Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
did some coding last night

I wrote a tool on my 9000/433s to extract the files from the tape images of Domain/OS 10.4… so I could turn around and use dd to write them to a DAT from which I could start an installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

been trying to figure out what glibc's loving problem is now
code:
[me@laptop ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade
[sudo] password for me: 
Last metadata expiration check: 1:21:19 ago on Sat 08 Dec 2018 08:50:31 PM CST.
Dependencies resolved.

Problem 1: cannot install both glibc-headers-2.27-35.fc28.x86_64 and glibc-headers-2.27-32.fc28.x86_64
  - glibc-headers-2.27-32.fc28.i686 has inferior architecture
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package glibc-headers-2.27-32.fc28.x86_64
  - problem with installed package glibc-headers-2.27-32.fc28.i686
 Problem 2: package glibc-headers-2.27-32.fc28.i686 requires glibc = 2.27-32.fc28, but none of the providers can be installed
  - cannot install both glibc-2.27-35.fc28.i686 and glibc-2.27-32.fc28.i686
  - cannot install both glibc-2.27-35.fc28.x86_64 and glibc-2.27-32.fc28.x86_64
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package glibc-headers-2.27-32.fc28.i686
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package glibc-2.27-32.fc28.i686
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package glibc-2.27-32.fc28.x86_64
=============================================================================
 Package              Arch          Version             Repository      Size
Skipping packages with conflicts:
(add '--best --allowerasing' to command line to force their upgrade):
 glibc                i686          2.27-35.fc28        updates        3.4 M
 glibc                x86_64        2.27-35.fc28        updates        3.6 M
 glibc-headers        x86_64        2.27-35.fc28        updates        460 k

Transaction Summary
Skip  3 Packages

Nothing to do.
Complete!
[me@laptop ~]$ 

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
uninstall the i686 headers.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Trying to figure out why it's already there before I start removing glibc stuff and breaking something

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

brand engager posted:

Trying to figure out why it's already there before I start removing glibc stuff and breaking something

you won’t. the 64 package contains both 32 and 64 bit headers. I ran into the same issue.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

i686 packages have to be manually added to the AMD64 version of the distro and they screwed up the update (alternately, they screwed up the original Fedora 28 release by including it in the first place and have been manually fixing it every glibc update except this one)

the good news is that glibc-headers.i686 is identical to the x86_64 version of the package and can be safely removed (RPM knows that the files are shared between the i686 and x86_64 versions of the packages and won't delete them as long as the x86_64 version is still installed)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

huh the x64 version required it for some reason
code:
[me@laptop ~]$ dnf repoquery --whatrequires glibc-headers.i686 --installed
glibc-devel-0:2.27-32.fc28.i686
glibc-devel-0:2.27-32.fc28.x86_64
[me@laptop ~]$ 

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
got X11 working!

turns out the stock /etc/fstab doesn’t have entries for either the ptyfs that provides /dev/pts or the tmpfs that backs /var/shm

X11R7 with just a few xterm windows is surprisingly usable in 16MB, but I installed more RAM tonight and with 72MB it doesn’t even hit swap to do some basic stuff with X, e.g. xterm, xman, xedit, xclock, and the all-important xeyes

of course if I want to write my own stuff for X, I have some new reference material…

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what does t stand for in Xt? i assume it’s the same as t in Qt, which I also do not know of

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

toolkit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

X toolkit, short for X toolkit intrinsics

it’s an API for implementing controls, but doesn’t itself have any

the next layer up are toolkits like Xaw (Athena widgets) and OLIT (Open Look Interface Toolkit) that provide sets of controls built with Xt

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh, i see

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

X toolkit, short for X toolkit intrinsics

it’s an API for implementing controls, but doesn’t itself have any

the next layer up are toolkits like Xaw (Athena widgets) and OLIT (Open Look Interface Toolkit) that provide sets of controls built with Xt

Of course, nothing more recent than Motif uses it. It's dead early 90s tech. Qt doesn't use it, nor does gtk.

Edit: I used to work at Trolltech. I think Qt's a riff on Xt, it was originally supposed to be pronounced 'cute' but noone actually did that.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 9, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

got X11 working!
X11R7 with just a few xterm windows is surprisingly usable in 16MB, but I installed more RAM tonight and with 72MB it doesn’t even hit swap to do some basic stuff with X

now you can run emacs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
YOSPOS > 2018 LOTD: I got X11 working!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

seriously contemplating trying to build emacs 18 or 19 but I don’t know if modern NetBSD and X11 will be compatible

I just tried to build xfm-1.4.3 from source and it worked (with tons of “missing sentinel” warnings) after only a couple tweaks to get alloca() from <stdlib.h> rather than <alloca.h> and to not redefine sys_errlist (ugh)

I haven’t installed and tried it yet because I’m not sure how to tell it to install in /usr/local instead of /usr/X11R7, I’ve never actually dealt with imake before

(I did tell it not to use Xaw3d or the 3D pixmaps, why would you not want it to use the standard Athena widget set?!)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
why not emacs 26?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
why emacs?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eight megs and constantly swapping

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ratbert90 posted:

why emacs?

because playing with retro operating systems is fun

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why not emacs 26?

because I’d prefer to only build for a day, not a week, and I have much more confidence 18 or 19 will run reasonably in the RAM that I have (72MB real, 384MB swap)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

vim HEAD vs. emacs 18 would be a fun comparison imo

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

eschaton posted:

2018 the year of NetBSD on Apollo

it’s surprisingly usable with only 16MB but I haven’t managed to startx yet, it changes palette, clears the screen, and then drops back to text saying that the X server is exiting

a 68040 with 16mb was a beast in the amiga days, of course it's usable

x is probably going to work fine too if you manage to run it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

vim HEAD vs. emacs 18 would be a fun comparison imo

turns out they both suck

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

turns out they both suck

Like you would know good HEAD from a hole in the ground.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Forums search doesn’t come up with anything, but surely the POS has seen this interview with Stallman in the New Left Review of all outlets?

https://newleftreview.org/II/113/richard-stallman-talking-to-the-mailman

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

You’re widely recognized as the world’s leading campaigner for software freedom, having led the development of the GNU operating system. Today, the GNU /Linux operating system, and free (libre) software more broadly, underpin much of the internet, yet new structures have emerged that can wield a great deal of power over users. We’d like to talk to you about the present computing landscape and the political relevance of free software. But may we start by asking about your formation, as a programmer and as a thinker—how did it all begin?

[eats toe jam]

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Zlodo posted:

a 68040 with 16mb was a beast in the amiga days, of course it's usable

x is probably going to work fine too if you manage to run it

it does, it just needed some extra entries in /etc/fstab that weren’t put there by the installer for some reason

of course it runs much much better in 72MB

last night I set up my 10Base-2 to 10Base-T bridge and the system is now on my network, and accessible via ssh—boy does it take a while to log in, and the host key is relatively weak too

I also enabled mdnsd but unfortunately there’s no config file in that version that supports automatic service registration, so I need to write a script or something to do a dns-sd -R virtue _ssh._tcp . 22 or whatever for all the services I care about at startup

NetBSD really needs a modern initialization system…

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

eschaton posted:

does it use rc.d scripts or similar? i've never really used netbsd

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

NetBSD just uses straight up rc.d scripts and rc.conf and I think FreeBSD and OpenBSD do too

it has useful function libraries that make the typical script very simple, but it’s still a script and there’s no on-demand activation like (say) mach_init and launchd offer

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs gets proper swapfile support in 4.21! finally

Btrfs Restoring Support For Swap Files With Linux 4.21

tl;dr remember nocow (chattr +C)

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 12, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

btrfs gets proper swapfile support in 4.21! finally

Btrfs Restoring Support For Swap Files With Linux 4.21

tl;dr remember nocow (chattr +C)

lol you use btrfs

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's the better fs, it even says so in the name

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for tinkering about rc.d is fine and good, and netbsd is only fine and good for tinkering around

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I legit laughed out loud when I saw this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

el dorito posted:

I legit laughed out loud when I saw this

yup me too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

:twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

:goofy: