Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Duke Nukem 3D is a great game and people jumping on this thread making GBS threads on it are sad goons.

I don't deny that DNF was a bad game (and I own the balls of steel edition) for multiple reasons but Duke3d is a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've only ever played the first level of DN3D.

Ion Maiden looks like it's gonna kick rear end though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Writing-wise, latter day Saints Row is pretty similar to how I'd see a modern Duke game, pop-culture references, bravado, strippers and all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

The guy who did all those idtech source code reviews is publishing a doom book

https://twitter.com/fabynou/status/1071649008588869632?s=19
As an update: There's now a pay-what-you-want version of the eBook version. Which is to say, there's a link to a PDF file accompanied by a Paypal link. If you like learning how things work and don't mind eBooks, give it a look and chip him a few bucks, because he makes basically no money off the print version.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
duke nukem is to 80's action flicks as lo wang is to 70's kung fu flicks. there really isnt much more to it than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mordja posted:

Writing-wise, latter day Saints Row is pretty similar to how I'd see a modern Duke game, pop-culture references, bravado, strippers and all.

This made me think of The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter-day Saints Row, and I have no idea how the hell that would play out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Boss is the new Messiah and stillwater is the promised land

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

site posted:

Boss is the new Messiah and stillwater is the promised land

Sorry but no. In SR, Johnny Gat is the Messiah. He even rises from the dead and even goes to hell to triumph over the devil.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

As an update: There's now a pay-what-you-want version of the eBook version. Which is to say, there's a link to a PDF file accompanied by a Paypal link. If you like learning how things work and don't mind eBooks, give it a look and chip him a few bucks, because he makes basically no money off the print version.

Gotta remember this link, bought the Wolfenstein 3d book to help encourage a Doom book existing, really blows that they make less than a small order of fries off the physical copy, which I will get eventually still, heh it just stinks that reality's got reality.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While not Latter Day, Agents of Mayhem is alternate universe Saints Row, featuring Pierce as the Boss, Gat as a cop who cant stop getting in shootouts with perps, and Kinzie as the exact same Kinzie.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Instead of showing up to the club with guns akimbo, Johnny Gat shows up to the church gymnasium with a pyrex dish of funeral potatoes in one hand and a bag of iceburg lettuce and ranch dressing in the other.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Duke 3D is a great game but it definitely lacks the elegance of design that Doom has. It makes up for it with personality, level design, and weaponry however.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive always disliked the weaponry in Duke, I think its the pipe bombs delay and the freeze/shrink being indirect in a game loaded with hitscan foes.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
duke3d owns, dnf2013 mod for duke3d also owns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Ive always disliked the weaponry in Duke, I think its the pipe bombs delay and the freeze/shrink being indirect in a game loaded with hitscan foes.

If every enemy in Duke was non-hitscanned, I'd like it a hell of a lot more.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Flannelette posted:

If you're talking about the bit where they died that seemed more because he's a tone deaf 1-dimensional, emotionally stunted character than only thinking of women as objects. He'd probably say something equally bad if his best bro or dog got killed in front of him because he can't manage normal human interactions. The writing for the twins seems worse than him.

It was pretty bad. The women were all being kidnapped and being some kind of force-sexed by the alien hive (you could hear them moaning in the level). Duke sees the twins, they say something about gaining weight, then he says something like "It looks like you're.... hosed." It was definitely DNF that he turned into someone hate-able. The only thing before that that was detestable was being able to gib the naked subdued women. But even a lot of the things that make me dislike Duke in DNF came down to NPC worship of Duke. You'd just run into either the President who hated you or random NPCs who all praised you (I think I just described Half Life 2 as well). The only other character I remember was this one cop who acted like a total cokehead frat boy and he was annoying as poo poo.

Duke himself was a parody/love letter for action movie cliches, and there's plenty of space for that today, especially if you want to pull video games into that idea. DNF just spent so many years in the pipe then came out with a mediocre game that was way too full of itself.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Hive was bad. In Duke3D the situation was treated pretty seriously, trying to add comedy to it was just a dreadful and tone-deaf idea that I am astonished made it through development and
should have been cut.

Plus, DNF's Octobrain levels are terrible.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I never liked Duke3d as much as other people. I never liked Duke and the gameplay wasn't as good as the competition. For me its significance is more in the advances it brought to FPS genre:

1. interactivity with the environments: lights that can turn on/off, vending machines, walls that can break, earthquake that modify the scenario! toilets with sound!
2. inventive weapons, like a shrink ray or the freeze gun
3. quick action key: the kick key
4. more freedom in the environment, from underwater exploration to jetpacks
5. more inventive levels apart of killing stuff, with more integrated exploration and puzzles/twist. I remember one where you had to shrink yourself to be able to advance?

So it's easy to see the influence it had in future games.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

catlord posted:

The Hive was bad. In Duke3D the situation was treated pretty seriously, trying to add comedy to it was just a dreadful and tone-deaf idea that I am astonished made it through development and
should have been cut.

Plus, DNF's Octobrain levels are terrible.

Duke3d was also pretty questionable because the trapped women were just there, with no gameplay element attached to it. You could ignore them or you could shoot them and there was no consequence either way. The Nintendo 64 version at least let you save them, even including a total at the end of the level screen.

But they can easily have a Duke Nukem movie. All they need to do is not let any misogynistic nerds include their Aliens fan fiction in the script.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Barudak posted:

I've learned that alot of the enemies in the game have a lag behind on their hit area if you circle around them, and you CAN actually dodge around to fight even hitscan enemies like the Enforcer. I'm not sure if every enemy in the game is like this, but it does seem to work.

ponzicar posted:

Duke3d was also pretty questionable because the trapped women were just there, with no gameplay element attached to it. You could ignore them or you could shoot them and there was no consequence either way. The Nintendo 64 version at least let you save them, even including a total at the end of the level screen.

