Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

This. Ships will always close to point blank. They do not keep their intended distances. Ever.

They definitely keep their intended distances sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I lucked out in my assimilator run and pulled a cruiser out of a gas giant. It's absurdly effective early game because it's able to engage early tech fleets/starbases from outside their range and utterly destroy them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

binge crotching posted:

You basically need to shuffle a couple of them off to every other planet you own so they can purge in parallel.

Stellaris 2.2 being so absolutely married to serial-only pop growth/decline introduces a lot of seriously silly restrictions.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Libluini posted:

So, I finally solved my custom portrait = no pop upkeep by using this guy's solution for a MAXIMUM OVERRIDE. Now my mods are incompatible to other portrait mods, but the game works as intended now!

And just as I'm back in the game, having fun, I'm learning to my dismay that there are assholes around who are building holographic fake planets. Just had that event happen as my scientists are happily scanning a nice new future colony. But nope, it was just a holographic projector so advanced it fooled our sensors until we got too close. Of course we accidentally destroyed the projector afterwards, so now we're down a planet and have no idea how those space assholes did this. We are awesome like that. :shepface:

I think you should be fine with just using this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1587923537

No need to make your stuff incompatible

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I've never witnessed this. Things like battleships move slowly and open fire at max range, but they will also close the distance. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

My Megacorp just got a mascot. One of my explorers reports back saying a baby space amoeba was following him around. 2 years later it grows up and I have a full grow Space monster named Euka as the new mascot of our company. Great publicity AND it keeps pirates away(eats them)!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris 2.2 being so absolutely married to serial-only pop growth/decline introduces a lot of seriously silly restrictions.

I like it better than the old model, where you could spend a decade or whatever committing genocide, but if you stopped it one day it was due to be completed then nobody would have died. Now if you do 50% of the murdering 50% of the people will be dead. Yeah!

It probably shouldn't take forty years, though. Or, it should, but only in a "Realistic Scale" mod for people who want to spend fifty real-life years building a ringworld.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

noticed this sometimes, not sure why it happens, ive definitely had ships line up properly as well.

It probably depends on the behavior of what they're fighting. I don't think that ships take anything into account other than how far away from their target they are. They won't back up if their target gets closer and they don't care about overall formations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

They decline at -5/month or some such.

I calculated the time for a 100+ pop hive world to completely die off as 40 years.
You'd think 100 hive pops on one planet would form a new hive mind or something.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I can see that as a potential result, but I can also see the 'Given the Hive Mind is running millions, there's not enough'. That would honestly be an interesting event somehow, though I'm not sure how such a thing would be triggered. You';d need to both take a sufficient amount of planets, declared a peace, and have enough of them in one place that they revolted and they'd have to win, and not immediately re-merge with their previous collective.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Decided to give joining the AI rebellion a shot, especially since they took my ecumenopolis.

Ended up having too many bio-trophies... because the AI rebellion decided to roll servitor. I couldn't clear biologics off my worlds, so they were massively underemployed, leading to a cascade of no alloys when the organic main fleet (that I had just used to crush the crystal hub) of 19k showed up. At the start of the rebellion, I could've won since my fleet power was far superior even if the ship designs were poo poo.

But then I got hit with -75% penalties for no alloys, and total fleet power went down to under 16k vs. the 19k+6k+2k (two corvette patrol fleets I'd made, though I crushed one when the rebellion started).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish buildings weren't tied to pop size. They should compete with districts and cap out at the planet size. If I want to dump in the resources to make a literal Forge World where only alloys and robots are made I should have that option. Plus it mitigates somewhat the absolute necessity of Pop growth.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Well found a big bug in the vassalize war goal.

If you white peace it says "you'll create a new vassal out of the systems you conquered". But when you get a white peace you don't get anything at all. Even got the pop up of my new "vassal" joining the war, but the vassal isn't real and doesn't exist on the map.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wish buildings weren't tied to pop size. They should compete with districts and cap out at the planet size. If I want to dump in the resources to make a literal Forge World where only alloys and robots are made I should have that option. Plus it mitigates somewhat the absolute necessity of Pop growth.
I'm beginning to think that the beta testers were dumb and a variation on the infrastructure system really was the way to go.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ice Fist posted:

I've never witnessed this. Things like battleships move slowly and open fire at max range, but they will also close the distance. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Artillery seems to work for me at the very least. I don't know about Line, but the difference between Line and Picket is very small. Swarm at least makes the ships orbit their target somewhat so I know that's working.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Are there upgrades for hydroponic farms anymore? My last game I was getting end game techs but it never showed up. It's like to throw them on my agri-worlds but once the pop gets high they just don't provide enough jobs.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I have so many thoughts on the patch/dlc I don't even know where to begin?

