Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pash posted:

I honestly don't know if 11 was really good or just so much better than books 7-10 then it felt that way but ya.

Knife of Dreams very much felt like a return to form, and it reminded me why I loved the series so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Agreed. Resort to chapter summaries and don't feel bad about it, but be sure to read/listen to the last one. In addition to being one of the best chapters in the series, it's also the signal that you're almost through the mid-series slump and back to the (relatively) good poo poo. Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) isn't great but it's definitely better than WH, and Knife of Dreams (book 11) is among the strongest RJ authored books in the series, including amazing things like Perrin, Egwene, and Elayne chapters you actually want to read (though there are still some duds), Rand doing things in addition to being emo, and Mat in full Mat mode.

Absolutely nothing at all happens in Crossroads of Twilight. I know statements like that get tossed around frequently online but it's true in this case. You can skip the entire book and miss nothing at all in plot progression or character development.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like quite literally the only thing the book does is replay the events of the one worthwhile chapter from the previous book, from several different characters’ / parties’ perspectives. It’s like the whole goal was to release a book without covering any ground at all.

(Which may have been true as he was writing to cover his wife’s medical bills at the time)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Subvisual Haze posted:

Absolutely nothing at all happens in Crossroads of Twilight. I know statements like that get tossed around frequently online but it's true in this case. You can skip the entire book and miss nothing at all in plot progression or character development.

You would miss the Mat chapters, which is a crime in itself. Also, said Mat chapters in WH after a whole book without Mat chapters (wtf Robert Jordan?) are good, imho. So are the ones in Crosdroads of Twilight. How you can say there's no character development in the book is beyond me. There are even plot advances.

Crossroads of Twilight spoilers. Mat and Tuon and the whole interaction with the Seanchan is one of my favorite parts in the books. There's significant progress in the Andor civil war arc. Alviarin is deposed as Keeper. Egwene gets captured. There's more happening in other books, but it's simply not true that nothing happened in CoT.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

You would miss the Mat chapters, which is a crime in itself. Also, said Mat chapters in WH after a whole book without Mat chapters (wtf Robert Jordan?) are good, imho.

Like I said in a previous post, everyone keeps proverbially sucking Mat's dick and I just don't get it. WH spoilers, I guess: Some random lady tried to buy Mat, he found out he's kind of a rebound for Queen Tylin (or however it's spelled), and the lady of the moons or whatever has been found but I don't know her name or literally anything other than that she's come up. Is she the one who tried to buy him?. That is the extent of my awareness of what's going on with Mat in this book. Definitely don't feel like I'm "missing out" on any Mat content because it's equally as riveting as anything else in the book.

That said, it beats Perrin chapters :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 4, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

Oh lord get your 90s vintage Three Wolf Moon shirt ready

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Like I said in a previous post, everyone keeps proverbially sucking Mat's dick and I just don't get it. WH spoilers, I guess: Some random lady tried to buy Mat, he found out he's kind of a rebound for Queen Tylin (or however it's spelled), and the lady of the moons or whatever has been found but I don't know her name or literally anything other than that she's come up. Is she the one who tried to buy him?. That is the extent of my awareness of what's going on with Mat in this book. Definitely don't feel like I'm "missing out" on any Mat content because it's equally as riveting as anything else in the book.

You've already passed this in the Winter's Heart chapters, but I', spoiling this for everybody else. The foxes foretold Mat's future. Like that he was to die and live again for example. And that he was to marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons. And to quote the relevant chapter in Winter's Heart (What a Veil Hides): "Behind her veil, she was merely the High Lady Tuon, of no higher rank than many others of the Blood, but in her heart, always, she was Tuon Athaem Kore Paendrag, Daughter of the Nine Moons, and she had come to reclaim what had been stolen from her ancestor." And remember that the Seanchan Empire were founded by the sons of the last person who ruled all the mainland countries in WoT (everything south of the Great Blight and west of the Aiel Waste), Artur Paendrag/Artur Hawkwing. And yes, Tuon tried to buy Mat.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As much as I bitch about these books I do appreciate the recap, Torrannor. It's so easy to lose track of important details even if you're heavily invested in a series, never mind when you're not :) I forgot he was foretold to marry her / everything else the foxes said.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm glad I poked in here since this seems to be the unofficial WoT thread. I've been reading them all year and finally go to The Gathering Storm after stalling on WH or CoT. Those were a drag and I found the Perrin and Elayne chapters in there are brutal to get through. Finally on greener pastures at least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Like quite literally the only thing the book does is replay the events of the one worthwhile chapter from the previous book, from several different characters’ / parties’ perspectives. It’s like the whole goal was to release a book without covering any ground at all.

