Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
What kind of electrical service do you have in the garage? I will be running two 5600watt electric heaters in my 30x30 garage once I get the conduit run and outlets wired up. Theyre like $120 each at home depot and cost about $5 per 8 hours of runtime each. Won't make it a sauna but as long as it knocks the chill off I will be happy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dr-Infrared-Heater-Industrial-series-5600-Watt-240-Volt-Portable-Garage-Heater-with-Thermostat-DR988/205665598

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's what I want for my one car, but I'm worried with only 100amp service at my house. Wife usually does laundry at night.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If it were me I'd get a cheap plug in electric heater or two from Costco and point them at the engine bay. Stand on a camping mattress to insulate your feet too (cold ground sucks out all your heat). It's only winter for a few months--IMHO not worth dumping a ton of money or complexity at the problem.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Regarding propane heaters - If you're gonna use one indoors, make sure it's rated for indoor use. FWIW, I was always taught kerosene heaters were safer for indoor use, but I can't swear to the truthfulness of the theory, as I was taught by idiots.

Anything beyond hydrogen with a carbon bit on the end gets to produce at least CO2, or "worse" CO when burned.

IME, kerosene heaters chuck out gobs of soot and snot from me, no matter how blue the flame. YMMV.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d use a propane catalytic heater.

They can be safe indoors but you definitely want a carbon monoxide detector in the room.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

iForge posted:

5600 watt electric heaters

Yep, I eventually installed a similar unit down-pointing from my rafters, but I also have a 240 v tap. But it equals only ~20k BTU, so a giant hydrocarbon heater did work well for me to start the heat up quickly. A bunch of $20 1500w heaters helped too for heat maintenance.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

always be closing posted:

That's what I want for my one car, but I'm worried with only 100amp service at my house. Wife usually does laundry at night.

5600 watts at 240 volts is 23 amps. youll be fine

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have 200 amp electrical service to my house due to a pool that no longer exists and I'm not afraid of running 220v to the garage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AI knows for a fact how burnable Jeep Cherokees are.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I want to pick up some chains for my Town Car before the snow flies. I realize that just getting winter tires would likely be better, but I'm in Portland, OR and it snows once a year, tops (and I don't go up to the mountain). Chains are more an emergency thing.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations? I've never used a set. I have these saved on an Amazon wishlist, are they any good?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZA2LA/?coliid=I19NCXHMW6G4LF

I'm going to get a set of 4 whenever I get some.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I don't think there's really a good set of chains, they're all an incredible pain in the rear end to put on and off. Luckily like you said you rarely need them in the PNW, and this winter in particular is going to be a la nina so probably not as bad as some in the past. I have a set that looks similar to the one you mentioned and the one time I used it it was fine. Practice putting them on in the dry, comfortable sunny conditions some day so that when you really do need them and it's a hellstorm of cold wind and ice you won't be loving around as much.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Try snow socks instead.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Find out for sure that chains are even legal on public roads in your area before you buy anything.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Use a sick day instead

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Find out for sure that chains are even legal on public roads in your area before you buy anything.

They are.

always be closing posted:

Use a sick day instead

Doesn't help when I'm working or out with friends downtown when it dumps inches of snow over a couple of hours and I'm not paying attention. The first case, it took me 2 hours to drive 2 miles, the second I ended up leaving my car off on a side street out of the way of traffic and calling a friend with a 4wd vehicle.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What kind of tires do you have and how much tread depth is left?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I want these even though I know I would end up smacking my face into the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcBGfHbOoiU&t=175s

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've had good experiences with tire socks instead of chains, they are much easier to put on and give really good traction on snow, better than chains. They do not tolerate use on asphalt, even at low speed they will get torn up. So this may be an option if it's for emergency use, they are much more compact and lighter than chains.

Found the German TUV did a report on them, looks pretty good (It's in English) : https://www.az-pneu.cz/pics/snehove_retezy/files/TUV_report.pdf

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

What kind of tires do you have and how much tread depth is left?

drag slicks, um what is tread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kafouille posted:

I've had good experiences with tire socks instead of chains, they are much easier to put on and give really good traction on snow, better than chains. They do not tolerate use on asphalt, even at low speed they will get torn up. So this may be an option if it's for emergency use, they are much more compact and lighter than chains.

I sometimes have to go as little as 400 m on an unplowed drive.

Maybe I should get me some socks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

I sometimes have to go as little as 400 m on an unplowed drive.

Maybe I should get me some socks.

Get some boots and walk ya lazy bastard! :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wesleywillis posted:

Get some boots and walk ya lazy bastard! :v:

I actually do walk the route check the conditions, but I have equipment to load and unload.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've gone up an unplowed alpine pass with a pair of those on the front wheels of a front wheel drive car, it was really good fun taking every hairpin at full opposite lock pretending I was in Initial D, but at 30km/h. I was the only idiot dumb enough to be on that road too, just fresh snow the whole way, not a single tire track but mine.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Kafouille posted:

I've gone up an unplowed alpine pass with a pair of those on the front wheels of a front wheel drive car, it was really good fun taking every hairpin at full opposite lock pretending I was in Initial D, but at 30km/h. I was the only idiot dumb enough to be on that road too, just fresh snow the whole way, not a single tire track but mine.

I grew up in rural Minnesota and lived in Fargo, ND for ten years... one thing I miss after moving to Portland is the normal morning drive-to-work gymkhana on slippery, deserted roads. There was one half-mile long, paved but with no housing around it (at that time) that I merrily fishtailed down the entire distance every day. Some of the most fun I've had at 20mph.