I seem to not have enough alloys for going to war unless I run cripplingly short on consumer goods and it's not even a question of mineral supply but rather a question of never having enough pops to build/run the alloy and consumer goods plants? Like I'll be in year 2250 and my fleet is weaker than my fleet used to be at around year 2220 before the patch and I just don't know what to do about it.

In theory I like the new mechanics but I just don't know how to do well in practice anymore and it's kinda frustrating? Or are Megacorps just kinda difficult to play in general? Seems like they shouldn't be given how insanely high your trade values can get, especially if you're a megachurch, so I'm always flush on energy. Should I just use the market for everything?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there a history mode so I can see what happened in an observe game when I wasnt looking? The galaxy became suddenly depopulated with only a few systems claimed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Martout posted:

Should I just use the market for everything?

Yes

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TTBF posted:

Is there a history mode so I can see what happened in an observe game when I wasnt looking? The galaxy became suddenly depopulated with only a few systems claimed.

Either the Gray Tempest or, much less likely, The End of the Cycle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TTBF posted:

I'd kill for a civ style graph showing stuff like population/tech/fleet power/score over time.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Baronjutter posted:

I'd kill for a civ style graph showing stuff like population/tech/fleet power/score over time.

Where is the classic paradox ledger, god dammit?!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The only thing that I dislike about this update is the insane amount it costs to upgrade ships.
Just like....6k alloys when a ship only cost 100 or something is madness.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

The only thing that I dislike about this update is the insane amount it costs to upgrade ships.
Just like....6k alloys when a ship only cost 100 or something is madness.

The cost is bad, the time is worse. Why they changed it when it was fine in 2.1 we'll never know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The refit cost is something I quite like, honestly. It makes it an actual choice whereas previously it really wasn't.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Magil Zeal posted:

As I understand it, it removes all "special features" from the planet. Currently, this includes every feature that increases the amount of a specific kind of district on the planet. So for example, if you have Geothermal vents which provide +2 Generator districts or whatever, terraforming to Gaia removes them. This doesn't seem intentional but currently that's how I understand it works.

Really, this put me in a hard place on my current run?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Aethernet posted:

The cost is bad, the time is worse. Why they changed it when it was fine in 2.1 we'll never know.

Last time I did the math once you get to a certain point, and have enough shipyards, it is faster and cheaper to disband your fleet and rebuild than refit.

Ships have a pretty heft maintenance fee. You still pay it for the years your ships are refitting.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Azuth0667 posted:

Really, this put me in a hard place on my current run?

The truest answer to the problem of habitability is to Borg up son

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
uhh anyone else notice that their first encounter with a strategic will occasionally give the discovery text but there will not be a deposit after it. seems to happen a lot with the gas one

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
The more I think about it, the more I hate the idea of the passive planet type buffs (forge world, rural world, etc).

Two birds could be killed with one stone by making each production building (and its upgrades) provide a planetwide stackable +% bonus (say, 1% per tier) to all jobs of the type that work there similar to the benefits from the energy grid/etc type buildings. Then a T3 building provides a 3% productivity boost, while two T3 buildings gives a +6%, etc. That makes higher tier buildings inherently more process efficient as well as just being more space efficient, which is a common complaint.

Could also bake a .5% bonus into farming/mining/generator districts to make up for the loss of rural worlds or agri-worlds.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Sloober posted:

uhh anyone else notice that their first encounter with a strategic will occasionally give the discovery text but there will not be a deposit after it. seems to happen a lot with the gas one

I have that happen a lot when I discover a new empire and they fax me their survey data.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So if you get first league but don't have megacorp what do you get?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Habitats are very underwhelming now. An Ascension Perk slot and 5k alloys for ... 6 districts? Is that it?

I still built a couple just to see what I could squeeze out of them, but these are really not worth using, I think. I hope the Ringworld is gonna feel more significant.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hey anyone got any hot tips on what makes a planet desirable for hosting the market? The event chain references a variable called Market_rating, but i cant find where thats defined.

e: think I found it.

Seems kinda lame. If I'm reading right its basically Corporate authority good, and to get to tier 3 you need to have an ecumenopolis which is literally impossible by the time the market is founded. Except if you finish first league very fast.

mormonpartyboat posted:

The more I think about it, the more I hate the idea of the passive planet type buffs (forge world, rural world, etc).

Two birds could be killed with one stone by making each production building (and its upgrades) provide a planetwide stackable +% bonus (say, 1% per tier) to all jobs of the type that work there similar to the benefits from the energy grid/etc type buildings. Then a T3 building provides a 3% productivity boost, while two T3 buildings gives a +6%, etc. That makes higher tier buildings inherently more process efficient as well as just being more space efficient, which is a common complaint.

Could also bake a .5% bonus into farming/mining/generator districts to make up for the loss of rural worlds or agri-worlds.

No, because then the only proper way to do it would be to specialize hard as gently caress. The good part about the current system is that the bonuses are good enough to be desirable while being small enough to be optional.

