Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

goomsnarr posted:

Theresa May survived the vote of no confidence; 200 - 117.

I loving hate the Tories.

It's fine (and actually worse for her than I expected, it ain't a good result). The next step of the chaos is when all this dancing around Europe trying to get a new deal on the Brexit falls apart.. tomorrow or later this week. 50/50 The opposition calls for a no confidence vote in the government. Which they'd win given the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LingcodKilla posted:

What the hell we are jerking the welcome mat from under war refugees some of which fought for us?

Seriously is nobody looking at the optics for this poo poo?
It doesn't apply to war refugees that haven't gotten convicted for criminal law violations.

It's not quite that horrible, it's lumping non-US citizen Vietnamese in with every other non-US citizen who becomes deportable through having a criminal conviction.
Still lovely because the deportation criteria for criminal convictions are too broad and don't allow for any discretion.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

the writers should bring back hopey

"Hopester" he whispers in the dark prison cell as the last major artery is clogged by plaque. He dies, dropping a bottle of spray tan to smash on the floor.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

joat mon posted:

It doesn't apply to war refugees that haven't gotten convicted for criminal law violations.

It's not quite that horrible, it's lumping non-US citizen Vietnamese in with every other non-US citizen who becomes deportable through having a criminal conviction.
Still lovely because the deportation criteria for criminal convictions are too broad and don't allow for any discretion.

Re-read the article, that's what I thought at first, but that was the initial compromise they reached with Vietnam. They've reversed course and now it's all refugees covered under that program that are eligible for deportation.

Quoting the relevent part here,

quote:

When it first decided to reinterpret the 2008 deal, Donald Trump’s administration argued that only pre-1995 arrivals with criminal convictions were exempt from the agreement’s protection and eligible for deportation. Vietnam initially conceded and accepted some of those immigrants before stiffening its resistance; about a dozen Vietnamese immigrants ended up being deported from the United States. The August decision to change course, reported to a California court in October, appeared to put such moves at least temporarily on ice, but the latest shift leaves the fate of a larger number of Vietnamese immigrants in doubt. Now all pre-1995 arrivals are exempt from the 2008 agreement’s protection.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 12, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
My great-great-grandfather emigrated to the US after he stole a horse, does that mean I'm getting sent back to Germany? :ohdear:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didn’t trumps grandfather break a law?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1072956767187939329?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One of my close friends is the daughter of Hmong refugees and still only has a green card after doing six years in the marines, it's time to start killing people.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

trumps grandpa made the family fortune by making a large chain of brothels

his dad, fred christ trump, made the family fortune bigger by making a series of racist-rear end housing developments in nyc

we know about the orange one

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

trumps grandpa made the family fortune by making a large chain of brothels

his dad, fred christ trump, made the family fortune bigger by making a series of racist-rear end housing developments in nyc

we know about the orange one
Fred then did a bunch of illegal poo poo to pass the money to his kids without paying estate taxes on it. Even with all of that Donnie tried to make him sign a revised will that benefited him above the other Trumpspawn.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
white collar crimes should be the only crimes punishable by death

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trump hasn't tweeted for 10 hours, dude's shook

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Proud Christian Mom posted:

white collar crimes should be the only crimes punishable by death

not emptyquoting

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

my kinda ape posted:

not emptyquoting

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

barron, take a memo

dear diary

i was too upset to even sit at my desk and make stankface today

dictated but not read

alright get out of here kid

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

shame on an IGA posted:

One of my close friends is the daughter of Hmong refugees and still only has a green card after doing six years in the marines, it's time to start killing people.

Someone hosed her over pretty good. I got my green card, enlisted, and I think it was like 6 weeks into basic training I was thrown in the duty van with a bunch of other immigrants and taken off to a federal court house to swear in.

I mean, it's a joke to expect marines to really look after their people, but my poo poo got started after filling in a form at reception with a chaplain for fucks sake. When you're in the military it's a special expedited process and almost no work at all for the military to process it, literally no cost, and then you've got someone eligible for a clearance after its all done.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EBB posted:

barron, take a memo

dear diary

i was too upset to even sit at my desk and make stankface today

dictated but not read

alright get out of here kid

Nah, very busy with all this

https://twitter.com/POTUS_Schedule/status/1072847381098586113

Infrastructure stuff?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Today I learned that Trump's dad's middle name was Christ :chloe:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The WHORC

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Re-read the article, that's what I thought at first, but that was the initial compromise they reached with Vietnam. They've reversed course and now it's all refugees covered under that program that are eligible for deportation.

Quoting the relevent part here,
No, there is no agreement for deporting legally-in-the-US Vietnamese no matter when they came to the US because those people can't be deported. Unless they break the law.
There were 750,000 to 1,000,000 Vietnamese immigrants to the US from 1975 to 1995. Trump's change in deportation policy applies only to the 5000 or so of that much larger number who have gotten deportable criminal convictions.

