Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blade Runner posted:

The reason Gawain is the way he is is because the last time he chose doing what he felt was right over loyalty, it led to them losing Camlann and both he and Artoria being killed.

Basically, he directly disobeys Artoria's order to let Lancelot go without punishment when he returns to France and goes to fight him(which is totally fair, Lancelot basically slaughtered his entire family on the way out the door)which results in the guy who can't be been beaten under the sunlight and the guy who can't be beaten period fighting until night, at which point Lancelot injures him and he leaves.

Then, during Camlann, Lancelot comes to try and assist, but Gawain refuses his help and tells him to go home; again, it's hard to blame the guy for having a grudge against him for murdering his family, but Lancelot was strong enough that him beating Mordred and her entire army by himself wouldn't even be a little inconsistent with how he was generally written, so rejecting his help was a bad idea. Then, he's still too injured from the fight to beat Mordred himself, so they lose and his King dies.

Basically, he just doesn't trust himself to make decisions because he feels too guilty to do so, so he'd rather just do literally anything whoever is in charge of him says, or things will probably end up worse.

The kicker, of course, is that making the decision to let someone else make all the decisions is itself an important decision that he completely screwed up.

Camelot. 'tis a silly place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

His biggest mistake was his constant insistence on cooking for his King and fellow Knights.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

His biggest mistake was his constant insistence on cooking for his King and fellow Knights.

This isn't Gawain's fault, at some point you have to just start dumping garbage into Seiba's endless maw

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blade Runner posted:

This isn't Gawain's fault, at some point you have to just start dumping garbage into Seiba's endless maw

She's the king, they can drat well afford a full-time cook.
That's absolutely Gawain's fault.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gawain says that Percival also cooked and was "better" than him.

Give me Percival dammit!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gawain says that Percival also cooked and was "better" than him.

Give me Percival dammit!

Sorry, some MarySue bastard son of an OC fanfic addition completely stole his role and he is unnecessary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sorry, some MarySue bastard son of an OC fanfic addition completely stole his role and he is unnecessary.

But we know he exists in the Nasuverse!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gawain’s mashed potatoes may not have been very good but you do have to give him credit for managing to make them like a thousand years before the potato was brought to Europe.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Percy was one of the knights who sided against the Lion King in Camelot

I want him to show up and then every time he tries to do anything Galahad does it instead

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap the alternate version of Samba Quetz's NP features commentary by a special guest

https://twitter.com/appmediafgo/status/1072802755729735682/video/1

Also Merlin shows up in Bradamante's bond 4 and 5 voice lines. Like, she doesn't just mention him, he actually starts talking.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Santa Quetz is basically a budget version of the recent lostbelt ruler, being crit focused.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

FGO HeartGold and FGO SoulSilver

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Tae posted:

Santa Quetz is basically a budget version of the recent lostbelt ruler, being crit focused.

N..no?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Charisma + stars per turn

Star Absorb

Some form of Mana Burst

She's looking very promising.

Edit: Quetz's NP, in addition to boosting her stargen for 1 turn, boosts all allies' Critical damage for 3 turns (based on OC). She's looking very promising.

Is that wrong?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Crits are not the focus of shi huang, their thing is being a tank

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Besides all the things Qin does that aren't damage focused, I guess, like the np that turns him into an immovable rock for a turn, his aoe stun skill, his aoe charge reduction skill, his self heal that also debuff cleanses and charges his np 50%, yea they're extremely similar.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Welfare Quetz is probably more comparable to Raikou or Suzuka if anything, just a lot tankier than those two purely by dint of being ruler class.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am just picturing the KotRT reunion at Chaldea with Gawain being summoned last. Mash, Mordred, Tristan, Artoria, Lancelot, and Bedivere all there to greet him.

Then he suggests that in celebration, he should cook them all a meal!

Mash, being Mash, of course is thrilled at the idea and says that would be a GREAT idea!

Mordred just looks incredibly irked.

Tristan is doing that Japanese thing where he's just looking incredibly depressed with GLOOM effects all around him.

Artoria's eyes are completely in shadows, and she's standing there trembling ever so slightly with a frown on her face.

Lancelot is glancing at Artoria going 'OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo' as his Son/Daughter digs him into an even deeper hole with his King.

Bedivere is standing there with a bright smile on his face... except that his head is tilted 45 degrees, as though something inside him just broke.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Is that wrong?

Huang has disruption based skills and becoming an invincible tank for a turn alongside buffing HIS OWN crit damage and absorb

Santa Quetz has crit stargen, damage, and an AOE NP, she is purely damage focused alongside party wide damage buffs

They are not very similar outside of being Ruler-class servants who in some way buff crit damage

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

by this standard wouldn't like half of the rulers be crit focused

quetz, qin, holmes

but they're all doing different things outside of stars. quetz having none of the stall of qin definitely sets her apart (and is fitting given rarity) and holmes is a support versus qin being selfish

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Omobono posted:

She's the king, they can drat well afford a full-time cook.
That's absolutely Gawain's fault.

do we know for a fact that Gawain is a bad chef or does he just exclusively make traditional English dishes?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Rorahusky posted:

I am just picturing the KotRT reunion at Chaldea with Gawain being summoned last. Mash, Mordred, Tristan, Artoria, Lancelot, and Bedivere all there to greet him.

Then he suggests that in celebration, he should cook them all a meal!

Mash, being Mash, of course is thrilled at the idea and says that would be a GREAT idea!

