Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Right, so I drank some whiskey today and felt inspired to do the Big Mac challenge. The result was something just a bit cheaper, but quite possibly less healthy. I'm not gonna get all fancy like Mandoric and post photos of the cooking process(because I forgot to take any and it's not that complicated anyway) but you get to see the horrifying yet delicious end product at least.

Ingredients:

There's also an apple but I forgot to put it in the photo.
Cost:
450g cheap "honey-marinated" bits of chicken thighs: 3€ per box, 1€ per portion. Note that I picked the marinated version because it was cheap, not because it's good
200ml UHT coconut cream: €1 (bit more than is needed but that's the size it comes in)
125g ball of mozzarella: €0,90 (once again a bit more than necessary)
Mango chutney: €3,10 for a 350g jar, gonna say that's good for 7 portions so €0,45 per portion
Apple: those fuckers at Lidl rang it up as a pomegranate and charged me 70 cents but I guess a mid-large apple is like €0,30?
Wholegrain lasagna: €1,50 for a box, you use maybe 10% for a portion so let's say €0,15

Total: €3,80. Not included in the cost are the following spices: crushed dry chilies, paprika powder, curry powder, salt, black pepper

How to make it:
0) Set your oven to 200 celsius or whatever the equivalent amount of freedom degrees is
1) Mix the coconut cream, a bit of mango chutney(depending on how sweet you want it) and the dry spices(i just freeball these, i'm sure you can figure it out) in a dish of some sort and set aside
2) Heat up a pan and fry the chicken in it, then set aside
3) Wash and peel the apple, then chop it into small pieces. Chop the mozzarella into thin slices
4) Take an oven dish of some kind. Put in a bit of cooking oil and spread it around the inside to prevent the food from sticking. Put a layer of the cream sauce in the bottom, then lasagna, then sauce, then chicken and apples, then lasagna, then sauce, etc. The number of layers depends on your dish but the top should be lasagna->sauce->mozzarella
5) Put it in the oven for about 40 minutes and you get this loving thing:

I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't exactly look great. You could make it look better but I'm not running a food blog here so :effort:. It's also a giant pile of carbs and fat so you shouldn't eat it very often. Regardless of all that it's tasty as hell and cheaper than a Big Mac, so maybe try it the next time you want to get a bit closer to that heart attack.

e: da mf snipe z0ne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
The challenge starts in January! You're giving away your secrets! I have a Hawaiian themed idea I'm gonna do, but I'm keeping the details to myself for now.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Doc Walrus posted:

The challenge starts in January!

Oh, I didn't realize this. Just took it as an excuse to foodpost really.

I'll have something else lined up next month.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
foodposting is goodposting without the typo. Also now that I'm out of work and pictures are no longer blocked: :snoo:
So that's like a tropical savory chicken casserole, right? Kick rear end.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to learn how to make brown bread like the serve in steakhouses, does anyone have a cspam approved recipe?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I want to learn how to make brown bread like the serve in steakhouses, does anyone have a cspam approved recipe?

This looks like it would turn out pretty well

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/honey-wheat-bread-like-outback-64435

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

do u mind changing the thread title? replace 'Ketchup' with 'Chup' please

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

this thread is filled with bourgoise decadence. all a strong, healthy peasant needs to sustain himself is 600 calories worth of unflavored porridge. anything more is eating up foodstuffs that could be exported to pay for more impeccable marble statues of Great Leader

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Fallen Hamprince posted:

this thread is filled with bourgoise decadence. all a strong, healthy peasant needs to sustain himself is 600 calories worth of unflavored porridge. anything more is eating up foodstuffs that could be exported to pay for more impeccable marble statues of Great Leader

well where's your unflavored porridge recipe then

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fallen Hamprince posted:

you also need stymie's dog tits avatar

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Crakkerjakk posted:

Mustard Vinaigrette:
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 cup olive oil
Sea salt
Ground black pepper.

Put in jar, shake the hell out of it. Double or triple to fill jar, shake the hell out if it again if it's been sitting in the fridge for a while.

Just made a batch of this for a salad w/ roasted cashews for work tomorrow. Very, very tasty.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Doc Walrus posted:

Just made a batch of this for a salad w/ roasted cashews for work tomorrow. Very, very tasty.

Glad to hear it!! Salad dressings are way cheaper and way tastier if you make them yourself, IMO. And usually with less sugar.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Doc Walrus posted:

So that's like a tropical savory chicken casserole, right? Kick rear end.

Basically yeah. I've tried messing around with the spices but I'm a sucker for fruity & hot foods so this is how I usually make it.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
French Onion Soup! With toast and cheese!

This batch was way too thick for a thermos (it would take forever to clean afterwards) but it was very tasty.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
How much gin do you put in yours

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

twoday posted:

How much gin do you put in yours

silly twoday, the gin goes in the chef

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
good taste in liquor imo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ok so that kombucha scoby finally arrived, but the fluid it was in smelled super vinegary. wonder if that first batch will be anything worthwhile, or just the setup for the second one. bought that thing from some private person on ebay, not anything branded just diy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tried making hummus from scratch for the first time. Results mostly good except I made a stupid rookie mistake when it comes to portioning fresh garlic (which I'm not used to working with) and, um, I no longer have sinus trouble.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

mike12345 posted:

ok so that kombucha scoby finally arrived, but the fluid it was in smelled super vinegary. wonder if that first batch will be anything worthwhile, or just the setup for the second one. bought that thing from some private person on ebay, not anything branded just diy.

Should be fine. Trust the process. About how thick was the SCOBY?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

docbeard posted:

Tried making hummus from scratch for the first time. Results mostly good except I made a stupid rookie mistake when it comes to portioning fresh garlic (which I'm not used to working with) and, um, I no longer have sinus trouble.

Sounds like a fun time! Did you mistake "clove" for "head"?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that's not a rookie mistake, that's a pro move

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Prav posted:

I can see through time...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Crakkerjakk posted:

Should be fine. Trust the process. About how thick was the SCOBY?

pretty wide, like a thin hamburger patty. Like 5mm max?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

mike12345 posted:

pretty wide, like a thin hamburger patty. Like 5mm max?

Yeah, it sounds like it'll be fine.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Prav posted:

That's usually how I roll, honestly. I double the garlic in most recipes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is garlic spicy

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Also I tried something new tonight: Curry as a pasta sauce. I went with butter chicken and pappardelle and it turned out very nice-- Pappardelle is known for being a good sauce delivery system and butter chicken is mostly sauce. No pictures because my lighting is bad on a good day and my kitchen light is loving up again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crakkerjakk posted:

That's usually how I roll, honestly. I double the garlic in most recipes.

This ended up being about 3 times as much as the recipe called for (after I made the second batch with no garlic and mixed them together) and honestly, it's rather tasty but I'll probably dial it back a bit to 2x next time.

Doc Walrus posted:

Also I tried something new tonight: Curry as a pasta sauce. I went with butter chicken and pappardelle and it turned out very nice-- Pappardelle is known for being a good sauce delivery system and butter chicken is mostly sauce. No pictures because my lighting is bad on a good day and my kitchen light is loving up again.

I've done this before with Thai red curry as a base and it's delicious. (It's also a meal that I can only make for myself because my roommate cannot tolerate much spice for medical reasons. It's sad, because she used to love spicy food.)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if anything happens to my gallbladder i'm going to die, because gently caress if i'm giving up chili peppers for any reason.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh hey there's a cooking thread

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Third in the trilogy of Japanese dishes with wrong names that the Japanese insist are imports, we have Hayashi rice! This delicious dish of beef, mushrooms, and onion in a demiglace sauce is alternately considered to be:

• An... Enthusiastically simplified version of the English word "Hashed". This is probably the most likely, as the late-Meiji IJN cookbook listed potato hash as "dry Hayashi".
• A conjugation of an archaic verb meaning "to energetically dance" or "to use as the basis for marking up prices".
• The involvement of a man named Hayashi, often thought to be either the founder of the prewar book importer and publisher Maruzen; a cook at Seiyoken, one of the first French restaurants in Japan; or a long-forgotten working schlub in Yokohama who found Japanese curry still too spicy and ordered his without the curry powder.

In any case, it's a cafe and quick dinner standby which, while it's certainly alien to western cooking, aligns well with western tastes. And it's an excellent excuse for where the jug wine keeps going.

This particular recipe, cribbed from Sapporo Breweries who of course want to sell you wine, is one of the most convenient without access to canned demiglace and preseasoned roux cubes.

INGREDIENTS (serves 2-3 for $5)
2 cups rice - 50c
200g frozen pot roast or chuck roast - $2
1 medium onion - 10c
1 can (3-4oz) sliced mushrooms - $1.20 bought alone, 50c in bulk
1 clove garlic - negligable
2tbsp butter - 15c
1.5tbsp pastry flour - negligable
300ml red wine - $1.60
Salt, pepper

Seasoning A
1tbsp pastry flour
Salt, pepper - collectively neglicable

Seasoning B
3tbsp tomato ketchup
1tbsp chuno sauce (or sub A1, HP, etc)
1tbsp honey
1 1/2 chicken bouillon cubes - collectively around 70c
200ml hot water
1 bay leaf

PREPARATION
0) Queue up a pot of rice for a few hours later.

I know it looks like a "present" from the cat, but a short length of kombu placed on top of rice improves the flavor and can also be saved in the freezer for a seasoned salad later.
1) Rue having to actually cook when you get a craving, rather than buying a roux cube and a can of demiglace or just popping down to the station area.
2) Miserably rue the price of shaved beef in the northeastern US, where it's an $8/pound specialty cut.
3) Drain the can of mushrooms, and empty onto a paper towel.
4) Remove roast from freezer, and, using a heavy cleaver, shave off thin slices, cutting across the grain. This is far easier if you've got a larger cut of beef you're working with; I started with 700g and now have a 500g piece left to actually roast.
5) Return beef to fridge and wait 2-3 hours for it to thaw.
6) Chop onion in half and peel; slice one half paper-thin and the other half to around 1cm thick.

7) Toss beef with seasoning A, aiming for a somewhat even coat.

8) Assemble seasoning B ingredients...

and mix in a small bowl until combined. Except the bay leaf, don't mix hard enough to combine that.

9) Mince garlic finely.
10) Melt 2tsp butter in a skillet over medium heat.
11) Increase heat to high, and add the beef, rough-cut onions, and mushroom.
Fry 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly, until meat is browned, then remove from the skillet. (Feel free to reuse the bowl you had the raw beef in, it's getting simmered more later.)

12) Reduce heat to medium-high, add another 2tsp butter, and when melted add the thin-sliced onions. Fry 4 minutes, then add the garlic and continue until aromatic.

13) Reduce heat to low, add 1.5tbsp pastry flour, and stir constantly around 1m until sticky - you're essentially making a pan roux from the flour and the butter that the onions had just absorbed.

14) Add red wine, and simmer over medium-high heat for approx 5 minutes, until thickened.

15) Reduce heat to medium, return the beef/mushroom/rough-sliced onion mixture to pan, and simmer another five minutes until rewarmed.
16) Serve alongside rice, garnished with remaining butter.

BONUS poo poo I FORGOT TO PHOTOGRAPH
I was going to make twice-baked potatoes earlier this week, but wasn't thinking and peeled them out of habit before cooking the flesh.

Needless to say, not having skins to stuff ruined this plan.

However, I was able to salvage the filling by adding to two riced potatoes:
- Broiled skin shavings of said potatoes
- 3oz sour cream
- 2 rashers bacon
- 3oz cheddar mix
- salt
- pepper
- 1 green onion
- dash liquid smoke

After this, I formed it into balls - bigger than ping pong, smaller than pool - and made croquettes.

1) Microwave potatoes, and press through ricer or mash thoroughly.
2) Add all other ingredients.
3) Form into balls.
4) Press an egg through a mesh strainer into a bowl. (This is way, way, waaaaaay easier than whipping, and as annoying as it is to clean a mesh a whisk is tbh even worse)
5) Roll through flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs.
6) Fry at 190c/375f until an assertive brown.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Dec 21, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

Hayashi rice!
:shittypop: so it's french onion curry, basically?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Doc Walrus posted:

:shittypop: so it's french onion curry, basically?

a little more tangy from the tomato, esp since i'm cheap and lazy and use ketchup rather than reducing my own, but i'm definitely gonna have to try it with butter rice and a grating of gruyere next time.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mandoric posted:

a little more tangy from the tomato, esp since i'm cheap and lazy and use ketchup

i don't care if this is a trump joke gently caress you

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Peanut President posted:

i don't care if this is a trump joke gently caress you

it's... in the recipe i just posted? :confused: i know you could go classier with it with a proper espagnole-based demiglace, or even just reduced canned tomatoes and red wine vinegar, and i know using ketchup dovetails well with the american stereotype, but it with red wine and chicken stock/soy sauce are basically the standard semi-demi that east asia then arranges the rest of the spices around. to the point where that extra effort pulls you away from the single burner in a 4.5 mat apartment and towards strange restaurants that gave up trying to be versailles in 1989 but still haven't redecorated.

e: oh unless you thought i meant in french onion soup, in which case jesus gently caress no that's a horrifying concept. i feel weird enough using a dash of fish sauce.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I went to the hot sauce store for another giant haul of hot sauces. I got some secret aardvark jerk marinade and some Caribbean hot sauce, so now I need some Caribbean recipes! Who can help me with that?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

I went to the hot sauce store for another giant haul of hot sauces. I got some secret aardvark jerk marinade and some Caribbean hot sauce, so now I need some Caribbean recipes! Who can help me with that?

hot sauce store? Jungle Jim's?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

hot sauce store? Jungle Jim's?

Tears of Joy in Austin, TX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004