cultures it's considered a way to 'preserve family honour'.

If the points are set when it's first done then I'd assume it's fine and our laws don't really matter. Remember, it's all about context!

Toast Museum posted:

We don't know that at all. Another possibility (and the way I interpreted the joke) is that there's some fixed point goal, and 500k sounded good until he realized how little time Doug has left to hit the goal.

I realise Michael's good place wasn't quite real but Tahani had 900k and it seems weird that the point threshold would be so enormous. Whereas basing it on how much you've got at that point makes more sense.
I wish we knew how many points St Clair had.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Taear posted:

I realise Michael's good place wasn't quite real but Tahani had 900k and it seems weird that the point threshold would be so enormous. Whereas basing it on how much you've got at that point makes more sense.

Based on this episode though, Michael would have no idea how many points people like Tahani earned - he didn't know how many Doug earned and he didn't know whether that was particularly high or low when he was told how many points he had.

I assume Michael's knowledge of the point system was limited to having an abstract idea of it - people earn points, if they get enough they go to the good place.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Taear posted:

The idea that it's super hard to get points now because the things that gave you points were decided on when you could only influence a few thousand people seems pretty legit and I like it.

But Mindy St Clair and the way time works feels like it hurts the revelation of the 512 years. St Clair means the bad place can't be hacking it, it's definitely down to making points mega loving hard to earn. We know that the threshold of points goes up as you get older as well, which is why Doug is hosed.
So if the good place is abandoned like this episode seems to infer (or at least they don't care) what was going on with St Clair? They really need to explain her again now I think. I guess she has the advantage of whatever she did was "new" so that they're assigning points values to it for the first time ever, at least.

But since time doesn't exist and the guys lived for 300 years in the Bad Place how can it be that "512 years passed"? It just feels like that time bit throws it out of whack.

With Mindy, I assume it's because her foundation would've been so large and so massive that it definitely would've breached the wide reaching scale that the Accountants seem to factor in. Unfortunately, she died just before she could actually put it into action. Remember that the point of contention was if her points could be added posthumously

As far as the "time stream" goes: say it with me: Jeremy Bearimy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

With Mindy, I assume it's because her foundation would've been so large and so massive that it definitely would've breached the wide reaching scale that the Accountants seem to factor in. Unfortunately, she died just before she could actually put it into action. Remember that the point of contention was if her points could be added posthumously

I know, but Jeremy Bearimy doesn't really line up with "it's 2018 now" I guess.

I wonder if Bill Gates is destined for the Good Place.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... they reset their lives at the point of their death after 300+ years in the afterlife

St claire died somewhere in the 1980s/90s.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you're looking for more Mike Schur in your life to tide you over until the show comes back, the 2nd Annual PosCast Holiday Draft came out today. So if you want to hear Nick Offerman, Schur, Alan Sepinwall, Linda Holmes, Brandon McCarthy, and Mike Dicenzo draft their top five holiday characters this is the podcast for you. It's an hour twenty of pure lunacy and bad opinions.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

enki42 posted:

Based on this episode though, Michael would have no idea how many points people like Tahani earned - he didn't know how many Doug earned and he didn't know whether that was particularly high or low when he was told how many points he had.

I assume Michael's knowledge of the point system was limited to having an abstract idea of it - people earn points, if they get enough they go to the good place.

Per "The Trolley Problem," he does know (/claims to know/believes he knows) how many points a given action is worth. That's not much use without knowing how many points someone needs, but I guess the point target was never really his problem before.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

My guess is that the issue is that simple everyday actions lose so many points that the only reason Mindy got in was because since she was dead she couldn’t earn those everyday bad points.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

PASS THE MASH posted:

My guess is that the issue is that simple everyday actions lose so many points that the only reason Mindy got in was because since she was dead she couldn’t earn those everyday bad points.

Chidi is going to feel simultaneously validated and horrified when it turns out that the realities of the world economy 1) make "should I get almond milk" a valid moral quandary per The Points System, and 2) completely unproductive when scale is taken into account

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Jameela Jamil was on Today this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1CPC506zE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just realised in the scene when they first decided to go see the Judge after discussing what their Bad Places would probably be, they were giving the demons waaaaay too much credit assuming that their hells would be in any way personalised. The Demon's are all very boring people, the personlisation was entirely Michael's thing, the only time we ever got an inkling of that in the Real Bad Place was with Real Eleanor in season 1 and she was reading from a memorised script, written by Michael. There will be no crap concerts or infinite camping because Shawn wouldn't be smart enough to think of that, it's all samey physical tortures for him. It'll be butthole spiders and being twisted in two for everyone. One Demon literally needed to ask an ethics professor for help figuring out how to torture someone (although he didn't know it at the time) so they are really pathetic.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

One thing to remember with Jeremy Bearimy, Michael explicitly says that's how time eorks in the afterlife. In the real world time is linear. So521 years on earth is still 521 years

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

One thing to remember with Jeremy Bearimy, Michael explicitly says that's how time eorks in the afterlife. In the real world time is linear. So521 years on earth is still 521 years

So does that mean you stay at the point you died forever and no new people ever come to your paticular afterlife?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Taear posted:

So does that mean you stay at the point you died forever and no new people ever come to your paticular afterlife?

No, I think you die in 2018 and go to the afterlife where it's on Jeremy Bearimy time. Then from your point of view, the next day you welcome to the neighborhood a new arrival who just died in 1984. The next day someone arrives from 2025. It doesn't have to match up, or go in a linear direction.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also then it loops, so you revisit your first day in the afterlife. Somehow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phenotype posted:

No, I think you die in 2018 and go to the afterlife where it's on Jeremy Bearimy time. Then from your point of view, the next day you welcome to the neighborhood a new arrival who just died in 1984. The next day someone arrives from 2025. It doesn't have to match up, or go in a linear direction.

So then how do they say it's been 512 years since someone went to the afterlife?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Jeremy Bearimy and the Earth timeline synced up at precisely that moment, clearly

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are you guys seriously trying to dissect a plot device which clearly exists for the purpose of telling viewers that time works in whichever manner has the most narrative impact for the story? Even the Doctor Who and Legends threads don't discuss why time doesn't wibble wobble when someone does a timey wime.

BioEnchanted posted:

I just realised in the scene when they first decided to go see the Judge after discussing what their Bad Places would probably be, they were giving the demons waaaaay too much credit assuming that their hells would be in any way personalised. The Demon's are all very boring people, the personlisation was entirely Michael's thing, the only time we ever got an inkling of that in the Real Bad Place was with Real Eleanor in season 1 and she was reading from a memorised script, written by Michael. There will be no crap concerts or infinite camping because Shawn wouldn't be smart enough to think of that, it's all samey physical tortures for him. It'll be butthole spiders and being twisted in two for everyone. One Demon literally needed to ask an ethics professor for help figuring out how to torture someone (although he didn't know it at the time) so they are really pathetic.

Chidi had a whole subplot where a demon wanted his advice on how to personalize someone's torture.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
To be fair, time travel is maybe the least impressive part of Legends.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how expensive would Stephen Merchant be to come on with some regularity? Given that his department is the one where the rules are made, i.e. how many points a given action costs, I'd expect the Accountants to feature more prominently going forward, but actor availability and $ would probably make that difficult-ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inkspot posted:

To be fair, time travel is maybe the least impressive part of Legends.

Legends is also pretty consistent with how they handle Time Travel for the most part outside of the balls kicking paradox.