Was thinking that a civic that increased the specialization bonuses would be pretty cool for people who like that sort of thing.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 13, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I played some more and want to refine my complaints about pop growth.

While I can get what I would call an acceptable level of it, I don't like how it scales. It would work much better if it scaled inversely to the number of planets you have because presently you spend a lot of time early on upgrading very little, while later on you spend a lot of time clicking every time you notice something has spare pops or not enough housing. And this goes up slightly more than linearly.

It's still not what I'd call interesting, because you're still just plate spinning, not really picking much of a direction, and this only gets worse the more planets you're controlling.

The whole thing is really backwards and I don't see how it's supposed to scale to having lots of planets in the later stages of the game. It's probably even worse than 2.1 in this respect because you can't frontload building poo poo because that breaks immigration. You're actively encouraged to keep flipping through planets doing one building at a time. This also really hurts trying to remember any sort of theme you were going for with the planet.

Something desperately needs to change with this because this pop growth thing is seriously the root of most of the fuckups in the game at this point.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 13, 2018

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

this only gets worse the more planets you're controlling.

Yeah no kidding. I'm enjoying this one hive-mind game I've been doing but ... I ain't gonna do this again. One time through with micro at this level is more than enough.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lategame you literally dont care spending 10ec extra on upkeep. Just frontload the planet. Your new planets are mostly for raw extraction at that point anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If priority was actually a "do this first, then this" flag you can set instead of turning off jobs I think it would be way easier in the later parts of expansion

Like the individual jobs is helpful early when this stuff matters for the empire but later on if I can just say "okay fill out the + growth first, then the + amenities, then the + minerals" or whatever and never need to come back to re enable jobs that would be a big big improvement

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The way I see it, it's mostly about AI improvement and/or the way sectors work. You shouldn't have to deal with dozens of planets, because by the time you have dozens of planets you shouldn't have to care about optimizing every single one as long as they're "pretty good." Right now I don't think the AI is up to the task, and even if it was, sectors are just broken right now. Since they often get one planet each and you have to allocate resources by each individual sector rather than for the AI generally (or by just having them pull from your main stockpile, maybe with some minimum threshold it won't go under). Fix sectors, and fix the AI, and I don't see the micromanagment as an actual problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you can supply an actually good sector AI which, based on precedent, isn't on the table, we really need some way to overbuild a planet, I would suggest by introducing benefits to doing so. Or we need some way to plan out the planet to have it be built as workers become available, but that creates problems based on highly variable pop growth rates due to migration, where things would complete in unpredictable orders across your empire.

So to refine previous suggestions, make overbuilding increase pop growth and, preferably, remove building upkeep and attach it instead to the jobs for that building. It's unfortunate but I don't think that upkeep can work when you have partial staffing of buildings. Because it's just an attention tax where you have to manually oversee each stage of the process otherwise so as to not crash your economy. It worked fine on 2.1 because if a building wasn't being worked it didn't cost upkeep, or you could turn it off, but you can't do that when you're abstracting it away from 1 building 1 specific pop.

Further to this, pop growth should ideally be more centered on worlds you have chosen to develop. This should occur fairly organically with how immigration pull works if you also introduce growth incentives to it. Heavily urbanized and overdeveloped worlds will grow much more quickly and also pull from other planets/not export their population. This helps you focus your investment and attention on a smaller number of worlds at a time and leaves rural worlds mostly free to fill out as necessary. Which works better as well because they don't generally have to worry about strategic resource costs. Subsequently I would suggest cutting the base growth rate somewhat and also changing gene clinics so that they only really work on densely populated worlds (meaning you don't want to build them everywhere). You could do this by making them expensive or you could make it multiply the growth bonus from heavy development rather than a flat bonus. But either way I think the goal should be to have a few, heavily developed planets that you focus on, and have that be the place where most of the population changes occur. Rather than having to constantly flip through all your frontier worlds and maximising pop growth on them because it's the only way you can do it.

Aside from the obvious verisimilitude benefits it would really help smaller empires maintain a lot of activity, because obviously space extraction could actually support a couple of heavily developed worlds in terms of minerals and energy, it helps focus your attention to places you choose to develop, and it helps facilitate automation of planets you don't necessarily care much about. They could be much more safely put on autopilot if the only thing it needs to do is build districts and some general utility buildings. They are also free to create a small surplus of emigration once they're completed without crashing critical second and third stage resource production due to depopulation.

It'd also I think be more interesting to have actual urban centres because the colonise everything approach combined with how immigration works means that what you generally end up with otherwise is mostly a bunch of planets at similar development levels, because populated worlds feed all their population to new colonies and don't gain increased growth to replace it, so your colonies rapidly catch up with your core worlds and everything devolves into a very similar morass. More interesting I think would be if it worked the other way around, where established but comparatively low population frontier worlds fed the cities. And this rapid centralised pop growth could even be a place where *spit* crime could come into play somehow.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 13, 2018