Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

This is hilarious, he didn't even make it a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are Bill Blair and Brad Blair closely related?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Drunk Canuck posted:

These motherfuckers are beyond stupid

It really takes you back doesn't it? Back to those halcyon days of 2010-2014

TrueChaos posted:

This is hilarious, he didn't even make it a year.

Make what a year? This doesn't stop BTW, there's just more and more and more stupid lovely ethical violations and petty scandals that will keep coming and never stop, and at no point ever will anyone face real consequences for them. At some point something will go to court and people will be all "here it comes, this matters" and no, it doesn't, and it won't mean a goddamn thing except even more stupidity and vitriol and utter contempt for the electorate and the law.

James Baud posted:

Are Bill Blair and Brad Blair closely related?

They look like they could be brothers, but as far as I can tell they're not. Bill is from Scarborough, Brad is from Essex, ON.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 12, 2018

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EngineerJoe posted:

This is great news since Trump just admitted that he would use her as a bargaining chip to get a better trade deal. Canada doesn't need to be poo poo on by China just to give USA leverage. What a loving Trump.

Edit: Edited post to remove disparaging term.

Welp, so much for the Canadian justice system extraditing her. Guess we may as well talk to the Chinese about that NGO dude they scooped up.

Trump is very good at this presidenting thing. Keep up the good work. :downsgun:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

THREE day bail hearing jfc, she’s going to flee guaranteed

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought that was the point? Isn't this Canada realizing we hosed up by getting involved in a pissing match with China and Trump and just giving ourselves an out? This way she gets to leave and we can say "well we arrested her, not our fault she skipped bail".

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Risky Bisquick posted:

THREE day bail hearing jfc, she’s going to flee guaranteed

Over/under on her securing a new passport under a different name and flies out of Vancouver to Asia in 4 days?

Over

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
China has disappeared a Canadian in retaliation so this is only getting started.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure but the guy didn't even have diplomatic immunity, what does the Canadian government really care? I don't really see what dog we have in this ridiculous fight. Canada has no business pretending to be relevant internationally in the first place, our job right now is to play nice with the literally demented person in charge of the country that is our boss.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChairMaster posted:

Sure but the guy didn't even have diplomatic immunity, what does the Canadian government really care? I don't really see what dog we have in this ridiculous fight. Canada has no business pretending to be relevant internationally in the first place, our job right now is to play nice with the literally demented person in charge of the country that is our boss.

But it's two people and they're both mad at us.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
On the other hand this draws much needed public scrutiny to Huawei in Canada. They have no loving business being involved with 5G for Bellus and we're the last of the Five Eyes (which has its own obvious set of problems) stupid enough to still be allowing them. I guess that sweet Hockey Night in Canada cash is doing something for government good-will but this CFO poo poo show might offset public opinion of them. Having Huawei as the lead story for corruption, spying and some probably bullshit Iranian sanction violations can't be good for their public look to the boomers and other olds who vote and complain on Facebook.

This feels like it's going to go down the road of a right decision for the wrong reasons if Bell and Telus end up having to fork over $1 Bill to remove Huawei 5G equipment

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

less than three posted:

China has disappeared a Canadian in retaliation so this is only getting started.

Arresting someone is not 'disappearing' them lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Ahahahaha. Oh man this should be good for some :munch:

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1072874017982427136

e: The letter from Interim Commissioner Brad Blair to the Office of the Ombudsman

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 12, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

ocrumsprug posted:

Over/under on her securing a new passport under a different name and flies out of Vancouver to Asia in 4 days?

Over

The Bail conditions have her actively monitored with a surveillance detail, she is also supposed to have a electronic bracelet, physical check ins and is banned from the Richmond airport. I highly doubt she can easily flee, there are workarounds of course but she can't just fly out of the Richmond airport, she can't cross the Canada-US border to a different international airport, and she can't leave Vancouver/Richmond to fly somewhere else.

