Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Woah woah woah my friends!

No one is wrong for disliking a game or liking a game. These are all opinions remember. We do not need to attack the person posting the opinion, just discuss the content of the opinion itself.

If it looks as though it will not be fruitful, move on to a new topic, you are not mandated to reply to every post :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CrRoMa posted:

I think even Zelda fans would accept an 8.8 for that one

Agreed because that game is Hitler

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Tonight I get to move onto chapter 7 (I think). As I do not live with Lady VG and she is just as caught up in the Yakuza 0 story as I, I have been making sure not to advance the plot but still wishing to play it. As such I have taken over the Leisure King district with all S ranked properties and am now working on the gambling king properties. :D

This is how my wife and I played Yakuza. It kills my progress, but she’s so into it that I didn’t mind not playing it to share it with her. :3:

I am off for the next couple weeks as of Friday afternoon, so I am hoping to blast through as much of my backlog as possible. Wanna finish HZD, Uncharted 4, and GOW if I can.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now that I’m dipping my toes in the world of 4K, I’m thinking it’s about time to upgrade my old PS4 to a pro.

I’ve seen little bits about certain early versions of the pro being loud as hell when the fans kick up, if I get the new Red Dead bundle is it going to be some slightly different, quieter system?

E: also vague question but is it worth it? I really wanna see rocket league and dark souls 3 in 4K.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 12, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Now that I’m dipping my toes in the world of 4K, I’m thinking it’s about time to upgrade my old PS4 to a pro.

I’ve seen little bits about certain early versions of the pro being loud as hell when the fans kick up, if I get the new Red Dead bundle is it going to be some slightly different, quieter system?

Yes, actually. The RDR2 bundle introduced a new minor rev of the Pro hardware that should be quieter than any other Pro.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s definitely worth it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rolo posted:

E: also vague question but is it worth it? I really wanna see rocket league and dark souls 3 in 4K.

The new PS4 Pro is quieter. It's definitely a bump but probably not enough of one to lose sleep over. Like if there's a good trade-in deal and you can get it for around $100-150 sure, or you need a 2nd console anyway and the inclusion of RDR2 is a nice bonus, but don't pay $400 just to "upgrade" especially since the PS5 or whatever is probably only like 2ish years off.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Noctone posted:

Wait until No Man's Sky goes on sale again, it's like the ultimate chill out and listen to music/podcasts game.

I have it but haven't played since launch. I've heard there has been a bunch of changes since then. Is it worth revisiting now?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

loudog999 posted:

I have it but haven't played since launch. I've heard there has been a bunch of changes since then. Is it worth revisiting now?

Yeah for that use case it is IMO.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

It's definitely a bump but probably not enough of one to lose sleep over.

I mean you literally won't be able to sleep if your Pro fan is running

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

loudog999 posted:

I still wouldn't recommend it on PS4, particularly a Pro if you have one, the framerate is shockingly bad.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I mean you literally won't be able to sleep if your Pro fan is running

I keep watching mine to see when it's going to start hovering off the table. It does sound like a wind turbine sometimes. I just tell myself it's all that gaming power getting released, not that it's probably just loaded with 3 lbs of cat hair. Thankfully it is easy to take it apart and blow out the fan but I probably don't do it enough.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

univbee posted:

The new PS4 Pro is quieter. It's definitely a bump but probably not enough of one to lose sleep over. Like if there's a good trade-in deal and you can get it for around $100-150 sure, or you need a 2nd console anyway and the inclusion of RDR2 is a nice bonus, but don't pay $400 just to "upgrade" especially since the PS5 or whatever is probably only like 2ish years off.

It would be a combo of trade in of my base PS4, some store credit I’ve been sitting on and getting a free 60 dollar game I was gonna buy soon anyways.

How loud is the newest PS4 pro compared to a 4 year old PS4 fat boy? My system sits like 5 feet from the couch I sit in when I play.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rolo posted:

It would be a combo of trade in of my base PS4, some store credit I’ve been sitting on and getting a free 60 dollar game I was gonna buy soon anyways.

How loud is the newest PS4 pro compared to a 4 year old PS4 fat boy? My system sits like 5 feet from the couch I sit in when I play.

