Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FORM 6969

QUESTION ONE: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (just hands):
QUESTION TWO: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (oral):
QUESTION THREE: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (anal):
QUESTION FOUR: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (other):

Please multiply the number in Question 1 by $10; Question 2 by $20; Question 3 by $30; Question 4 by $40

Total:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

auditing form 6969's gonna be one hell of a tax audit

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Did he even watch the movie? Bale played Batman.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ague Proof posted:

He's famous for fast-forwarding through the talky bits of films though and even the best of us had trouble with Bales weird growl in parts of those...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

FORM 6969

QUESTION ONE: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (just hands):
QUESTION TWO: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (oral):
QUESTION THREE: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (anal):
QUESTION FOUR: Please list the number of homosexual sexual acts committed in the past year (other):

Please multiply the number in Question 1 by $10; Question 2 by $20; Question 3 by $30; Question 4 by $40

Total:

I remember this chapter from David Foster Wallace's The Pale Queen

KickerOfMice posted:

Our government needs more medieval weapons.

We have our own ceremonial mace which has very similar functions. It even also has two places to store it depending on the state of Congress at the time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
TELL ME ABOUT THE BEARS AND CHINESE.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So how long before Trump starts demanding pictures of Spider-Man?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“Got any of that Bat shark repellent?”

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

haveblue posted:

I remember this chapter from David Foster Wallace's The Pale Queen

I see you, there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol tpm noticed in the transcript that trump actually was planning on blaming the shutdown on pelosi but got baited into owning it

quote:

HOUSE SPEAKER-DESIGNATE PELOSI: Well, thank you, Mr. President, for the opportunity to meet with you so that we can work together in a bipartisan way to meet the needs of the American people.

I think the American people recognize that we must keep government open, that a shutdown is not worth anything, and that you should not have a Trump shutdown. You have the White House —

THE PRESIDENT: Did you say “Trump” — oh, oh.

HOUSE SPEAKER-DESIGNATE PELOSI: A “Trump shutdown.” You have the White House —

THE PRESIDENT: I was going to call it a “Pelosi shutdown.”

HOUSE SPEAKER-DESIGNATE PELOSI: You have the Senate. You have the House of Representatives. You have the votes. You should pass it right now.

THE PRESIDENT: No, we don’t have the votes, Nancy, because in the Senate, we need 60 votes and we don’t have it.

HOUSE SPEAKER-DESIGNATE PELOSI: No, no, but in the House, you could bring it up right now, today.

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, but I can’t — excuse me. But I can’t get it passed in the House if it’s not going to pass in the Senate. I don’t want to waste time.

HOUSE SPEAKER-DESIGNATE PELOSI: Well, the fact is you can get it started that way.

THE PRESIDENT: The House we can get passed very easily, and we do.

HOUSE SPEAKER-DESIGNATE PELOSI: Okay, then do it. Then do it.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/transcript-ownership-update

pelosi played trump like a goddamned fiddle

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Proves that nerds are dead wrong when they say everyone could figure out Bruce Wayne was Batman.

The Donald having dementia is one thing but honestly the amount of stories actors have about every day people thinking they are their characters is depressing.

Like ok if you think reality TV is real I'll forgive you because at least it's presented that way but scripted TV and movies???? I can't.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I always wondered why the UK Conservative party were called "Tories", so I looked it up, and apparently it originally comes from the Middle Irish tóraidhe (modern tóraí) meaning "outlaw, robber, brigand". Which... honestly, from what I've seen of UK politics, sounds about right.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
"I was gonna call it the Pelosi shutdown but then I realized... wait... I don't NEED you, bitch! This is MY Shutdown, ya hear? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

VitalSigns posted:

The DUP doesn't have to stick to that agreement if the Tories pick someone unacceptable to them right?

Or have they already said they'd supply the votes for anybody the Tories pick.

Oh no, yeah, the DUP can pull their support whenever they like. They already have in a couple of important votes.

They loving hate May though, so it's hard to think who they'd support less. A new leader will change the dynamics for sure, but it's not going to cause an automatic re-arrangement or anything.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Koalas Massacre posted:

Proves that nerds are dead wrong when they say everyone could figure out Bruce Wayne was Batman.

The Donald having dementia is one thing but honestly the amount of stories actors have about every day people thinking they are their characters is depressing.

Like ok if you think reality TV is real I'll forgive you because at least it's presented that way but scripted TV and movies???? I can't.

But Shatner is Kirk. He's a piece of poo poo, but he is Kirk.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

quote:

Sir, it's begun. They've donned their gay apparel.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

So its official right? Joe Manchin is now worse than a generic Republican. There is no counter argument, he is going to kill us all.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

lol tpm noticed in the transcript that trump actually was planning on blaming the shutdown on pelosi but got baited into owning it

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/transcript-ownership-update

pelosi played trump like a goddamned fiddle

This reads like a conversation with an Alzheimer’s-riddled grandpa.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

@thread: who would you rather have as Senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer or Joe Manchin?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part was schumer mocking trump and trump completely not getting it and going "we did win! we won there!"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Grapplejack posted:

@thread: who would you rather have as Senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer or Joe Manchin?