Still I am surprised that she did get bail as she is probably the text book case of flight risk. Rich, ties to other countries, connected to other rich people, and wanted in connection for a crime serious enough to want to avoid it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Godinster posted:

Having Huawei as the lead story for corruption, spying and some probably bullshit Iranian sanction violations can't be good for their public look to the boomers and other olds who vote and complain on Facebook.

This feels like it's going to go down the road of a right decision for the wrong reasons if Bell and Telus end up having to fork over $1 Bill to remove Huawei 5G equipment

If public opinion somehow becomes aware of them, they won’t leave. They’ll set up a boutique brand for the West that’s rebranded Huawei equipment. It’s not Huawei, it’s Maple Technologies or the hollowed out corpse of Blackberry.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm pleasantly surprised we're doing anything contrary to the wishes of the Chinese dictatorship, considering how much of us they own. I wonder how long it will last?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised we're doing anything contrary to the wishes of the Chinese dictatorship, considering how much of us they own. I wonder how long it will last?

OTOH we're doing it specifically at the behest of the Americans so that they can hold her as leverage in a trade war.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

infernal machines posted:

OTOH we're doing it specifically at the behest of the Americans so that they can hold her as leverage in a trade war.

Isn't it technically at the behest of an extradition treaty with the US, which is a nice thing to have assuming the US is acting in good faith. Of course if Trump is dumb enough to say he wants to use her as a pawn in a trade war maybe that provides enough judicial cover to just deny the extradition request and forget the whole thing (not a lawyer).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think the technicality is moot once the President goes on record stating his intent to use her detention for political purposes.

I guess in terms of people we have detained for the Americans for nefarious purposes, this doesn't really rate because we haven't shipped her to a black site to be tortured for a decade, but still.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 12, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey hey. Maybe we could give her ten million in compensation after a decade in Gitmo!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

Hey hey. Maybe we could give her ten million in compensation after a decade in Gitmo!

This is a bad comparison and you should feel bad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I think the technicality is moot once the President goes on record stating his intent to use her detention for political purposes.

Odds on PMJT saying something like "If Trump and Xi want to play chess they can do it with their own pieces" and having her conditions lifted?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Odds on PMJT saying something like "If Trump and Xi want to play chess they can do it with their own pieces" and having her conditions lifted?

None whatsoever.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright which one of ya with the anime avatars did this?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-border-child-sex-dolls-1.4941213

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

None whatsoever.

He really does seem like more of a checkers guy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
In my head cannon of this event there was some kind of behind the scenes maneuvering straight out of the wire, like maybe the Liberal government wanted her to be let go but some conservative voting mid level guy in the boarder service saw that technically there was a warrant for her and decided to follow his job to the letter just to gently caress with the higher ups like something out of The Wire.

I have particular no reason to think this I just think it's a funnier version of events if behind the scenes the Canadian government and its servants were tripping over each others dicks trying to figure out which foreign government they want to keep happy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

zapplez posted:

Alright which one of ya with the anime avatars did this?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-border-child-sex-dolls-1.4941213

Of 42 documented seizures, 30 took place in Quebec. :quebec:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Helsing posted:

I have particular no reason to think this I just think it's a funnier version of events if behind the scenes the Canadian government and its servants were tripping over each others dicks trying to figure out which foreign government they want to keep happy.

From what Dreylad has said about the mid-Century surveillance state, this is almost certainly spiritually true of the matter even if these exact events didn't happen.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Chillyrabbit posted:

The Bail conditions have her actively monitored with a surveillance detail, she is also supposed to have a electronic bracelet, physical check ins and is banned from the Richmond airport. I highly doubt she can easily flee, there are workarounds of course but she can't just fly out of the Richmond airport, she can't cross the Canada-US border to a different international airport, and she can't leave Vancouver/Richmond to fly somewhere else.

Still I am surprised that she did get bail as she is probably the text book case of flight risk. Rich, ties to other countries, connected to other rich people, and wanted in connection for a crime serious enough to want to avoid it.