Kafouille posted:

Found the German TUV did a report on them, looks pretty good (It's in English) : https://www.az-pneu.cz/pics/snehove_retezy/files/TUV_report.pdf

Huh thanks, I'll have to check that out. My two real concerns are a) do they work, and b) how big of a pain in the rear end are they to get on. The chains I linked earlier are supposedly easier than most to get on but I have nothing to compare to. I'm really just looking for something to get me <10 miles home through some inches of snow when I've made bad decisions to be away from home while it's snowed earlier in the day.

The last car I drove in snow out here was my e30, and while that was hilariously fun, the traffic speed and amount of steep hills made actually getting anywhere impractical. I now have a (WHITE) 2004 Town Car, which has traction control but no LSD, so it'll likely be less fun and look more like a snow drift when I inevitably get stuck. I already have a tow strap in my kit, that and chains should be able to get me home.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

boxen posted:

The first case, it took me 2 hours to drive 2 miles, the second I ended up leaving my car off on a side street out of the way of traffic and calling a friend with a 4wd vehicle.

In my experience, when you're in a situation where you're crawling below 5 MPH due to extreme winter weather things are going to be so hosed anyways with other traffic that snow tires/chains/studs/whatever aren't going to be much of a help getting to your destination quickly.

Not saying you shouldn't get them, but in cases like that there's not much you can do.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kafouille posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that they don't like salt, if you run onto a recently salted road you should clean them(by hand, no washer) once you get the chance or the fabric will degrade and possibly destroy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

boxen posted:

My two real concerns are a) do they work, and b) how big of a pain in the rear end are they to get on.

Yes they work, and unless your car is lowered to the point you can't get your hand over the wheel they're easy to get on.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Geoj posted:

In my experience, when you're in a situation where you're crawling below 5 MPH due to extreme winter weather things are going to be so hosed anyways with other traffic that snow tires/chains/studs/whatever aren't going to be much of a help getting to your destination quickly.

Not saying you shouldn't get them, but in cases like that there's not much you can do.

That follows my experience as well living for thirty years in MN/ND followed by six years in a place where it doesn't snow much. When it doesn't snow much, people don't know how to deal and/or lose their minds. I don't go out when I can avoid it, but sometimes you get caught out in a bad situation. Snow chains go in the winter emergency kit with a blanket, boots, warm clothes, etc.

boxen fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 12, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I’m trying to trace down an electrical problem on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (Auto, 4x4, 4.0), and all of the grounds look good. But, it really looks like a bad ground (major symptoms: gauges zero out, then reset (yes, this is a known issue with the cluster connector, but the usual fixes have not worked, and) it’s occurred simultaneously with symptom #2, which is the transmission failing to shift automatically (starts and stays in OD unless you manually shift), which is consistent with bad ground to the TCM.

So if I look at the grounds and they look and feel secure, my next plan was to use a clamp ammeter to measure flow through the grounds. First question: does this actually work? Second, what range should I be in? I’d imagine the starter might pull 200-400+A, so that’s the top range, but I think most other stuff would be a lot lower. The ammeter I’ve got has ranges for 2, 20, 200, 400A, and I assume I’ll damage it if I’m too low, and I won’t get useful measurements if I’m too high.

I’m also open to ideas, but I did ask the jeep thread, so I’m mostly just looking for sanity check on my tool usage / method.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you can get to the ground to test it why not just remove clean and remake it regardless?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you can get to the ground to test it why not just remove clean and remake it regardless?
Already did, no change. I’m figuring that doesn’t rule out a break in the wire somewhere that I’ve been unable to find.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

CLAMP style current meters will not be damaged if you over-range them. They will just display an out-of-range code, then you move the selector up until you select the correct one.

That said, make sure you have a meter that reads dc, and also make sure to zero it before you start measuring.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MRC48B posted:

CLAMP style current meters will not be damaged if you over-range them. They will just display an out-of-range code, then you move the selector up until you select the correct one.

That said, make sure you have a meter that reads dc, and also make sure to zero it before you start measuring.
Thank you!

It looks like a big fat NO on DC, it's this one: Extech MA200. It specifies that it will measure AC/DC Voltage and AC Current, amongst others, specifically. The fact that it says specifically AC Current inclines me to think it will not measure DC Current.

Would measuring resistance be a better way to check this? (I'm thinking, e.g., the tranny wire-out (bolt, pinout, whatever) to the ground point, should have minimal resistance.)

Has the upside of being doable with a crappy Harbor Freight DMM, rather than me buying a fancy new tool.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
You...you don't WANT to buy a fancy new tool?

I don't understand.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You’re right. How’s extech? I trust the guy I borrowed this from, but I’ve always heard fluke is the one true god.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Look at Uni‐T’s UT210E

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That’s impulse buy territory. Should I be concerned it only ranges to 100A?

It seems like that would cover everything except a starter, so maybe not an issue, but worth asking.

Edit: looks like the 216C covers 600A, but it’s almost the same price as the Extech.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 13, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want to measure starter current, measure voltage drop and work it out from that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sorry, I phrased that way wrong. Other than the starter, 100A should cover automotive stuff, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Krakkles posted:

You’re right. How’s extech? I trust the guy I borrowed this from, but I’ve always heard fluke is the one true god.

This is probably Heresy that will get me burned at the stake, but Fluke is nice, but overpriced.

Like Snap-On, you're paying a bit more for the brand name.

I use an extech 380947 every day. It has its drawbacks (response time), but no one else really makes a comparable product.