Read The 2008 agreement.
The pre-1995 Vietnamese that we're talking about were and are all in the US legally. However, they are not US citizens. As such, they can have their ability to remain in the US legally taken away if they are convicted of a broad range of crimes. The 2008 agreement exempts pre-1995 non-citizen but legally-in-the-US Vietnamese from the same deportation process that applies to every other legally-in-the-US non-citizen.
The normal deportation process (in this context) is that if a non-US citizen is convicted of any of a broad range of crimes, they become eligible for deportation and will be deported in the normal, though slow, course of events.
The policy basis for the 2008 agreement was essentially that Vietnam said, "We don't want those assholes who fought against us and then went and then committed crimes in your county to come back to Vietnam," and the US said, "You know, we really kind of hosed those people over during the war, sending them back to the country they fought against on our behalf would be really lovely of us. We don't care that they committed crimes here in the US in this instance, they can stay even though they're deportable."

For example, the 2008 agreement sets of the procedures for post-1995 deportations:

quote:

Removable Persons and Conditions of Acceptance
1. The Vietnamese Government will accept the return of Vietnamese citizens in accordance with Article 1 and item 2 of Article 2 of this Agreement, if upon investigation the individual meets the following requirements:
(a) The individual is a citizen of Vietnam and is not a citizen of the United States or of any other country;
(b) The individual previously resided in Vietnam and has no current residence in a third country;
(c) The individual has violated U.S. laws and has been ordered by competent authority removed from the United States; and
(d) If the individual has been convicted of a criminal offense (including immigration violation), the person will have completed any imprisonment before removal, and any reduction in sentence will have been ordered by competent authority.
a: Vietnamese?
b: from Vietnam?
c: being deported (removed) for breaking US law?
d: finished their sentence?
If all 4, Vietnam will take back their citizens. A standard removal agreement.

However, section 2, having to do with pre-1995 deportations/removals is different:

quote:

Removable Persons and Conditions of Acceptance
2. Vietnamese citizens are not subject to return to Vietnam under this Agreement if they arrived in the United States before July 12, 1995, the date on which diplomatic relations were re-established between the U.S. Government and the Vietnamese Government. The U.S. Government and the Vietnamese Government maintain their respective legal positions relative to Vietnamese citizens who departed Vietnam for the United States prior to that date.
The 2008 agreement doesn't cover non-deportable/removable persons because they're not deportable/removable.

e:
To correct the quote from the article:

quote:

When it first decided to reinterpret the 2008 deal, Donald Trump’s administration argued that only pre-1995 arrivals with criminal convictions were exempt from the agreement’s protection and eligible for deportation. Vietnam initially conceded and accepted some of those immigrants before stiffening its resistance; about a dozen Vietnamese immigrants ended up being deported from the United States. The August decision to change course, reported to a California court in October, appeared to put such moves at least temporarily on ice, but the latest shift leaves the fate of a larger number of Vietnamese immigrants in doubt. Now all pre-1995 arrivals [with criminal convictions] are exempt from the 2008 agreement’s protection.
[text in brackets added for clarity]

ee:
Vietnam can still say, "Bite me, we're not taking them back" which will set up a diplomatic pissing contest.

Still lovely.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 13, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I stand corrected then, but yeah, still incredibly lovely.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Current event, Trump thought Bruce Wayne was real:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Wayne, I heard about your familys death at the hand of ms13 gangsters, tragic just tragic.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I think I read somewhere that he dodged his mandatory service in Germany or something like that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jokers Gamble posted:

I think I read somewhere that he dodged his mandatory service in Germany or something like that.

What's bone spurs in German?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1072978906578386946?s=21

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/1072491731818557442

Sad day for American liberty in the hinterlands

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

What's bone spurs in German?

Drumpf

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Pregame. Duh.

Or just don't go somewhere people are haphazardly throwing axes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I went to a birthday party at one of those places. I'm amazed there aren't constant injuries.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol the one near me set their own 3 beer limit but also cuts you off if you're even slightly drunk and their people are always snooping around the lanes to make sure the rules get followed

works out fairly well, there's like 8 decent bars within a couple blocks in any direction so if you wanted to throw some axes and then drink proper it's not like you have to get another ride but who knows how it'll get if they drop one in a less dense area.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Jokers Gamble posted:

And was deported from Germany for it. (But he was already a US citizen by that time)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

joat mon posted:

And was deported from Germany for it. (But he was already a US citizen by that time)

Avoiding mandatory military service runs in the family.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/1073016686029234177?s=19

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
USA is loving garbage and I don't know how anyone could even be proud to ~have served~ at this point.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1073030706219995136?s=20

:catstare:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

mods changed my name posted:

USA is loving garbage and I don't know how anyone could even be proud to ~have served~ at this point.

excuse me sir but liberty and freedom ain't free

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Just remember

https://twitter.com/ChipChantry/status/725386496564445184

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The only thing I can say in Newt's favour is he wants a moon base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

The only thing I can say in Newt's favour is he wants a moon base

The cool kids won’t let him into theirs.