Why fly when she can just get on a boat and be in international waters in a few hours? Do we even have any Navy or Coast Guard units near Vancouver or Vancouver island that could intercept a fast yacht making a run for open waters?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zeond posted:

Why fly when she can just get on a boat and be in international waters in a few hours? Do we even have any Navy or Coast Guard units near Vancouver or Vancouver island that could intercept a fast yacht making a run for open waters?

All our submarines at CFB Esquimalt :blastu:

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

leftist heap posted:

All our submarines at CFB Esquimalt :blastu:

I know you joke but even when not on fire the sub's max speed is a paltry 12 knots on the surface and 20 submerged. Good luck catching a 30+ knot fast yacht.

Obviously aircraft can intercept but unless we're willing to shoot at what so far has been a non-violent suspect we will need to get law enforcement officers on the hopefully hypothetical getaway yacht.

Maybe we finally found an use for the fast ferries?

Zeond fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Zeond posted:

I know you joke but even when not on fire the sub's max speed is a paltry 12 knots on the surface and 20 submerged. Good luck catching a 30+ knot fast yacht.

Obviously aircraft can intercept but unless we're willing to shoot at what so far has been a non-violent suspect we will need to get law enforcement officers on the hopefully hypothetical getaway yacht.

Wait how is the sub slower on the surface than submerged? or has my super outdated WW2 sub knowledge not carried over to the modern day.

Which was on the surface you can use your high powered diesel engine vs underwater you have to go on battery which traditionally had been slower.

Is there better drag coefficient when you're underwater?

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wait how is the sub slower on the surface than submerged? or has my super outdated WW2 sub knowledge not carried over to the modern day.

Which was on the surface you can use your high powered diesel engine vs underwater you have to go on battery which traditionally had been slower.

Is there better drag coefficient when you're underwater?

Yes. Modern subs are designed to be faster underwater. Comes down mostly to hull shape and a snorkel that can be deployed at shallow depths to allow use of diesels.

More modern non-nuclear subs have air independent propulsion systems to eliminate the snorkel.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zeond posted:

why would they call the submarines hunter-killers if they can't hunt and kill a mere civilian yacht??

otherwise the Halifax frigates can do 30+ knots and are equipped with missiles and a 57mm cannon if that doesn't work out :blastu:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ChairMaster posted:

Canada has no business pretending to be relevant internationally in the first place, our job right now is to play nice with the literally demented person in charge of the country that is our boss.

It might be a new boss soon. Theresa May could lose a confidence vote.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Well obviously, but I'll take it anyways. But yeah, we normally wouldn't have the balls to piss off one master without being pressured by the other. I remember back when some CSIS spook (lol at mounties in the spy game) tried to raise an alarm over how deeply compromised our political and business elites were regarding China. Nobody cared :(

James Baud posted:

If her rights are violated while being innocent of the charges, then yes we would.

vyelkin posted:

This is a bad comparison and you should feel bad.

Don't worry he'll edit it away in a few months or so

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

leftist heap posted:

why would they call the submarines hunter-killers if they can't hunt and kill a mere civilian yacht??

otherwise the Halifax frigates can do 30+ knots and are equipped with missiles and a 57mm cannon if that doesn't work out :blastu:

They were designed to hunt and kill (usually by ambush) other submarines. Modern diesel-electrics hunt by stealth more than speed as they can be even quieter than nukes as the cooling system for nuclear reactors cannot be shut down.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Arresting someone is not 'disappearing' them lmao

What arrest?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/china-says-it-has-no-information-on-detained-ex-canadian-diplomat-1.4214443

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

Well obviously, but I'll take it anyways. But yeah, we normally wouldn't have the balls to piss off one master without being pressured by the other. I remember back when some CSIS spook (lol at mounties in the spy game) tried to raise an alarm over how deeply compromised our political and business elites were regarding China. Nobody cared :(

The proxy wars fought over Canada are going to be so badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

sitchensis posted:

The proxy wars fought over Canada are going to be so badass.

the chinese would treat the natives better than we do so im all for it