(Which may have been true as he was writing to cover his wife’s medical bills at the time)

Jordan admitted in later interviews that that book was basically a failed experiment -- he was trying to do "reactions to Big Event, happening worldwide" but it just didn't pan out right.

Sab669 posted:

As much as I bitch about these books I do appreciate the recap, Torrannor. It's so easy to lose track of important details even if you're heavily invested in a series, never mind when you're not :) I forgot he was foretold to marry her / everything else the foxes said.

Yeah, the other relevant detail on her is that she's basically the heir to the Seanchan throne.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK, finished with Winter's Heart. That sure was an ending, indeed.

Even though I am lukewarm on the series, skipping a book [and reading the wiki article] seems wrong to me. That said, I did it anyways. I haven't bought Knife of Dreams yet, so I could still buy Crossroads and listen to it, but if it's really as bland as everyone says it is...?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah, read it. You're staying down here in this crab bucket with the rest of us

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone who called Brandon's Secret Project being a Magic The Gathering Tie-in may claim their reward here

Full novella will be released within a day of now, for free.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am back thread. I just finished Lord of Chaos. I love this series. Everyone has grown on me. The only character I actually dislike is Egwene. Even Faile seems decent this reread. She's 17/18 years old. It makes sense that she's like she is. Her relationship with Perrin isn't great, but I no longer hate her character.
Also Matt is great. gently caress the haters.
Currently taking a break and reading the Dresden Files. I'm on Ghost Stories. The series is decent. But also Harry is more Horny than the entire cast of the Wheel of Time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Nah, read it. You're staying down here in this crab bucket with the rest of us

Yea :( Ended up grabbing it this morning. The end of 9 feels too significant to just read the wiki summary for 10

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And the link to the full novella is here

https://brandonsanderson.com/a-christmas-present/

apparently he just wanted to write a 250 page magic the gathering fantasy horror fanfic

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This is literally the most Sanderson thing in the world, and he'll probably still get more pages out on his planned books than any other 3 authors I read.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i read skyward and enjoyed it a lot, a very good quick pulp read.

the 'how to train your dragon meets ender's game' description he gives is extremely accurate, although if I were him I'd hesitate to invoke ender's game in a positive way in the year of our lord 2018

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

This is literally the most Sanderson thing in the world, and he'll probably still get more pages out on his planned books than any other 3 authors I read.

It truly is. I am not even a Magic the Gathering person and I still enjoyed this read. Really looking forward to the State of the Sanderson next week!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

I am back thread. I just finished Lord of Chaos. I love this series. Everyone has grown on me. The only character I actually dislike is Egwene. Even Faile seems decent this reread. She's 17/18 years old. It makes sense that she's like she is. Her relationship with Perrin isn't great, but I no longer hate her character.
Also Matt is great. gently caress the haters.
Currently taking a break and reading the Dresden Files. I'm on Ghost Stories. The series is decent. But also Harry is more Horny than the entire cast of the Wheel of Time.

Sadly Egwene stays poo poo for the whole books, Nynaeve gets better in the later books and so does Elayne.
At least Mat is always fun to read, which makes skipping books a bad idea, at least read his chapters.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

Sadly Egwene stays poo poo for the whole books, Nynaeve gets better in the later books and so does Elayne.
At least Mat is always fun to read, which makes skipping books a bad idea, at least read his chapters.

Book 9 through the end I find Elayne chapters to be worse than Egwene chapters, though I agree with that analysis of the characters. Egwene basically does a mini version of the same I MUST BECOME <STUPID IDEA OF WHAT A LEADER IS> poo poo that Rand does and it's pretty dumb, though *book 12+ spoiler* it is amusing that after he finally gets his poo poo together in the finale of TGS that her immediate plan after receiving him in the White Tower in the first few chapters of ToM is to stop him from breaking the seals and doing what he was finally ready to do.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 13, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Book 9 through the end I find Elayne chapters to be worse than Egwene chapters, though I agree with that analysis of the characters. Egwene basically does a mini version of the same I MUST BECOME <STUPID IDEA OF WHAT A LEADER> poo poo that Rand does and it's pretty dumb, though *book 12+ spoiler* it is amusing that after he finally gets his poo poo together in the finale of TGS that her immediate plan after receiving him in the White Tower in the first few chapters of ToM is to stop him from breaking the seals and doing what he was finally ready to do.