Mordred just looks incredibly irked.

Tristan is doing that Japanese thing where he's just looking incredibly depressed with GLOOM effects all around him.

Artoria's eyes are completely in shadows, and she's standing there trembling ever so slightly with a frown on her face.

Lancelot is glancing at Artoria going 'OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo' as his Son/Daughter digs him into an even deeper hole with his King.

Bedivere is standing there with a bright smile on his face... except that his head is tilted 45 degrees, as though something inside him just broke.

Proto Arthur and Gawain get into a cooking competition, killing all of the knights once more

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just assumed one of lostbelt ruler's strength was crit just because his crit bonus was that massive.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

...who?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Galahad is the biggest Mary Sue OC written into Arthurian myth

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Tae posted:

I just assumed one of lostbelt ruler's strength was crit just because his crit bonus was that massive.

It's more of a bonus to him when he has a team that can support it better. He can't make enough stars for himself and he would need enough np fed to him to keep that buff going. He's most definitely a big staller first and a really greedy dealer second.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Lancelot was originally from a totally different legend that just ended up being shoved into Arthurian stuff as a crossover thing which is why he doesn't really fit thematically, he's ridiculously good at everything and has always been insanely overpowered for the Arthurian setting

Then people wanted to push the Christian angle more so they made Lancelot an adulterer(in original legends he was almost definitely a homosexual)which meant he couldn't be the best knight, but they made it his kid instead

For how much is a Mary Sue his kid is: a child of the previous strongest knight ever, pulls out a sword that's better than Arthur's from another also better rock but then throws it down because he does not believe in violence, easily retrieved the Grail and then says "later idiots" before flying off into space, entering Heaven immediately

The Fate version of all these things is different, but well

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he can solo pretty well, not sure what CE the video i saw used but stars didn't seem to be too big an issue

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Blade Runner posted:

Lancelot was originally from a totally different legend that just ended up being shoved into Arthurian stuff as a crossover thing which is why he doesn't really fit thematically, he's ridiculously good at everything and has always been insanely overpowered for the Arthurian setting

Then people wanted to push the Christian angle more so they made Lancelot an adulterer(in original legends he was almost definitely a homosexual)which meant he couldn't be the best knight, but they made it his kid instead

For how much is a Mary Sue his kid is: a child of the previous strongest knight ever, pulls out a sword that's better than Arthur's from another also better rock but then throws it down because he does not believe in violence, easily retrieved the Grail and then says "later idiots" before flying off into space, entering Heaven immediately

What's Lancelot's original myth? I've only ever really seen him in Arthurian contexts.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Pureauthor posted:

Galahad is the biggest Mary Sue OC written into Arthurian myth

But Galahad is our waifu.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blade Runner posted:

So what you're saying is, in about 500 years Arthurian legends will also feature a Japanese cook as an extra character? And possibly Leonardo da Vinci as a time-traveling guest?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Holmes is definitively the crit Ruler.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
QSH is both a staller and one of the best Crit Damage dealers in the game. He keeps his team alive and dishes out heavy damage when you get his NP looping (and it’s pretty easy to double up with his 50% battery even without arts support). He’s great.

Santa Quetz is more like regular Quetz but with stars per turn instead of an np charge skill and AOE NP. Her kits pretty vanilla tbh, was hoping for something a little weirder. Still good though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Blade Runner posted:

Proto Arthur and Gawain get into a cooking competition, killing all of the knights once more

But Arthur is a good cook.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Transient People posted:

What's Lancelot's original myth? I've only ever really seen him in Arthurian contexts.

That's actually harder to say, because Lancelot is a really composite-esque character when you look at him closely. He's based off of both Tristan and Diarmuid in some part, and the original story where we see the modern "Lancelot" is Le Chevalier de la Charette, which is an adaptation of an older story but rewritten to include Lancelot as the hero. Due to the nature of the Vulgate cycle and how it was basically just a story totally about him(Alongside the fact that the Vulgate is probably much older than the thirteenth century, but underwent extremely heavy revisions during that time to the point of being completely rewritten by very Christian authors) it's a relatively common thought that the Vulgate was originally a totally distinct story that just got shoved into Arthurian stuff.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yay, got Bradamante. Did not expect her first sprite to have less clothes than her banner art, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just assume all Arthurian myth really stems from the Sam Neil 1998 miniseries Merlin.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bakanogami posted:

Holy crap the alternate version of Samba Quetz's NP features commentary by a special guest

https://twitter.com/appmediafgo/status/1072802755729735682/video/1

Jaguar Warrior is just TOO STRONG

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Basically Nasu’s take on Arthurian myth is basically as legit and Valid as everything past the very first known instance of King Arthur, which is a pair of historic records of questionable legitimacy from several hundred years after he supposedly lived. This record mentions Arthur twice. One saying King Arthur had won a battle, the second record simply mentions King Arthur and Mordred fell in battle (it doesn’t even specifically say they were enemies).

[loving autocorrect]

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Basically Nasu’s take care n Arthurian myth is basically as legit and Valid as everything past the very first known instance of King Arthur, which is a pair of historic records of questionable legitimacy from several hundred years after he supposedly lived. This record mentions Arthur twice. One saying King Arthur had won a battle, the second record simply mentions King Arthur and Mordred fell in battle (it doesn’t even specifically say they were enemies).

I mean anything is as valid as anything else when it comes to myths it's all made up and there's like a billion authors