But they can easily have a Duke Nukem movie. All they need to do is not let any misogynistic nerds include their Aliens fan fiction in the script.

There was absolutely concequence for killing them. They would often have a tag attached to them to spawn more enemies if you killed them. (in the base game anyway. it had to be manually set up so most usermaps never bothered to do this.) The severity of it depended on what the level designer felt like doing, but this happened the most in Episode 2, and you'd sometimes get an extra 4 or 5 enemies added to an area for doing it. Episode 1 wasn't nearly as punishing, but that had alot to do with the areas they were placed in being rather claustrophobic.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 12, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Plan Z posted:

It was pretty bad. The women were all being kidnapped and being some kind of force-sexed by the alien hive (you could hear them moaning in the level). Duke sees the twins, they say something about gaining weight, then he says something like "It looks like you're.... hosed." It was definitely DNF that he turned into someone hate-able.

The first time I played DNF I interpreted that line completely differently. He sets it up like he's about to crack wise, then subverts expectations by flatly stating that they're hosed. That was the whole joke, no further implications. It got a chuckle out of me. Then I got on the forums after finishing the game and everyone was pissed off about it. I guess that I'm as tonedeaf as the writers.

The overarching problem with DNF Duke was that he was written as if he were an actual badass, which makes the character into the thing he's supposed to be parodying. There shouldn't be a Duke Nukem movie at all, but 2/3D Duke could still work and John Cena being a goofball and fighting Dr. Proton is the best possible outcome so I have some hope for it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Like I was saying you already got a great modern Duke characterization out of Duke 1 and 2. No need to come up new to "fix" him, just bring him back to daytime TV & VHS action movie loving gym dork Duke.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Let me tell you about this game called Blood...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
duke is misogynist af and the property should stay in the ground and tbh this sentence in particular is not making me feel like they're gonna do any better with the movie

quote:

“He’s a parody of 1980s action heroes and he’s like Deadpool in terms of being able to break the fourth wall,” Haran said. “We see a lot of humor in his confronting the values of today while trying to save the world.”

The Kins posted:

ngl i'm glad because 50 bucks for a physical copy was way too steep for me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Let me tell you about this game called Blood...

Yuuuurp

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Have it co-star Oprah Winfrey. Duke and Oprah kicking alien rear end and blowing poo poo up side by side while discussing their favorite novels.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just remake Army of Darkness but instead of undead its aliens, there I made a Duke Nukem movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Have it co-star Oprah Winfrey. Duke and Oprah kicking alien rear end and blowing poo poo up side by side while discussing their favorite novels.

"You know Oprah I feel like the Time Travelers Wife was a morose and self indulgent mess that also occasionally veered into concerning issues involving consent due to age. "

"Duke, blow it out your rear end"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^^See now that's funny.

Duke would probably work best in kind of a Last Action Hero situation, but instead of the setting conforming to his knowledge of movie tropes, he's just constantly wrong beacuse he expects it to. And yes, sort of goofy movie dork Duke is much better than played-straight rear end in a top hat Duke who never gets any pushback. His most famous quote is from They Live. That's not even a big blockbuster action movie, that's a cult classic. He's a nerd.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Romero just streamed some stuff from E5M3 and it looks fantastic. holy poo poo that soundtrack.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348219753

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1072964575413370890

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I have decided: this is Early FPS adjacent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwIf5EnEd50

Just officially launched on Steam, installing when I get home :neckbeard:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drat, came here to post this exact thing.

They're not lying though... That's the best. Romero should have used it or something like it for episode 5.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

build engine games seem to just have lovely enemies in general, just guys constantly chipping away at you in really hard to avoid ways. people give blood poo poo for its hitscan enemies, but at least that game gives you a fair amount of indirect fire options to deal with them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have less of an issue with the enemies and more of a problem with explosions being realistically deadly. Duke Nukem gives you more than enough health but if you're anywhere near an explosion or fall from a height greater than 10 feet you're done.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
y'all ever get really bummed out and depressed at how id's release of the source code for all its games up to doom 3 meant that each game (yes even doom 3) was able to be taken care of by its community and cultures were built around those games and lots of awesome and really cool deriviative works were formed from those games, leading to life changing things (holy moly! so and so map designer is now lead producer on AAA title!) for those communities and how it was like a bright shining beacon of how to treat your games when their commercial life has been expended

but then no one followed in their footsteps and guarded their code and tools like they were biological diseases that can never escape, leading to hundreds of games that are basically abandoned forever.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Duke3D's graphics (like many shooters from that era) always seemed lacklustre to me, like downscaled photographs as opposed to pixel art, and the colour palette seems washed out. In Doom, most of the art has sharp details that don't look resampled which helps separate it from many of its contemporary peers. Nothing says "mid 90s" like downsampled photographs converted to 256 colours.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Volte posted:

Duke3D's graphics (like many shooters from that era) always seemed lacklustre to me, like downscaled photographs as opposed to pixel art, and the colour palette seems washed out. In Doom, most of the art has sharp details that don't look resampled which helps separate it from many of its contemporary peers. Nothing says "mid 90s" like downsampled photographs converted to 256 colours.

duke would be the ugliest of the big build engine games if it wasnt for redneck rampage

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

more like :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mordja posted:

DN is funny, tho.