Elayne gets better. She experiences actual character growth and is willing to listen to what Birgette and other people have to say. She can accept when she hosed up and own it which is cool.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RC Cola posted:

Elayne gets better. She experiences actual character growth and is willing to listen to what Birgette and other people have to say. She can accept when she hosed up and own it which is cool.

Yeah, and it only took her getting captured and nearly murdered like, what, three times for her to learn that?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I could easily see someone making Skyward into a movie. Most of Brandon’s stuff I think would fit better on TV or not adapted at all (looking at you, Elantris) but Skyward seems like it was written with a movie in mind.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

On a related note, has there been any updates from that Chinese company he optioned the Cosmere rights to? Last I knew they had the writers from like, xXx and Saw V but that's all I've heard.

I think Mistborn would work fine in a film/trilogy format, but Stormlight needs to be done like Game of Thrones. Ideally by HBO :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel Winter's Heart is giving me false hope. Around the midpoint of the book, there's more and more words about the Seanchan and the gholam, and is giving me excitement for something actually possibly happening soon!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I feel Winter's Heart is giving me false hope. Around the midpoint of the book, there's more and more words about the Seanchan and the gholam, and is giving me excitement for something actually possibly happening soon!

Actually that does pan out and is cool

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They're gonna be a major part of every book from now on.

I think Egwene actually has some character development as well, but not as much as the other Two River people. She profits immensely from her "opponents" being extremely unlikable. It's a good feeling every time she comes out ahead of the other Aes Sedai.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Oh dear, that event got called off due to illness, and now I have a whole evening to fill. Welp. Guess i'll just write a MtG novel."

FoEzy
Dec 9, 2018

YES BUT IT'S PRONOUNCED "Fah-eel" SO YOU SEE...
:goonsay:

I did a reread"of the series and listened to a few of them on audiobooks. It really upset me how many names I was mispronouncing in my head on my original read. Faile was bad and the other one that really bothered me was "Birgette" being pronounced with three syllables, somehow.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

FoEzy posted:

I did a reread"of the series and listened to a few of them on audiobooks. It really upset me how many names I was mispronouncing in my head on my original read. Faile was bad and the other one that really bothered me was "Birgette" being pronounced with three syllables, somehow.

It's not your fault, Robert Jordan was wildly inconsistent.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Pretty sure the pronunciation changes from some of the older audiobooks to the newer ones. I think the narrators stay the same, too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FoEzy posted:

Bir-gee-tuh triggers me every time I hear them say it. I don't know why, it just sounds so dumb.

Worse than Faile; regardless of whether you say it "Fail" or "Fah-eel".

Skyward's picking up now that I've gotten a little over 200 pages into it. Past the (first?) Interlude. I knew it would, because it's Sanderson, but since it's non-Cosmere I don't feel like I NEED TO READ IT RIGHT NOW

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can’t wait to hear how the narrator gets to “Tel’aran’rhiod” and all you hear is a a sheaf of papers fluttering to the studio floor and footsteps clomping to the door

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
That definitely happens. I'm listening to the books now and am almost done with with winters heart and I think pronunciations have changed a couple times for certain characters.

Also going back a page or two I actually have been totally okay with winters heart as a book. Perrin's chapters haven't been good but Mat has been great. Much better than not even having him in the previous book. A good amount of Rand not being a crazy idiot too so far.

My expectations were low which also helped a ton.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Who is that representing the Blue Man Group to the left of the group in the foreground? Even the horse is all jazzed up with blue reigns.

That said I still think Fires of Heaven has the worst cover art.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think the figure in blue is supposed to be Tuon. Selucia riding between her and Mat. Blue person is dark skinned, has short hair, and could just have very small breast visible through the clothing? Also wears considerably finer clothing than the other people.

I'm spoilering it because of the guy who's reading Winter's Heart right now, and might not know about Tuon and Mat yet.

At least Fires of Heaven has a very cool e-book cover.

And Winter's Heart has a badass cover, which fits the book perfectly:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, I think you're right. I 100% thought that was a dude and I could not figure out who Liberace was. The artwork on the newer editions are loving great, when I was still buying the physical books I would always ask for those versions just because they look better.

But all of the original stuff is so goofy :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That cover artist is just SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD

It's like, ok he can draw horses, but his take on every single character is like a master class in how not to do everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade