Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's more a question of definitions? For a 2e Acanthus, being told somebody was kidnapped and carried across the Hedge to Arcadia is the equivalent of being told somebody was kidnapped and stolen away to mathematics.

Brb prepping game about dealing with the Great Mathvasion

I also enjoyed the Phantom Tollbooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There’s a difference between having a destiny and having a mission. Pyros is necessarily tied into all five subtle Arcana because it participates in the creation and refinement of human souls, but primarily identifying it with Fate is a clear mistake.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Zereth posted:

This is such a change from oWoD Prime, which I remember not being able to do much of anything at all on its own beyond manipulating quintessence, but needed as a supplement for a lot of things you'd want to do with other Spheres.

Ah, oWoD Prime was pretty powerful as well on it's, own, you could inflict aggravated damage with Prime 3 without Forces or anything by igniting the quintessence pattern of your victim.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Prime 4 lets you give people Obsessions as divine missions. Pyros is intensely Obrimos, because it's the fire of creation, not a living narrative logic.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I've just gotten way the gently caress into Demon (which, if you haven't yet, do - that poo poo loving rules.) I find the idea that the Exarchs and the God Machine have a pretty solid alliance makes perfect sense, is thematically appropriate, and meshes well with their game-lines. The God Machine's plans would presumably be massively hosed up if the Pentacle won, it's totally unsurprisingly that sometimes the G-M would want to interfere against them on pure self interest. On the other hand the fact that the Exarchs are down with the G-M, and sometimes help it out of their own self interest is something I find incredibly terrifying. I'm not entirely sure why. Something about what that implies... a lack of interest in supernal affairs on the G-M part, I suppose, strikes me as deeply creepy. Like, we know the G-M deals with scattered timelines and alternate universes and that's all the kind of Archmage poo poo that should get the Exarchs all annoyed and competitive. Hmm. This is a bit of a stretch, I suppose, but it seems like it implies that the Supernal and Arcane Physics are fairly discrete and don't interact much, because if they did I feel like the two forces would compete more. But... that's not how either of the two lines imply their supernatural powers work, they both claim to be manipulating the actual occult underpinnings of reality. Honestly, it strikes me as weird enough to almost give credence to the mage theories that there's something beyond the Supernal and the demon theories that the God Machine came from outside the universe and that there might be a true creator beyond it.

edit: and also, hilariously, this leads to the idea that maybe Mages aren't learning the secrets about the Platonic truths of reality, they're just channeling energy from another arcane realm that happens to manifest in a surprisingly variable number of ways. Like, they're not learning how poo poo really works, they're more like say Geists, it's just that their source of power doesn't have the strict thematics.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 12, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The God Machine is basically all the pointlessness and alienation of the phenomenal world. Of course the Seers use and support The System! I assumed from the get go that they'd actually prefer to achieve their aims through infrastructure rather than through sorcery, because the latter's sacred and proprietary.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Brb prepping game about dealing with the Great Mathvasion

AKA what every Mysterium focused mage story I've played ends up turning into.

I just wanted to be Indiana Jones.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ironslave posted:

"What Supernal World do Archmages see in Mage Sight" is something I'd never thought to ask, but now that you've mentioned it I can't stop wondering about it.

One of their own design.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dave Brookshaw posted:

One of their own design.

Which is to say the Aether, the obvious best one and therefore the one that every mage enlightened enough to walk the Golden Road would naturally choose.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

Which is to say the Aether, the obvious best one and therefore the one that every mage enlightened enough to walk the Golden Road would naturally choose.

Letting someone else's symbols define your metaphysical perspective? This is why you'll never be an Archmage, Ferrinus

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Forces and Prime and the realm they comprise aren't "someone else's" symbols any more than water is "someone else's" beverage.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Personally I would assume most Archmages basically have a Mage sight that modifies and develops out of their original Watchtower - Unless they have some serious reason for philosophical issues with it. Of course I also interpret the watchtowers pretty widely for how I represent Mage Sight to my players, especially those with Proximus Dynasties or Legacies. In particular, one PC has a symbolic register defined by her Dynasty's Ascended founder, and an Archmage from the same lineage (the Stylite, a great great great great aunt) has a very similar Mage Sight. If anything the Stylite has a more typically Obrimos Mage Sight, due to returning from the dynasty's very Suhrawardi-influenced schema of descending light and prismatic refraction to a somewhat more classical Obrimos sight.

I've had a lot of fun with these PCs and the al-Zahra dynasty in particular has been great.

We also have a tarot-symbolism-centric Mastigos with no Fate magic.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Yeah, but Archmastery isn't utilizing the Arcana, it's studying them so much you begin to merge your identity with the platonic truths about the Arcana. I drink a hell of a lot of water, but I'm not "Digital Osmosis, the organic chemist who's a world renowned scholar of the properties of water." You can kick a ball without knowing what the symbols to describe your change in acceleration leading up to the kick mean. Forces isn't the laws of physics, it's the study of physics.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

For the record I also significantly de-standardized Archmastery, since I'm playing a game at the level of non-archmasters, so their defining quality in my setting is that they each have some kind of cosmic curse from the Abyss that prevents their Ascension; Merlin for example is bound to travel only within timelines where Camelot fails, and his Ascension can only occur when that utopia survives a generation.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tias posted:

Ah, oWoD Prime was pretty powerful as well on it's, own, you could inflict aggravated damage with Prime 3 without Forces or anything by igniting the quintessence pattern of your victim.

Couldn't any sphere deal aggravated damage at 3 dots, though?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ulmont posted:

Couldn't any sphere deal aggravated damage at 3 dots, though?

No, Mage the Ascension was all over the loving place.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On their own, only Entropy, Forces, Prime and possibly Life.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/1072798835632676865

Welp, looks like someone's getting a minder

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

all eyes in the room slowly and inexorably turn towards a Castlevania-esque wizard's hut in Australia

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

So excited to apply for legal diablerie.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Daeren posted:

all eyes in the room slowly and inexorably turn towards a Castlevania-esque wizard's hut in Australia

:yeah:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The job consists of swatting Martin's knuckles with a copy of Chicago By Night and saying 'No!' in a clearp, sharp tone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dawgstar posted:

The job consists of swatting Martin's knuckles with a copy of Chicago By Night and saying 'No!' in a clearp, sharp tone.
No no you use the copy of Montreal By Night to smack him; the copy of Chicago By Night is for threatening to send him to Gary, Indiana.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The job consists of swatting Martin's knuckles with a copy of Gypsies and saying 'No!' in a clearp, sharp tone.

Fixed that for you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Duties include feeding, watering, editing racism and ensuring Swed Drac stops masturbating in the public

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Its kind of funny that they didn't actually have a brand manager to begin with, given how much they were blathering on about transmedia empires and whatnot. Its not quite as hilariously awful as some of their missteps, but "try to build a multimedia revenue stream out of an IP by leveraging the expertise of LARPers" has a special ring of funnystupid for those who have worked in a corporate environment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can I apply Loomer to that position somehow?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like StephenLS is the one they probably want, assuming they don't want a numbers person wearing a suit who's secretly not that interested in vampires.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

moths posted:

Can I apply Loomer to that position somehow?

Daeren posted:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
When I come to power, I will institute the Great Purge of the World of Darkness, once and for all killing the gameline so that it may never again rise to haunt us and tarnish our cherished teenage memories.

You don't need a gameline. YOU NEED TO DIE.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Loomer posted:

When I come to power, I will institute the Great Purge of the World of Darkness, once and for all killing the gameline so that it may never again rise to haunt us and tarnish our cherished teenage memories.

He's got mah vote!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

Listen, as long as we can keep the Chronicles stuff going and the anniversary stuff (holding out hope for Orpheus or Reckoning anniversary editions) then you may do what you wish.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Last I checked, the anniversary editions were over and there weren't going to be any more.

That was before the last shakeup, though, so who knows?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure the anniversary editions were cancelled because nuWolf was being dicks about it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Last I checked, the anniversary editions were over and there weren't going to be any more.

That was before the last shakeup, though, so who knows?

God drat it.

Kurieg posted:

I'm pretty sure the anniversary editions were cancelled because nuWolf was being dicks about it.

SWEDRACULA! :argh:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Desiden posted:

Its kind of funny that they didn't actually have a brand manager to begin with, given how much they were blathering on about transmedia empires and whatnot. Its not quite as hilariously awful as some of their missteps, but "try to build a multimedia revenue stream out of an IP by leveraging the expertise of LARPers" has a special ring of funnystupid for those who have worked in a corporate environment.

Frankly? I’m pretty sure they called it Head Storyteller. Same job description and responsibilities as far as I can tell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The first W20 book that came out after NuWolf bought the rights from CCP had a note in the front forced in that said something to the effect of "There are many canons but this book is especially not canon, but it sort of is, but it's really not."
Which should have been a warning sign. The latest book othering transpeople and describing garou sex as so vigorous it renders IUDs ineffective was a goddamn warning klaxon.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Incidentally, despite my lengthy annoyance at Shattered Dreams overemphasizing Uluru (it's really not that big a deal to 99% of Australian Indigenous peoples, because they didn't have a unified religion before white people turned up and they still don't. It's a major landmark with important spiritual components for the locals but it's in the middle of loving nowhere, and in Australia you had five core groupings - the dudes in the middle, the dudes in the mid-top, the dudes along the west coast, the dudes along the north-east coast, and the dudes along the south-east coast - and even within that there were dozens to hundreds of peoples and belief systems) and ignored recent findings about Indigenous agricultural practices pre-colonization, it's still a really good book and the 'no this isn't canon!!!' thing that got inserted was, I'm 99% sure, because it did daring things like straight up say 'the war of tears was bad and it was 100% the Garou Nation's fault, not the BSDs, because they were just looking for a reason' and 'the impergium was unequivocably bad and a trespass by the Garou into a field that Gaia nominated not one, not two, but three whole breeds of Fera to oversee'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, I mean, yes, the war of Tears was 100% the Garou's fault.

It's also 90's whiteguilt wolf as hell. The Bunyip are 100% saintly perfect beings who basically do nothing in their own defense to prevent their ultimate downfall. And the various tribes are acting in ways that are either hideously out of character or just straight up evil. The Uktena conspire to let the bunyip get slaughtered because... er.. (leans in to a stage whisper) The bunyip wouldn't let the Uktena go to Uluru The fact that they're the indigenous people be damned. The Wendigo just did not even loving care. The children of Gaia just sat back and wrung their hands and lamented that screaming "PEACE" at the top of their lungs didn't do anything. The Get of Fenris were racist characatures. The Red Talons were communicating entirely by modulating the word "Rage" in various tones. And the Fianna let it happen because if they tried to stop it they would have lost their tenuous grip on power.