Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1072732961865269248

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1072801016125493255

:thunk:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/pamfoundation/status/1072617041008488449?s=19

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Forest fires 200,000,000 gallons
Cities 150,000,000 gallons
Almonds 36,000,000,000 gallons
Wetlands 10,000,000 gallons
someone who is good at ecology please help me budget this. my state is drying

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Forest fires 200,000,000 gallons
Cities 150,000,000 gallons
Almonds 36,000,000,000 gallons
Wetlands 10,000,000 gallons
someone who is good at ecology please help me budget this. my state is drying

How are almonds still so relatively cheap if they take so many resources to grow?

Subsidies?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

How are almonds still so relatively cheap if they take so many resources to grow?

Subsidies?

Because they don't pay for the water, only for the delivery mechanisms.

Koschei
Sep 14, 2007

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

welp, I'm probably going to have a job when the new year starts. It's going to have excellent benefits, full healthcare, dental, etc.

the bad news is now I work for the Defense Logistics Agency and therefore helping the US and it's allies murder browns.

Radicalize your co-workers and take over the organization!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Subsidies?

Make the cost public and the profits private :capitalism:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dreddout posted:

Welcome back buddy :)

thank you friend

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Look for Yasha Levine's "Pistachio Wars" if you want to see the insanity that is Cali's agriculture

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Of all the bizarre poo poo in this timeline, Pam Anderson's political awakening os one of the more perplexing to me.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

woke pam is loving wild

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zillions magazine posted:

woke pam is loving wild
Trump should appoint her ambassador to France.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/DavidCovucci/status/1072530998443892736

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Bert Roberge posted:

Subsidies?

You'll want to check out the latest dollop. Also, prob chomp on one of those wood dowel things they give people for shock treatment so you don't grind your teeth down at the absurdity

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Almonds and pistachios are paid for with human misery.

Oh and if you're interested in the California nut game, I can recommend digging into the topic of Nut Theft. This article is kind of long but totally worth the time.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2186526/nut-job

quote:

“When you look at the logistics needed to complete this crime,” he told me, all signs point toward an organized group. “You steal 370,000 pounds of almonds, you’re not ­going to sell it on the side of the road.”
In recent years, nut theft has ­exploded into a statewide problem. More than 35 loads, worth at least $10 million, have gone missing since 2013. The number and style of the thefts—quick and professional, as if the characters from Ocean’s Eleven had descended on the Central Valley—have drawn the attention of federal organized-crime investigators and prompted the creation of a regional task force. 

Apparently the Armenian mafia and other cartel-like groups have been orchestrating elaborate thefts of nut harvests. They send fake drivers with forged documents to pick up truckloads of nuts (which can be worth millions of dollars) and then steal them, repackage them, and sell them on the black market. The problem is getting pretty severe, but the only person empowered to stop it was a lone agricultural Detective. However he managed to attract some attention, and A Nut Theft Task Force was created, and in 2015 there was something called "The Emergency Nut Theft Summit"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
My question is why is there even such a big market for pistachios and almonds which are, let's be honest, poo poo-tier nuts. Is this linked to the global conspiracy to ruin cookies by putting almonds in them?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yes, kind of

Pistachios and dried fruits are actually delicious, especially ones grown in the middle east (particularly Iran) but the California companies that produce them have a monopoly on them, and use their financial influence on Washington to encourage sanctions and embargoes on countries that would be their competition. They also aggressively push for their own nuts to be sold. With their monopoly secure they can make the nuts as poorly as they please, and do such things as use fracking wastewater to water the nuts. It's a nightmare

Edit:

“Pistachio Wars”: How the Resnicks’ Snack Food Fortune is Fueling the Assault on Iran

twoday has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Dec 12, 2018

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

ol qwerty bastard posted:

My question is why is there even such a big market for pistachios and almonds which are, let's be honest, poo poo-tier nuts. Is this linked to the global conspiracy to ruin cookies by putting almonds in them?

My guess is almond milk?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
almonds rule

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the advertisements for pistachios with that goddamned cgi elephant are all over MSNBC

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

emdash posted:

almonds rule

Eat raw almonds.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zillions magazine posted:

woke pam is loving wild

Wasn't she always kind of ecolo, like anti-fur and pro-wildlife and stuff? I vaguely remember something like that from the 90s.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Too bad she's a big time zionist donor though

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Pistachios are not poo poo tier, they're delicious.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wasn't she always kind of ecolo, like anti-fur and pro-wildlife and stuff? I vaguely remember something like that from the 90s.

PETA, I think.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

She was big into PETA.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Too bad she's a big time zionist donor though

Yeah her political position is basically those left-of-center Israelis who know how to say the obvious about how a tiny minority of landlords make it impossible for anyone to own a home, and how "reforms are needed," but never manage to get anywhere because they still unconditionally support the imperialism that reinforces capital.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Mycroft Holmes posted:

welp, I'm probably going to have a job when the new year starts. It's going to have excellent benefits, full healthcare, dental, etc.

the bad news is now I work for the Defense Logistics Agency and therefore helping the US and it's allies murder browns.

fuk u

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

DiggityDoink posted:

Pistachios are not poo poo tier, they're delicious.

we need to abandon saudi arabia to be friends with iran so we can get their delicious nuts

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

also so california does not begin to resent the absence (of water)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tastykake posted:

we need to abandon saudi arabia to be friends with iran so we can get their delicious nuts

But without the context

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

munching on ahmedinejad's tasty iranian nuts

twoday
May 4, 2005

We need to call on the UN to take action now, and finally do something to get BOFA legislation passed once and for all

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Mycroft Holmes posted:

browns

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Hey that's what the interviewer said

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
holy poo poo, rest in piss

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

lol guys my mom's a chud now let me tell you how Africans don't have real culture.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

All in favor of putting the Cleveland Browns out of their misery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Somewhere behind the Great Firewall there is an identical post about Europe.