Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In ErfWorld news, Rob Balder is falling deep into a money pit because of his wife's medical bills (which is tragic), his refusal to use ads (which is admirable but unsustainable), and his attempt to fund the site with cryptocurrency crashing and burning (which is hilarious).

His response to this has, of course, been to redouble the pedantry perfectionism rambling quality and content of the comic's updates at the cost of update speed. In a comic where half his income is a per-update subscription/patron model.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm so glad I stopped paying attention to rob balder.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Imagine if we had universal healthcare and Rich and Rob didn't have to worry about paying ridiculous medical bills :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edit: not actually funny

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ikanreed posted:

I'm so glad I stopped paying attention to rob balder.

God, no kidding. There was interesting enough world-building and some really well written arcs, but after a while it’s just like get to the goddamn point already, and preferably in under 5000 words per update.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Okay, hands up: who else would gladly buy the OOTS edition of Monopoly?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'd prefer he license a better board game tbh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rygar201 posted:

I dunno I think I'd rather play Monopoly than the actual boardgame.

I mean the expansion exists to make the game shorter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rygar201 posted:

I don't have much faith. The OOTS board game managed to be longer and grindier than Monopoly. Being Belkar was fun though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I actually managed to finish that a few times because my brother LOVES board games, but even for that crowd it could be a bit long. :v:

Unrelated: What are the best examples of long term foreshadowing used in this comic? I know there's a few mind blowing examples people thought of, but I forget them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cuntellectual posted:

I actually managed to finish that a few times because my brother LOVES board games, but even for that crowd it could be a bit long. :v:

Unrelated: What are the best examples of long term foreshadowing used in this comic? I know there's a few mind blowing examples people thought of, but I forget them.

That's a great question... Maybe tarquin? Belkars death is still on the cards... The shadow guy and xykons instructions from start of darkness...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Imagine if we had universal healthcare and Rich and Rob didn't have to worry about paying ridiculous medical bills :smith:

Indeed, UHC tends to be a great boon for creative types who don't necessarily enjoy the benefits of a steady job with benefits.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cuntellectual posted:

We see the letter to Haley about Ian's imprisonment in strip #131 and actually see him for the first time in #744.

Tarquin has him beat, though, since he's mentioned by Nale in strip #50 and shows up for the first time in #722.

The one he held onto longest that's paid off, though, was the "Durkon turns undead" gag strip from the alternate version of strip #3. You can find the original #3 (where Durkon "turns undead" by becoming a ghoul) as bonus material in the print version of "Blood Runs in the Family". Rich decided then that it was something he wanted to do for real, so he pulled the gag strip and held onto the idea....which finally paid off in #878! If you want to use #16, where Durkon mentions how much he hates undead and how he turns undead at the slightest mention of them as foreshadowing then that's the longest currently competed bit, going from #16 to #878!

The absolute king, of course, is the Monster in the Darkness who appeared first in #23 and as of the current strip #1147 still hasn't been revealed yet!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Has Elan used his Neutralize Poison spell yet? It's not nearly as far back as MitD, but I'd hope that he gets to save the day and make Therkla's death meaningful.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TunaSpleen posted:

Has Elan used his Neutralize Poison spell yet? It's not nearly as far back as MitD, but I'd hope that he gets to save the day and make Therkla's death meaningful.

He used it on Roy once, but it didn't really help much.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It saved V from getting killed by the bounty hunters, but the paralysis was enough to keep V from being able to overpower them.

Prediction time! Minor one first. I'm betting that the Tinna story is going to be used to vouch for Durkon's identity. It meant that (in the context of the afterlife) Minrah trusted Durkon enough to tell it to him, since there's no other way he could have known about it.

Major one- I think Tiamat's going to turn out to have been a big player all along. That post from awhile back about one of Odin's nonsensical ravings turning out to be true conspicuously left out the first thing he said- that kicking Durkon out of his homeland just so he could eventually meet them in the afterlife was a dickish thing to do that was very unlike Odin. What if that prophecy was actually Tiamat's doing, to the same purpose? She's explicitly been stated to also have the power of prophecy. Given how incomprehensible Odin is lately, all she would have to do is present the prediction to Odin's priest in such a context that either he believes it came from Odin directly or that he would be motivated to lie about the true source.

The latest worldbuilding about how Outsiders aren't supposed to know also fits in to this. Thor just ignored all the prohibitions about telling people backstory just becuse Minrah had some vague information and that's the chief loophole. I could easily see Tiamat doing the same if the Archfiends approached her about it. At minimum it seems unlikely looking back that she actually accepted their dumb marketing gimmick story. Even the little demon with a weird name I can't remember realized what was going on pretty fast, as did V once she'd calmed down and had time to think the sequence of events through rationally. Surely Tiamat would've known what was going on if she didn't already, and demanding the death of fivefold dead good dragons would have seemed pretty out there if she didn't have some inkling that the Archfiends could actually do it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Thor chat seemed to indicate that their scheme didn't have a lot of parties and was mostly just his and Loki's and Odin's (sorta) idea. My wager is that Tiamat is sponsoring the IFCC's goal of destructive, unnecessary conflict, but her endgame is recreating the conditions of The Dark One's apotheosis. If bloody warfare is what it takes to raise up one unsponsored god, why shouldn't it be able to create another? One who then will not get the same welcome as TDO and might be more amenable to the idea of a four-quiddity seal on the Snarl.

The fiends may or may not be in on it, but it is a good point that they do know the secret lore of the Sapphire Guard.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

HisMajestyBOB posted:

The Goblins comic author would be dead or destitute if he was American instead of Canadian from that brain hemorrhage he had.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I sure hope Rich is okay.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Phenotype posted:

It has been a long couple weeks waiting for durkon's comeuppance about irresponsible sex

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ikanreed posted:

It has been a long couple weeks waiting for durkon's comeuppance about irresponsible sex

You'd think the priesthood would warn about STDs (sexually transmitted dwarves)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Phenotype posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1148.html Rich is okay.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Minrah is pretty cool, too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This must be why the casting time for these spells are so long

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like I should have predicted this, Minrah didn't strictly need to exist in those scenes aside from the obvious.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

PMush Perfect posted:

I feel like I should have predicted this, Minrah didn't strictly need to exist in those scenes aside from the obvious.

Is her role in the story to die again tragically? To carry on durkon's legacy in a way that his son and baby mama can't after he dies tragically?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ikanreed posted:

Is her role in the story to die again tragically? To carry on durkon's legacy in a way that his son and baby mama can't after he dies tragically?

to replace Belkar?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ikanreed posted:

Or just to help out and survive? She doesn't have to die, but even if she does she dies fighting to protect the world she knows for a fact she's going to Valhalla. Sad, but not really that tragic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

seaborgium posted:

Or just to help out and survive? She doesn't have to die, but even if she does she dies fighting to protect the world she knows for a fact she's going to Valhalla. Sad, but not really that tragic.

Oh dammit. Just realized. She's gonna cast one specific low level cleric spell to save them: cure disease

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ikanreed posted:

Oh dammit. Just realized. She's gonna cast one specific low level cleric spell to save them: cure disease

I forgot all about that. It'll be a one panel side joke where Roy sneezes, and she casts it on everyone so they don't get a cold or something.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

He IS the best god.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ikanreed posted:

I don't get it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

NihilCredo posted:

I don't get it.
Sphinx pox

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

NihilCredo posted:

I don't get it.

They've all got the Sphinx Pox, and will die in six weeks from it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Durkon is a cleric too.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Mystic Mongol posted:

They've all got the Sphinx Pox, and will die in six weeks from it.

When the hell did that happen?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

blastron posted:

When the hell did that happen?
Yeah, I'm super confused, too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hel mentioned it to Thrym following the frost giants' attack on the airship. Apparently she infected Mr. Scruffy with it back when the party was over on the Western Continent, and used him as the vector to spread the disease to the party.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That kind of direct intervention seems illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The whole story will be done before the pox matters, that was the joke.