There seems to be a bit of a luck-of-the-draw component to how loud the PS4 you get is. I've had several PS4's and by far the loudest was the launch day unit I traded in for a day one PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro can definitely "ramp up" but mine has never been what I would call loud, although some have said that theirs have been insanely loud especially with RDR2, but I think all the "bundled with RDR2" units are reasonably quiet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Observor and the early cutscenes in Spider-Man are a good test of the fan

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

VideoGames posted:

Woah woah woah my friends!

No one is wrong for disliking a game or liking a game. These are all opinions remember. We do not need to attack the person posting the opinion, just discuss the content of the opinion itself.

If it looks as though it will not be fruitful, move on to a new topic, you are not mandated to reply to every post :D

i'm sorry, VideoGames, i'll try harder. sometimes my blood just boils when i haven't played Yakuza for a few hours, i need help.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm sorry, VideoGames, i'll try harder. sometimes my blood just boils when i haven't played Yakuza for a few hours, i need help.

Sounds like you need more Yakuza.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

univbee posted:

Sounds like you need more Yakuza.

i have some work i really should be doing and then i'm finishing up substories in yakuza 3 and going straight into yakuza 4, probably by friday, hell yeah!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol its because it has neither of those things is why you get mocked.

Yeah, it has a mechanical set up that can get annoying. You don't have to worry about leaping off your horse to attack a random NPC and stab them in the throat with a knife and watch the life drain from their eyes but you do have to keep in mind the constant pausing and weapon swapping. Or if you want to make lot of food you've gotta do them one at a time and sit through a cooking animation every time. It'd be nice if there was a kitchen or something where you could just point at a recipe for however many ingredients you have and just make all of it at once or something.

And also a way overcome rain, the second mightiest foe in the game besides gravity.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

And also a way overcome rain, the second mightiest foe in the game besides gravity.

Build a bonfire and wait it out, like any decent person

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

did you not get the zora suit?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

acksplode posted:

Build a bonfire and wait it out, like any decent person

Vikar Jerome posted:

did you not get the zora suit?

My bad I meant climbing through the rain.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

My bad I meant climbing through the rain.

nah its okay, i had to google it, thought for sure the zora suit let you climb while it rained, seems i was wrong.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BotW, RDR2 and Shadow of the Colossus are all welcome in my GOAT list. Even without playing past the first few hours of SotC I can tell it’s special. I can’t wait to play through it!

What are you all playing leading up to Christmas? I’m hopefully finishing RDR2 but for now I’ve decided to jump back in to Overwatch after missing the last few events. I miss the game and the winter event is always enjoyable. Gonna be rusty but oh well.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rolo posted:

I'm almost positive that Dark Souls 3 isn't higher resolution on the pro, it only gets slightly higher frame rates but nowhere near 60. Not a game to get excited about the upgrade over.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

BotW, RDR2 and Shadow of the Colossus are all welcome in my GOAT list. Even without playing past the first few hours of SotC I can tell it’s special. I can’t wait to play through it!

What are you all playing leading up to Christmas? I’m hopefully finishing RDR2 but for now I’ve decided to jump back in to Overwatch after missing the last few events. I miss the game and the winter event is always enjoyable. Gonna be rusty but oh well.

I just beat Iconoclasts (very good game btw) and I was thinking about checking out the FFXV episodes since I got the royal edition on sale recently. I still have RDR2 to finish but for some reason I'm having a hard time convincing myself to go back to it. And I'm dying to get Smash Ultimate but that's for another thread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just beat Iconoclasts (very good game btw)

Another game I gotta finish.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm gonna get nice and deep into DQXI leading up to Christmas, it just seems like a cozy game that's perfect for this time of year. I also just picked up Tetris Effect which I can't wait to try out. Yakuza Kiwami is on my backlog, so maybe might dip my toes in that sometime soon since ya'll have given me the itch for more Yakuza.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I beat it in about 10 hours so it's not an overly long game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just beat Iconoclasts (very good game btw) and I was thinking about checking out the FFXV episodes since I got the royal edition on sale recently. I still have RDR2 to finish but for some reason I'm having a hard time convincing myself to go back to it. And I'm dying to get Smash Ultimate but that's for another thread

The FFXV episodes are great, each character plays different enough from Noctis that it’s not just more of the same gameplay. It’s missing the chill out factor of the main story but I liked them a lot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

I'm gonna get nice and deep into DQXI leading up to Christmas, it just seems like a cozy game that's perfect for this time of year. I also just picked up Tetris Effect which I can't wait to try out. Yakuza Kiwami is on my backlog, so maybe might dip my toes in that sometime soon since ya'll have given me the itch for more Yakuza.

DQXI does seem perfect for this season. I’ll have to get it going soon after the new year at the latest. It’s not like our Florida winters are anything that cozy anyway. Still nice for that kind of big rpg + breezy open windows.

You’re going to love Tetris Effect. It’s so good. It has found a really odd niche for me where I mostly use it as a low stress podcast listening game. The intense modes are the bread and butter but the Chill Marathon mode is a stress buster. It’s easy to autopilot if you’re not worried about maximizing your score every time.

+1 on the Yakuza itch. Kiwami 1 is calling me! I’m glad I’m waiting a while after 0 to boot it up though. It sounds like it would be rough going straight to it. I can’t wait to see where the story goes either way.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh yeah of course I’m mostly playing SMAAASH lately. How could I forget that? It’s so good. Similarly great for sp like Soul Calibur VI. I’m not sorry about loving fighting games with solid sp. It’s relaxing zoning out and having Jigglypuff dropkick Snake into out of a virtual yoga studio.

Nintendo :swoon:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I’m curious about Iconoclasts. It gets brought up enough around here to be worth a try. The things I’ve heard about the story/themes interest me, though I haven’t heard very much.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm playing new Vegas right now, i loved 3 and put dozens of hours it, i got nv for Christmas in 2010 and just never took the time to sit and play it

I've heard a lot of folks say its the best fallout and I'm enjoying it so far 4 hours or so in, just got to Novac.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CrRoMa posted:

I'm playing new Vegas right now, i loved 3 and put dozens of hours it, i got nv for Christmas in 2010 and just never took the time to sit and play it

I've heard a lot of folks say its the best fallout and I'm enjoying it so far 4 hours or so in, just got to Novac.

Yeah, it’s made by the guys who did the first two so it’s more of a direct sequel. The quest design is fantastic.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Everytime someone mentions New Vegas, my first thought is the Tom Clancy game. Don't want to start another shitposting derail, but am I the only one who has zero interest in Fallout games? I tried 3 a couple times and just could not get into it whatsoever. I assumed I'd love the game since Oblivion and Skyrim are GOAT to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BisterdDave posted:

Everytime someone mentions New Vegas, my first thought is the Tom Clancy game. Don't want to start another shitposting derail, but am I the only one who has zero interest in Fallout games? I tried 3 a couple times and just could not get into it whatsoever. I assumed I'd love the game since Oblivion and Skyrim are GOAT to me.

I don't really enjoy the Fallout aesthetic. They're all very ugly-looking, monochromatic games. NV was okay though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh yeah of course I’m mostly playing SMAAASH lately. How could I forget that? It’s so good. Similarly great for sp like Soul Calibur VI. I’m not sorry about loving fighting games with solid sp. It’s relaxing zoning out and having Jigglypuff dropkick Snake into out of a virtual yoga studio.

Nintendo :swoon:

The single player modes in Ultimate are more appealing to me than multi lol. I never really played Brawl or 4 but I played an insane amount of the Melee single player modes

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really enjoy the Fallout aesthetic. They're all very ugly-looking, monochromatic games. NV was okay though.

Exactly! The environments are just so ugly and bland. I can't stand the survival management as well, it's annoying to constantly be scrounging for ammo or health. If you think NV is worth checking out though then I might give it a shot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Akuma posted:

I'm almost positive that Dark Souls 3 isn't higher resolution on the pro, it only gets slightly higher frame rates but nowhere near 60. Not a game to get excited about the upgrade over.

That’s a bummer but one game I’ve been holding off on until I fixed my tv was Horizon. Now that I have the tv and the system I think it’s time.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it’s made by the guys who did the first two so it’s more of a direct sequel. The quest design is fantastic.

So far I'm really struck with the quality of the writing and how engaging the dialogue is

Its the most minor predictable fallout thing ever but i just accidentally skipped a main quest by reading a terminal entry. I still want to go to the place the quest would have taken me though its just great that's a thing in the game

I adored fallout 3, i get why people dont like the games but their deficiencies however minor are compensated for having the most interesting world and places in games for my money

Few locations in games stand out in my mind like Tenpenny Tower or Megaton or Rivet City or Oasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am still mostly playing Smash but I plan on going through Moss soon