I'll take 'heat death of the universe' behind door number three, please.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

A sack of flour.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Terror Sweat posted:

So its official right? Joe Manchin is now worse than a generic Republican. There is no counter argument, he is going to kill us all.

Does his new position really make a difference given that Republican's control the Senate anyway? If a good Dem had that chair what would they do?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

FORM 6969

Total:

It's gonna be a tax on glory holes because Republicans love tax evasion.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Besesoth posted:

I always wondered why the UK Conservative party were called "Tories", so I looked it up, and apparently it originally comes from the Middle Irish tóraidhe (modern tóraí) meaning "outlaw, robber, brigand". Which... honestly, from what I've seen of UK politics, sounds about right.

In the states during the Revolution it was also a derogatory name for the Loyalists

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Super-Id posted:

Does his new position really make a difference given that Republican's control the Senate anyway? If a good Dem had that chair what would they do?

It depends on how strictly the majority leader is about letting that committee and only that committee handle key elements of energy policy that relate to global warming. Manchin being ranking member isn't that meaningful in itself, the danger is if Dems take the Senate and he becomes Chairman - and being ranking member makes that quite likely.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1072877376495894532

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

bobjr posted:

So how long before Trump starts demanding pictures of Spider-Man?

None because apparent Jameson is a hardcore leftist according to some comic nerds.

He just hates spider-man.

Because spider-man is black

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mims/status/1072506323466637313

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

It depends on how strictly the majority leader is about letting that committee and only that committee handle key elements of energy policy that relate to global warming. Manchin being ranking member isn't that meaningful in itself, the danger is if Dems take the Senate and he becomes Chairman - and being ranking member makes that quite likely.

How long does he hold that position for? Is it redetermined in 2 years? And does being ranking member make it more likely because his colleagues are more likely to respect that as a reason to nominate/vote for him?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Man I interpreted the headline as Trump thinking he, hmself, was Bruce Wayne, which also made a terrible kind of sense

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crabtree posted:

But Shatner is Kirk. He's a piece of poo poo, but he is Kirk.

Better example: Jeff Bridges is the Dude IRL.

Remember when right-wingers got mad that Bradley Cooper wasn't literally Chris Kyle? Good times

Terror Sweat posted:

If a generic Republican got that post coal would be mandatory, also you would be allowed to run your furnace on LGBT people.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

That dude is at my school.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Super-Id posted:

I talked a bunch with an ex-Booker staffer friend of mine who focused on environmental stuff when he worked there about this yesterday and the answer is "not really". If the Dems had a majority it would matter but no one cares who the ranking member is and he and I struggled to think of a scenario where Manchin being ranking member would matter for climate change, since a scenario in which he's a decisive vote means we already have GOP defections.

Now if we take the Senate in 2020 then yeah, it's a serious issue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Super-Id posted:

How long does he hold that position for? Is it redetermined in 2 years? And does being ranking member make it more likely because his colleagues are more likely to respect that as a reason to nominate/vote for him?

Theoretically it's redetermined every session, so yes it'd come up in 2020 after the election. And basically yes that's why it matters - the ranking member is basically the most senior person on the committee in the minority; the chairman is usually the most senior person in the majority, so the default is that the ranking member becomes the Chairman. To avoid that, you would need to either give Manchin some other chairmanship so that he voluntarily doesn't seek the Energy chairmanship, or you have to very obviously pass him over. Democrats could have passed him over now, but declined to. They would have more motivation to do so in 2020 - passing over Manchin now gives them nothing - but presumably they'd like to have shuffled him elsewhere now to avoid the problem and didn't or were unsuccessful.

So yeah, that's why it's bad: him being ranking member makes it much more likely he's chairman in 2020 if Dems take the Senate. That said, I think Dems taking the Senate in 2020 is likely to be a veeeeeeeeery narrow majority if they manage to pull it off, so it may be somewhat academic if he can bottle up climate change policy in committee or by voting against it.

But my recollection is it's not hard to have multiple committees with jurisdiction over something as broad as climate change so you could always bring a bill from a different committee with overlapping jurisdiction to the floor.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

*slides up next to same sex partner* "hey baby, do you want to commit tax fraud"

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I can't read the article, what fuckery is Harvard up to with California Water?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1072832023927185408

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1072836035514634240

bog standard trump tweets.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Cohen being sentenced right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Probably because they didn't "give Iran 150 billion dollars" you fat loving lump of fetid poo poo